People who freak out about being checked
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13
 Fairy.Usua
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-03-19 01:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I've been told to never check a person again.
I love it when people start changing gear to keep me from checking.
[+]
 Phoenix.Juggalo
Server: Phoenix
user: Juggalo
By Phoenix.Juggalo 2010-03-19 11:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I'm a fan of /em examines you.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-03-19 11:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Checked a Japanese player once since he was wearing a golden type armor and I wanted to see if it was Aurum or the Lord's set and I get angry tells from him saying "No <Check>! Why <Check>? <I don't understand>" etc and I just laughed at him. JPs are such babies.
[+]
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2010-03-19 12:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I check myself when i'm checked sometimes just to see what they're seeing :D
[+]
By Tirantus 2010-03-19 13:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who feels self-conscious about being examined in a video game has some serious emotional issues. Plain and simple being examined is in no way intrusive. Here's a fun little example.

If you feel self-conscious or intruded upon when examined, turn on the "X examines you" filter. Like magic you won't feel that self-conscious, intruded pang when examined ever again. Now on the other hand, if someone is physically intruding into your house and looking through all your belongings. It doesn't matter how much I ignore this person or pretend they aren't there. I will still be able to physically tell someone has been looking through all my things. It has a physical impact on my life and what I'm doing.

Being examined does NOT in any way inhibit your ability to play the game in anyway (see above chat filter). It's like thinking someone looking up your number in the phone book is intrusive. But hey guess what, you can choose to be unlisted. Similar to :gasp: the chat filter!

To the ppl who do get offended by being examined: News flash, its all in your head! Someone examining you causes you to project your own insecurities onto yourself. Stop acting like emotionally unstable, insecure high school kids, and start acting like rational adults.
[+]
 Fairy.Mayeh
user: Mayeh
By Fairy.Mayeh 2010-03-19 15:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow post from 2004 is 7 pages long. I assume this is an old post since it's been flogged to death so many times already.
 Carbuncle.Rinomaru
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Rinomaru 2010-03-19 15:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

TBH if i was a GM and Some1 said "he checked me like 2 times" and started whining, i'd jail them for wasting my time and to grow the *** up.

Or....

Feed them to Jourmy (GM Dave style)
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-19 16:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Mayeh said:
Wow post from 2004 is 7 pages long. I assume this is an old post since it's been flogged to death so many times already.

lolwut?
 Fairy.Usua
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-03-19 16:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Juggalo said:
Personally, I'm a fan of /em examines you.
lol I had that macro'd for a long time. I get check spammed so hard when I used it too.
[+]
Server: Fenrir
user: Loltron
By Fenrir.Gimmeurselables 2010-04-18 02:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

That *** Ext got me sent to GM jail for spam checking him... *** him and his ties with the JP GMs... :/
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-18 10:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had check messages filtered for so long I forgot all about them. I don't know why they even thought it was necessary to include in the game.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-04-18 11:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes i`ll check people to give me some idea`s of what gear i could get to make my job more fun.
[+]
 Titan.Gannonman
Server: Titan
user: Gannonman
By Titan.Gannonman 2010-04-18 11:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
Sometimes i`ll check people to give me some idea`s of what gear i could get to make my job more fun.

Same here, but then again, I will "freak out" if someone checks me like 8 times within a 3 minute span and I haven't moved. I wouldn't say freaked out, but just a lil annoyed, no, I haven't changed jobs yet, still same gear, I promise, but as for someone just checking me a time or two, who cares.
[+]
 Unicorn.Lefiont
Server: Unicorn
user: Lefiont
By Unicorn.Lefiont 2010-04-18 15:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally love the /em examines you. I will /blush when examined just because it's fun though.

Someone in my Dynamis shell ended up checking me like 5 more times because I /blush'ed though. I assume he thought I was mad about it but w/e, it's just fun.

I had one JP person freak out on me in boyhada tree. I told him I would black list him, which I did because he started yelling at me in tells LOL lil taru was a freak.
 Cerberus.Tzaellia
Server: Cerberus
user: Tzaellia
By Cerberus.Tzaellia 2010-04-18 15:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Checked a Japanese player once since he was wearing a golden type armor and I wanted to see if it was Aurum or the Lord's set and I get angry tells from him saying "No <Check>! Why <Check>? <I don't understand>" etc and I just laughed at him. JPs are such babies.

That's nothing. Come to Cerberus. Look for Dorocy. Check him and let the /tell spam begin.

I first found that out when I was joking around with and LS mate and typed /em examines you. He went off!
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-18 15:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Player examines you.
Akeda examines himself.
Akeda blushes in embarassment.
Akeda begins casting Deodorize on Akeda.
Akeda casts Deodorize.
Akeda gains the effect of Deodorize.
Akeda motions joyfully.

I feel like going to WG and /checking random people now. x'D
By Kanjirou 2010-04-18 16:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what would happen if someone and like 10 of their friends went to WG and all typed /em examines you. at the exact same time. :X
 Unicorn.Lefiont
Server: Unicorn
user: Lefiont
By Unicorn.Lefiont 2010-04-18 16:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Kanjirou said:
I wonder what would happen if someone and like 10 of their friends went to WG and all typed /em examines you. at the exact same time. :X

That... would be awesome! :D
By rainlab 2010-04-18 17:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Tirantus said:
If you feel self-conscious or intruded upon when examined, turn on the "X examines you" filter. Like magic you won't feel that self-conscious, intruded pang when examined ever again. Now on the other hand, if someone is physically intruding into your house and looking through all your belongings. It doesn't matter how much I ignore this person or pretend they aren't there. I will still be able to physically tell someone has been looking through all my things. It has a physical impact on my life and what I'm doing.

Um, no... if someone went through your house but left everything exactly the way it was, you wouldn't know any different. There would be no physical or emotional impact on your life because you would be utterly unaware. That is what you are suggesting by activating the filter; to become oblivious to the fact that someone is checking you.

Tirantus said:
Being examined does NOT in any way inhibit your ability to play the game in anyway (see above chat filter). It's like thinking someone looking up your number in the phone book is intrusive. But hey guess what, you can choose to be unlisted. Similar to :gasp: the chat filter!

While I agree that being examined doesn't inhibit a player's ability to play, your phone book analogy doesn't work at all. Setting a filter is not at all the same as being unlisted from a phone book. Unlisting yourself from a phonebook would be closer to prohibiting others from examining you; something the game should have allowed in the first place.

So, Dracondria, can you explain to me why it was necessary for you to know what gear he had on? It is absolutely unnecessary to check another player without a bazaar, plain and simple. Impulsive actions driven by sheer curiosity... sounds like a baby thing to do.

The truth is, I'm not self-conscious at all, but it does bother me when I get checked for no reason. Why? Because 9 out of 10 times it's by an NA player and it only lends credence to the stereotype that Americans are culturally ignorant, loud, and nosey. And I find that downright embarrassing.

Bottom line: Just because you don't mind something being done to you, does not mean others shouldn't mind it being done to them. Awareness of social sensitivity is a very important part of growing up.
[+]
 Fenrir.Uskies
Server: Fenrir
user: Sircyrus
By Fenrir.Uskies 2010-04-18 17:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally dont mind if people check me, but i dont check others, i just see it as being rude :/ (unless they got bazaar icon up, then just check to see what they are selling)
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-18 17:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

rainlab said:

So, Dracondria, can you explain to me why it was necessary for you to know what gear he had on? It is absolutely unnecessary to check another player without a bazaar, plain and simple. Impulsive actions driven by sheer curiosity... sounds like a baby thing to do.

The truth is, I'm not self-conscious at all, but it does bother me when I get checked for no reason. Why? Because 9 out of 10 times it's by an NA player and it only lends credence to the stereotype that Americans are culturally ignorant, loud, and nosey. And I find that downright embarrassing.

Bottom line: Just because you don't mind something being done to you, does not mean others shouldn't mind it being done to them. Awareness of social sensitivity is a very important part of growing up.

I was looking to buy an Aurum Cuirass and I was curious because it was a weird set to use. Shouldn't matter WHY I check someone. If Japanese are so against being checked then it would've been removed from the game or altered, the people who freak out are a minority. They can filter it, I don't care if it bothers them. It's a part of the game and it has been for the past 8ish years and they need to get over it. It's fine if they don't want to check people but they shouldn't freak out when they get checked. Should filter it instead.
[+]
 Seraph.Sigmund
Premium
Server: Seraph
user: Sigmund
By Seraph.Sigmund 2010-04-18 18:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Novax said:
I check myself when i'm checked sometimes just to see what they're seeing :D

lol, I do that too.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-18 18:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I only examine people after they've examined me, or it feels... Intrusive.
By rainlab 2010-04-18 18:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Why you checked him/her should matter. There are many legit reasons to check someone and yours was clearly not one of them. It was just unnecessary, really.

Also, try to understand that just because a game, by design, grants you the ability to do something, does not mean that it should be abused. There are infinite number of things you could do in this game that should never be done. Unfortunately, many players confuse the ability to perform an action with the right to do so. Perhaps that's a problem often seen in real life as well.

Even in a game, some cultural sensitivity and etiquette would be nice. Because chances are, those without manners in a game, are without manners in real life. And that's a statement I'm quite confident in making.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-04-18 18:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I read a thing by ElmerTP, and there's a questionaire he did with the JP. It says the translation for being examined in Japan says something along the lines of...:"So-n-So stares at you very intently..." & the JP just get creeped out from it, and it feels intrusive. Though, I don't see why they just don't filter off the "Check messages".
By rainlab 2010-04-18 18:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

If Japanese are so against being checked then it would've been removed from the game or altered, the people who freak out are a minority.

Another lesson on cultural sensitivity:
Most Japanese will not let you know when they feel insulted or offended. Even if those that "freaked out" were a minority, you can expect most of the JP players you've randomly examined through your "8-year" Vana'career to have been offended by your behavior to some degree.

They can filter it, I don't care if it bothers them. It's a part of the game and it has been for the past 8ish years and they need to get over it. It's fine if they don't want to check people but they shouldn't freak out when they get checked. Should filter it instead.

I'm not trying to offend you or put you on the spot, but I think your above quote says a lot about your culture and/or upbringing.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-18 18:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it doesn't actually. I just don't think /check is something important enough to be offended by even if the message isn't very polite.
[+]
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-18 18:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

rainlab said:
Why you checked him/her should matter. There are many legit reasons to check someone and yours was clearly not one of them. It was just unnecessary, really.

Legit reason?! How about...I felt like seeing the gear?! Fiddlesticks!
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 19:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sornstarguh said:
Legit reason?! How about...I felt like seeing the gear?! Fiddlesticks!
Nice, thank you for proving my point even further.

Perhaps we can get some valid input from someone with a mental capacity greater than a 4-year old?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-18 19:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

How about you be less of an ***?

You don't need a "legit" reason to check someone and if the person being checked doesn't like the insignificant message that pops up they can filter it. Having to please every single JP player is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE when a lot of them don't even make an effort to communicate with us and instead ignore us.

Only people who get offended by /check are some JPs and sensitive people these days and there are a lot worse things to worry about now than whether or not someone is thinking badly about your gear.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13