Election 2020 The Horse Race (Not Misspelled)

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Election 2020 the horse race (Not misspelled)
Election 2020 the horse race (Not misspelled)
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 33 34 35
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-07 15:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I wont' argue that mail-in voting will be easy to keep fraud to what most would consider "acceptable" levels, but why do people think that in-person voting is so secure?

Retired Volunteers with a paper list and you walk in and say your name? Might be different in major voting centers, but throughout the vast majority of the South and Midwest, its granny doing her civil service that gets her out of the house an extra day that week. Its not some secure environment completely free of fraud and misuse.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-07 15:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Every form of voting is insecure. It's inevitable.

It's stupid to think you can get 200 million peoples choice counted "properly" via any medium.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-07 15:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Every form of voting is insecure. It's inevitable.

It's stupid to think you can get 200 million peoples choice counted "properly" via any medium.

Once we have our datachips installed it'll all be fixed, they promised.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-07 15:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Real talk: so down for chipping everyone. Not doing that debate, but yeah, it should come as no surprise.

Convenience for perceived (f)REEEEEEEEEEEdoms, that ones an easy trade. Zero downsides. (until people inevitably start killing each other for their credit score chips)

But that says more about "society" than the chips.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-07 15:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
but why do people think that in-person voting is so secure?
It eliminates several sources of fraud itself.

Namely:

1) Having somebody else voting for you.
2) Keeping somebody who cannot legally vote from voting.
3) "Lost" or "Misplaced" ballots (assuming they are electronically done).
4) Having your dead grandma vote, or George Washington (I heard that if he was alive, he would vote for Barack Obama again).
5) In the instance of mail-in voting, voting in person prevents any ballot harvesting from occurring.
6) In the instance of mail-in voting, voting in person prevents any ballot from being changed in transit.

There are a lot of weaknesses able to be exploited by mail-in ballots....
[+]
By Prong 2020-08-07 15:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

This right here is the only reason I need to say mail-in voting is a bad idea.

The amount of bloated, pale, pink-haired, nose-ringed moronic 20 somethings with an illogical opinion on everything thinking all else important in the world pales in comparison to Orange Man Bad grabbing nanna and papa's mail-in voter from the box and filling it out themselves would be staggering.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-07 15:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Explain the difference please.
Absentee voting are limited to those who are expected to be outside of the area for business, military, or school reasons. It is different because you are required to, prior to you leaving, to fill out a form and swear under oath in front of a judge or elected official that you are a citizen of the county (and show proof of citizenship) and you will be outside of the general area during the election and unable to vote in person. The only exception to this is for military, and that is handled on the base in question....
Maybe that's how TX does it but in many states all it takes is an ask. No excuses reasons needed.

Example AZ:

Quote:
Voting by Mail: How to Get a Ballot-by-Mail
Arizona has a proud history of secure and reliable voting by mail

Most Arizonans already vote by mail, allowing them to fill out their ballot from the comfort of their home and then mail it back or drop it off at any drop-box or voting location in their county.
AZ Secretary of state

They claim 80% of voters already requested mail ballots.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-07 16:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Namely:

4) Having your dead grandma vote, or George Washington (I heard that if he was alive, he would vote for Barack Obama again).
5) In the instance of mail-in voting, voting in person prevents any ballot harvesting from occurring.
6) In the instance of mail-in voting, voting in person prevents any ballot from being changed in transit.

1 and 2 are already subverted with both in person and mail in voting.

ballot harvesting to me seems like the most serious risk in a national mail-in voting move.

If they want traditional, in-person voting to occur, how about we allow in person voting over a 3 day period, with ZERO VOTES counted until close of voting on the 3rd day. A-G last names on day 1, H-Q day 2, R-Z day 3. Yes, it would require sequestering of the votes until all have voted because you know media would jump on day 1 totals and either "talk people out of voting because their guy already lost" or "encourage reaction voting instead of voting one's true views"....but that's doable.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-07 16:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

since I can't edit- we have been doing mail-in votes for the military since the Civil War...I think we've got a workable system that yes, does require refining, but is a very viable, working start.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-07 16:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

That's probably the "optimal" solution... why the *** is voting a ONE day thing?

Voting month: Schedule an appointment, come in, do your thing, leave. Standing around in a line for hours on a singular day is full blown retardation.

I can get behind everyone voting in person... if they have the ability to come in for more than a single 12 hour window on a single day. it's so simple.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-07 16:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Explain the difference please.
Absentee voting are limited to those who are expected to be outside of the area for business, military, or school reasons. It is different because you are required to, prior to you leaving, to fill out a form and swear under oath in front of a judge or elected official that you are a citizen of the county (and show proof of citizenship) and you will be outside of the general area during the election and unable to vote in person. The only exception to this is for military, and that is handled on the base in question....
Maybe that's how TX does it but in many states all it takes is an ask. No excuses reasons needed.

Example AZ:

Quote:
Voting by Mail: How to Get a Ballot-by-Mail
Arizona has a proud history of secure and reliable voting by mail

Most Arizonans already vote by mail, allowing them to fill out their ballot from the comfort of their home and then mail it back or drop it off at any drop-box or voting location in their county.
AZ Secretary of state

They claim 80% of voters already requested mail ballots.

Well, keep in mind that this is only done out of necessity in Arizona. If you try to leave your house to vote (especially during the primaries) you risk the chance of turning into a medium-rare steak.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-07 23:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Namely:

1 and 2 are already subverted with both in person and mail in voting.

ballot harvesting to me seems like the most serious risk in a national mail-in voting move.

If they want traditional, in-person voting to occur, how about we allow in person voting over a 3 day period, with ZERO VOTES counted until close of voting on the 3rd day. A-G last names on day 1, H-Q day 2, R-Z day 3. Yes, it would require sequestering of the votes until all have voted because you know media would jump on day 1 totals and either "talk people out of voting because their guy already lost" or "encourage reaction voting instead of voting one's true views"....but that's doable.
Texas already has an early voting system in place. And have been doing it for years.

Basically, it's the ability to go to the polls 2 weeks in advance. Even the weekends are available. So, no real excuse to not go to the polls. Or "forget" to do it.
[+]
By Prong 2020-08-07 23:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

since I can't edit- we have been doing mail-in votes for the military since the Civil War...I think we've got a workable system that yes, does require refining, but is a very viable, working start.

No offense but I see this argument and it is easily dismissed. The amount of ballots coming from active military compared to the hundreds of millions of possibilities people can use to commit fraud if the general population used this method aren't comparable. If every single mail-in ballot from an overseas military member was fraudulent it would be basically an inconsequential drop in the bucket compared to the millions of individuals illegally in the US voting as well as the leftist children voting for their old or deceased relatives.

If I or any American were in France, it wouldn't even be a question in our mind whether we should/could be allowed to actually vote in their elections. But for some reason being this is America, the land of the gullible and the home of the naive, half of us seem to think persons illegally in out country voting in our elections to be a good thing. Just because of their political bias.
[+]
By Prong 2020-08-07 23:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
That's probably the "optimal" solution... why the *** is voting a ONE day thing?

Voting month: Schedule an appointment, come in, do your thing, leave. Standing around in a line for hours on a singular day is full blown retardation.

I can get behind everyone voting in person... if they have the ability to come in for more than a single 12 hour window on a single day. it's so simple.

This isn't entirely true in all areas but yeah, I too have always wondered why the vast majority of voting is done in one day. Like if you had an accident or are bed ridden during that day, you CAN vote in other ways, but they aren't as easy and let's be honest, there is a very, very large portion of our population who doesn't even think about voting til it "pops" up or say, someone else they know (or relation) mentions it.

I mean just to be honest, if I had to search for a way to vote other than walking into my local fire station to do it, I'd probably say, "Meh, F it.." because I'm not excited about either choice necessarily.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-08 09:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »
... let's be honest, there is a very, very large portion of our population who doesn't even think about voting til it "pops" up or say, someone else they know (or relation) mentions it....
Let's be honest. The majority of our eligible population does not vote. At all. Ever.

Do you remember the Regan "landslide"? Regan was elected by 18% of the eligible electorate.
By volkom 2020-08-08 10:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If eligible voters don't vote then they shouldn't complain
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-08-08 10:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's be honest. The majority of our eligible population does not vote. At all. Ever.

And then suddenly they all "decide" to vote this year and somehow they all voted "Democrat".

That is the key difference between absentee voting and this insanity the Democrats are attempting. With absentee voting / early voting you clearly express an interest in voting and are awaiting that ballot to send in. The Democrats just want to mail out millions of blank votes knowing most will be ignored so they can be filled out by the aforementioned blue haired tattooed twenty-somethings.

I can easily see stuff like this happening in Florida, Ohio and other places that then to go either way.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-08-08 10:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Baseless conspiracy theories aside, we have come a long way since 18% turnout, but I doubt we ever get to a majority of eligible voters turning out.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-08 10:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not baseless. It's a possibility.

This is something either party could attempt. So, instead of allowing the attempt, we should prevent it from happening.

Why can't you see that? Do you want people to try this?
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-08-08 10:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you trying to "prevent?" Millions of "blue haired twenty-somethings" from voting? There is another, more accurate phrase to describe those people. How about "eligible voters." Why are you trying to prevent eligible voters from voting?
By volkom 2020-08-08 12:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If someone were to go to a polling station to cast a vote for an election ~ the following will and can happen:

- the people can verify that you are an eligible voter
- they can provide instruction on how to vote if there's any confusion, this is especially helpful for 1st time voters and elderly.
- they can provide ballots in a different language if necessary
- there is more accountability in accumulating and tallying the votes
- the chances that an individual is voting for you is lower

Since 90% of the country will be voting by mail for the first time
- there isn't a good way to verify eligible voters since all the ballots are blank
- instructions can be unclear and seeking help easily won't be available to many individuals
- are they going to provide ballots in every language? English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, etc? How do they know what language the household speaks?
- The accountability on ballot collection is entirely dependent on the USPS which has tons of issues with just normal mail collection and delivery
- There is a stronger chance that eligible voters of the household can have someone else vote in their stead
- but hey less chance of catching covid from doing it from home.

there's probably more pros/cons to both sides but imo for a fairer election the polling station is the best option considering 90% of the country doesn't have the proper systems in place to handle mass mail in voting. If it was brought in over time then things might be different and accepting but to have such a strong push right before an election is stupid
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2020-08-08 12:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk other states but here you are on a list and have a corresponding assigned ballot.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-08-08 13:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Idk other states but here you are on a list and have a corresponding assigned ballot.

#1 Where did they get those lists? Majority of the country never bothers to vote much less keep their address up to date.

#2 The bigger issue is how do we make sure the person filing out the form is the person it's assigned to? The current plan is to blast out blank ballots and hope for the best. That's not good enough by any measure.

Eventually I think there can be a system put in place that protects the validity of the vote while granting the voter more options then showing up to a specific place on a specific day. Such a thing will not be in place before the November election, possibly by 2022/2024 though.

Now for whats really going on is that the Democrats are trying to build an insurance policy for this November. Their current candidate is even less likable then Hillary Clinton. The *only* thing Biden has going for him is "I'm not Trump", which is enough for the liberal base who would vote Potato over anyone with an (R) by their name. Unfortunately that's not enough for the middle ground / swing voters and while Trump is an egotistical ***, he's an egotistical *** average people can relate to.

I mean Jesus the DNC rigged their primary for this guy?

Biden
"If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black."

Later also Biden
"Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly diverse attitudes about different things."

And we haven't even gotten to the point where Biden is put in the same room as Trump without his Democrat handlers to feed him lines. The Democrats can't keep Biden locked away until the Election, the dude looks and behaves exactly like McCain did during the 2008 elections. The one were McCain was little more then the a puppet for the GoP.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-08 13:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

This is the exact opposite. The reason people don't vote is the same reason they complain.

There is no real choice. It's douche or turdsandwich. Regardless who wins, I'm going to complain.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-08 13:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-08 14:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
I have always said "If you don't vote you can't ***."

I had a BF who totally agreed with that and neither voted nor bitched. It was a good relationship.

Viciouss said: »
Baseless conspiracy theories aside, we have come a long way since 18% turnout, but I doubt we ever get to a majority of eligible voters turning out.
It wasn't 18% turnout in my example, that's the percentage that voted for Regan. The turnout was somewhat over 30%.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-08 16:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you trying to "prevent?" Millions of "blue haired twenty-somethings" from voting? There is another, more accurate phrase to describe those people. How about "eligible voters." Why are you trying to prevent eligible voters from voting?
No. How about being honest for yourself and read what is written, instead of what you hope was written.

Like, you know, "blue haired twenty-somethings" voting on behalf of somebody else because they somehow, someway, received that other person's ballot, from illegal means, for illegal purposes.

And don't say that doesn't exist. Because it happens every election.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-08-08 17:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No. How about being honest for yourself and read what is written, instead of what you hope was written.

Like, you know, "blue haired twenty-somethings" voting on behalf of somebody else because they somehow, someway, received that other person's ballot, from illegal means, for illegal purposes.

And don't say that doesn't exist. Because it happens every election.

Which is why I'm 100% in support of absentee voting and 0% for mass mailed ballots.

I think a good compromise, that Democrats would absolutely not go for, is to add "Coronovirus" as a reason for someone to register for absentee / early voting. That way people who want to stay home can still vote by mail, and the nation is protected from Democrats trying to rig the election. This way they use existing absentee/ early ballot infrastructure and procedures without having to "try something new".
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-08-08 17:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »

It's that way in Illinois, I'm sure every state uses the same ID system. Voter #1234 is mailed ballot #1234, which is why we don't even concern ourselves with the conspiracies of people voting on behalf of others. But I'm sure they will continue from the same people.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 33 34 35