Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?
Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Homsar 2024-10-09 14:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I'm sure I forgot about some extremely niche use for some of these, but IMO these spells are all either entirely useless or so incredibly niche that setting them or casting them is just being inefficient for the sake of fun.

Power Attack
Helldive
Blood Drain
Claw Cyclone
Poison Breath
Bomb Toss
Smite of Rage
Digest
Jet Stream
MP Drainkiss
Venom Shell
Mandibular Bite
Awful Eye
Blood Saber
Flying Hip Press
Spiral Spin
Seedspray
1000 Needles
Body Slam
Hydro Shot
Corrosive Ooze
Warm-Up
Ram Charge
Final Sting
Vapor Spray
Thunder Breath
Pyric Bulwark
Bloodrake
Foul Waters
Blistering Roar
Crashing Thunder
Sweeping Gauge
Nectarous Deluge
Palling Salvo
Cesspool

Add these to your list, or someone come defend the time they set one of these killer traits instead of something actually useful.

IIRC, Sweeping Gouge can be useful during solo because of the DEF down.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-09 14:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Homsar said: »

16% def down. This is a level 99 spell meaning it's competing with Tenebral Crush (20%), Tourbillion (33%), Bilgestorm (25%).

I guess if you are trying to avoid aoe and are solo...maybe...?
By Homsar 2024-10-09 14:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Homsar said: »

16% def down. This is a level 99 spell meaning it's competing with Tenebral Crush (20%), Tourbillion (33%), Bilgestorm (25%).

I guess if you are trying to avoid aoe and are solo...maybe...?

I haven't played on retail in over a year, but IIRC, Gouge casts much faster and costs less MP than Tenebral. Tourb and Bilge are Unbridled Spells, so they'd typically cede precedence to MG.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-10-09 15:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Charm / Gauge
2. Modus Veritas
3. Unlimited / Flashy / Stealth Shot
4. Assassin's Charge / Warrior's Charge
5. Concentric Pulse
6. Tranquility / Equanimity
7. Smiting Breath
8. Scholar's / Avenger's / Courser's
9. Boost/Gain/Absorb-CHR
10. Aspir Samba
11. Odin
12. Astral Flow Blood Pacts
(minus Clarsach Call, Altana's Favor & Perfect Defense)
13. Level ? Holy
14. Brave Hero Glenn
15. Deodorize
16. Many BLU spells (look at Maletaru's list to agree/dispute)
17. Enspell II

Was going to include the bard songs, but I know some of those get used as dummy songs, which gives them a practical use even if by themselves they are never/rarely used.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-09 15:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Was going to include the bard songs, but I know some of those get used as dummy songs, which gives them a practical use even if by themselves they are never/rarely used.

Only if you're playing BRD wrong. Sorry, couldn't help but this is just a dumb play by lazy people who are doing it wrong. There's never a reason to cast these songs unless you suck at controlling your character.

You should probably also add the CHR etudes, if we're doing a category of CHR spells.
By Mavii 2024-10-09 15:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gouge is cheaper in both MP and set points. I tend to favor it for solo def down. Also single target when that matters.

Has anyone ever cast Bomb Toss for damage? Is someone setting it for the 2 STR?
Digging WAY back in my memory here but iirc Bomb Toss and Blastbomb were staples for the PCC bcnm if you went BLU.

Anyway I agree that there's a lot of BLU spells that are crap and have little or no meaningful value, especially out of the oldest spells. What this started from pages back was that even within that list Hydro Shot stands out as worst in class.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-09 15:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

OTOH, Tenebral Crush gives Macc trait, does more damage, & is AoE (if you're into that kind of thing).

Definitely depends on the use case. I'd agree that Gouge probably has some use when soloing specifically, though I still think the times where you need to avoid aoe specifically and are going to run out of MP while solo are...rare...?

I guess for non-Tizona owning BLU who are farming CP and not pulling the non-aggressive mobs out of a pile and not killing them fast enough for their spawn rates, Gouge is a better defense down. After this discussion, I don't think it truly belongs with all the other trash.

My point was that spells are a can of worms.

How often is Esuna practical? I can't think of a scenario where Misery outdoes Solace while also being debuffed by multiple debuffs that aren't stun/terror/silence and also willing to get your *** beat for it.

Could probably throw all of Afflatus: Misery in there.
[+]
By Nariont 2024-10-09 15:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think its aged great but still has its uses for non-yags. Misery was nice for the odd atk downs, bios, slows etc but it always came with the drawback of the whm has to be enfeebled too, the whm is usually among the highest in meva so if one is to resist, it would be the whm, always bugged me about it, and this was before malig/ody/sortie where the meva gaps were pretty wide.

I think cura is still one of the most mp efficent so there is that. Cureskin on solace is still just so good to have at the ready, woulda been nice if they applied something similar to the cura lines to balance out the defensive aspect, high single target solace ss or smaller but aoe cura misery ones
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-10-09 15:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the use case for Gain-CHR? RDM using Dancing Edge?

All the Enspell IIs
Gain-CHR is only good for waltz potency and the only fight that really benefits from you being good at curing waltz is Alexander...after he full dispels you. So pretty hard dud there since that's not what you're going to spend your MP on when you just lost it all.

Enspell IIs are about Haste Samba and another buff for Naegling. Real low man stuff like SR bosses that can take more than a couple WSs and your trusts are going to find a way to die to the shark or tree. So pretty terrible but I'd still rather have them than not. Obviously they could be much better.
By Tarage 2024-10-09 15:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I continue to say that CHR in general is just garbage. Remove it from the game and you lose next to nothing.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-09 23:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a long time, but I am pretty sure I've used Enspell II over I on RDM in Sealed Fate Master Trial, as a low-TP feed option. IIRC, Enspell 2 put out more damage in a single round than Enspell II did, and you were trying to eliminate multi attacks altogether to keep TP down. Might be an obsolete strat now, but that's the only scenario I've used Enspell II for.
 Bahamut.Drumskull
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Drumskull 2024-10-10 00:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Dodik said: »
Hard disagree. Swipe is used a lot for magic burst Sortie strategies. It's an easy 15k+ dmg, if geared right.
I did a quick search of my logs, and here are the highest Swipes I've done on Sortie Basement bosses.
Code
[19:49:35]Martel uses Swipe.Magic Burst! Triboulex takes 89666 points of damage.
[20:36:08]Martel uses Swipe.Magic Burst! Dhartok takes 80560 points of damage.
[20:04:37]Martel uses Swipe.Magic Burst! Gartell takes 76872 points of damage.
[19:38:40]Martel uses Swipe.Magic Burst! Aita takes 73975 points of damage.
These are the record high damage values, so of course, My averages wouldn't be nearly so good. The damage is massively affected by how badly you get nukewalled. Manage to slip it in there between vollies just right, and the dmg can be pretty high.

The really frustrating thing about Swipe and lunge is the recast. Well, and the rune maintenance. You're only getting one set per sortie boss unless things go very wrong.

I only have 1 MBII Item for my Rune MATB SET only the ongo hands R20 but my lunge dont capp every time but around 40-80k il look into it to get Higher Swipe damages or maybe becasue i pull prior to wizard rolls?.
 Asura.Thunderjet
Server: Asura
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-10-10 00:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaiylie said: »
I have actually and justifiably been asked to not use Drain and Aspir Sambas as a joke because the effects make it impossible to see just about anything. They're definitely worse than useless.
Man i havent seen titan Rock throws for years lol
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8