Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 67 68 69 ... 129 130 131
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 15:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
For reference, I mean here. We're not a polite (or intelligent) society

To expand;

Pros of "a mask" Not n95, just ANY mask
Impedes your ability to spread your covid if you have it.
Lowers risk by a non zero % (depends on material, listed above)

Cons
Pollution/Waste/litter
Hoarding
Gouging
Waste again, but not garbage waste, actual usage when not needed
Failure to disinfect/Reuse - WILL cause you to get other infections
Improper wear - False sense of security
More likely to touch your face due to having something on it (adjusting mask etc)
Your Cons can all be fixed by people just buying homemade cotton masks and being taught how to use them.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 15:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It'd be great if it were that simple.

How do you punish people who disobey/can't be bothered to follow instructions?

No punishment = No adherence

Fines don't work. Simply getting sick doesn't work. I propose death.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 15:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It'd be great if it were that simple.

How do you punish people who disobey/can't be bothered to follow instructions?

No punishment = No adherence

Fines don't work. Simply getting sick doesn't work. I propose death.
Wow, so you skip educating people and go right to killing them. Then you call me stupid...
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 15:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's start wiping them out now, to save future problems.

If we start enforcing a punishment (death) then I'm 100% on board with "education".
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 16:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
Flabby cop in Italy tries to arrest a man for running alone on the beach, fails...
The UK is a dystopian nightmare. Cops posted on twitter that if you think you can have a picnic alone in a field in a rural area, think again as they will find you. I thought we just had to be careful to not spread the disease. Since when did Xi take over?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 16:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cops here are giving out $1000 fines if they find you outside too. it's not just the UK

If you leave your home for absolutely anything other than work or food or you fail to meet a random pigs opinion of what is "essential" congrats on your $1000 fine.

They were standing outside Home Depot giving everyone who left (regardless what they bought) Maximum fine tickets. Begs the question, why is home depot open if no one is allowed to go there. Pipes aren't allowed to clog or burst during a pandemic apparently. (and no I'm not talking about the facebook post from last week, I mean they were there doing it on friday when I drove by)

Apparently not allowed to go boating either. Even though you can't possibly be more socially distant than that lul.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-13 16:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
I haven't seen where they have been given powers to do this.
For you, by Royal Decree.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-13 17:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Dude, are you for real or you actually line up for hours at a grocery store? I wouldn't and I go out every day to work. I wouldn't want to stay any where I have to cramp or line up for ours.

If you do, and you die then I can haz your loot?

Does your mom do your shopping for you? yeah shopping queue times are about 30-40 mins to get in. I did it once this week already.

To answer, no. I have enough food for the month. But yours must be dead with all this covid19 you bring around.

If you spend that much time lining up then you should find another store. Cut down your food consumption and use less toilet paper.

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2020-04-13 17:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

People don't wear the masks when they are sick, they wear them to not get sick.

Here you go.

That's why mask for all, sick, no sick, just ALL wear them, problem solved.

"Mask is for sicked only" will never work on COVID 19 because

1) asymptomatic patients exist. There's no way one would know if they are sick.

2) Those who are sick will worry about the social pressure and avoid wearing them. This kind of social pressure won't exist if everybody wears them. If nobody wears a mask it feels weird to wear one, if everybody wears them then it feels safe to wear it.

For reference, I mean here. We're not a polite (or intelligent) society

To expand;

Pros of "a mask" Not n95, just ANY "face covering"
Impedes your ability to spread your covid if you have it.
Lowers risk by a non zero % (depends on material, listed above)

Cons
Pollution/Waste/litter
Hoarding
Gouging
More likely to touch your face due to having something on it (adjusting mask etc)

Pollution is the only legit concern from the list above, everything else aren't.

Hoarding/Gouging shouldn't be a concern if mask rationing system exists in NA.

Overuse: If there's a limited amount of supplies available, then it's not a concern. People will automatically choose to use their precious supplies when they absolutely need to get close to the others.

Touch face: I actually touch my face LESS with a mask on because I'm constantly reminded that I'm in "COVID 19 defense mode" with a mask on. Idk what kind of people would keep touching their face even when they know they shouldn't.

Improper wear: already addressed it

It isn't valid to make an argument about a system that's proven to work in Asia by saying "people are idiots". If it works elsewhere then it should work in NA.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 18:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

3 crucial mistakes to avoid if you're wearing a face mask to stop the coronavirus

Mistake #1: Not washing your hands before putting on your mask and after taking it off
Mistake #2: Not covering both your nose and mouth with the mask
Mistake #3: Constantly touching your mask to readjust it or touching the front when you're taking it off

Quote:
I was at Zurich airport towards the end of February and for the first time noticed a number of non-Asian people wearing masks. Virtually all these mask-wearers were fiddling with them or pulling them down to eat food.
By Prong 2020-04-13 18:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The part about all of this I don't quite understand is, it's a virus. Mankind has not found a "cure" for any virus to date. Unlike penicillin for bacterial infections, etc.

It's also airborne. You cannot avoid it by simply washing your hands or not touching things others have touched.

So, once this official "pandemic" period is over, then what? Do they honestly think the virus is like a demon that is eradicated once it cannot find a human host (anyone seen Fallen?)? It's still going to be out there, once people resume regularly scheduled lives, it's still going to infect those that did not get it previously, their body built no immunity to it...it's still going to basically keep killing those who have no natural ability built up to fight it. Just like any other virus.

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2020-04-13 18:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

3 crucial mistakes to avoid if you're wearing a face mask to stop the coronavirus

Mistake #1: Not washing your hands before putting on your mask and after taking it off
Mistake #2: Not covering both your nose and mouth with the mask
Mistake #3: Constantly touching your mask to readjust it or touching the front when you're taking it off

Quote:
I was at Zurich airport towards the end of February and for the first time noticed a number of non-Asian people wearing masks. Virtually all these mask-wearers were fiddling with them or pulling them down to eat food.

The reason is simple. There aren't enough correct information HERE on the internet because of NA government's anti mask policy.

Most Asian immigrants in NA has access to information from their home countries. My Asian friends have been spamming "how to use a face mask" tutorials on Facebook for months. Unfortunately these aren't available in English so there's tons of people wearing mask like this:

When people wear masks like this, I wouldn't expect them to know how to remove/adjust masks properly too. And I blame the lack of information and tutorials available in the English speaking community.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 18:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright I already know what the response is going to be to this statement.

How *** stupid do you have to be to not know how to put on a face mask. ***. seriously.

How *** stupid do you have to be to know that if you screw with the mask while it's on your face it becomes less effective.

These people cannot be educated.
[+]
By Prong 2020-04-13 18:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Viruses aren't alive biologically, or something. I don't get it, but this is the reason why. You can't kill it, but you can inactive cells or something.

Hmm, maybe. I wonder why then the same strains of flu seem to pop up every "flu season?" Who knows.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 18:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »
Viruses aren't alive biologically, or something. I don't get it, but this is the reason why. You can't kill it, but you can inactive cells or something.

Hmm, maybe. I wonder why then the same strains of flu seem to pop up every "flu season?" Who knows.

Because while a Virus is "not alive" it still mutates. Flu changes enough every year to reinfect people.

This video isn't too bad, jump to 3 minutes in (5 minute video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cytFyVkkA
tl:dw "the flu" mutates literally in minutes. The flu you catch isn't even the same flu when your body finally kills it off.
[+]
By Prong 2020-04-13 18:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »

Because while a Virus is "not alive" it still mutates. Flu changes enough every year to reinfect people.

So then back to my original thought....just wondering how slamming society into a screeching halt is going to stop this particular virus from infecting/killing hundreds of thousands more down the road, soon as the powers that be decide we get to resume living.

Again, not against people taking every precaution necessary "just in case" it lowers your chances of getting/spreading it, it just is hard to believe that loose fitting masks, worn properly or not, are suppose to stop an airborne virus from getting to you. It's like trying to stop water from flowing with a fork.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 18:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Short answer: it's not.

The social isolation is ONLY to slow contagion to keep the burden low. If everyone went about like normal you'd have (more) people literally dying in the streets because there is no where to put them.

Begs the question where we go from here. Everyone on earth is going to have to get it, or stay in isolation until the vaccine gets made.

Nothing says it can't mutate enough to hit us again every year. Or 6 months.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 18:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright I already know what the response is going to be to this statement.

How *** stupid do you have to be to not know how to put on a face mask. ***. seriously.

How *** stupid do you have to be to know that if you screw with the mask while it's on your face it becomes less effective.

These people cannot be educated.
He's wearing his mask that way because he has glasses. So he's exhaling out of his nose to avoid being blinded. If he was taught what mask would be better for him, he'd be wearing it correctly. But you think all people are only "smart" or "stupid" and any time you fail to understand why something is happening, you assume you fall under smart and the other falls under stupid. But you have no understanding of nuance and you are unable to examine a situation to find out why something is happening and how to remedy it.

Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 18:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey glasses suck. You know what sucks more? Dying.

I had special glass inserts for my gasmask and they broke on the first day. That blew, but guess what, I still had to wear the *** gas mask. properly.
(16 years ago, I'm not wearing my gas mask now, to be clear) I also wear contacts now because again, glasses suck.

And before you ask, no I didn't need to be trained to wear a gas mask. It's common sense. The only part I would expect you not to know is clearing. Which is not a thing for a mask.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 18:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

but he could be educated on a better mask to wear.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 19:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no mask that will not suck to wear with glasses. The best thing you can do is move them further from your face to reduce fog. Or take the glasses off... blindness permitting while doing things that don't entirely require perfect vision. (walking outside)

You can get a full body suit, or a "fishtank" that basically encases your whole head. But it's expensive and you run into issues of bacteria and proper disinfecting and ability to obtain cartridges.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 19:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no mask that will not suck to wear with glasses. The best thing you can do is move them further from your face to reduce fog. Or take the glasses off... blindness permitting while doing things that don't entirely require perfect vision. (walking outside)

You can get a full body suit, or a "fishtank" that basically encases your whole head. But it's expensive and you run into issues of bacteria and proper disinfecting and ability to obtain cartridges.
Wrong. I have a few masks that work just fine with my glasses.
In fact, even a cotton mask is fine with glasses if you wear it tightly and exhale slowly from your mouth. My eyesight is too bad for me to go without glasses and I can't wear contacts. But I did my research, tried a few masks, and I can go out in a mask just fine. I even drive with one on and only take it off once I get back home.

Basically, my argument is to teach people how and why to wear masks. I never even said that the government should impose masks for all, even though I'd appreciate if everyone wore masks.
Your argument is people are too stupid to be taught, so the government shouldn't teach people. Why would you argue that information should be withheld?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 19:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have to change your breathing to suit the mask it's still "sucky".

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Why would you argue that information should be withheld?
Quote:
Cons
Pollution/Waste/litter
Hoarding
Gouging
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-13 19:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news, another ironic death.

Virginia pastor who defiantly held church service dies of coronavirus

Quote:
“I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus. You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church.

Happily announcing he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

God! Will not save you from Covid-19. You save you.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-13 19:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have to change your breathing to suit the mask it's still "sucky".

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Why would you argue that information should be withheld?
Quote:
Cons
Pollution/Waste/litter
Hoarding
Gouging
I'd rather some waste than dead people.
First Page 2 3 ... 67 68 69 ... 129 130 131