RIP, Prothescar.

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » RIP, Prothescar.
RIP, Prothescar.
First Page 2 3
Administrator
By Rooks 2024-08-12 20:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Our friend and fellow poster, Prothescar, passed away on July 27th.

Some of you will know that he'd had real health complications for a long time; he made no secret of them, and made jokes about them with a fearlessness I hope I have in me if I ever face such.

Whether you know him from the guide work he's done, the questions he'd answer in threads, or just him posting nonsense in RT, if you've spent any time here or just in FFXI, your experience was made better by things he's done.

Our community is not large, and it feels a lot smaller today. RIP, friend.

[+]
By Foxfire 2024-08-12 21:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still trying to process this, so for now I'll just say that I hope that the nature of internet aliases and all it's not true and he'll be back

because there's not much i can do otherwise
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2024-08-12 21:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't sure how to respond when Rooks mentioned it. Proth and I had a rocky history but in the end we both kinda chilled out. He was very open about the things he was going through and what he described seemed like a waking nightmare that I don't think I'd even attempt to survive. I'm not even sure what to say, it's sad to see someone from our dwindling community pass.
[+]
By Taint 2024-08-12 21:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP…. He was an incredibly valued member of this community. Thoughts and prayers.
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-08-12 22:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

His courage in the face of adversity was something I deeply admired.
[+]
 Asura.Bluespoons
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Bluespoons 2024-08-12 22:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta drink a watermelon shake in his honor. He was an absolute gem of a person <3
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-08-12 22:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

As a person, Proth was a pretty approachable guy. My sincere condolences if any family or close friends are reading this.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2024-08-12 23:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
This kind of thing is hard to get real verification on, with pseudonyms and the internet. I have fact-checked this to the very best of my ability, but let me assure you that if it turns out to be wrong, I will walk this back with the biggest goddamned smile you've ever seen.
It's pretty real. I wish it weren't. When I was putting an Odyssey group together, he was the first person I recruited. We ended up progressing through Odyssey and then transitioned to Sortie. It was pretty fun, even though he'd constantly remind us that he could be playing literally any other game instead of hanging out with us lol. I'm gonna miss that guy.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2024-08-12 23:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah ***I randomly checked the forums on the wrong night. Sad to hear. R.I.P.
[+]
By zixxer 2024-08-12 23:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Last time we chatted was on discord convincing ourselves if it was a smart decision to make the gkt prime as our first prime to stage 5.

He's in my friends list on discord and I hope that doesn't just disappear so I can get a free smile whenever I need one.

Rest in peace friend.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-08-12 23:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

His name has been around on this forum for as long as I can recall. He clearly contributed a lot, and I respect that. We argued about several things over the years, but it never turned nasty. We shared each other's views and moved on. RIP.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-08-12 23:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Goodnight, sweet prince. You were one cool dude, and I wish I'd known you a bit better.

Was honestly still hyped for you to show me BLU cleaving (and PL my lazy ***). Guess I shoulda got off my duff and traveled on over to ya.

Rest in peace, Prothescar.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-08-12 23:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
He was very open about the things he was going through and what he described seemed like a waking nightmare
I joined about the time he was describing it, in detail. And he shook it all off. I am probably a better person from seeing how he handled that and how he loved FFXI/XIV. RIP Proth.
[+]
By ShepardGarrett 2024-08-13 00:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, I didn't know him personally, but he was a constant on the forums and he will be missed.
Was it cancer?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
Server: Carbuncle
user: Imoq
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2024-08-13 00:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

This is absolutely sad news to read. I just randomly opened FFXIAH to read about the updates, and found this. So very sorry for a person's life loss but also for a very valuable member of our community. May he rest in peace. :'(
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-08-13 00:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m sincerely relieved due to the unfathomable amount of suffering he described, because it kills me to hear someone enduring that.

The most genuine presence here, a truly rare thing.
[+]
By gojito 2024-08-13 00:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My condolences for anyone who knew him personally. While I never knew him his name was familiar through the guides I've come across. RIP Prothescar.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-08-13 01:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

What the... no! :-(
Sigh, sad day.
[+]
By Asura.Aragan 2024-08-13 01:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

He was a good person we lost him so sad to hear this news
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-08-13 02:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This is incredibly sad, I know he had serious health problems but I assumed he had got through the worst of it.

We didn't really get on, and we argued more than once over PM but I still liked him being around and I liked reading his posts.

Not only was he a big part of this community, but he did a lot for the XI community and liked the game I value highly too. To use a phrase someone in my family uses a lot, "he was like part of the furniture"

Very sad.
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-08-13 02:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
We didn't really get on, and we argued more than once over PM but I still liked him being around and I liked reading his posts.
yeah same and I don't speak to many of you here either being so nonsocial so we hadn't spoken in a very long time

but when he reached out a few years ago to discuss relationship stresses and I tried to give advice and listen, even back then the effort he put forth to be genuine with me and the third party was admirable, and I'll gladly take any secrets to my grave for them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Vasch
user: heykojiro
By Bismarck.Vasch 2024-08-13 02:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Rest in peace, Immortal.

This Blue Mage will always appreciate you and your contributions to the community.
[+]
 Asura.Fatlock
user: fatlock
By Asura.Fatlock 2024-08-13 03:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Such sad news. Rip prothescar
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2024-08-13 04:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, this is shitty news but at least he's not suffering anymore.
[+]
By nattack 2024-08-13 04:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I always enjoyed Proths quick wits, may he rest in peace.

It's so weird given I saw him post on chat for what feels like not that long ago...

Value the time you have, folks, and the time you have with eachother.
[+]
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
Server: Cerberus
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2024-08-13 04:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP
[+]
By Dodik 2024-08-13 05:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's sadly real. RIP.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-08-13 05:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I never had the chance to play with Prothescar, and we didn't have a whole lot of 1 on 1 conversations either. But, he was one of the few people on here who could hold a serious discussion about mechanics. We're all worse off for his absence, and I hope his passing was peaceful.
[+]
By Virlym 2024-08-13 05:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Devastating.

Din't know the guy personally, but as a casual browser of the forums and someone who regularly used his insanely well put together guides (alot of blue mages out here definitely owe it to him for even being able to get started at all with this job...), it's very obvious to me that this game just lost a pillar of its community.

Hope he's in a better place now. Very saddening news.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-08-13 06:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This is not the update I was looking for today. He will be missed. RIP
[+]
First Page 2 3