Bahamut.Senaki
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-10-13 14:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Bahamut.Senaki said: »
Is modeling just = to ‘machine learning’ algorithms (such as regression analysis?).

Because if so, this seems like a pretty easy jump from Dat analysis -> science.
The only skill difference I can see would be math and coding.

The methods you should use depends on the problem. "ML" is probably overused as a buzzword, although it will help in interviews, and my guess is that GLM is still the true workhorse driving industrial data science.

It is true that every data scientist needs to be able to do data analysis, but not every data analyst can make models. If you are going to get certified by a university as a data scientist or analyst, you should get certified as a scientist because that is probably the easiest way to verify your capability. If you have a degree that says Data Analyst, you have to convince someone to take a risk on you when hiring for a data scientist and that is going to depend on the labor market conditions.

Interesting. Thx for info!

My degree is in data science. But some of the courses seem to be ‘related’ to data analysis. Ex: A big data class I’m taking rn have Business Analysis majors in it too, but my pure data sci classes are only data sci people.
[+]
By Afania 2024-10-13 14:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The bar there is not actually "as an expert, do I *** that I do a much better job than AI" but instead is "in the opinion of my boss's boss's boss, do I think two guys using AI would do a comparable enough job to this department that I should fire the department and cut costs?"

That many steps up the chain, they won't even recognize the actual tradeoffs. It'll all be hubris, unearned confidence, and "looks the same to me"-level assessments with a healthy dose of hype train. They may also end up trying to hire you back in a month when the product lights on fire.

That said, I have seen no evidence this is actually happening anywhere that wasn't already on fire and trying to cut costs.

Right now AI can probably replace interns, you know, those "I am a student who is willing to work for free for experience" kind of people. Yeah, I would rather use AI for that.

It can't even fully replace junior level employee atm.

And even if AI replaces all the junior position jobs one day, imo it is a good thing anyways. Way too many junior level jobs are just repetitive easy brainless tasks because someone has to do it. And it is more efficient to delegate easy jobs to the cheapest employee.

This kind of easy job is wasting smart young people's time and talent imo. They are forced to do easy tasks because they are young and cheap, not because they have no talent.

I wish AI can eradicate all easy low level jobs and let everyone start as mid-level regardless of age. So smart young people get to use their talent on higher level tasks. Imo that's a better use of people's talent anyways.
By K123 2024-10-13 14:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not vouching for synethetic users. Today I wouldn't advise using them, but as I've said.. people said AI [insert anything] was ***x years/months ago. The worst mentality to be in is "it'll never happen". Ignorance like this has caught millions of people out.
By K123 2024-10-13 14:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Also FYI, I've corresponded with Don Norman (of Nielson Norman) over the years, and he added me on LinkedIn (this would be like, idk, Bill Gates adding you if you're in programming).

He's ok, but he's known for pushing his preferences as objective and everyone should follow it.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2024-10-13 15:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Right now AI can probably replace interns, you know, those "I am a student who is willing to work for free for experience" kind of people. Yeah, I would rather use AI for that.

And even if AI replaces all the junior position jobs one day, imo it is a good thing anyways. Way too many junior level jobs are just repetitive easy brainless tasks because someone has to do it. And it is more efficient to delegate easy jobs to the cheapest employee.

This kind of easy job is wasting smart young people's time and talent imo. They are forced to do easy tasks because they are young and cheap, not because they have no talent.

I wish AI can eradicate all easy low level jobs and let everyone start as mid-level regardless of age. So smart young people get to use their talent on higher level tasks. Imo that's a better use of people's talent anyways.

I see people claiming this, and I agree that LLMs can do intern-tier work, but interns aren't actually that useful and coming up with projects for them is a PITA. At the end of a successful intern project, you have someone who has learned something and you can maybe develop further into a useful employee. At the end of an LLM intern project, you have an LLM and still need to figure out how to idiot-proof its next task.

Also, LLMs cannot replace even mid-tier devs right now (or upskill low tier devs) because the fundamentals that those devs lack make them incapable of validating the LLM's answers. I have some junior devs at work right now who keep opening PRs mostly made by LLMs and it is painful AF.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2024-10-13 16:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

I see people claiming this, and I agree that LLMs can do intern-tier work, but interns aren't actually that useful and coming up with projects for them is a PITA. At the end of a successful intern project, you have someone who has learned something and you can maybe develop further into a useful employee. At the end of an LLM intern project, you have an LLM and still need to figure out how to idiot-proof its next task.

Also, LLMs cannot replace even mid-tier devs right now (or upskill low tier devs) because the fundamentals that those devs lack make them incapable of validating the LLM's answers. I have some junior devs at work right now who keep opening PRs mostly made by LLMs and it is painful AF.

I don't think people realize that intern programs are really just ways to filter out prospective new hires for junior positions. If the person is useless you can just opt not to hire them and not worry about employee termination and potential discrimination lawsuits. Contract to FTE positions are similar but for more mid range or senior positions.
[+]