ATTN: Smokers, I Have A Question.

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » ATTN: Smokers, I have a question.
ATTN: Smokers, I have a question.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 9 10 11
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 16:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Kujata.Celelove said:
I smoke because it helps me to get rid of some stress.
You can find other alternatives for stress relief. ----Don't use that excuse as a crutch----.
how is that not condescending ? dude doesnt even need an excuse period, hes just doing what he wants to do.

The mere fact that an excuse was used implies that the person agrees that they shouldn't but is finding reasons not too. Sure they could've been like you cause I want to. But they didn't now did they?

lol she didnt even say it as a guilty excuse... wow, the op asked why do we do what we do. she answered i do what i do because... ~
your assumption that shes using it as a crutch to cater a bad excuse is condescending as hell, i dont know why i even asked.

edit: my bad too. didnt see your next rebuttal before response.

double edit:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Your the one making presumptions here.

your right and i was wrong to, i apologize to whomever it may concern.
[+]
 Ifrit.Nikashi
Server: Ifrit
user: Nikashi
By Ifrit.Nikashi 2009-11-08 16:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I started 'cause cigarettes help me relax. Didn't find that out 'til about 2 weeks before I got kicked outta my parents' house. That was about a year ago. Been meaning to quit, but...
[+]
 Seraph.Helixx
Server: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-11-08 16:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

people who never smoked should not post here. Go try it, come back and post.

Most people i know do it for social reasons, and there is not much to it to have a cigarret once a month on a social gettogether; much like a beer.
Cigarrets are a type of "drug", or more like a "tick" you have. Some people smoke, others drink, others go out and run till exhausted or take hard drugs.
Smoking is fast and doesn't have short term negatice effects that can't be cured with gum and deodorant.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 16:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Kujata.Celelove said:
I smoke because it helps me to get rid of some stress.
You can find other alternatives for stress relief. ----Don't use that excuse as a crutch----.
how is that not condescending ? dude doesnt even need an excuse period, hes just doing what he wants to do.
The mere fact that an excuse was used implies that the person agrees that they shouldn't but is finding reasons not too. Sure they could've been like you cause I want to. But they didn't now did they?
lol she didnt even say it as a guilty excuse... wow, the op asked why do we do what we do. she answered i do what i do because... ~ your assumption that shes using it as a crutch to cater a bad excuse is condescending as hell, i dont know why i even asked.

Do you really not understand what an excuse is? If you don't feel guilty there is no need for an excuse! After all if you believe there is nothing wrong then you have nothing to excuse. It's not condescending it's basic human nature and logic. And really all excuses are bad. Just ways of convincing yourself or others why you can't do something you can so you don't have to try.

Here to quote old Ben franklin "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else"
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 16:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Helixx said:
people who never smoked should not post here. Go try it, come back and post.

No, I disagree.

I don't have to smoke to be educated on what it will do to my body. I've chosen all my life not to smoke, despite the fact all my friends at school were smokers, always offering me to "try it out". I always said no.

I don't want to smoke. I know what it'll do to my body, I know that there's no benefits to smoking. Social smoking? Fair enough, but you don't need to smoke a cigarrete for your friends to enjoy your company.
[+]
 Asura.Hit
Server: Asura
user: FFXIHit
By Asura.Hit 2009-11-08 16:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was 18 I bought a pack basically just to celebrate the fact that I could.

As a social experiment I decided to "sell" them as loosies to the kids on campus in exchange for their immortal souls. (yeah I'm a strange guy.)

By the end of the week I had no more cigarettes and a bunch of contracts for souls written on anything from notebook paper to napkins. Granted, most of them were from atheist friends trying to get a free smoke, but you'd be surprised how quickly some were willing to abandon their earthly superstitions for something as simple as a cigarette.

One kid actually came back a week later trying to get his soul back, which he did eventually after trading me someone else's soul for his own. The irony is pretty funny, being as how you'd think damning somebody else knowingly just to save yourself would be just as bad in the grand scheme.

If I'm wrong about my theology I'll have to ask the big guy on the other side what he thought of my little experiment. :P
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 17:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

On the subject of stress relief, I watched a fascinating documentary a few weeks ago about different methods of stress relief. It looked in great detail at the most popular methods of stress relief and measured brain impulses to record how much the body reacted and how many of the calming hormones the stress relief released.

Sex was a distance first, although that shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Smoking was quite a way down in how much it stimulated the calming senses and hormones. The results showed that the majority of people using smoking for stress relieve were actually adding to their stress levels by releasing hormones into the brain that provoke the negative thought and depression. The majority of those tested whilst smoking said they smoked to relieve stress, but they found out their smoking was feeding their addiction and not to relieve stress.

Smoking in moderation I could believe, if you're in control of your smoking habits and have full control over it, maybe you are smoking for stress relief. But people who smoke religiously, scientifically, it's an excuse. It's not helping your stress levels, when in fact, it's making them worse. The placebo effect from feeding your addiction is what makes you think smoking relieves your stress levels. Nicotine does the opposite and it's scientifically proven.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm non-smoker, not anti-smoker, so please don't jump on this post as a "OMG I WANT TO SMOKE *** YOU", I really am not saying you shouldn't.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-08 17:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn this got messy too! We can't handle burgers and cigs? lol Seeming more and more obvious people don't even know what e-thugs are either. For shame.

Anyway, I'm probably echoing a few different people, but whether it's smoking, drinking, drugs, over-eating, doing stupid things repetitively, playing under bridges or just living dangerously in general, if it doesn't effect me personally then I'm okay with someone else making that decision for themselves. Sucks for cases like children who don't have a say, but that's on their parent's shoulders.

There's the exception of people I care about and not wanting to see bad things happen to them if it can be helped, but I think that's an individual issue. If anyone's tried talking to a parent about quitting smoking or a sibling about alcohol or drugs because you're scared for them, you probably didn't have fun having that conversation.

Personally I smoked, drank and did heavier drugs than I ever expected doing while I was a teen and it was generally all social and for the sake of living a boring life. I wan't to the point of addiction with cigarettes mostly because I hated the taste and smell, but my entire family, including cousins, have been addicted at one time or another and it just wasn't something I wanted to be involved in remembering the yellow curtains of indoor smoking. I couldn't afford them either. Definitely wouldn't pick the habit up now given the last reason. lol

Anyway, with all that said I'm not going to tell someone how to live their lives given we all experience and perceive life differently. Some people like the idea of burning hard and enjoying life as they want to even if it means fewer years in the long run and I can respect that.
[+]
 Asura.Hit
By Asura.Hit 2009-11-08 17:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Smoking in moderation I could believe, if you're in control of your smoking habits and have full control over it, maybe you are smoking for stress relief. But people who smoke religiously, scientifically, it's an excuse.

I agree, I'll smoke with friends if they offer me a cigarette. I'll smoke on occasion If I'm drinking. But I can count on one hand the amount of packs I have purchased in the last, lets say 4 years. I think I can fairly say I'm in control of my "habit" if you can call it that.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-08 17:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

TEAL DEERZ. In respect to smoking or anything else my policy is to try everything once. Gay sex and such things excluded.
[+]
 Asura.Hit
By Asura.Hit 2009-11-08 17:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Some people like the idea of burning hard and enjoying life as they want to even if it means fewer years in the long run and I can respect that.

^ This..
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 17:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
For shame. Anyway, I'm probably echoing a few different people, but whether it's smoking, drinking, drugs, over-eating, doing stupid things repetitively, playing under bridges or just living dangerously in general...

Wait wut? Playing under bridges?
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-08 17:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know, Dasva, I was thinking like destructive lifestyles and that Red Hot Chiri Peppers song came to mind.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 17:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree entirely, people are free to live their lives as they wish. If people want to poison themselves with cyanide, or smoke cigarrettes or go around lighting fires, so be it. It's their life to deal with the consequences of their actions; providing they don't interfere with me, put me or people I care about in danger, I'll live and let live. Life is too short to preoccupy ourselves with what everyone else is doing, in my opinion.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 17:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
I don't know, Dasva, I was thinking like destructive lifestyles and that Red Hot Chiri Peppers song came to mind.

[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-08 17:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the one. Good song, too! Nice for relaxing the tone here. lol
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 17:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
That's the one. Good song, too! Nice for relaxing the tone here. lol

Good point heres another one about drug use. Bah can't embed the actual music vid for it cause of stupid youtube embedding disabled which is sad cause it's such a great/creepy video

[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 17:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Where'd all the smokers go, this was just getting good. =(
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-08 17:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

And another thread killed by music from Youtube spam D:
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 17:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
And another thread killed by music from Youtube spam D:

I win!
[+]
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-11-08 17:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm probably a bit late, but there are a few reasons i smoke. one is for something to do with my hands ect, if i sit still for too long, i start fidgeting and becoming weird ect. it also helps with my hunger, if i had my way i'd never stop eatting. ever. i dont have alot of responsibility moneywise, and i'm terrible at saving it so it doesnt bother me to spend it on cigs, and everyone knows that a smoke and a cup of tea is better than sex.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-08 18:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
and everyone knows that a smoke and a cup of tea is better than sex.

This is why the world makes British jokes.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-11-08 18:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
and everyone knows that a smoke and a cup of tea is better than sex.

This is why the world makes British jokes.

lol.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2009-11-08 18:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I smoke because you cant beat a cig after a good meal. Can't remember why i started though. I have an addictive personality too, so starting smoking probably wasnt the best idea =/
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-11-08 18:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Shiva.Emobi said:
....I think you got some issues dude. You're seriously UPSET at something someone else is doing?
I work at a hospital. Whenever I go to the lung department(People usually have screwed up lungs, or have had surgeries to get parts removed and get breathing assistance through medical equipment) I see patients that hide cigs under their beds and in their shoes. I get reports that patients call their families to bring them cigs. I hear of patients continiously try to sneak out for a smoke when it's freezing outside. And you're asking me if I'm upset?

But pots okay...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-08 18:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Anyway, I'm probably echoing a few different people, but whether it's smoking, drinking, drugs, over-eating, doing stupid things repetitively, playing under bridges or just living dangerously in general, if it doesn't effect me personally then I'm okay with someone else making that decision for themselves. Sucks for cases like children who don't have a say, but that's on their parent's shoulders.

"No man is an island" ~John Donne
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-11-08 18:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
"No man is an island" ~John Donne

Okay then, i hold you responsible for the OP's hypocracy.
[+]
 Ramuh.Annabelle
By Ramuh.Annabelle 2009-11-08 19:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

"Why do you smoke?" is a far less important question than "How are you gonna quit smoking?"

Quitting cigarette smoking is by *far* the most influential change Americans can make towards better national health. Don't like the federal government making changes to the healthcare system? Then do your part to lower the cost of healthcare for everyone ... stop smoking, today.

If that's not enough reason to quit, there's these little gems:
Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide gas. Yes, that's the same toxic gas emitted from automobile tailpipes.
Nicotine raises your blood pressure and heart rate. If you don't know why that's a bad thing, look it up.
Cigarette smoke also contains about 4000 other chemicals, including formaldehyde (used to preserve cadavers), arsenic (poison), and lead (poison).

Still not convinced?
Cigarette smoking (seriously) increases your risk for lung cancer, bladder cancer, cervical cancer, heart attack, and stroke. Smokers who justify their habit by saying they want to "burn hard" through life, even if it means sacrificing a few years of life ... consider this ... cancer and strokes are NOT pleasant ways to spend the end of your life. The pain from cancer can be unreal, and struggling for breath is probably the most frightening and stressful experience the human body can endure. A stroke can rob you of the ability to move your limbs, to walk, to talk, to understand language, to swallow food and drink ... or all of these at once. Not to mention, the financial and emotional burden on your family and friends who will ultimately end up caring for your illness.

It's no exaggeration to say that smoking cigarettes is the most selfish thing you can do in life.

tl;dr?? Let me put this in forums/gamer-speak: Smoking = Fail.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Noobozaurusrex
Server: Carbuncle
user: 1279561
By Carbuncle.Noobozaurusrex 2009-11-08 19:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been a smoker since I was 15 yrs old. And the fact still remains, to each his/her own. Who gives a ***if you smoke or don't, if you develop lung cancer, or some other form of cancer. The simple fact remains...and that is this:

This *** video rapes!

[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-11-08 20:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Annabelle said:
"Why do you smoke?" is a far less important question than "How are you gonna quit smoking?"

Matter of opinion, and different topic entirely, but if you insist... Who are you to tell someone to do something? If they want to smoke, or do anything else, is it not their right as a person to do so? Seeing as you're American:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness-"

Quote:
Quitting cigarette smoking is by *far* the most influential change Americans can make towards better national health. Don't like the federal government making changes to the healthcare system? Then do your part to lower the cost of healthcare for everyone ... stop smoking, today.

I admit I'm a fan of propaganda, but I'd like some sources on the part in bold. This chunk just sounds like a way to win someone over without anything backing it.

Quote:
If that's not enough reason to quit, there's these little gems:
Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide gas. Yes, that's the same toxic gas emitted from automobile tailpipes.
Nicotine raises your blood pressure and heart rate. If you don't know why that's a bad thing, look it up.
Cigarette smoke also contains about 4000 other chemicals, including formaldehyde (used to preserve cadavers), arsenic (poison), and lead (poison).

This should also be the reason we stop burning coal, driving cars, cremating and/or burying our dead, treating our water, burning gas produced by garbage dumps, making garbage dumps, eating food that isn't 100% natural, making steel, going outside, etc etc etc.

Quote:
Still not convinced?

Not really.

Quote:
Cigarette smoking (seriously) increases your risk for lung cancer, bladder cancer, cervical cancer, heart attack, and stroke. Smokers who justify their habit by saying they want to "burn hard" through life, even if it means sacrificing a few years of life ... consider this ... cancer and strokes are NOT pleasant ways to spend the end of your life. The pain from cancer can be unreal, and struggling for breath is probably the most frightening and stressful experience the human body can endure. A stroke can rob you of the ability to move your limbs, to walk, to talk, to understand language, to swallow food and drink ... or all of these at once. Not to mention, the financial and emotional burden on your family and friends who will ultimately end up caring for your illness.

I could skin my knee while riding my bike, or worse, burn myself while I'm baking cookies! :O

Sarcasm aside, people suffer and die all the time. We refer to this as "Life." You're not going to avoid financial burdens, or emotional burdens regardless of what you do. More importantly, are they not your friends and family for a reason? Should they not respect you enough to tell you what you're doing wrong, but allow you to make your own choices?

Quote:
It's no exaggeration to say that smoking cigarettes is the most selfish thing you can do in life.

Other than second-hand smoke, I'd say this is more propaganda. Using what you've previously said, to do -anything- that could put you at risk would be selfish. Try not to go outside, you might die!

In closing, are you not selfish by flailing your propaganda?

TL;DR: Do something constructive to the discussion instead of flailing propaganda. I also like how you understand "TL;DR" but refer to Smoking=Fail as "Forum/Gamer-speak."

-Post relevant to topic following
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 9 10 11