Forum » FFXI » HorizonXI » Eventide Server
Eventide Server
 Bahamut.Academic
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Sevu
By Bahamut.Academic 2024-10-15 06:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Posting in a HorizonXI category and surprised some posters bring up Horizon? Maybe you should post on the dedicated subreddits.
By Fayona 2024-10-15 07:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted here because most FFXI players use this site all I asked was that you not speak poorly of other servers. I’m appreciative of Horizon and all they’ve done.
 Bahamut.Academic
Server: Bahamut
user: Sevu
By Bahamut.Academic 2024-10-15 07:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't speak ill of any server, I asked a question, two actually.

Point remains, this is a retail ffxi forum (why we even have PS categories is beyond me though).
[+]
By Fayona 2024-10-15 07:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Because one is not in opposition to the other. Retail is a different game from 75 era servers. If SE made a classic SE server I'd be a day 1, because its a game that doesn't exist atm except for on private servers and dedicated fans trying to relive their past experiences.

Again I want to stress how much I also enjoyed modern retail, I played up to my Rank 5 Scythe. And found my self wanting a new experience and this has really scratched that itch for me. I don't view one as better than the other, they are just different games now and that's okay its like the difference between COD and Medal of Honour. Same same but different.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-15 08:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to knock it because it's already been beaten to death. I agree that retail and PS are different experiences.

I wonder what all this is about though:

Fayona said: »
And found my self wanting a new experience and this has really scratched that itch for me.

Oblivious to the challenges that lay before you, you blindly charge ahead.

"The 75 era" has been done to death. There is absolutely nothing new or exciting to explore in a private server. Are people shocked to see the return of shadow lord or something? Wow, the first time I got exp chain #6 it was incredible! Exploring the wide world of Xarcabard and being killed by a passing Shadow Dragon or whatever.

It's all been done before, a million times. People are fighting Mother Globe for the 6,000th time talking about how they're enjoying having a fresh experience. "wow, guys, we're making a SKILLCHAIN and hitting the enemy with a MAGIC BURST! Isn't this so fresh?!"

This is less odd from you (someone who has supposedly played a lot of modern retail) but I find it really strange from people who played ffxi in "the 75 era" but haven't played modern FFXI.

There is nothing exciting, fresh, or new about any of these servers. You're playing a buggy, watered-down version of a game you've already played 1,000 times before and already know all the strategies for, and acting like it's some fresh new thing?
[+]
By Fayona 2024-10-15 08:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I missed out on most endgame in 75 era. I've played more of modern than I have of 75 era at this point. So it is kind of all new and exciting to me. Its just different, its more scrappy. Its not optimized to death like my sortie runs were. Our group got to a point where ppl didn't want to talk anymore because it ate seconds of time. It felt like a full time job. So this is new and fresh for me, I'm enjoying seeing what the game was like when I was 13 and young and naive again lol.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-15 09:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

when I was 13 and young and naive again lol.

Bingo.
By Moonlightagb 2024-10-15 12:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure where to post this so sorry in advance, but mods/admins is it possible to not have threads in the private server forums show up on the latest forum topics on the main page? I feel like I'm just getting promoed these servers every time I see threads appear, with the OP bumping nonstop/stirring the pot in most of the instances
[+]
By Zehira 2024-10-15 14:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Academic said: »
(why we even have PS categories is beyond me though)

I doubt people take any retail player seriously. SE has done absolutely nothing against any private server, leaving retail players salty.
By Kaffy 2024-10-15 15:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

While some may distinguish the forums here from the AH data, that is what makes FFXIAH unique from any other fan site. Since private servers do not use this feature, neither should they need to use the forums to recruit or advertise.
[+]
By Fayona 2024-10-15 17:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean feels like were getting a little off topic, but I'll say two things: (1) as someone who has been frequenting this forum for 20 years, it feels odd to think that I can't participate in discussion regarding the game, or its various formats here; and (2) Quite honestly if you for whatever reason you do not want to canvass discussion about this or any other private server you are not obligated to participate in this particular post or anything else that does not make you happy.

I'd like to add that the tone I'm trying to convey here is not negative or intended to be so, so I hope you'll take it with the spirit that its intended with. If private servers aren't your bag, then the easiest thing would be to ignore it. I'm not going to consistently bump this post beyond what been said previously unless its to provide monthly updates of new content that we've cleared.

That being said I'm here because I want to help this new little community on Eventide grow, and I'd love it if people from FFXIAH tried it out and had fun. The community is developing into something really special where people are actively helping each other and we are developing our own vernacular that feels exclusive to this server. Look I'm well aware of how these posts can sometimes go and that's not my intention, I'm not trying to yuk anybody's yum. Not to sound too dramatic, but I still hold a real place of reverence towards Retail FFXI, and my Runefencer in particular.

I think there is more than enough space on this forum to discuss all of FFXI here, and quite honestly that's what makes this place so great, there's decades of debate and research about how FFXI works from some of the greatest players to ever do it here. In any event if you've read this far, I hope that you'll check it out and if you do please shoot me a tell in game (@Tothram) I'd welcome the opportunity help you or do content with you. If not thats totally fine to, I'm hopeful that if this discussion continues we can all reminisce about aspects of FFXI that you may not have necessarily been to in recent years.

Unless people want to engage or have questions about the server, I'm going to park it here until I can provide another fun little nostalgic update. {Take Care} & {Have Fun}
By Kaffy 2024-10-15 17:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Talk FFXI all you want, the more the merrier. Just leave the advertisements out.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-10-15 17:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh these threads are always... divisive.

On the one hand it's still 11, they just want people to know it exists. ok. Not inherently bad. It's informative, not combative.. until you guys inevitably turn it that way.

On the other, it's completely different. Totally different ecosystem. It should be in it's own place.

On the third hand, you knew what it was when you clicked it. Stop pissing yourself off and show some self control. If you actually don't care about it, you don't need to tell people you don't care about it.

The mainpage isn't overrun with them, and they aren't knocking any other threads off the main page we barely get the full 9 updated daily as it is.

I was super against it, but look, all your going to do is argue about it anyway, it doesn't matter what the topic is.
By Kaffy 2024-10-15 17:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Not pissed off, and I applaud OP for being the most reasonable spokesperson for a server that I can ever recall. Just giving my .02 that it doesn't belong here.