Random Politics & Religion #19

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #19
Random Politics & Religion #19
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 82 83 84

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 11:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Yeah, that comic's missing the point. Nobody's against a better environment, we're against getting taxed into oblivion.
A comic made a silly strawman argument for entertainment purposes?
And you're defending your position anyway?

I get your point, but nobody posts things like that in here that don't at least partially represent their position. Humorous comics aren't a "get out of rebuttal free card".
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2017-02-11 12:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thoughts on a Strange Day—and a Very Strange Presidential Tweet

Quote:
The reference was to my short article from last night about the 9th Circuit's denial of a stay of the district court's freezing of Trump's noxious executive order on visas and refugees. No, I had not said or implied that the decision was disgraceful (with or without an exclamation point). And while I had indeed noted the omission in the ruling that Trump was trumpeting and criticized some of the virtue signaling in the opinion, I had noted some other things as well. For example, I had written that "The Ninth Circuit is correct to leave the TRO in place, in my view." I had argued that the key question in the case was whether "the repeated and overt invocations of the most invidious motivations on the part of the President himself, his campaign, his adviser, and his Twitter feed will render an otherwise valid exercise of this power invalid." And I had concluded the post by describing "the incompetent malevolence with which this order was promulgated."

You read that correctly: The President of the United States was tweeting approvingly an article describing his motivations as "invidious" and describing his actions using the phrase "incompetent malevolence."

This is not how the White House is supposed to work. Whole aparatuses are supposed to be there to protect the President from sending out unvetted executive orders, tweeting attacks on federal judges that hurt the government's chances of prevailing in court, and yes, even from tweeting articles he hasn't read and that don't say what he thinks they say.

Think about it this way: If the Trump White House is so incompetent that it is citing my work by accident, how on earth can we trust it to handle North Korea?

Sad!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 12:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump should realize by now that he's the only person we're allowed to cherry-pick statements from.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2017-02-11 13:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump should realize by now that he's the only person we're allowed to cherry-pick statements from.
Yes, how dare we hold the POTUS to the same standards as people who post on this website....

Review ***before it is posted online or written in an EO.

We (us here and those who post on the Internet in general) happily make fun of people who do similar stuff on a regular basis.

As President he is held to a higher standard, not lower than something I would call out on any other poster here.

Trump should realize by now that he is POTUS, he should stop acting like an amateur, and get his white house in order.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 13:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, I meant the more general we, as in everybody. He's been cherry-picked from the beginning, and maliciously at that. In this particular tweet all he did was quote something that promoted his point, which was that the courts weren't even challenging his right to make the decision per the statue, they just didn't like what he did. The 9th Circuit is a joke, though, so there really isn't any surprise there.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 13:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

But how is this tweet in particular that bad? So he borrowed a quote from an article. Who the frick cares?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 13:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

But how is this tweet in particular that bad? So he borrowed a quote from an article. Who the frick cares?
if the leader of your country handles his problems like a child, it becomes everyone's problem.

I'm talking about THIS TWEET IN PARTICULAR. I just said that.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2017-02-11 13:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that Trump didn't read the article isn't surprising at all, with his thin skin there is no way he would have tweeted anything from that blog had he actually read it. Why would he bring attention to a blog that supported the ruling against him? All he accomplished was taking a quote out of context and making himself look even worse. I'm sure Lawfare appreciates the additional hits.

There doesn't appear to be a limit to his stupidity.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 13:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

if the leader of your country handles his problems like a child, it becomes everyone's problem.

I'm talking about THIS TWEET IN PARTICULAR. I just said that.
And twice now I've conveyed that I wasn't; I am talking about his consistent behavior.

Generally quote replies are directed towards the topic in question, not changing the subject when you don't have a rebuttal, but alright.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-02-11 13:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiah is just jealous.

canada sucks!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 13:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
The fact that Trump didn't read the article isn't surprising at all, with his thin skin there is no way he would have tweeted anything from that blog had he actually read it. Why would he bring attention to a blog that supported the ruling against him? All he accomplished was taking a quote out of context and making himself look even worse. I'm sure Lawfare appreciates the additional hits.

I do understand all the talk of Trump having a thin-skin. It just seems awfully odd to think it's only Trump. People are freaking out about every little thing he does, blowing up the top news over insignificant crap, and taking to the streets in aggressive and even violent protests simply because they don't like the guy... and Trump's supposedly the worst example of thin skin? Nah, I don't buy it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2017-02-11 13:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The article doesn't support his position and called his own actions incompetent?

It demonstrates a lack of critical thinking and basic reading comprehension on his part.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-11 13:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen incredibly easy to trigger Trump supporters. So this thing that only one side does it should just be dropped.
By Viciouss 2017-02-11 13:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I do understand all the talk of Trump having a thin-skin. It just seems awfully odd to think it's only Trump. People are freaking out about every little thing he does, blowing up the top news over insignificant crap, and taking to the streets in aggressive and even violent protests simply because they don't like the guy... and Trump's supposedly the worst example of thin skin? Nah, I don't buy it.

Don't you expect more from the office of the President? Random people freaking out on both sides is nothing new. If anyone is going to rise above, shouldn't it be the President? If he shows no inclination to do so, why would anyone else? Are people not just following the example he sets?

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 14:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
The article doesn't support his position and called his own actions incompetent?

It demonstrates a lack of critical thinking and basic reading comprehension on his part.

I'm almost entirely certain he didn't read the article, so reading comprehension is probably not the issue. The fact remains that the judges didn't even challenge the statute, which speaks volumes about what the basis of their decision in the first place. Which, btw, is a much more interesting topic than Trump repeating something that he probably just saw someone else saying.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 14:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
does that extremely unhealthy behavior not mean anything to you?

Sure it does. It's annoying. But it's also refreshing in that Trump simply does not take crap from people that politicians have bowed down to because they're so afraid of being attacked. I'd prefer a happier medium there to be sure.

Don't you expect more from the office of the President? Random people freaking out on both sides is nothing new. If anyone is going to rise above, shouldn't it be the President? If he shows no inclination to do so, why would anyone else? Are people not just following the example he sets?

After the presidents I've lived through? No. Pettiness is the new norm, Trump just is more obvious about it.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-11 14:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that comic's missing the point. Nobody's against a better environment, we're against getting taxed into oblivion.
Be prepared for coffee, tea, scotch, tequila, swiss cheese and watches, and well ... darn near everything to cost 20% more.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 14:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I've seen incredibly easy to trigger Trump supporters. So this thing that only one side does it should just be dropped.

I guess the biggest difference then is that the GOP doesn't have George Soros to fund protests designed to make people look more upset than they actually are?
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-02-11 14:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

I guess the biggest difference then is that the GOP doesn't have George Soros to fund protests designed to make people look more upset than they actually are?

I would say that those GOPers that went home to conservative town halls would disagree with you.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2017-02-11 14:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Josiah is just jealous.

canada sucks!
Day of the rake is coming!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-11 14:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact remains that the judges didn't even challenge the statute, which speaks volumes about what the basis of their decision in the first place.
Because the legality of the EO wasn't in question. The 9th circuit upheld the ability of the courts to review executive actions.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 82 83 84