Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » HorizonXI » Eventide Server
Eventide Server
By Zehira 2024-10-16 14:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Do you need 15 bucks?

That goes to developer's retirement and nothing else. They don't care about bots and RMT because they wouldn't survive without them.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-16 15:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Zehira said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Do you need 15 bucks?

That goes to developer's retirement and nothing else. They don't care about bots and RMT because they wouldn't survive without them.

[+]
By K123 2024-10-16 15:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

How much would it cost to run a server expected to have max 4000 players on at the same time? Are we talking $100s a month or $1,000s?
By Zehira 2024-10-16 16:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Don't assume Retail!

K123 said: »
How much would it cost to run a server expected to have max 4000 players on at the same time? Are we talking $100s a month or $1,000s?

About $1,000 a month probably. None of us here own any PS. Why don't you ask them on discord?
By K123 2024-10-16 16:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Not small change then, will it be another "noone is allowed to sell gil except mods" server to fund it?
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-10-16 17:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

isn't that how they all work anyway? If not, the person running it is a dumb dumb
[+]
By Zehira 2024-10-16 18:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think his issue is how long Horizon will keep running. I think it probably should be able to run longer than retail. I have never heard of any ps shutdown other than WingsXi got merged with Catseye. If so, what reasons?

The FFXI team said back in 2019 they want to retire when FFXI turns 30. And after that, what will happen? Hmm... Retail has up to 8 years left.
By Pantafernando 2024-10-16 18:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I have mixed feelings about “only” having 8 years of FFXI.

I mean, who here even expect to be playing FFXI for more 8 years.

Aside me?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-16 18:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I mean, who here even expect to be playing FFXI for more 8 years.

PS folks are looking forward to playing XI for 8 more years; they should have ToaU figured out by then, so they'll get to experience whatever abomination the person running their favorite mod of FFXI will spin on that content
By Fayona 2024-10-16 18:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like this is getting a bit side ways, would anyone care to share a fond memory from their retail 75 era days? I have fond memories of my Friends from Ifrit (Tsumaru, Eivaan, Mcryll, and Cuteguu). We were inseparable, till abbysea came out. I remember Mcryll camped Joyeuse TOD for me, and we all woke up at 3:30 AM to get it and it dropped, we were PLD/NIN x2 RDM and Samurai and it a close call lol. I still have it on my retail character and put it on occasionally just for fun.
By Pantafernando 2024-10-16 19:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I have lots of fond memories of my time with Abyssea (when I started) and SoA early age.

After SoA early age, I kinda got to my "adulthood" in FFXI, and we start seeing things differently mostly because we also change.

That is to say, that time I had in Abyssea and SoA early age will never come back despite how much close a PS would emulate those environments, simply because I myself will never be the same as I was back then (a child/teenager in terms of FFXI).

That said, I would still play in a Private Server that could replicate Abyssea and SoA early age. Because despite knowing I will never feel the same as before, i think things were more meaningful back then.
By Fayona 2024-10-16 19:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I came back to retail around 2017 after beating the FFXIV Expansion because I saw MR. Happy talking about coming back to play ROV. I ended up Play ROV SOA and much more all through law school, articling, and my first few years of practice. I loved the Speed of it and ROV and is far away my favourite FFXI Story and one of the best FF stories ever.
By Seun 2024-10-16 19:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I have mixed feelings about “only” having 8 years of FFXI.

Ironically, all of the assets in retail were developed in it's first 8 years.
[+]
By Zehira 2024-10-16 23:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fayona said: »
I came back to retail around 2017 after beating the FFXIV Expansion because I saw MR. Happy talking about coming back to play ROV. I ended up Play ROV SOA and much more all through law school, articling, and my first few years of practice. I loved the Speed of it and ROV and is far away my favourite FFXI Story and one of the best FF stories ever.

I came back to retail around 2017 after beating the FFXIV Expansion because I got bored with FFXIV. FFXI has a lot of crap I have been missing out thanks to FFXIV. I completed a bunch of storylines, and I was trying to figure out a good way to make a lot of gil without any business with RMT. I decided to create a second account because of the economy. I had to build 8 mules to make sure I mastered every craft class. Studied all the Gobbiebag items and decided to use any illegal tools for farming. Then, I created a third character for the bazaar.

After a year, I successfully sold a bunch of Gobbiebag items to players in front of the NPC. It was so much fun to mess with the game until some players started complaining about how we cheat. I told them many times that it would be better if they got out of Asura, but they never listened. They hated dead servers. Our server was where we had fun messing with the economy.

Maybe, those are not the good fond memories I would like to share, but after years I have completed almost every storyline. Done. I tried Dynamis-D, Omen, Vagury, and other endgame stuff with a linkshell. I felt like it wasn't made for me.

So, I moved to HorizonXI. I realized how things were supposed to be made for FFXI's sandbox experiences. So much relaxing, going to a party and chatting, and a clean/healthy environment. It helped me to not be a menace and play like any normal player would do. I still have a lot of stuff to do. I play HorizonXI occasionally.
[+]
By Homsar 2024-10-17 01:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I don't know what the BS or stigma associated with promoting

You have to understand that these retail folks have very little to do while waiting for their Sortie timer to reset. The lack of meaningful content at this point in retail's life has driven them mad, causing them to angrily lash out and fly into a rage at the mere mention of a private server. The sadness becomes quite profound when you realize these are people in their 30s and 40s frothing at the mouth about "private server advertisements being shoved in their face"(read: single threads or internet comments about private servers). Ironically, these threads they complain about would get little to no traction if they would just ignore them, but they can't resist because private server discussion is literally the freshest FFXI-related discussion they can have.
By Fayona 2024-10-17 03:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Zehira said: »

I came back to retail around 2017 after beating the FFXIV Expansion because I got bored with FFXIV. FFXI has a lot of crap I have been missing out thanks to FFXIV. I completed a bunch of storylines, and I was trying to figure out a good way to make a lot of gil without any business with RMT. I decided to create a second account because of the economy. I had to build 8 mules to make sure I mastered every craft class. Studied all the Gobbiebag items and decided to use any illegal tools for farming. Then, I created a third character for the bazaar.

After a year, I successfully sold a bunch of Gobbiebag items to players in front of the NPC. It was so much fun to mess with the game until some players started complaining about how we cheat. I told them many times that it would be better if they got out of Asura, but they never listened. They hated dead servers. Our server was where we had fun messing with the economy.

Maybe, those are not the good fond memories I would like to share, but after years I have completed almost every storyline. Done. I tried Dynamis-D, Omen, Vagury, and other endgame stuff with a linkshell. I felt like it wasn't made for me.

So, I moved to HorizonXI. I realized how things were supposed to be made for FFXI's sandbox experiences. So much relaxing, going to a party and chatting, and a clean/healthy environment. It helped me to not be a menace and play like any normal player would do. I still have a lot of stuff to do. I play HorizonXI occasionally.

This sounds like the ppl who would sit in front of Oboro ?
By Kaffy 2024-10-17 05:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta take the bad with the good on Asura, and there's plenty of both. You owe it to yourself to check out a different server if you have only experienced FFXI on Asura in the last 3-4 years.

Homsar, nothing unreasonable about that analysis at all, yep. You only show up to taunt people here in PS threads, so you either still lurk or are like a fly attracted to a pile of ***. The ***is not this forum btw, its the private servers whose evangelists come here every time a new server is made. If all these private servers were so amazing and healthy, why are they always dying and merging and getting replaced? Oh yeah, no new meaningful content there either.

I'd personally like to see more shared appreciation for the game between the two communities, but its honestly two entirely different games so finding common ground isn't always easy. That's why I feel its simply better not to promote private servers on a website dedicated to retail, just too hard to please both groups. I don't like private servers but I don't dislike the people who play on them, btw.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-17 06:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaffy said: »
Asura in the last 3-4 years.

Did you mean last 3 decades?
By Kaffy 2024-10-17 06:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah Asura was once no different than any other server. I have good memories there, but its definitely a unique FFXI experience that can leave a bad impression for lots of people.
By K123 2024-10-17 07:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
isn't that how they all work anyway? If not, the person running it is a dumb dumb
Pretty sure it is but they have to make the costs back somehow. It would just be good if one was ever transparent about how they're funding the server.
[+]
By Fayona 2024-10-17 08:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd personally like to see more shared appreciation for the game between the two communities, but its honestly two entirely different games so finding common ground isn't always easy.

Honestly this is exactly what I hope for. And I didn't mean to come across like a evangelist although i did find the Book of Mormon reference quite funny. I just was excited to share my experience because the world just felt new and exciting again and like it was full of possibilities. And that's a feeling I've lost in modern retail since we are soo powerful and the economy has been established for decades.
By Fayona 2024-10-17 08:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Those who know me, know I have a tendency to get over excited for things lol. I'm an ADHD Golden Retriever boi XD
By Homsar 2024-10-17 14:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You only show up to taunt people here in PS threads, so you either still lurk or are like a fly attracted to a pile of ***. The ***is not this forum btw

I occasionally participate in other threads. In post sparsely because I don't play retail any more and there's not much discussion to be had about retail at this point anyway.

the private servers whose evangelists come here every time a new server is made

Homsar said: »
frothing at the mouth about "private server advertisements being shoved in their face"(read: single threads or internet comments about private servers)

It's like you're desperate to prove me right. OP made a single topic on the private server subsection of the forum where all they basically said was "Hey, this server just launched and has been fun, check it out if you're interested!" and the retail whiners still couldn't resist flocking in and flinging ***everywhere. It's secondhand embarrassing to watch grown adults get so petulant about different variations of FFXI.

just too hard to please both groups.

You might have a point here if the private server folks posting here were actually being contentious, but that's not the case. The prevailing theme in these topics is the retail players baselessly bemoaning how private servers hurt retail and crying about how single threads about private servers are the most egregious form of having something pushed on them. While anecdotal, my experience with Horizon players discussing retail shows me that Horizon players typically don't have actual disdain for retail, they just prefer the 75-era adjacent experience that Horizon has to offer. Most Horizon players haven't played retail in many years. I have a pretty big social LS and it's fairly rare to find anyone who has played retail in the past couple of years.
By Fayona 2024-10-17 15:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Look if you're looking for real cuck ***, I still pay my retail sub, despite the fact that I haven't logged in since December, because I feel a sort of reverence for it and I feel like i should if im playing ps's. So I mean if you wanna make fun of someone, make fun of me.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-10-17 15:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Look if you're looking for real cuck ***, I still pay my retail sub

Class - this is the face of someone who is angry. Take notes it will be on the test.
[+]
By K123 2024-10-17 16:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Golden Retriever boi XD
Your posts scream furry and puppy play to me, which worries me that the server might be full of such people and if I were to play there I might end up wearing a collar and trying to justify beastiality.
By Homsar 2024-10-17 17:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I might end up wearing a collar and trying to justify beastiality.

If proximity to internet strangers in a video game can get you to do that, it was secretly inside of you all along.

The real bestiality was the friends we made along the way.
[+]
By Fayona 2024-10-17 17:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Golden Retriever boi XD
Your posts scream furry and puppy play to me, which worries me that the server might be full of such people and if I were to play there I might end up wearing a collar and trying to justify beastiality.

Who Could Say?