ATTN: Smokers, I Have A Question.

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » ATTN: Smokers, I have a question.
ATTN: Smokers, I have a question.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-11-08 15:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'd love to stay and see this thread get moved to flame core/locked, but I have band practice. Take it easy, guys and gals.

Keep it civil for chrissakes. <3
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
But...smoking pot is ok?

I suppose. I stopped smoking pot when I hit 20 but I don't actually remember smoking 24 blunts a day.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
But...smoking pot is ok?
I suppose. I stopped smoking pot when I hit 20 but I don't actually remember smoking 24 blunts a day.

Not that I know prices... but wouldn't that be pretty expensive?
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
Server: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-11-08 15:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

My Dad smoked. My Mom smoked. My Grandpa and Grandma on both sides smoked. Everyone smoked. It wasn't a "cool" thing, it wasn't a pressure thing, it was more of a fact of life, people (almost everyone) smoked.

I started smoking when I was 12. That was over 17 years ago. When I started, "Joe Cool" was advertised in magazines and billboards. The "truth" campaign was not around, and companies like "Philip Morris" had the FDA (Federal Drug Administration) in their pocket. A pack of smokes was around $1.50, easy money for a kid that got lunch money every day and had an allowance.

I didn't cough, or get sick, I liked my first drag from a cigarette. I blame that on living in a house of smokers.
I don't remember if I "liked" it at first, but I know that up until the day I quit smoking, I "enjoyed" smoking.

I quit over a year ago, and had it not been for my wife's encouragement and support, I'd still be a smoker today.

The best way to describe how deep the addiction of nicotine can be, is to compare it to food. Some people eat/smoke because they enjoy it, others only when they need it (aka when you body tells you). But if you are to try and stop eating/smoking your body WILL react, not to mention the memory of your enjoyment from the food/cigs.

I'm really disgusted at the show of ignorance in this thread. You kids and preteens have a lot of grouping up to do, and from the way I've seen some adults act, I doubt some of you ever will. Just because you aren't affected by something, or don't understand it doesn't make the rest of the people idiots, it makes you the idiot. Wizen up, do some research, think for yourself. Had I done that at 12, I wouldn't have become a smoker.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-08 15:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So you admit that your (former) self destructive behavior is ok, but sit here passing judgement on others because you work at a hospital?
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
but i wouldnt personally just go around telling everyone erking my nuts they are silly, or i disapprove. i mind my own business.

I don't either. You think I tell the smokers around me that what they're doing is stupid? Most of them are sensible and mature people. I wouldn't dare.

I'm posting this here because it's a forum and you people are from all over the world.
 Shiva.Dinarii
user: Dinarii
By Shiva.Dinarii 2009-11-08 15:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Zayo said:
My Dad smoked. My Mom smoked. My Grandpa and Grandma on both sides smoked. Everyone smoked. It wasn't a "cool" thing, it wasn't a pressure thing, it was more of a fact of life, people (almost everyone) smoked.

I started smoking when I was 12. That was over 17 years ago. When I started, "Joe Cool" was advertised in magazines and billboards. The "truth" campaign was not around, and companies like "Philip Morris" had the FDA (Federal Drug Administration) in their pocket. A pack of smokes was around $1.50, easy money for a kid that got lunch money every day and had an allowance.

I didn't cough, or get sick, I liked my first drag from a cigarette. I blame that on living in a house of smokers.
I don't remember if I "liked" it at first, but I know that up until the day I quit smoking, I "enjoyed" smoking.

I quit over a year ago, and had it not been for my wife's encouragement and support, I'd still be a smoker today.

The best way to describe how deep the addiction of nicotine can be, is to compare it to food. Some people eat/smoke because they enjoy it, others only when they need it (aka when you body tells you). But if you are to try and stop eating/smoking your body WILL react, not to mention the memory of your enjoyment from the food/cigs.

I'm really disgusted at the show of ignorance in this thread. You kids and preteens have a lot of grouping up to do, and from the way I've seen some adults act, I doubt some of you ever will. Just because you aren't affected by something, or don't understand it doesn't make the rest of the people idiots, it makes you the idiot. Wizen up, do some research, think for yourself. Had I done that at 12, I wouldn't have become a smoker.

bam. most intelligent thing i've read all week month
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-08 15:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Why do people smoke?

Because humans are stupid, defiant creatures that if you say "Don't do that" to them, they will do it anyway.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
But...smoking pot is ok?

Not that I know prices... but wouldn't that be pretty expensive?

Depends on the pot/tobacco distribution.

I was usually pretty cheap and due to my lack of money didn't smoke a lot of pot per blunt. But it didn't matter, I got high inhaling freaking car exhaust fumes. >.>
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 15:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont even smoke lol.. but ill sure as ***defend anyone worth defending.
if i go out to eat dinner with my family, and its illegal or against the establishments rules to be smoking, im surely gonna tell some *** smoking to put it out. however, if im going to said *** house to watch a game or somthing, where people are trying to tell him "uhhhg, cant you see were here ? put it out, wahhh wahh."
id tell them just the same, to leave if its that bad for them, and if its not, then shut the *** up about it. i dont know what makes anyone think that smokers dont realize its bad for them, but i assure you most do, and straight up just dont care. just like you could show a kid picture after picture of std's demonstrating the potential ramifications of having unsafe safe.. everyone knows its incredibly stupid to sleep with a stranger, god forbid with out protection.. but people still do it ALL the time lol >.> everyone has a different comprehension of consequences.

my whole big point basically is, people do stuff because they want to. awesome if you dont smoke, you deserve a medal for it.. but people that do arent hurting anyone but themselves and its really no ones business to try and tell em otherwise. not to mention, pointless
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
So you admit that your (former) self destructive behavior is ok, but sit here passing judgement on others because you work at a hospital?

What former self destructive behaviour? I smoked all of one blunt a month for 2 years.

And I just mentioned my job because it was the only way to explain why I was around lung patients. Don't take my words out of context. I'm not passing judgement either.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-08 15:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
my whole big point basically is, awesome if you dont smoke, you deserve a medal for it.. but people that do arent hurting anyone but themselves and its really no ones business to try and tell em otherwise. not to mention, pointless.

I agreed with your post up until this point. Second hand smoke can pose health risks to people even if they don't smoke.

But yea...if smoking bothers you THAT much, don't go to establishments that allow smoking. That's what I do.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 15:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
my whole big point basically is, awesome if you dont smoke, you deserve a medal for it.. but people that do arent hurting anyone but themselves and its really no ones business to try and tell em otherwise. not to mention, pointless.

I agreed with your post up until this point. Second hand smoke can pose health risks to people even if they don't smoke.

But yea...if smoking bothers you THAT much, don't go to establishments that allow smoking. That's what I do.

was mentioned in earlier post.. most major cities now have made it illegal to smoke in public places for that exact reason.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-08 15:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:

was mentioned in earlier post.. most major cities now have made it illegal to smoke in public places for that exact reason.

Hell, entire states are doing that too. Look at New York/New Jersey. Can't even smoke in a bar anymore there. Pennsylvania (where I currently live) is much more lax on their laws here. You can smoke in most bars here.
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
Server: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-11-08 15:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Dinarii, was half expecting to get flamed for who knows what.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-11-08 15:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

All the bars in my city are non-smoking now. I started when I was 14 or 15 and you could get a carton of cigarettes for $10 and I continued to smoke on and off until I was about 24. Cartons are now over $50 due to the taxes and I'm thankful for it. More people who cant afford to smoke means more nonsmokers! I quit about 3-4 years ago. Best thing I've ever done for myself.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Hell, entire states are doing that too. Look at New York/New Jersey. Can't even smoke in a bar anymore there. Pennsylvania (where I currently live) is much more lax on their laws here. You can smoke in most bars here.

Even the non-smoke bars have found a way to evade the no-smoke rule. When you enter the bar and wish to smoke you just leave a dollar or two on the counter. That way if the bar gets raided or something they would have gotten enough extra income to pay for the fine.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 15:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

Even the non-smoke bars have found a way to evade the no-smoke rule. When you enter the bar and wish to smoke you just leave a dollar or two on the counter. That way if the bar gets raided or something they would have gotten enough extra income to pay for the fine.

if i was a non smoker that cared that much about it, id simply just not be a patron of said bar. some i bet may even be willing to go as far as narc'ing it off.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Zayo said:
Thanks Dinarii, was half expecting to get flamed for who knows what.

/flames for you know what!
[+]
 Shiva.Dinarii
By Shiva.Dinarii 2009-11-08 15:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I live in PA as well, and most of the places near where i live are non-smoking. If they serve food at the bar, smoking is not allowed. if it's just a run of the mill bar, there's smoking. and even the places who don't allow indoor smoking, they have a deck or some way to cater to smokers. Think of how many people who only smoke when they're out drinking. think of how much money they'd lose not allowing any smoking at all. most establishments will cater to those who smoke simply for the fear of losing that dollar to someone else.

never heard of the dollar to smoke bit. least not around here. lol
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

And another major lol point is when you seemsome poor fellow on the street asking everyone around for a lighter for his cigarette. I just can't help but /sigh when I see that.
 Shiva.Dinarii
By Shiva.Dinarii 2009-11-08 15:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

hey, to be honest lighters arent the hardest things to lose lol
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What amuses me about some smokers just how far they will go to feed the addiction. I've known a few with little money and I swear sometimes they inhaled more smoke then food... God forbid you tell them how much there habit is costing them when they say they are hungry or poor
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dinarii said:

youmad.jpg
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry FFXI smokers. If you get lung cancer due to smoking I'll still visit you in the hospital. <3

I'm not an extremist.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dinarii said:

Never lost mine and I don't even smoke I just find fire comforting...
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

We call those kind of people pyromaniacs. That's another addiction. >.>
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2009-11-08 15:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I smoked back in high school for about 3 months. I thought it made me look cool. Turns out is only made me look like a douche (idk, maybe it was just my look in general). One day I lit one up and was like "omg, this tastes worse than foul stink ***" so I tossed the pack and never smoked again.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 16:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dinarii said:
yaaaay, more personal elitism and "Im better because i do/dont do x thing" jesus christ, if you can't figure out why people do or don't do something. who cares? some have been smoking since they were 10, they didnt have the warnings and info on smoking years ago.

and hey, people have been smoking one thing or another for ages. why wouldn't it be prevalent in today's society? why are you even surprised? just because today's medical and scientific advances say "hey smoking kills you" so does a lot of things that are less criticized and openly objected to. yeh smoking kills, but so does breathing. how many diseases and germs are spread just by common touches, and close quarters contact?

if you don't like someone smoking, either A) be the douche you are and open your cakehole. or B) move a few feet away. or go somewhere else. if i were a smoker i really would give a ***less if you were uncomfortable for it, there's reasons there are smoking and non-smoking areas in most places. qyb and gtfo.

self important/self righteous flakes.

Get off your *** high horse, this is a discussion topic, not somewhere for you to practise your ehtugism.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11