First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 20 21 22
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
See you went back to money, we're talking about items.

Pawnshop had this killer deal on rostams. Not gil. Prove they were bought with ill intent. You can't.
A pawnshop would also keep records of the sellers, so if they were proven to be counterfeit, the FBI knows who to bust.

The pawnshop had no idea that they were counterfeit, and if they did, they would be culpable as accomplices.

By your example, you are an accomplice to the crime. You should get the same punishment as the hacker. A person who buys a Rostam from the hacker for market price shouldn't be punished, because they never knew it was created illegally.

Edit: Nine Pages!!!!!
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-30 13:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The price is broken because of a hack. It's not supply and demand.

It's unlimited supply.

You can't say "fair price" because there is no fair price. 1g 10g 1m 100m they're all the same with infinite money.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The price is broken because of a hack. It's not supply and demand.

It's unlimited supply.
Yup, you do not know the economic concept of supply and demand.

This quote proves it.

Congrats, you are now the AOC of this forum. Way to go!
[+]
By mhomho 2020-04-30 13:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I wasn't trying to rob the bank
Then what were you doing; completing some sort of scavenger hunt, Mr. Wells?
By Meeble 2020-04-30 13:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
But you can resell the counterfeit items.

I could "buy" 10,000 "fake" rostams right now, legit. Then sell them. Should I not be punished for that?

And there's the HUGE problem I have in finding a legit working solution. Because you're right...if you have the capital you can be setting yourself up for some major long-term benefits in just the way you mention. But is there a way to prevent that action without punishing "the innocent"?

If we were talking about a game that had 15-20 years of life still ahead of it, not behind it, changing how crafting works code wise and then making all Su5 items obsolete with new weaponry,etc would be the best solution. It could be implemented the most naturally- face it, give us players new shinies and we want them no matter the reason they exist, as long as they DPS just that hair higher than the old thing.

The only "fix" (and boy I use that word loosely) that I see possible with a game this old is to shut down servers immediately without warning, implement the code changes required going forward, punish those who can be directly connected to the production of such items, and remove any non-RP'ed item in existence. Completely unfair, will have major backlash that will result in "innocent" players leaving the game, but I don't see any other option. The entire supply chain is tainted- the production of the shields, the production of the actual sellable items, the gil used to purchase said items.

A more humane method of handling things would be to make Su5 the NQ result of the synth and announce new difficult/rare synthesis craft items in a upcoming content patch, possibly via drops from Odyssey. We know they plan to add more content there anyway.

That would immediately tank the Su5 market and minimize the impact of profiteers while keeping the bulk of the playerbase happy via dirt-cheap weapons.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-30 13:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Supply and demand only exist if you can't magic limitless supply out of thin air.

Don't forget these su5 are still being crafted by millions of stored "bought" duped medals.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

mhomho said: »
I wasn't trying to rob the bank
Then what were you doing; completing some sort of scavenger hunt, Mr. Wells?
Wait, did you ignore the rest of the post and only focused on that one sentence?

Context, do you need it?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Supply and demand only exist if you can't magic limitless supply out of thin air.
Except you can't, even with this hack.

You still need the supplies to create the product. It's not like you are creating Rostams without using any mats at all. It still costs 14.5m to create, using today's prices.

Again, you have no understanding of economics. You keep proving it time after time again!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget these su5 are still being crafted by millions of stored "bought" duped medals.
Let me guess, you want to ban the people who are selling the mats to craft these illegal items too, since they were purchased by another illegally obtained item?

Ban everyone who has ever sold Dark Matter? Or Moldy gear? Because they were purchased with "tainted money"?
By spengler 2020-04-30 13:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

can't guarantee a rostam, not that it matters
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-30 13:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

No, don't ban people (that bought), just erase the fake medals, and all the items made with them. all the items made by banned crafters too just for good measure.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

spengler said: »
can't guarantee a rostam, not that it matters
Using hypotheticals btw.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No, don't ban people (that bought), just erase the fake medals, and all the items made with them.
Can you easily tell what is a fake and what is real, in this case?

They are all the same code. It's not like you can tell offhand where the items went. And in nearly all cases, those medals were used immediately after purchase.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-30 13:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's in the chatlogs.

If you bought 99 medals off the ah and made 99 rostams, whoever bought those 99 rostams, poof, those rostams are now gone. Tough ***.

Those 99 people quit, that's squares punishment for letting it happen. no more 12.95+ from 99 people.

Those 99 people can play a game worth playing instead, that's their reward.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-30 13:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not going to happen.

Let me ask you this: Should you lose half of your gear (actually, in your case, I believe it would be greater than 90% of it) because your previous purchases of mats used to make ***, along with farming, and purchases you made over the years, were not "legit" by your definition?

If so, then go ahead and drop 90% of your gear right now. Before you demand others to lose anything because you feel like you have to be an "economic social justice warrior" even though you have no idea what the concept of economics are.

If you don't play anymore, then why are you bothering us with this diatribe?
[+]
By Meeble 2020-04-30 13:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's in the chatlogs.

If you bought 99 medals off the ah and made 99 rostams, whoever bought those 99 rostams, poof, those rostams are now gone. Tough ***.

Those 99 people quit, that's squares punishment for letting it happen. no more 12.95+ from 99 people.

That would effectively kill crafting, as you're telling the playerbase that ANY purchase carries unacceptable levels of risk.

They aren't going to do that. If you want to minimize the impact of counterfeit medals and/or HQ gear, they need to make it LESS rare, not more.
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-04-30 13:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's in the chatlogs.

[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-30 14:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It wouldn't have killed anything, if they fixed the packet problem. The first time.

There has to be consequences.

But of course it's "not going to happen" square has all the power. There is no reason to fix anything.

"why do I care" because it's broken. and it cost me thousands of potential dollars!
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2020-04-30 14:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

How many times in the last 5 years has there been irreparable damage to the "economy"
Economy still seems fine with me.

Sure, the value of gil is lower than it has ever been, but the effort to produce products (aka the amount of time it takes to farm an item, or farm for gil to use that gil to convert to an item) stayed about the same.

You are overstating any economic harm these exploits have. More harm has been made towards people who craft legitimately than to the overall economy.
Best statement made right here. It's nuts how people overreact about these exploits it hasn't messed with economy that much if at all. Hell normal people *** with AH prices because they just buy gil and throw whatever money they want at stuff. Bahamut had a guy drop 700k on plutons got 12 stacks from AH for that price when the going price was 500k for a month or more straight. Blaming just exploiters for why economy if *** in this game is just lazy and kinda dumb. King hit it on the head this doesn't really do anything to the economy like you say Eiryl. Also before I get called it no im not a crafter I've disliked the crafting system in this game since 2004 so.
By mhomho 2020-04-30 14:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, did you ignore the rest of the post and only focused on that one sentence?

Sometimes I do for a laugh. Here no.

Context, do you need it?

Oh I understand the context of the scenario well enough to make a reference that describes your argument if you understood.

Brian Douglas Wells, the Pizza Bomber. Was he complicit in the attempted armed robbery of a bank, or was he just some dumb patsy that ended up being collateral damage. You alluded to a bank robbery, so I followed suit. I gave you a more specific bank robbery. There's a Netflix documentary about it, pretty good.

Your take away is effectively: he's in on it.
Eiryl's: he's innocent, it was murder.

The argument is effectively, should people that purchased goods that were manufactured illicitly be considered accomplices, should they too be punished? The pizza bomber reference was in line with if they banned those that purchased the items in tandem with those that actually used the exploit to make said items. Did Brian Douglas Wells deserve some sort of karmic retribution for being in on the robbery, or was he just an innocent bystander?

You're all like:
>>but people should know the fair market value of these items based upon researching the cost of items compared to the synthesis rate. they should know something is up and that there are way too many.
This assumes they're intelligent enough to do that research. (They aren't.) It assumes the value of the components against the risk of loss during the synthesis.
Eiryl's all like:
>>the free market value can't be established as hyper inflation has been allowed to run rampant thereby destroying the value of currency.
This means that the entire economy is a shell. You think it's just SU5 weapons and necks? Everything. Everything that can be crafted this glitch applies to. Everything. That means the value of all the items that aren't farmed manually has been compounded as risk has been removed. The prices of the components aren't real.

Supply and Demand economics works when currency has value. Just like people invest in goods like gold or silver, you can invest in money too. Goods can't effectively be traded, bought or sold without a currency that holds value.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-30 14:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
You really don't think unlimited HQ everything 100% of the time had any effect on the economy. ok. sure.

"less than sparks" is not an argument. They're BOTH bad.
By Foxfire 2020-04-30 14:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm over this thread but I read this and had a laugh
Congrats, you are now the AOC of this forum. Way to go!
This is the dumbest ***I've read all day lmfao
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-04-30 14:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is nothing can be separated from another.

If even just half (a very conservative estimate) of shields were RMT related, that means the gil generated from sales of those Su5 weapons and +2 necks is then being sold to players, which then is then being used to buy the exact same Su5 weaponry. Or, add a step in the middle that gil is generated via "dirty" shields, then sold via real-world currency to gilbuyers, who then use that gil to buy merc services from non gilbuying players, who then use that dirty gil to buy those Su5 weapons which weren't made clean in the first place. Its inescapable.
By Drayco 2020-04-30 14:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to unsub and take a break... My last straw was dumping everything I had (600m gained from selling my KC I've had since 2007ish) into torque materials and coming out with a 350m loss. Sucks for sure, but that's the nature of crafting.

Then I read the first page of this thread and realize why +2 prices are so low and why I'm constantly being undercut. Had prices been what they were just 2 months ago, I probably would have broke even or close to it.

Vanilla crafting is a joke now. HQ prices are so low it's not worth even attempting anything. As far as I'm concerned, every HQ out there now is exploited.
By Drayco 2020-04-30 14:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is nothing can be separated from another.

If even just half (a very conservative estimate) of shields were RMT related, that means the gil generated from sales of those Su5 weapons and +2 necks is then being sold to players, which then is then being used to buy the exact same Su5 weaponry. Or, add a step in the middle that gil is generated via "dirty" shields, then sold via real-world currency to gilbuyers, who then use that gil to buy merc services from non gilbuying players, who then use that dirty gil to buy those Su5 weapons which weren't made clean in the first place. Its inescapable.
It's like that South Park episode about Cash-for-Gold. lol
By mhomho 2020-04-30 14:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Its inescapable
DingDingDing
We have a Bingo!

It's almost as if the gil is one big bubble waiting to burst as a result of more gil constantly being added to the system (the printing press that is Sparks) while it's not being effectively removed via loss (exploits to bypass synthesis breaks).
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-04-30 14:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

mhomho said: »
Its inescapable
DingDingDing
We have a Bingo!

It's almost as if the gil is one big bubble waiting to burst as a result of more gil constantly being added to the system (the printing press that is Sparks) while it's not being effectively removed via loss (exploits to bypass synthesis breaks).

Got an even more twisted end result- gilselling combined with the that Sparks printing press not only is increasing that bubble, its consolidating that gil in fewer and fewer hands, meaning that buying power is actually reduced even with more in the system. This results in fewer people have influence on the economic system rather than the actual market determining things.
By mhomho 2020-04-30 14:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome to Oligarchy!
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2020-04-30 14:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
You really don't think unlimited HQ everything 100% of the time had any effect on the economy. ok. sure.

"less than sparks" is not an argument. They're BOTH bad.
***if anything I hope they print tons of them and kill the price down even more tbh. This hurts noone but crafters in the long run anymore. Most of the crafters depending on server control the price of ***anyway. If they see too many of an item they just force a price drop and rise. What im confused about is how crafters who set the prices of necks and su5 weapons from the jump at 200mil are confused why prices are dropping or why people would exploit to keep max profit with little loss.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-30 14:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean yeah, it's great for everyone, except the people getting screwed. Screw those guys, right?

Remove crafting and make everything crafted free, everyone wins!
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 20 21 22