Game: FFXI
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-07-03 07:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Phoenix.Sehachan said:
Photoshop your screenshots.
you don't need to set ffxi at 1900x ??? resolution to make it hd , hd resolution starts any larger than 1280x720, if you wan't your game to look good just follow these settings, (sounds settings numbers are optional)

you need anti-aliasing settings turned on, on your video card

other than this it's just photoshop screenshots tweaked with sharp or blur/bloom .etc

Implying everyone's optimal resolution is 1280x720.

It's better to be at the optimal resolution rather than just scraping HD resolutions (It's not real HD anyway)
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Phoenix.Sehachan said:
Photoshop your screenshots.
you don't need to set ffxi at 1900x ??? resolution to make it hd , hd resolution starts any larger than 1280x720, if you wan't your game to look good just follow these settings, (sounds settings numbers are optional)

you need anti-aliasing settings turned on, on your video card

other than this it's just photoshop screenshots tweaked with sharp or blur/bloom .etc

Implying everyone's optimal resolution is 1280x720.

It's better to be at the optimal resolution rather than just scraping HD resolutions (It's not real HD anyway)
i did set to 1280x720 because that's the normal HD res starting, it's just an example, you can set higher than that it will still be a HD res
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 07:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This is an example of the huge impact oversampling can have.
 Shiva.Galbir
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2011-07-03 07:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I was trying to tweek it a bit more and changed the background resolution up. It looks a lot nicer but my text is insanely small any suggestions?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-07-03 07:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Galbir said:
I was trying to tweek it a bit more and changed the background resolution up. It looks a lot nicer but my text is insanely small any suggestions?

Text is based on overlay res, not background.
So just turn that down ^^
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2011-07-03 07:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Kvazz I'll try that. This is the first time I've played with this stuff. lol
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-07-03 07:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

this example it's so wrong in many ways, using bigger background registers to hide the jaggy lines
i assume it does have anti-alias off because the jaggy lines are very noticeable even oversampled, oversampled looks smoother because bigger textures fill everything better, but it looks almost identical to 1.0x matched with the same background size, if you put antialias on matched sized screenshot it will look the same as oversampled
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-03 07:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

this example it's so wrong in many ways, using bigger background registers to hide the jaggy lines
i assume it does have anti-alias off because the jaggy lines are very noticeable if it's bigger textures, oversampled looks smoother because bigger textures fill everything better, but it looks almost identical to 1.0x matched with the same background size, if you put antialias on matched sized screenshot it will look the same as oversampled

Dude... This game doesn't have anti aliasing.

Quote:
Opposite of undersampling, an image is rendered in higher detail and then shrunken to the smaller screen. The end result is that for each pixel on screen, there is more than one pixel of information to draw from, so the system is able to average the information out and create a much more accurate image. This is very similar to the effect known as anti-aliasing, which does basically the same thing but only for polygon edges. Anti-aliasing is a much more efficient approach since oversampling polygon faces is generally not very beneficial, but unfortunately Final Fantasy XI is not compatible with anti-aliasing.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-07-03 07:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

i assume it does have anti-alias off because the jaggy lines are very noticeable if it's bigger textures, oversampled looks smoother because bigger textures fill everything better, but it looks almost identical to 1.0x matched with the same background size, if you put antialias on matched sized screenshot it will look the same as oversampled

Quote:
Opposite of undersampling, an image is rendered in higher detail and then shrunken to the smaller screen. The end result is that for each pixel on screen, there is more than one pixel of information to draw from, so the system is able to average the information out and create a much more accurate image. This is very similar to the effect known as anti-aliasing, which does basically the same thing but only for polygon edges. Anti-aliasing is a much more efficient approach since oversampling polygon faces is generally not very beneficial, but unfortunately Final Fantasy XI is not compatible with anti-aliasing.
you can set anti-aliasing on your video card even if the game does not have it, like i do
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-03 07:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Quote:
you can set anti-aliasing on your video card even if the game does not have it

The game is incompatible with it, you won't see a difference. The game barely uses the GPU anyway, it's mainly running on the CPU.
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-03 07:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'm going to bed. If you're interested in why AA doesn't work it's because XI uses offscreen rendering, meaning it renders the 3D screen on an offscreen surface instead of directly to the buffer. Meaning essentially driver based FSAA won't work. The only way is to get pseudo AA by super sampling (running at 2x BG resolution)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-03 07:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

And finally, if you're into tweaking your GFX card set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x. You will notice a difference there.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-07-03 08:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Quote:
you can set anti-aliasing on your video card even if the game does not have it

The game is incompatible with it, you won't see a difference. The game barely uses the GPU anyway, it's mainly running on the CPU.

check your facts before saying that the game can't have anti-alias
this is with video card anti-alias on, no x16 anis
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2011-07-03 08:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks again Kvazz and Flion it worked great this is what it looks like now.
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-03 08:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not inclined to believe you. With my own personal testing, and the testing of thousands of other players, they've all come to the conclusion that AA doesn't work, it can't work.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-07-03 08:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

looks like ill have to make a video demo then, because you are literally saying that i lie on my screenshots
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-03 08:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well seeing as it looks identical to how it looks with oversampling, yeah.
[+]
 Fenrir.Crystenne
Server: Fenrir
user: Crysten
By Fenrir.Crystenne 2011-07-03 08:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well seeing as it looks identical to how it looks with oversampling, yeah.

Zoomed in like hell you can notice a difference, albeit barely. Some of the edges are slightly less jagged but nothing you'll notice without a huge resolution, I'll bet.
By Wenuden 2011-07-03 10:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Since there's already a topic on graphics, I'll ask this here.

If I want to run a second instance of ffxi on my PC, but at much lower res than my main, what would I have to do? I have my main set up for decent graphics, but don't need them for a pocket white mage. Halp.
By Artemicion 2011-07-03 10:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to oversample, but due to dual boxing, I might need to upgrade my PC at some point. Hopefully a sandy bridge i7 will be able to run two FFXIs at 3740x2160
 Bahamut.Endol
Server: Bahamut
user: Endol
By Bahamut.Endol 2011-07-03 11:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wenuden said:
Since there's already a topic on graphics, I'll ask this here.

If I want to run a second instance of ffxi on my PC, but at much lower res than my main, what would I have to do? I have my main set up for decent graphics, but don't need them for a pocket white mage. Halp.

if u look up at the post from Emanuelle, i believe you can save different profiles. Just name one of the profiles "PocketWHM" or whatever and lower the settings. just remember to change it back to whatever your main uses whenever you luanch that.
 Shiva.Eldarias
user: Eldarias
By Shiva.Eldarias 2011-07-03 11:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone know why FFXI just doesn't run well on a GTX 560 ti? I seem to remember the 400 series users having problems, but is there some driver fix for it now or is the game just too old for these cards? Sorry if off topic, didn't think it deserved it's own thread.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2011-07-03 11:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxicalculator.com/

I like using this. It's very easy to use.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Rasalgethi
user: Hercule
By Carbuncle.Rasalgethi 2011-07-03 11:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

And if you want the best, you should use Draw Distance (With Windower)
And setup it @ distance 20

2 Screenshots both on exact same place.

-without Draw Distance:

-With Draw Distance setup @ 20:
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-07-03 11:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I've heard in the past that the maximum you can set the background resolution to in registry is 2048x2048. Is it really 2560x2048?
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-07-03 11:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
I've heard in the past that the maximum you can set the background resolution to in registry is 2048x2048. Is it really 2560x2048?

Mine's set to this:

X: 3360

Y: 2100

Background res in the registry maximum appears as 2048 on the drop down menu, You can actually just type in your desired values.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-07-03 12:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything above 2048x2048 has never made a discernible difference to me, but maybe I just have bad eyes.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-07-03 12:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:

Mine's set to this:

X: 3360

Y: 2100

Background res in the registry maximum appears as 2048 on the drop down menu, You can actually just type in your desired values.
Alrighty then, time to pump it up to something rediculous!
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-07-03 12:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm tempted to sign in just so I can fool with this.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Rasalgethi
user: Hercule
By Carbuncle.Rasalgethi 2011-07-03 12:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For the background the best is to put 2X your native resolution

Exemple: 1920X1080 = Background 3840X2160