Mog Wardrobe 3 & 4 Announced With A Fee.

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Mog Wardrobe 3 & 4 announced with a fee.
Mog Wardrobe 3 & 4 announced with a fee.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-06-30 14:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

That has been the flimsiest argument next to "you abyssea burned your job so clearly you don't have a say in this" since 2003, pls stahp.
[+]
By volkom 2016-06-30 14:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
volkom said: »
What exactly is wrong with a cash shop? Think it would useful for people with limited play time or for people who just want particular things

Not all of us are so complacent and willing to be double fisted in the *** for both a sub fee and having to pay for features individually when the game is on a P2P model. Asking for an additional $2 monthly service charge to maintain bytes of data is ridiculous.
It's all optional though. No one is forcing you to pay more than your standard subscription. If you want additional services you pay extra. It's that simple. You do it if you want another mule/char. You do it if you want to server transfer. It's just additional services.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-06-30 14:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

What exactly is wrong with a cash shop? Think it would useful for people with limited play time or for people who just want particular things

Not all of us are so complacent and willing to be double fisted in the *** for both a sub fee and having to pay for features individually when the game is on a P2P model. Asking for an additional $2 monthly service charge to maintain bytes of data is ridiculous.
It's all optional though. No one is forcing you to pay more than your standard subscription. If you want additional services you pay extra. It's that simple. You do it if you want another mule/char. You do it if you want to server transfer. It's just additional services.

Don't be so short sighted, it has been spelled out in black and white at least a dozen times now: no one is mad specifically about the motherfucking mog wardrobes. I'm sure more than a few people would be more willing to buy these if they were a single charge of $5 or $10 for the added convenience, but that isn't what they're doing. This sets a precedent for SE to monetize anything they damn well please and you can be damn sure they will monetize more things in the future.

How about $3 a month for a +100% XP campaign whenever you want?

$5 a month for double Alexandrite/pouch drops

$3 a month for double gobbie dials and special keys!

Buying stupid ***like different mounts and that *** would be fine, but offering genuine gameplay enhancements is a smack in the face and will only get worse from here. Apologists can deny it all they want, but they either haven't played other games besides XI or have been ignorant to where SE and the gaming industry as a whole is going. It's all about cash ins now and I've seen many a decent to good game die from this exact problem and people saying "well it's ok, surely they won't add more right :^)".
[+]
 Asura.Raelia
Server: Asura
user: Raelia
By Asura.Raelia 2016-06-30 14:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember the slippery slope argument about the mini expansions, lol.
[+]
By volkom 2016-06-30 14:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

They gave exclusive items through other merchandise and events. I'd definitely wouldn't mind buying that stuff from a cash shop. If they gave exp/cp boosts for limited time I'd buy that too. So what if they offer additional rewards or boosts through a cash shop. It gives people more access to content and items whereas they may have been gated by the market and/or players.
[+]
By Selindrile 2016-06-30 14:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really really sad to see this move from Square, I won't be paying for the wardrobe despite how much I want the space, this is a really shady move and I have real fear about where it's heading in the future.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-06-30 14:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***batman it's almost like I just said cosmetic items would be fine but gameplay enhancements are the *** part
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-06-30 14:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm torn.

Yes, everything Prothescar is saying is 100% on point. IAP-creep is the kiss of death, and there is so much data supporting this claim from, oh, every online game ever it's a little baffling some people here need it explained.

OTOH, don't even front like this isn't the same thing as the mules we've all been paying a dollar a month a piece for since the dawn of time. No doubt this has a bigger impact on moment-to-moment gameplay and is a huge QoL improvement for the job-for-all-seasons folks it's clearly directed at, but don't say this is uniquely new pay-to-win for this game when you probably traded 150 keys in the Abjuration Gobbiedial campaign.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-06-30 14:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
People are letting their imaginations run a little wild. The wardrobes are going to by purchased like a character. It doesn't look like a whole store is being added. Also, people are saying they might add new job, emotes, and gear for a price. SE said they can't even create new spells, so none of that is even possible.

I agree, I was really looking forward to wardrobes and it stings a little that I need to pay for it. But, if you're committed to the game and you need it, you'll probably buy it. If you don't need it, then great, you save $4.

Here is the link because some of the stuff people are saying leads me to believe not everyone has read it.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/wardrobe/index.html

And if you are someone who quit this game, stop complaining about this. No one is offering you any inventory space for $2.
I think it's more that people are saying that this lends to the idea that they'll do for XI what has been in XIV.
Not that there will be new thing, but nickle and dimed "cheats" to buy the things already outright.

Thing is, gil sellers have always existed. There was always a way for people to buy a mythic or whatever. But the majority won't. The accomplishment of making your own gear is almost the only fun in this game. If SE did allow you to buy legendary weapons, I also wouldn't be surprised if LS's who's, members are purists, started kicking people for that.

And even in the worst case, say SE lets you buy already existing gear, and people start to go nuts and buy everything, who cares? The people with full time jobs and/or kids and little play time can get the gear they've always wanted. They'll get to be on e leveled playing field with the people who don't work full time and have tons of play time to get that stuff.

Personally, I'd prefer they don't start letting people buy gear. But it's not the end of the world id they do.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-06-30 14:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thing is, gil sellers have always existed. There was always a way for people to buy a mythic or whatever. But the majority won't. The accomplishment of making your own gear is almost the only fun in this game. If SE did allow you to buy legendary weapons, I also wouldn't be surprised if LS's who's, members are purists, started kicking people for that.

Multiboxing accounts is easily as pay-to-win as buying gil.
[+]
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2016-06-30 15:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raelia said: »
I remember the slippery slope argument about the mini expansions, lol.

I remember someone in 2010 saying "next thing you know, they'll be offering Abyssea - Dangruf Wadi for 9.99".
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2016-06-30 15:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

This pay-for-storage thing is most likely a test run anyway on a number of varying levels in order for Square-Enix to get an idea how the mobile versions purchasing system will work - and be received.

[+]
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-06-30 15:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odinz said: »
4 Eras

Era 0.5 (2002-2003)- No one has a 75, the JP are so elite. "OMG I just had a JP WHM cast raise on me"

Era 1 -(2003-2009) 75 cap - HNMs, Sky, sea, exping, cooldown content (assault/salvage/einherjar)"I got 3 x 75 jobs - respect me peasants"
End of the golden age.

Era 3 - Abyssea "Maat's caps...maat's caps everywhere" "Victory Smite all the things"

Era 4 - Today - I Quad box and solo everything in-game. I spend more on the forums though.

What does any of that have to do with extra mog wardrobes? <.<
[+]
By Takisan 2016-06-30 15:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea 1 time fee I would do this but what happens to your gear if you downgrade back to just 2 wardrobes? lol
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-06-30 15:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

A one-off transaction is fine. Even more so when it's an expansion, as you're paying for the time they put into making and implementing it. In this case you're paying extra per month for a tiny feature, which is fine for some, but it's an indication of the future for others. If SE 100% guaranteed the extra money would go towards supporting the game, then that would be a selling point .. but at the moment it looks like a money grab. Read the description on the website where it says:

"We've heard from many of you that your bags are getting to be a touch cramped, and hope that the introduction of these optional, fee-based wardrobes will ease the burdens of adventurers who play a variety of jobs with large amounts of equipment."

Firstly, they admit to a fundamental flaw with the game. Then they "hope" this introduction would please those suffering from a flaw created by the developers. Again, they mention the word "burden", which is something they put on the playerbase by adding augmented gear you can't store. They specifically end it by targeting players who play many jobs .. which I'm sure if you played endgame content, know that versatility is encouraged. You are asked to level and gear several different types of jobs if you join an Event LS.

It charges those players, the ones who have many jobs available for events. I love it when I'm making parties and they can switch jobs depending on who shows. Instead of fixing the burden, they charge extra and expect them to appreciate the extra space they should have anyways. By adding this extra charge, returning players may feel discouraged and stick to fewer jobs.

But this isn't about mog lockers entirely, personally I am worried there will be more money grabs in the future. This is not free-to-play, so perhaps they won't, maybe this will be the one money grab aside from server transfers for the following years. If that's the case, then I can live with that.

You know what would make sense? If you got more wardrobe space the more jobs you had on 99. Give us in-game incentive to level and gear all jobs so more players would look at wardrobe 3&4 as a viable option. Wardrobe 5 anyone? At least then, all players would have a maximum of 3 if they level all jobs and decide not to pay extra. At least that would go someway in fixing this "burden".
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2016-06-30 15:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Takisan said: »
Yea 1 time fee I would do this but what happens to your gear if you downgrade back to just 2 wardrobes? lol

It's similar to the Mog Locker system from Treasures of Aht Urhgan. If Mr. Moogle didn't get his imperial bronze coins, you lost access to the Locker until you paid him and renewed the 'lease'.
By Elazar1 2016-06-30 15:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Next month buy a M/R/E/A $120 each. Get the feeling this is path we heading down. Wouldn't care if was not paying $15 a month for a 14 year old game.
 Siren.Sjg
Server: Siren
user: sjg6
By Siren.Sjg 2016-06-30 15:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Countless people paid for mules for years, but an alternate method of paying for storage calls for a spate of slippery slope arguments apparently.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-06-30 15:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Valefor.Omnys said: »
As has been pointed out, it's a slippery slope. People are raising a stink because it's only the beginning. This is them testing the waters to see how their community reacts.

As has also been pointed out, players embracing this is a win/win for SE: the more spidered-out our gear gets, the more we want this, they have no incentive to alleviate inventory issues. Make them worse! It means money!

Unrelated: Chrome translating the JP General Discussion forum doesn't seem to have anyone talking about this.

They've been making extremely situational sidegrades for over a decade now, I don't even see how that's an argument you can make on this. There's merit in most of your other points, but not that one.

You didn't carry 5 dusk gloves back then. It is not only about sidegrades. Your situational gear options back in the day was no where near today.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-06-30 15:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
This is not free-to-play, so perhaps they won't, maybe this will be the one money grab aside from server transfers for the following years. If that's the case, then I can live with that.
^^
This is the most likely scenario.

but...

Elazar1 said: »
Next month buy a M/R/E/A $120 each. Get the feeling this is path we heading down. Wouldn't care if was not paying $15 a month for a 14 year old game.
^^
Who cares if they did do this? As long as the option is still thee to make your own, why should it bother you if some rich dude bought one? I wouldn't spend money on that. Now it's just looking like people fear their ego's might be hurt.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-30 15:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wtf limited playtime has to do with being able to have more inventory? lol
Incredibly empty argument...if anything casuals need less space than hardcores.

dafuq
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-06-30 15:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sjg said: »
Countless people paid for mules for years, but an alternate method of paying for storage calls for a spate of slippery slope arguments apparently.

Good thing you get way more out of a mule (and it costs more for SE to store the data for a mule, and it costs you HALF THE PRICE to get a mule compared to a wardrobe) than just inventory space, innit?
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-06-30 15:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Just wtf limited playtime has to do with being able to have more inventory? lol
Incredibly empty argument...if anything casuals need less space than hardcores.

dafuq

I think you missed part of the discussion.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2016-06-30 15:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to pay for main + 3 mules and an alt and 1 mule as do a lot of people so I'd imagine that money isn't much for 160 more invent spaces. How I see it is if you want it you can pay for it if you don't want it then stop bitching and move on.
 Asura.Nususu
user: nususu
By Asura.Nususu 2016-06-30 15:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »
I used to pay for main + 3 mules and an alt and 1 mule as do a lot of people so I'd imagine that money isn't much for 160 more invent spaces. How I see it is if you want it you can pay for it if you don't want it then stop bitching and move on.

Amazing how many people open up this thread and make he same argument that has been posted so many times. As if one more person saying "buy it or not but stop complaining" would change everyone else's minds.
[+]
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2016-06-30 15:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is, if SE isn't spending any resources on this game anymore, the subscription fee should be going down not up.

If the announcement of this 'service' had followed a slashing of sub price it might have made sense, but it didn't.
[+]
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2016-06-30 16:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Traxus said: »
The point is, if SE isn't spending any resources on this game anymore, the subscription fee should be going down not up.
2 new wardrobes is 160 more integer values they need to store and account for bandwidth per character every time that character changes areas.
It's not paying peoples' salaries, it's paying for physical hardware stress and capacity. Granted, it's a pretty high price for that, but it's a more-than-zero cost for SE, and it'll probably allow them to keep the game running for longer.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-06-30 16:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it particularly distasteful given that their most recent gear offerings are things that mandate spending inventory space on countless permutations of augments.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-30 16:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't be so short sighted, it has been spelled out in black and white at least a dozen times now: no one is mad specifically about the motherfucking mog wardrobes. I'm sure more than a few people would be more willing to buy these if they were a single charge of $5 or $10 for the added convenience, but that isn't what they're doing. This sets a precedent for SE to monetize anything they damn well please and you can be damn sure they will monetize more things in the future.

They have already been doing this..... for awhile now ... just like every other online game developer.
 Bahamut.Striker
By Bahamut.Striker 2016-06-30 16:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Takisan said: »
lock out till you pay yo back rent!
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19