A Time For Change In My Life. Need Some Opinions Or Thoughts Please! [Navy]

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 16 17 18
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 18:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
I wouldnt join the military if I were a woman either! "According to NPR, “In 2003, a survey of female veterans found that 30 percent said they were raped in the military. A 2004 study of veterans who were seeking help for post-traumatic stress disorder found that 71 percent of the women said they were sexually assaulted or raped while serving. And a 1995 study of female veterans of the Gulf and earlier wars, found that 90 percent had been sexually harassed.” Kind of hard not to describe desensitized "soldiers" as beasts :s
I'd take that with a huge grain of salt. I can't tell you how many cases there are of women just sleeping with everything or actually being in prostitution rings and then cry rape after. But of course that almost never gets publicized unless it was some guy running it lol. Or how the littlest things get turned into harrassment. It's a part of the reason I chose to be on a submarine. So many guys have just been joking around with there fellow servicemembers and gotten pwned cause of some over senstive woman
I think they meant more along the lines of the movie "The general's daughter" or w/e the title is.
Oh I'm sure that's what they meant. I just mean take it with a grain of salt. Because it isn't all like that. Cause yes there really are plenty of women like this
Phoenix.Darki said:
That's why you should always in business not comment at all or even look at a woman, coz we'll *** you up!

Gogo double standards
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 18:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

... photojournalism ...

so that explains the kickass camera!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 18:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
I wouldnt join the military if I were a woman either!

"According to NPR, “In 2003, a survey of female veterans found that 30 percent said they were raped in the military. A 2004 study of veterans who were seeking help for post-traumatic stress disorder found that 71 percent of the women said they were sexually assaulted or raped while serving. And a 1995 study of female veterans of the Gulf and earlier wars, found that 90 percent had been sexually harassed.”

Kind of hard not to describe desensitized "soldiers" as beasts :s

you might get a clearer perspective on the issue if you were familiar with the caliber of female who joined the army, and personally experienced the interplay between the sexes

the problem is thus: a male and female soldier go to a bar and drink themselves stupid. they stumble back to the barracks and hook up, both so drunk that they have no idea what they're doing

in the morning, it's a decision they both regret. but somehow, even though they were both equally incapacitated and equally irresponsible, somehow, magically, the man raped the woman

the survey does not tell the whole story by any means

and a blanket description of soldiers as beasts isn't fair at all

there are good soldiers and bad soldiers, just like every other demographic in existence

Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 18:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
I wouldnt join the military if I were a woman either! "According to NPR, “In 2003, a survey of female veterans found that 30 percent said they were raped in the military. A 2004 study of veterans who were seeking help for post-traumatic stress disorder found that 71 percent of the women said they were sexually assaulted or raped while serving. And a 1995 study of female veterans of the Gulf and earlier wars, found that 90 percent had been sexually harassed.” Kind of hard not to describe desensitized "soldiers" as beasts :s
I'd take that with a huge grain of salt. I can't tell you how many cases there are of women just sleeping with everything or actually being in prostitution rings and then cry rape after. But of course that almost never gets publicized unless it was some guy running it lol. Or how the littlest things get turned into harrassment. It's a part of the reason I chose to be on a submarine. So many guys have just been joking around with there fellow servicemembers and gotten pwned cause of some over senstive woman
I think they meant more along the lines of the movie "The general's daughter" or w/e the title is.
Oh I'm sure that's what they meant. I just mean take it with a grain of salt. Because it isn't all like that. Cause yes there really are plenty of women like this
Phoenix.Darki said:
That's why you should always in business not comment at all or even look at a woman, coz we'll *** you up!

it;s still ***that happens, and being surrounded mostly by guys, and knowing meee, 5'1 100pounds.
yeah, I'll pretty much be defenseless lol
I'm not war material or anything like that. :/
 Phoenix.Airbag
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 18:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

lol'd sad but true :|

human nature is a ***, about time we just threw in the towel as a race
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-20 18:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sevourn either I'm highly ignorant and don't remember....

...or have you always been this awesome? lol.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 18:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
it;s still ***that happens, and being surrounded mostly by guys, and knowing meee, 5'1 100pounds. yeah, I'll pretty much be defenseless lol I'm not war material or anything like that. :/
Everything happens. I've known guys that have been raped in the military by there female comrades...

But that doesn't make for a big of a story and men can't just say it happened and have everyone believe them like women can
 Siren.Temeraire
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-20 18:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

*Not gonna continue a quote train, but I am replying to Darki.*

You have to realize that the military absolutely has to be a weapon of the government. There is a fine line between defense and agression, and if you want to say that our country stepped over that line in Iraq, I would agree with you on several levels. But there are times when the US needed to stand up and be agressive...but didn't.

How many lives would have been saved from 1931 to 1945 had the Democratic powers been more vigilant and agressive before September 1939?

I am not saying that going out and killing people is a good thing. A given political entity has to be willing to use deadly force, though, or else those political entities who are willing to use deadly force will destroy it.

Hence why we say "serving your country". I don't think many people would want our military to kill anyone, if it were avoidable. I know I don't.

The only way to put an end to warfare is to put an end to violence. Unfortunately, mankind is not prepared to take that step any time soon.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 18:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

I can't tell you how many cases there are of women just sleeping with everything or actually being in prostitution rings and then cry rape after. But of course that almost never gets publicized unless it was some guy running it lol.

Or how the littlest things get turned into harrassment. It's a part of the reason I chose to be on a submarine. So many guys have just been joking around with there fellow servicemembers and gotten pwned cause of some over senstive woman

and unsurprisingly i agree 100%, as, i think, would most people who have seen it firsthand

i don't want to come across as one of those *** who accuses all women of crying rape for the hell of it, that's not what i think at all

however, i'm sorry to say that the social strata that most female soldiers come from is the social strata most likely to cry rape for personal gain

Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 18:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

it may not be fair, but thats what we are! beasts.. as long as we still (as a race) have to resort to violence to manage conflicts- no matter how naieve that may sound, we are no better than beasts!!!!!!!!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 18:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:

O.o

{i don't know how to answer that question}

but thank you lol^^
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-20 18:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:

Yah, it is quite hard to quantify that holistically. The only instance I saw myself was once back in training, the male instructor apparently asked out one of the trainees on a date, and she filed it with the CO as sexual harrassment. That was a huge thing, and his fellow instructors of course were absolutely indignant of her over-reacting like that and potentially destroying his career.

I myself never saw that, but as Dasva says, I did see *many* women who really let loose and live a wild lifestyle in the military (cheating on husbands/bf's/whatever) that might easily decide to redefine (in their own minds) some consentual event as something else.

On the other hand, all of my fellow female soldiers all had some story about people making passes at them or being grabby or trying to get them into uncomfortable "compromising positions". It was almost universal, too, from girls I met from other branches of service.

I didn't see much of that personally, again, but I served active duty for only 2 years before serving the rest at a reserve medical hospital, where things were a little more laid back and quasi-civilian. Certainly all of the "Tail Hook" scandals you read about in the 90's lead the military to be extremely sensitive to the issue (leading to statistics like those) even if the OIC's might later just cover up their findings or not act on them because the events in question happened years before.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 18:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

Everything happens. I've known guys that have been raped in the military by there female comrades...

But that doesn't make for a big of a story and men can't just say it happened and have everyone believe them like women can

I don't think their pride really lets them come up and say they got raped in the first place...

I think the scores are so high on the abuse towards women in the military because perhaphs yes they fake it, it still doesn't mean it's ***that doesn't happen. That's the reality of it, both sides can be as horrible.
Siren.Temeraire said:
*Not gonna continue a quote train, but I am replying to Darki.*

You have to realize that the military absolutely has to be a weapon of the government. There is a fine line between defense and agression, and if you want to say that our country stepped over that line in Iraq, I would agree with you on several levels. But there are times when the US needed to stand up and be agressive...but didn't.

How many lives would have been saved from 1931 to 1945 had the Democratic powers been more vigilant and agressive before September 1939?

I am not saying that going out and killing people is a good thing. A given political entity has to be willing to use deadly force, though, or else those political entities who are willing to use deadly force will destroy it.

Hence why we say "serving your country". I don't think many people would want our military to kill anyone, if it were avoidable. I know I don't.

The only way to put an end to warfare is to put an end to violence. Unfortunately, mankind is not prepared to take that step any time soon.

Yes I agree, and it's funny how US came in control of PR, they blew up one of their ships around our coast and blamed it on Spain, started some silly war and won us over lol.

Spain was too busy blowing up our gold and land to really blow up that ship lol Back then we had a lot to offer in terms of gold.

sharing this little piece of knowledge because it sounds like the times US has been aggressive for no reason to gain control...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 18:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
you might get a clearer perspective on the issue if you were familiar with the caliber of female who joined the army, and personally experienced the interplay between the sexes

the problem is thus: a male and female soldier go to a bar and drink themselves stupid. they stumble back to the barracks and hook up, both so drunk that they have no idea what they're doing in the morning, it's a decision they both regret.

but somehow, even though they were both equally incapacitated and equally irresponsible, somehow, magically, the man raped the woman

the survey does not tell the whole story by any means and a blanket description of soldiers as beasts isn't fair at all there are good soldiers and bad soldiers, just like every other demographic in existence
I'd say this is a bit of a problem in our society in general. The whole double standard stuff. A girl woman is inherently unable to decide for herself (unless it's to her benefit) so if she is young or has a beer clearly can't be held responsible for sex. Though better believe if she did anything else drunk she would get fired. But a guy clearly always wants to hook up so if he has a beer he is rapist who wont listen to a woman saying no.

It's just in the military there is a bit more of that old fashioned thinking and then the whole we would rather *** our servicemembers than have some possibly bad PR. Which of course leads to alot of bad things in the military. Way way way too much focus on PR. I mean yeah they kinda have to to keep getting people but they are sending people out early in the process
 Siren.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-20 18:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:

O.o

but thank you lol^^
Your maturity is very close to Jaerik's lol.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 18:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
you might get a clearer perspective on the issue if you were familiar with the caliber of female who joined the army, and personally experienced the interplay between the sexes the problem is thus: a male and female soldier go to a bar and drink themselves stupid. they stumble back to the barracks and hook up, both so drunk that they have no idea what they're doing in the morning, it's a decision they both regret. but somehow, even though they were both equally incapacitated and equally irresponsible, somehow, magically, the man raped the woman the survey does not tell the whole story by any means and a blanket description of soldiers as beasts isn't fair at all there are good soldiers and bad soldiers, just like every other demographic in existence
I'd say this is a bit of a problem in our society in general. The whole double standard stuff. A girl woman is inherently unable to decide for herself (unless it's to her benefit) so if she is young or has a beer clearly can't be held responsible for sex. Though better believe if she did anything else drunk she would get fired. But a guy clearly always wants to hook up so if he has a beer he is rapist who wont listen to a woman saying no. It's just in the military there is a bit more of that old fashioned thinking and then the whole we would rather *** our servicemembers than have some possibly bad PR. Which of course leads to alot of bad things in the military. Way way way too much focus on PR. I mean yeah they kinda have to to keep getting people but they are sending people out early in the process

There are a lot of problems in our society lol :|

/no faith in humanity

I guess I should feel compelled to try to change things I feel arent just, but then whats the point! to grow old and die and feel validated by someone remembering you
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 18:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Everything happens. I've known guys that have been raped in the military by there female comrades... But that doesn't make for a big of a story and men can't just say it happened and have everyone believe them like women can
I don't think their pride really lets them come up and say they got raped in the first place...

I think the scores are so high on the abuse towards women in the military because perhaphs yes they fake it, it still doesn't mean it's ***that doesn't happen. That's the reality of it, both sides can be as horrible.
Again I didn't say it doesn't happen. It's just not as horrible as that study makes it sound. But guess what it and other things happen everywhere. And yes I've seen alot of chicks particularrly in the military that were asking for it and regretted later. I've hear what really goes on from the actually people.

First thing you should learn in the military. As far as the higher ups and outside people are concerned if it's on paper that's how it happened. Even if they know it isn't. And usually it isn't. I can't tell you how many documents I faked and even made fake proof that it happened and such lol just because they wanted to see happy paperwork on stuff so they can tell people yeah here is proof everything is running right/wrong

I know a guy that got raped by 3 women and it pretty much destroyed his penis. I don't think anything happened to them
 Siren.Temeraire
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-20 18:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The USS Maine was almost certainly lost due to accidental internal explosion. There was a known coal bunker fire resulting from spontaneous combustion of coal dust(very common in those days...even the Titanic had one and she was on her maiden voyage when she sank), which likely caused a degradation of powder in the nearby magazine. Black powder becomes unstable quickly when it is heated, which basically meant that the Maine was a ticking time bomb.

The Spanish American War is certainly an example of US agression, but the press is as guilty as Congress was in this case. The US public was clamoring for war even more so than with Iraq and Afghanistan.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 19:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
oh well they got themselves behind the bullet
don't get me wrong i don't blame the guy if i were in his position i'd do the same if a foreign force attempted to invade and then occupy my country it's just that my empathy does not extend to letting him shoot me
CREEEPYYYYYY even if its what you had to do doesnt it kinda change you a little inside idk im too emotional i would feel guilty at the end of the day even if it's for survival and what not :/
if you know you'd do the same thing in his position why are you even over there!
because we were doing something historically unprecedented, invading a sovereign nation, under full declaration of war, who had not done anything to provoke it, and i needed to be there to document it i joined the Army as a photojournalist when it was clear that the United States was about to invade Iraq on the basis of questionable intelligence the hyper-nationalistic atmosphere at the time fascinated me it made our people crazy, willing to believe anything, as it has repeatedly throughout history "We're number one!" was the extent of the average American's understanding of foreign policy it's how we're raised to think i wanted to bear witness to the coming Iraq war in what I felt was the most honorable and least presumptuous way possible (not to mention the only way i could afford) that and my moral distaste for military service clashes deeply with my affinity for military aircraft and raging battle

thats whats up! and what did you learn from your time over there?

oh man

that would take like a doctoral thesis sheath of paper for me to windbag it up on

way way way way way condensed

we do not have anything to offer them

we see the way they live, and it's not the way we live, so we want to change it

but it doesn't work. it would be like going into india and telling them the caste system is invalid and they have to change it overnight

if you tried to integrate schools in the 1940s, with enough guns, you can go through of the motions of the dance, but it's all show, there's nothing behind it, the second you turn your back everything snaps back to the way it was because

beliefs influence behavior, and unless you can change those impossibly deep rooted beliefs(protip: you can't, try talking to your granndad about women's lib)

you'll never change behavior long term, only enforce grudging compliance while standing there with bayonet fixed

deep rooted, true political change happens over generations, not years, and setting out to do otherwise is tilting at windmills
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
First thing you should learn in the military. As far as the higher ups and outside people are concerned if it's on paper that's how it happened. Even if they know it isn't. And usually it isn't. I can't tell you how many documents I faked and even made fake proof that it happened and such lol just because they wanted to see happy paperwork on stuff so they can tell people yeah here is proof everything is running right/wrong

and thats why the military is a corrupt organ of an overreaching nation
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 19:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Temeraire said:
The USS Maine was almost certainly lost due to accidental internal explosion. There was a known coal bunker fire resulting from spontaneous combustion of coal dust(very common in those days...even the Titanic had one and she was on her maiden voyage when she sank), which likely caused a degradation of powder in the nearby magazine. Black powder becomes unstable quickly when it is heated, which basically meant that the Maine was a ticking time bomb.

The Spanish American War is certainly an example of US agression, but the press is as guilty as Congress was in this case. The US public was clamoring for war even more so than with Iraq and Afghanistan.

You sir, have history very clear.

and yes, this is how it happened, it is recorded as an accident and they still started a war amongst it.

it's still an example of this kind of aggression.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

do you think its our place to be the ones trying to change their CULTURE sev?

edit: because thats what it looks like youre saying, the US spends billions of dollars trying to preserve the CULTURE of native americans and what not, but we wont respect the islamic/vietnam/south pacific cultures and not *** with them cause we dont agree?
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 19:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:

O.o

but thank you lol^^
Your maturity is very close to Jaerik's lol.

oh no it certainly is not!

intelligence? i'd like to think so

maturity? gross. he can have that ***
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 19:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

something something
show us the pictures you took over there!
interesting ones plz nothing bloody.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 19:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:

hey america couldnt change ours, what makes you think it will change theirs?

perhaphs the lifestyle will be influenced, like it was here.
but culture will never die as long as people practice it no matter what.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

i edited my last post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

edit: because thats what it looks like youre saying, the US spends billions of dollars trying to preserve the CULTURE of native americans and what not, but we wont respect the islamic/vietnam/south pacific cultures and not *** with them cause we dont agree?
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 19:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

im going afk, I better come back to some interesting pictures.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 19:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:

no. of course not. i'm not fond of their culture, but forcefully wiping it away, the way we tried to do with native americans in the 1800s with our "academies", almost seems tantamount to genocide in a sense

that, and short of turning the middle east into a parking lot, i don't think it's possible for us to do

cultures change over long periods of time, from within

i'm not sure i can think of any historical situation where a culture was improved by forceful invasion and "retraining" from another culture with military might

you'd think we would have given up trying by now

Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr imperialism is *** up, but we need teh resources and we feel the need to bring everyone up to our standards and we will do whatever we want!

usa/spain/UK/portugal/egypt/china/... *** yeah!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 19:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

something something
show us the pictures you took over there!
interesting ones plz nothing bloody.

some of them are on my myspace
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 16 17 18