Forum » FFXI » General » How to make ffxi look HD
How to make ffxi look HD
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Siren.Zeroburning
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Zeroburning 2011-07-03 03:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Im looking at some SS's and i see that there ffxi is so Crisp and nice how do yall get it that way?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 03:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Graphics
[+]
 Lakshmi.Greggles
Server: Lakshmi
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-07-03 03:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics
[+]
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2011-07-03 03:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
^

My super high valuable input is this.

Maybe even this.

I'm a graphix exprt
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 03:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

This is a good place to start, and I suggest downloading

This for superior icons, windows and fonts.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-07-03 04:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

curious why is it saying to do changes through the registry? from glancing at the links all the things they talk about are right on the ffxi config menu are they not?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 04:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
curious why is it saying to do changes through the registry? from glancing at the links all the things they talk about are right on the ffxi config menu are they not?

You're limited with the FFXI config menu, this lets you surpass it.
 Shiva.Msthief
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-07-03 04:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So am I able to just straight up change my background resolution to whatever I damn well please, or do I have to follow some set of rules?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 04:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:
So am I able to just straight up change my background resolution to whatever I damn well please, or do I have to follow some set of rules?

You can change it to what you want, but rule of thumb for the best results is same or double.

Double looks nicer but is more taxxing. When you double it you're essentially activating Anti aliasing
 Shiva.Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-07-03 04:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you, I'm pretty sure my system can handle it.
 Shiva.Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-07-03 04:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-07-03 04:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Just put your resolution to the lowest for a few weeks, then change it back... It will look AMAZING.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-07-03 04:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Photoshop your screenshots.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 04:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:
Holy ***.

lol'd
 Lakshmi.Greggles
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-07-03 04:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:
Holy ***.

I said the same thing when I first did it lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-07-03 04:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

can you explain a bit? i mean all the resolutions and settings mentioned on the first link are there(in ffxi config menu) or are you suggesting even higher resolutions then mentioned in the initial link?

[mainly trying to learn here so sorry for the questions]
 Shiva.Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-07-03 04:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I only matched my resolution, I'll go for bigger and better things tomorrow.

While we're at it, I'm curious if anyone here has had problems with the game screen freezing up on them. Like the game screen will just freeze - I won't be able to alt/tab to it and it's listed as "not responding" on task manager. On top of this, I can hear something in my computer making more noise than usual (maybe a fan?). This usually happens when I am flipping through my logs really fast. If it matters, I'm always running at least two instances.

I'm running an i7 x980 and ATI HD 5900, not the absolute best but pretty close as of six months ago.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 04:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

can you explain a bit? i mean all the resolutions and settings mentioned on the first link are there(in ffxi config menu) or are you suggesting even higher resolutions then mentioned in the initial link?

Are you talking about the windower config menu or the XI config menu? The standard XI config menu only allows your background resolution to go to 1024x1024 for example

With either the windower config menu or using the registry you can surpass that.

Same for Mip mapping :)
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 04:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:

While we're at it, I'm curious if anyone here has had problems with the game screen freezing up on them. Like the game screen will just freeze - I won't be able to alt/tab to it and it's listed as "not responding" on task manager. On top of this, I can hear something in my computer making more noise than usual (maybe a fan?). This usually happens when I am flipping through my logs really fast. If it matters, I'm always running at least two instances.

I'm running an i7 x980 and ATI HD 5900, not the absolute best but pretty close as of six months ago.

Sounds like you need a fresh install, XI gets like that after it's been on for a while.

Also... press insert and type "drawdistance set 25.0"

it's awesome, makes the game look brand new :)
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-07-03 04:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:

This has happened on two occasions to me, was sudden abrupt freeze on ffxi, cant say i was doing much just standing in lower jeuno (took a while to notice since inactivity on screen) other time i was in aby doubt its system related in my case i mean its like 2 month old pc and its only occurred while using widower so i think it might be that?

Thanks for the tip think ill spend some time tweaking stuff around tomorrow...wish you could mess with these settings on the fly, hate logging on and off lol

this kind of info should really be stickied somewhere on here...(watch it be the first sticky and im just slow lol)
 Shiva.Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-07-03 05:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just spent the past five minutes considering a fresh install, maybe I'll do that overnight eventually.

I'm afraid to set drawdistance that high, I'll sometimes be running four accounts with a video so I'm not sure if I could safely handle it.

Thanks though, that freezing ***can get old so I know I'll have to do it eventually.
 Odin.Tsuneo
Server: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2011-07-03 05:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The game only freezes for me if I'm using Alt-Tab to switch between my characters. I've never seen it happen from mouse clicking between windows, but I also rarely do that because of the inconvenience.
 Asura.Shylaa
Server: Asura
user: Shylaa
By Asura.Shylaa 2011-07-03 06:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious what type of setting ppl have for 1920x1080? When I was tweaking stuff it wouldnt let me oversample (x2). Curious if anyone else had this problem. Right now running at same specs (resolution and background).
 Fenrir.Emirii
Server: Fenrir
user: Emerii1
By Fenrir.Emirii 2011-07-03 06:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

OOO I never thought to oversample x2 xD my rez is 1900 x 900 @.@
 Shiva.Galbir
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2011-07-03 07:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Flion that looks a lot better.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-07-03 07:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
you don't need to set ffxi at 1900x ??? resolution to make it hd , hd resolution starts any larger than 1280x720, if you wan't your game to look good just follow these settings, (sounds settings numbers are optional) enviromental are optional as well, and does not make/look your graphics worse or good

you need anti-aliasing settings turned on, on your video card

other than this it's just photoshop screenshots tweaked with sharp or blur/bloom .etc
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-07-03 07:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouldn't you make registry background bigger?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 07:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Phoenix.Sehachan said:
you don't need to set ffxi at 1900x ??? resolution to make it hd , hd resolution starts any larger than 1280x720, if you wan't your game to look good just follow these settings, (sounds settings numbers are optional)

you need anti-aliasing settings turned on, on your video card

other than this it's just photoshop screenshots tweaked with sharp or blur/bloom .etc

Implying everyone's optimal resolution is 1280x720.

It's better to be at the optimal resolution rather than just scraping HD resolutions (It's not real HD anyway)
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-07-03 07:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

you can but this is just an example, you will hardly notice the difference with bigger background than that
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-07-03 07:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Also what? Put Environmental animations on 2. I'd suggest putting hardware mouse on too.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6