Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online

You must be logged in to do that.

Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 129 130 131
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 19:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Waste makes just as many people dead. Taking (good) masks from people that actually need them.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 19:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Waste makes just as many people dead. Taking masks from people that actually need them.
Your argument about waste is dumb. We all agreed that some people are already wearing masks. The waste will happen either way. My argument is that people should be taught how to use them. Your argument means the waste happens either way, but just provides no benefits.
And I've said so many times, cotton homemade masks work. No waste. No taking away from people who need them. You have no arguments. Just a need to be right.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 19:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to fold up a T-Shirt and use that, go bananas. It makes no waste, it's 70% effective (layering up to 80%~) anyone with internet can do it.
(*) This does not negate your responsibility to maintain social distancing. Do not reuse the same shirt-mask without washing it. You've been educated.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 19:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said it negates responsibility to maintain social distancing. I agreed with kireek's comment saying that if the government can stop the economy, then they can force the media to teach people safe mask usage. Then you went off saying "people too stoopid."
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 19:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the surgeon general "educating" people how to make and wear a mask right there. That's it. There have been how to make mask tutorials on the internet since the internet existed.

How *** stupid do you have to be to not know how to put on a face mask. ***. seriously.
Even a dog can do it, I don't think you can teach that.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 19:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Regular people have been doing tutorials. Not the media. And only people who are interested in that will even see the information. We need TV ads.

CDC was saying masks are unsafe. Media was parroting that. And the surgeon general thing is ridiculous. Literally works against people using masks. And he didn't cover proper removal. But I'm done. Have fun being ignorant.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 19:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If a "regular person" made a tutorial they must've learned it from somewhere right? Everyone else can go there too!

Oh it's common sense? They didn't need a tutorial to make a tutorial? Then why do they need to tell other "regular people"?

Because they're stupid.

The definitive strategy for how to put on a face mask, ready? Pay VERY close attention, there will be a test.

That's it. Congrats! I better not see anyone sharing my tutorial without credit, I put a lot of work into that.
By Afania 2020-04-13 19:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Regular people have been doing tutorials. Not the media. And only people who are interested in that will even see the information. We need TV ads.

CDC was saying masks are unsafe. Media was parroting that. And the surgeon general thing is ridiculous. Literally works against people using masks. And he didn't cover proper removal. But I'm done. Have fun being ignorant.

I can never understand why people try so hard to deny a method thats proven to work in some other countries.

I guess some people prefer a lockdown instead. Wear a mask to slow down the spread or stay at home 24/7 to slow down the spread, pick one.

Personally, I'd choose to wear a mask and end the lockdown. It's better for economy too. Mask for ALL!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 20:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If a "regular person" made a tutorial they must've learned it from somewhere right? Everyone else can go there too!

Oh it's common sense? They didn't need a tutorial to make a tutorial? Then why do they need to tell other "regular people"?

Because they're stupid.

The definitive strategy for how to put on a face mask, ready? Pay VERY close attention, there will be a test.

Put on the mask.

One step, that's it. Congrats!
Just end it. You argue in circles.

First, people are too stupid to wear masks properly and it's better to kill them. Then wearing masks is so easy anyone can do it. Then masks not effective. Then masks cause too much waste. Then training is available because of the surgeon general's video. Then back to masks too easy even a dog can wear it.

Thanks for helping me kill a few hours. I'm good now.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 20:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If you cant wear a piece of cloth without someone verifying it, yeah, you should probably go ahead and die. More burden than value.

I know that's impolite, but it's true. Not wishing people die, just wouldn't save you if you were drowning.

The issue with it is you don't just die, you spread it to other people.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 20:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If you cant wear a piece of cloth without someone verifying it, yeah, you should probably go ahead and die.

I know that's impolite, but it's true. Not wishing people die, just wouldn't save you if you were drowning.

The issue with it is you don't just die, you spread it to other people.
ok
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 20:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 20:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

When you have to attack your opponent because you can no longer defend your opinion, you lost.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-13 21:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

When you have to attack your opponent because you can no longer defend your opinion, you lost.
Why do you think I don't even bother with him anymore.
[+]
By Afania 2020-04-13 21:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Afania said: »
Personally, I'd choose to wear a mask and end the lockdown. It's better for economy too. Mask for ALL!

Good luck maintaining social distancing in urban areas if you end the lockdown.

It's totally possible to end the lockdown and maintain slow spread speed IF people wears face masks.

Hong Kong population density: 6,791/km²
South Korea: 512/km²
Taiwan: 658/km²
US:35/km²
Canada:4/km²

Total cases per 1M population as of today:
HK:135
SK:206
TW:17
US:1773
Canada:680

If population density matters, Hong Kong would have exploded with cases. They never close the border to China and has population density 1000+ times more than Canada. "Rural area" doesn't quite exist there. They also didn't start real social distancing until mid March if I remember correctly.

What'd they do? They wear face masks like crazy.

http://www.time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/

So yup, it's entirely possible to live a normal life if 98% wears them like it's part of their life.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 21:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see where you got an attack from unless you're one of the ones too dumb to know how to put on a mask.

In which case, well it was then.

So yup, it's entirely possible to live a normal life if 98% wears them like it's part of their life.

Wearing masks has been a thing "there" for a long *** time. They're accustomed to it. We're not.

Do you see doctors adjusting their masks non-stop? no. because they've been doing it for twenty years.

You can't think "people" that haven't been doing it their whole life can go back to "normal" and not *** it up.
By Afania 2020-04-13 21:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Wearing masks has been a thing "there" for a long *** time. They're accustomed to it. We're not.

Do you see doctors adjusting their masks non-stop? no. because they've been doing it for twenty years.

You can't think "people" that haven't been doing it their whole life can go back to "normal" and not *** it up.

That is true. Since air pollution was so bad in that region so face masks were commonly used to filter out pollutions. I went to Shanghai once and their sky wasn't even blue.

That being said, I think it's time for a lifestyle change if this virus isn't going away for another year. It's not tough learn and adapt after a few months if governments start promoting it.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 21:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

"Months from now" we'll have more recoveries than infected and it won't matter anymore.

We're not going to adjust to life time mask use for funsies. And beards too. East vs West mask use is already DoA when we bring up facial hair.

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2020-04-13 21:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck maintaining social distancing in urban areas if you end the lockdown.

It's totally possible to end the lockdown and maintain slow spread speed IF people wears face masks.

Hong Kong population density: 6,791/km²
South Korea: 512/km²
Taiwan: 658/km²
US:35/km²
Canada:4/km²

Total cases per 1M population as of today:
HK:135
SK:206
TW:17
US:1773
Canada:680

If population density matters, Hong Kong would have exploded with cases. They never close the border to China and has population density 1000+ times more than Canada. "Rural area" doesn't quite exist there. They also didn't start real social distancing until mid March if I remember correctly.

What'd they do? They wear face masks like crazy.

http://www.time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/

Hong Kong, I wouldn't truzt their numbers but they did way more measures than "wear masks". Gatherings of more than 4 people are banned and there's no travel.

South Korea were very very fast to do a large scale testing of their population we are talking about hundreds of thousands in the time the US couldn't do 10k. They also applied social distancing measures early.

Taiwan is all of the above on top of government big data on everyone.

It's all about being ready to take action, masks are not a significant reason.

Where the spreads got bad is because their governments failed them. They didn't take it seriously and were more concerned about "the economy" than people's lives.

Pretty sure HK didn't ban gatherings until late March. Their government didn't do a thing way back in Jan/Feb.

http://www.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21E1MW

This news came out on March 27. They already survived virus attack from China for 2 months before they ban gatherings of 4.

So I doubt it's social distancing that saved them.

HK also didn't ban their citizens from travelling AFAIK.

Did SK really apply social distancing early? This video was shot when outbreak happened back in Feb. I see 0 social distancing in the video.

https://youtu.be/Q7-KN-52GxU

I was in Asia in Jan/Feb and I can tell you that "social distancing" as a concept didn't even exist in Jan/Feb, not even in Asia. Governments were promoting surgical masks for everyone to slow down the spread because experts in Asia said it's effective.

Social distancing only became a thing when NA start getting more cases in mid March. Since NA has no face mask culture like Asia the only viable alternative is social distancing. So NA pushed social distancing really hard in mid/late March.

THEN Asian countries/regions learned from NA and promote social distancing too.

That's why HK applied social distancing so late. Because this concept didn't even exist 2 months ago. It's not social distancing that saved them, it's face masks.

I'm not saying social distancing isn't effective though. I'm only saying people has been downplaying the importance of face masks. And I wouldn't trust anything WHO said at this point. So "WHO said so" doesn't make their point more valid.

Edit: I also forgot to mention, it's near impossible to practice social distancing in Asia the way Canadians are doing it now anyways. There just aren't enough space because of the population density. Probably another reason why Asian countries had to rely on face masks to slow down the spread.

Edit2: TW certainly didn't ban public gatherings. There aren't enough cases in TW to justify it.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 23:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

There's new information that this disease damages your T-Cells, similar to AIDS. If getting exposed just gave flu-like symptoms, it wouldn't be so bad. But aerosol AIDS? Yeah, I'm wearing a gas mask and social distancing forever.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2020-04-14 00:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

There's new information that this disease damages your T-Cells, similar to AIDS. If getting exposed just gave flu-like symptoms, it wouldn't be so bad. But aerosol AIDS? Yeah, I'm wearing a gas mask and social distancing forever.
It isn't the Coronavirus that is doing that to T-Cells. T-Cells being overworked to the extent they destroy themselves and subsequently a person's body is a classic, and often fatal outcome of a Cytokine Storm. A Cytokine Storm is what happens when the body's immune system goes haywire fighting off a new infection, in this case the Coronavirus. The virus cells are wiped out by the immune system but it keeps going, attacking healthy and necessary cells; eventually causing systemic organ failure and death.

The cruel irony of human biology is that a Cytokine Storm is more prone to happening if a person's immune system is too strong. This is why the Coronavirus seems to be killing perfectly healthy and young people.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7132550/

Quote:
This suggests that as disease severity progresses in patients with COVID-19, a concomitant rise in inflammatory cytokine levels may drive the depletion and exhaustion of T cell populations.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-14 07:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
It isn't the Coronavirus that is doing that to T-Cells. T-Cells being overworked to the extent they destroy themselves and subsequently a person's body is a classic, and often fatal outcome of a Cytokine Storm. A Cytokine Storm is what happens when the body's immune system goes haywire fighting off a new infection, in this case the Coronavirus. The virus cells are wiped out by the immune system but it keeps going, attacking healthy and necessary cells; eventually causing systemic organ failure and death.

The cruel irony of human biology is that a Cytokine Storm is more prone to happening if a person's immune system is too strong. This is why the Coronavirus seems to be killing perfectly healthy and young people.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7132550/

Quote:
This suggests that as disease severity progresses in patients with COVID-19, a concomitant rise in inflammatory cytokine levels may drive the depletion and exhaustion of T cell populations.
I really hope you're right because airborne AIDS is terrifying.
I was also reading that upon reinfection, you run the risk of experiencing a Cytokine Storm if you have antibodies but you contracted the disease a while ago and their number starts reducing.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-04-14 08:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Virginia pastor who defiantly held church service dies of coronavirus
NY Post

Quote:
“I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus. You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church.

Happily announcing he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

“I am essential,” he said of remaining open, adding, “I’m a preacher — I talk to God!” ...
[+]
By Shizoo 2020-04-14 09:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Can still leave the house to work, take a walk, move your horse, buy food. Restaurants are only to go. Schools still closed.
Alot of Companys in my area struggle to stay alive due to being non essential or short of work or well ppl being quarantined.

Schools will probably open again in a few weeks. Wonder if that will turn out well...

"Happy" i got hurt in a car crash and will still get my full salary for 2 more months while my work mates are already down to 60% of their salary...

Pretty much sums it up for germany right now.

Finding toilet paper in the stores is like getting a Dring back then.

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-04-14 09:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shizoo said: »
"Happy" i got hurt in a car crash and will still get my full salary for 2 more months while my work mates are already down to 60% of their salary...

It's pretty wild that a car crash turned out to be beneficial in any way. Hope you're okay.

I really hope you're right because airborne AIDS is terrifying.
I was also reading that upon reinfection, you run the risk of experiencing a Cytokine Storm if you have antibodies but you contracted the disease a while ago and their number starts reducing.

Yeah, everyone who keeps saying this is just a flu is out of their damn minds. There's good reasons the experts are terrified of this.

Around here, things are obviously not normal, but store shelves have mostly returned to reasonable levels, even toilet paper. There's per-trip limits on things like milk and bread, but it's a high enough limit that it wouldn't stop anyone shopping normally. Absolutely everyone has masks and gloves on, which is good.

A number of the local restaurants have effectively shifted to the new reality, but I'm worried about the ones that can't. Even the ones that can, not all of them will survive this. The world six to eight months from now is probably going to look "normal" in a lot of ways, but I think there's a lot of things that never quite go back to how they were.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-14 09:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
Yeah, everyone who keeps saying this is just a flu is out of their damn minds. There's good reasons the experts are terrified of this.
I don't think people are saying this is just a flu, but most of us are just comparing it to the flu.

I doubt anyone here thinks this isn't serious, obviously.

Around here, things are obviously not normal, but store shelves have mostly returned to reasonable levels, even toilet paper. There's per-trip limits on things like milk and bread, but it's a high enough limit that it wouldn't stop anyone shopping normally. Absolutely everyone has masks and gloves on, which is good.
Only real thing in my town/city (depends on your definition, but whatevs) that we are in short supply is eggs. Toilet paper is hit/miss, but it doesn't affect me because I buy bulk toilet paper once every 6 months (and my last shipment was in February, so dodged a bullet). But there's almost always a line for eggs, and they limit it to 1 36-pack or 2 >18 packs (aka 2 dozens or 2 dozen-and-a-halves per visit).

My store doesn't even have a line to get in anymore. But then again, I usually go there right when they open and nobody is awake then...

A number of the local restaurants have effectively shifted to the new reality, but I'm worried about the ones that can't. Even the ones that can, not all of them will survive this. The world six to eight months from now is probably going to look "normal" in a lot of ways, but I think there's a lot of things that never quite go back to how they were.
Ehh, we don't have that issue here. Restaurants who are open in our area generally have take-out anyway, and they started doing their own delivery service (they use Grubhub and DoorDash, but they actually have their waitstaff deliver also). I don't think any of my area's restaurants are going out of business because, as a general rule, everyone here is too lazy to cook for themselves (or there's no eggs to cook with, so why bother?).
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 129 130 131