Whats Your RL Job / Sub Job ? (main Job / Hobby)

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Whats your RL job / Sub job ? (main job / hobby)
Whats your RL job / Sub job ? (main job / hobby)
By trinironnie 2024-09-23 18:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna list my jobs as I played FFXI... Burlington Coat Factory > Target > Military for 11 years as an FMF Corpsman, now working IT helpdesk at a hospital, slowly transitioning into cybersecurity. Sub-job = streaming/video games.
[+]
By trinironnie 2024-09-23 18:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like a lot of people playing FFXI work in some type of IT field, though my LS has two doctors, lol.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-09-23 19:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Currently Im an apprentice with subjob student.

Apprentice because thats kinda my role in the team Ive just joined.

Student because Ive been studying to undertake tests for new jobs just in case my current one isnt what I expect
[+]
By trinironnie 2024-09-23 19:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Currently Im an apprentice with subjob student.

Apprentice because thats kinda my role in the team Ive just joined.

Student because Ive been studying to undertake tests for new jobs just in case my current one isnt what I expect
Apprentice forrrrrrrr?
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-09-23 20:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Backline Sandwich maker at Arby's -> Electrician's Mate Nuclear in USN -> Tire Handler at a tiring recycling plant -> Hotel Night Auditor -> Hotel Assistant Manager

Subjob is Let's Play Youtuber. No it's not very lucrative nor successful in modern era unless you already had a following like pre-2017 youtube. Kinda forever mad that I didn't get in on it sooner.

I was fired from the Arby's for "being too slow" but actually because I am a dude, and the manager at that location thought all men were garbage. Even made up some fake *** story about me groping and gawking at the girls who worked there. I said show me the tapes, we've got cameras everywhere. She recanted and then went into the, "Well, you're just slow and bad at your job." - "Why am I assigned rush evenings and truck days, then?"

I passed up the opportunity to land a sweet high paying job right out of the USN because I wanted a big break and to go to Japan, which I did for about a month. Kind of regret it sometimes, but wouldn't have met my wife that way.

Been in Hospitality now for 6 years. I did resign from being night auditor in 2022 though, because there was no way out and no respect afforded to me by management at the time. Spent about 10 months unemployed. And I mean by any management, as the hotel I work at runs through GMs like Brian Regan runs through Fig Newtons. Kinda looking for a different job. Have been applying to lots of security jobs and other things recently, but no luck so far. I'm actually really good at my job, but I've been hating working with the public for a while. They're the best and worst part of the job, but sadly, more often than not, just the worst.
[+]
By trinironnie 2024-09-23 20:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Backline Sandwich maker at Arby's -> Electrician's Mate Nuclear in USN -> Tire Handler at a tiring recycling plant -> Hotel Night Auditor -> Hotel Assistant Manager

Subjob is Let's Play Youtuber. No it's not very lucrative nor successful in modern era unless you already had a following like pre-2017 youtube. Kinda forever mad that I didn't get in on it sooner.

I was fired from the Arby's for "being too slow" but actually because I am a dude, and the manager at that location thought all men were garbage. Even made up some fake *** story about me groping and gawking at the girls who worked there. I said show me the tapes, we've got cameras everywhere. She recanted and then went into the, "Well, you're just slow and bad at your job." - "Why am I assigned rush evenings and truck days, then?"

I passed up the opportunity to land a sweet high paying job right out of the USN because I wanted a big break and to go to Japan, which I did for about a month. Kind of regret it sometimes, but wouldn't have met my wife that way.

Been in Hospitality now for 6 years. I did resign from being night auditor in 2022 though, because there was no way out and no respect afforded to me by management at the time. Spent about 10 months unemployed. And I mean by any management, as the hotel I work at runs through GMs like Brian Regan runs through Fig Newtons. Kinda looking for a different job. Have been applying to lots of security jobs and other things recently, but no luck so far. I'm actually really good at my job, but I've been hating working with the public for a while. They're the best and worst part of the job, but sadly, more often than not, just the worst.
Brother please tell me your applied for the VA, USN squeezed all the juice out of us make sure u squeeze them back. What ships were u on while USN? What about overseas security ?
 Bahamut.Senaki
Server: Bahamut
user: Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-09-23 20:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The bots watching this thread to harvest our data:

---
I have been a student all my life. I will probably die a student given how slow I am at research (apparently).
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-09-24 05:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

QA/gamer and father/LEGObuilder
By K123 2024-09-24 06:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Scholar IRL
Sub job troll
 Bahamut.Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-09-24 06:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
Scholar IRL

Light Arts or Dark Arts?
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-24 08:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

trinironnie said: »
Gonna list my jobs as I played FFXI... Burlington Coat Factory > Target > Military for 11 years as an FMF Corpsman, now working IT helpdesk at a hospital, slowly transitioning into cybersecurity. Sub-job = streaming/video games.

I would say I spent most of my time studying stuff related to economy, geopolitics(since they are related to economy), business/commerce and writing.

So that makes me a multidisciplinary student I guess.

My hobby is also learning new stuff in new fields and reading. So student/student. ;)
 Bahamut.Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-09-24 08:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

I would say I spent most of my time studying stuff related to economy, geopolitics(since they are related to economy), business/commerce and writing.
=)

This is very cool!

Are you studying Political Economy? Or Econometrics? :o
By Afania 2024-09-24 08:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Senaki said: »

=)

This is very cool!

I am not currently enrolled in academic institution so subjects like Econometrics is too academic to me. Although I have thought about enrolling in business related field like business school if I ever get a chance to.

I do enjoy studying pros and cons of different economy system in different countries, as well as studying the main industry of other countries. I feel it helped me understand why certain things work the way they are, and stay vigilant on market condition change.

I feel understanding these economy related things also help me invest better and manage money better, in return it give me a better position to handle life.

Personally, I think being a student is the best job ever because learning new things is the greatest weapon against uncertainty in life. Any job can be replaced by AI, not people who learn, adapt and innovate.
 Bahamut.Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-09-24 08:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

=)

This is very cool!

I am not currently enrolled in academic institution so subjects like Econometrics is too academic to me. Although I have thought about enrolling in business related field like business school if I ever get a chance to.

I do enjoy studying pros and cons of different economy system in different countries, as well as studying the main industry of other countries. I feel it helped me understand why certain things work the way they are, and stay vigilant on market condition change.

I feel understanding these economy related things also help me invest better and manage money better, in return it give me a better position to handle life.

Personally, I think being a student is the best job ever because learning new things is the greatest weapon against uncertainty in life. Any job can be replaced by AI, not people who learn, adapt and innovate.

While I did not major in it, I took extensive Economy courses in undergraduate.

Business studies are VERY pragmatic and marketable. They're a great choice!

Econometrics is the study of statistical methods with an application in economics. (Think of trying to determine what variables will influence the sale of careseats in a small town [ex: average income, # of parents in town, location of car seats in store, etc] {This is often referred to as Regression Analysis and is a common method in Econ studies}).

You might find this website of interest if you like studying economic trends over time:
>> https://fred.stlouisfed.org/

If you're interested in comparing countries economies, you might find interest in looking into the terms of: Command Economy, Free Market, Mixed Economy.

Further, Comparative Advantage theories might be of interest to you, :)
  • Here is an article explaining NeoClassical Economic theory vs. Comparative Advantage

Hunt, Shelby D., and Robert M. Morgan. 1995. “The Comparative Advantage Theory of Competition.” Journal of Marketing. 59(2): 1–15. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252069.

(Go to JSTOR [academic article website] for this, you should be able to access it for free. SAGE suckkkkssss.)

• Disclaimer: I only briefly skimmed it to make sure it was what I wanted.

In simple terms, Comparative Advantage argues 'countries should sell what they are good at, and focus on that'. The textbook case is Taiwan with Microchips.

-------
My study of focus is not econ, but econ-adjacent. I have a MA, almost a MS.
[+]
 Bahamut.Academic
user: Sevu
By Bahamut.Academic 2024-09-24 09:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, in the world of Vana'diel I'm a main SCH (if my username wasn't obvious enough).

RL I'm a former lead back-end dev focused in Telco and nowadays a IT Manager/Scrum Master. I'll probably aim to become a SAFe agile coach or along those lines in the next 5 years.

I feel like a lot of people playing FFXI work in some type of IT field, though my LS has two doctors, lol.

This seems to become a trend in the past decade. I don't remember playing or interacting with a lot of IT professions in the mid 2000s when I started the game. On the other hand, we were all nerdy teenagers for most part in that era.
By Afania 2024-09-24 09:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You might find this website of interest if you like studying economic trends over time:
>> https://fred.stlouisfed.org/

If you're interested in comparing countries economies, you might find interest in looking into the terms of: Command Economy, Free Market, Mixed Economy.

Further, Comparative Advantage theories might be of interest to you, :)
Here is an article explaining NeoClassical Economic theory vs. Comparative Advantage

Hunt, Shelby D., and Robert M. Morgan. 1995. “The Comparative Advantage Theory of Competition.” Journal of Marketing. 59(2): 1–15. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252069.

(Go to JSTOR [academic article website] for this, you should be able to access it for free. SAGE suckkkkssss.)

Disclaimer: I only briefly skimmed it to make sure it was what I wanted.

In simple terms, Comparative Advantage argues 'countries should sell what they are good at, and focus on that'. The textbook case is Taiwan with Microchips.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

Semiconductor industry and its supply chains is also one industry that I studied. That's how I ended up getting into geopolitics subject XD. Then geopolitics study quickly expand to middle east regions as all the wars increased gold price.

Knowing the political conflicts in different regions provides deeper insight on why certain assets price increase so much. I love it.
[+]
 Sylph.Truckie
Server: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Truckie 2024-09-24 09:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dad/Mom
By SimonSes 2024-09-24 09:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Truckie said: »
Dad/Mom

I'm confused.

You are single parent? You are a dad and your interest is your mom? Or you wanted to say you are interested in yours kids mom, so your wife?
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-09-24 10:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nerd/Power Lifter

Weird I know
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2024-09-24 10:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Steamfitter Superintendent for UA Local 602.
On the side I build PCs. It’s so much easier these days.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2024-09-24 10:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Dad/husband/underground driller
 Bahamut.Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-09-24 10:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Knowing the political conflicts in different regions provides deeper insight on why certain assets price increase so much. I love it.

You might find Political Science topics salient.

Political Economy heavily focuses on what you seem to be interested in.

If you get a chance to take college classes, try a trade policy course!

Community colleges will let you audit courses (without receiving credit). But community colleges will be cheaper than universities. My local community college has courses for about $200 each. Auditing is a good non-commitment option if you are not sure what you want to go into yet.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-09-24 11:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Main jobs unlocked: Board Test Technician -> Unit Test Technician -> Board Test Lead -> Document Controller -> Engineering Technician -> Software Engineer

Final build: Software engineering / Electrical engineering
[+]