Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?
Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By SimonSes 2024-10-07 14:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Domain ring for some extra regain in quiet times with Boost.

Fake monk spotted! ;)
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-10-07 14:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
9. Scholar's / Avenger's / Blitzer's / Courser's / Choral Roll
Blitzer's you can use for Tenzen. I run RDM and COR for beits. You don't have to wait around for trusts to decide if they want to give you march. Capped delay for enspells is the only thing that matters other than getting off a leaden salute before he yaegs.

SimonSes said: »
Domain ring for some extra regain in quiet times with Boost.

Fake monk spotted! ;)
I'm absolutely not a monk at all, but it can still be used for it.

I don't know enough about BLU to talk about that. If someone can back up what Iocus is saying about that, I'd consider adding everything stated.

I already commented on that. Chain Affinity can't be considered bad or useless by any means. It's part of the bumba V25 strategy for example. I wouldn't consider efflux to be useless too. It's good to do damage on piercing weak mobs, especially the ones with slashing resist. There is also at least one good use case for Efflux and that's using it for Tourbillion to increase def down duration.

Yeah CA or Efflux are useable, the comment is about physical blue magic without them being highly diminished.
By Shichishito 2024-10-07 14:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kuumihumi said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Last Resort merits are some bull ***.

IIRC it's the only merit that makes a penalty worse

Each merit gains an attack bonus AND a defense penalty.

WTF is that crap?

"Last Resort Effect Increase attacks by 2 percent, but lower defense by 2 percent"

Diabolic Eye is also kind of ***to me. Max HP Down sucks.
we drks like to play on the edge
If you view dread spikes as additional dmg rather than a safety layer the defense penalty realy is a damage buff. :P

I like defender on /WAR!

Aspir Samba realy is underwhelming, maybe there are some latent effect items that need to drain 1 MP/tic and losing the samba slot to aspir is better than losing a song slot to ballade?
By SimonSes 2024-10-07 14:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What I meant is that item, that grants regain with Boost is belt, not ring. Unless you meant something completely different.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-10-07 14:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Aspir Samba is an interesting one to consider. Dancer doesn't use MP, and other jobs with MP either aren't meleeing or have other ways to get MP.

9. Scholar's / Avenger's / Blitzer's / Courser's / Choral Roll

Blitzer's you can use for Tenzen. I run RDM and COR for beits. You don't have to wait around for trusts to decide if they want to give you march. Capped delay for enspells is the only thing that matters other than getting off a leaden salute before he yaegs.

Also, has anyone else ever used Blitzer's roll for anything? I remember reading that it actually hurts TP flow.
 Phoenix.Iocus
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-10-07 14:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What I meant is that item, that grants regain with Boost is belt, not ring. Unless you meant something completely different.

Oh that's even better. Thanks for the return comment.
By Shichishito 2024-10-07 14:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Im sorry but who is puttin CA/Efflux on the same useless tier as Modus Veritas and Unlimited Shot??
I made a case for chain affinity, it's weak but has a purpose, ghetto access to fusion property. Efflux on the other hand I can't see much value at all, if you're eager for those extra ~30 seconds of 13% more def down just wait a couple of swings for the TP or simply bring a BST.
TBH I use it so rarely that I usually have the extra TP befor I found the correct macro.
[+]
 Shiva.Myamoto
Server: Shiva
user: Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-10-07 14:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
10. Sange

Sange isn't entirely useless. It can be used to hit Flying monsters (like Ouryu or the Escha Gargoyle) or mobs that use perfect dodge, allowing you to get TP when they otherwise would evade you. You can then use like a magic ws to deal damage during PD (I actually did that this month during ambu while qutrub used PD). I don't have it unlocked because I don't like carrying shurikens besides the one for Daken, but its still a slight dps increase to use it vs not. Still a bad move, but not totally worthless.

While that may be true, with 3 pieces of equipment you can reach 99% and not consume any shurikens in the process.

54% natively + 25%(jse neck), 10% relic body, 10% artifact hands.

And if you have the ability to augment Kuni, that's another 5 potentially.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-07 14:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Aspir Samba is an interesting one to consider. Dancer doesn't use MP, and other jobs with MP either aren't meleeing or have other ways to get MP.

Aspir Samba is seemingly useless in more ways than one. I once used it in a fight to help a DRK get MP back (he was also refreshed), not sure if he was using Schere Earring. But then quickly realized how useless of an ability it is, because it also conflicts with Endark II's proccing. I still haven't come up with a good use for it, maybe if DNC+BLU are duoing and the BLU doesn't have Tizona? You have to dig really deep to find a use case for it, unless im just not that sophisticated.

Also, has anyone else ever used Blitzer's roll for anything? I remember reading that it actually hurts TP flow.

It does lower your TP gain because it reduces your delay. You could use it if you were ever in an event where you don't have trusts but need to cap delay reduction, but most people just have extra DW gear they carry. The Blitzer/Enspell strat mentioned above was interesting, though I don't think Blitzer goes beyond the 80% attack speed cap, so not sure how that does anything if you have the appropriate DW.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-07 15:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Myamoto said: »
10. Sange

Sange isn't entirely useless. It can be used to hit Flying monsters (like Ouryu or the Escha Gargoyle) or mobs that use perfect dodge, allowing you to get TP when they otherwise would evade you. You can then use like a magic ws to deal damage during PD (I actually did that this month during ambu while qutrub used PD). I don't have it unlocked because I don't like carrying shurikens besides the one for Daken, but its still a slight dps increase to use it vs not. Still a bad move, but not totally worthless.

While that may be true, with 3 pieces of equipment you can reach 99% and not consume any shurikens in the process.

54% natively + 25%(jse neck), 10% relic body, 10% artifact hands.

And if you have the ability to augment Kuni, that's another 5 potentially.

You absolutely are not going to get me to defend Sange under any circumstances. The move is terrible, but I would argue getting that level of Daken is probably reserved for better geared players. Nearly nobody is carrying the relic body and AF hands for that purpose, and I doubt a weaker NIN has Kunimitsu and +2 neck ranked. It could still be a dps increase for a weaker-geared NIN because it increases their TP speed. But the move is a bad, like I said earlier, and once you get a top geared NIN, the move is worthless.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-07 15:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh...IDK about worthless. There are MUCH better TP pieces you could be wearing on NIN than sitting in relic body and AF hands, even if you have them. I have removed them from my engaged set entirely because they're squishy and provide hardly any (if any) TP gain over wearing Malignance, for example. Malignance gives bonus TP to all of your swings plus bonus TP to your shuriken throw.

If you're wearing Malignance and activate Sange, it increases your TP gain. Hell, even if you WANT to wear the JSE pieces to always have 100% Daken, you might as well use Sange and have an alternate TP set while Sange is up.

This, of course, assumes you aren't using Innin, Yonin, or Ninjutsu merits.

It's not GREAT (and I don't have it merited) but it's definitely far from useless, shuriken costs aside.
By Shichishito 2024-10-07 15:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

but most people just have extra DW gear they carry
I don't.
If I solo I choose trusts to make sure that haste, at least in theory, is capped and simply ignore the constant trust BRD fk ups.

If I end up in a melee party with uncapped haste I don't want any half assed band-aid, I want everyone present to consciously experience how much of a suck uncapped haste is.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-07 15:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
it's weak but has a purpose
Then its not worthless and useless.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-07 16:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I misspoke when I said worthless in my previous comment about sange. Original post I said it was a bad move with a purpose.
 Shiva.Myamoto
Server: Shiva
user: Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-10-07 16:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know, you can start going down some big rabbit holes if you start labeling bad moves with a purpose vs. worthless. All moves have a "purpose".

To circle back, Modus Veritas... Horrible move... but has a purpose... despite it being ***and inaccurate... it still has a purpose.

A bad move is a worthless move lol plain and simple.
By SimonSes 2024-10-07 16:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I made a case for chain affinity, it's weak but has a purpose, ghetto access to fusion property. Efflux on the other hand I can't see much value at all, if you're eager for those extra ~30 seconds of 13% more def down just wait a couple of swings for the TP or simply bring a BST.
TBH I use it so rarely that I usually have the extra TP befor I found the correct macro.

Efflux doesnt use TP, so you can throw ~2000TP Tourbillion without using TP and save it for WS. I'm not even gonna start with argument "simply bring BST", because it's too stupid to discuss it. CA is not only access to fusion, but to on-demand skillchain step in general, which is once again used for BumbaV25 for example, but it can also close strong Darkness with Expiacion.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-07 16:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

To circle back, Modus Veritas... Horrible move... but has a purpose... despite it being ***and inaccurate... it still has a purpose.
Except Modus literally has no use or purpose since its nerf.

Any half-*** SCH can hit a 5k Helix, so Modus already fails because of the 10k cap. If you cant break 5k, theres still a really high chance Modus will fail.

This is the textbook definition of useless and worthless.
 Asura.Frod
Server: Asura
By Asura.Frod 2024-10-07 16:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

ecliptic howl, frost armor, diamond storm, pavor nocturnus.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-10-07 16:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »

All of these seem to have some use, except probably Diamond Storm. Nothing is so evasive that it requires a -25 evasion debuff. I can see uses for the other three and I do not play Summoner.

Can anyone justify Diamond Storm for being anything more than worthless?
By Nariont 2024-10-07 17:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Potentially blocks evasion up tp moves, rare as those are these days
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-10-07 17:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, wut?

You're telling me that regular taken take priority over the Sange enforced dakens which activate (once per turn) when Sange is up?

This would mean that you can still benefit from the bonus Sange gives you, but without consuming any shuriken at all.

Still hard to defend Sange anyway, that ability was born wrong and SE never fixed it completely, alas.
Low amount of good shurikens, most of which can't be really "consumed" because of how hard/annoying it is to obtain them.
And then the last part is the fact that Daken relies on Ranged Accuracy, which is a pain because 99% of the rest of your gear will have melee accuracy and not Ranged Accuracy.
Honor March is one of the very very very few buffs what will provide both.
This brings you to the situation where, despite the native ~100 Acc hidden bonus Daken procs have, the overall Racc will fall around te 55% rate whereas your melee hits will be at the capped ~97.5% rate (99% for main, 95% for sub).

So yeah, despite me loving Daken, lots of things went wrong with them.
After defending Sange for the longest time, I finally removed it from my merit skills on NIN
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2024-10-07 18:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
This brings you to the situation where, despite the native ~100 Acc hidden bonus Daken procs have, the overall Racc will fall around te 55% rate whereas your melee hits will be at the capped ~97.5% rate (99% for main, 95% for sub).

Sounds like a 50% FUA proc. Works as intendedTM!
[+]
By Tarage 2024-10-07 18:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2024-10-07 18:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

After defending Sange for the longest time, I finally removed it from my merit skills on NIN

My man!!!!

Yeah, f**k Sange. I used my "one-time only" item restore after throwing a Happo Shuriken +1 back when it was very hard to come by on my server and worth a lot.
By Shichishito 2024-10-07 18:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Efflux doesnt use TP, so you can throw ~2000TP Tourbillion without using TP and save it for WS.
What stops you from just saving up 2000TP or even 3000TP befor you cast Tourbillion, you keep the TP regardless of Efflux beeing active or not. The only thing that uses up TP on physical spells is Chain Affinity (part of what makes it so awful).
I'm not even gonna start with argument "simply bring BST", because it's too stupid to discuss it.
Is it? If your goal is to reduce mob defense as far as possible and you have the choice between one job who can do it for 60-120 seconds depending on TP on a 10 minute - 1 hour timer and another job who can do it for 60-90 but independant of TP and reapply if needed then I think it's a viable argument.
Maybe BST doesn't fit the bill for a particular gaol fight you're trying to base your argument on but for most of the cases of this scenario BST is a viable alternative for that purpose.
BST can also skillchain step on demand, they don't even have to sacrifice TP.

Just for the record, I'm not advocating for putting Chain Affinity on the completely worthless list, I occasionally use it myself for the SC option.
However it's awfully implemented due to it's TP consumption, long cooldown and weak physical spells in general and I think it needs a buff.

If they replaced Efflux on the other hand I probably wouldn't miss it at all.

Speaking of worthless list, what is this trying to accomplish? Convince SE to buff those spells and abilities, remove them from the game or replace them with something usefull?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2024-10-07 18:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Blitzer's is fine, it basically just works like Dual Wield (but as attack delay for all jobs, not just for people who are dual wielding). So, same deal as DW gear: if you're already at delay cap and you use it, it doesn't make you swing any faster and just costs you TP. If you are uncapped delay, it's a major buff.

Can be worth using on some (obviously non-optimal) setups, like maybe you have some rando 2nd/3rd party in an alliance that just has a COR and a couple melees and no way to cap haste via spells.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-07 19:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

And then the last part is the fact that Daken relies on Ranged Accuracy, which is a pain because 99% of the rest of your gear will have melee accuracy and not Ranged Accuracy.

A lot of gear that is part of NIN's TP set nowadays has both acc and racc. Ashera, Su3, Malignance, Nyame, Empy/AF/Relic, Herculean, Adhemar, even Mummu attire which is lower grade has some ranged accuracy. The only sets of NIN garb that don't have racc are Tatenashi and Mpaca sets, the latter being an extremely oddball decision to not throw racc on there. Most accessories that have acc also have racc, like jse neck, ambu back, earrings like telos/crepuscular. Most, if not all Katanas have Ranged Accuracy on it. NIN also has A+ in Throwing. Not trying to derail or anything, but NIN is not hurting for Ranged Accuracy in their TP sets.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-07 19:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Myamoto said: ยป
Wait, wut?

You're telling me that regular taken take priority over the Sange enforced dakens which activate (once per turn) when Sange is up?

This would mean that you can still benefit from the bonus Sange gives you, but without consuming any shuriken at all.

They are making the case that Sange is kind of silly to make you have 100% shuriken throw rate, when you can wear the gear and get the same effect and not consume any ammo. Sange activation ignores Daken, and will always consume a shuriken every attack round, regardless of how much Daken you have. You can go out and test it easily: Ranked Tsuru/Kunimitsu/AF+3 hands/Relic+3 body/JSE+2 neck should put you at 114% Daken rate. Pop Sange, you will still consume ammo.
By SimonSes 2024-10-07 19:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What stops you from just saving up 2000TP or even 3000TP befor you cast Tourbillion, you keep the TP regardless of Efflux beeing active or not. The only thing that uses up TP on physical spells is Chain Affinity (part of what makes it so awful).

Ok I guess you don't know how blue magic works. Without CA or Efflux or SP, your physical blue magic spells are cast as 0TP. The amount of TP you have is irrelevant.

Is it? If your goal is to reduce mob defense as far as possible and you have the choice between one job who can do it for 60-120 seconds depending on TP on a 10 minute - 1 hour timer and another job who can do it for 60-90 but independant of TP and reapply if needed then I think it's a viable argument.
Maybe BST doesn't fit the bill for a particular gaol fight you're trying to base your argument on but for most of the cases of this scenario BST is a viable alternative for that purpose.
BST can also skillchain step on demand, they don't even have to sacrifice TP.

It is stupid, because the point is to use what's available to you on current selected job more efficiently. You could literally turn around every discussion like that and say to bring different job, who can do the specific task even better.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-07 19:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »

All of these seem to have some use, except probably Diamond Storm. Nothing is so evasive that it requires a -25 evasion debuff. I can see uses for the other three and I do not play Summoner.

Can anyone justify Diamond Storm for being anything more than worthless?

He made a good point about listing BP.

There is a difference between a bad and a worst move.

A bad move could be considered something useless.

A worst move could be considered a move thats not only useless but detrimental to the player.

For example the BST jas: are they useless? Kinda (they can still be used as a proc probably), but using them wont penalize the player more than the animation lock.

While BPs, for example, given they have shared timer, picking a bad BP means the player will be penalized with the timer till its available again, making it way more detrimental than a silly useless move.
[+]