Random Politics & Religion #02

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 38 39 40
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
What Savael is saying are smaller than even the small mom/pop businesses. Those are the type of businesses that sell from their garage and can be considered to be a hobby in most cases.

But still, technically, income/expenditures that taxes should be paid upon.

But they're not!

Voila!
I don't consider them businesses unless they have a business model or prospect for growth.

Something you do for fun and make a little money on the side =/= something you want to do for the rest of your life and make a living off of.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
So we're all on board with the cruz tax plan?

That's the summary from my 10 seconds of skiming.

Only if, by that, you mean that Rooks has put out his own tax plan and you're using our newly-minted nickname for him.
We already know what his tax plan is.

FFXIAH Gems, 100 for $5, 500 for $20, 10 gems to edit, 20 to post an image, 500,000 to get Kojo banned.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

What Savael is saying are smaller than even the small mom/pop businesses. Those are the type of businesses that sell from their garage and can be considered to be a hobby in most cases.

*Cough*

Hotdog carts at fairs. Mowing people's lawns and other handyman / service work.

I know folks who live off that money, so for them it's a livelihood not a hobby.

It's part of being from the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder. My younger sister thought being manager at a local pizza place was "really good money".
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

*Cough*

Hotdog carts at fairs. Mowing people's lawns and other handyman / service work.

I know folks who live off that money, so for them it's a livelihood not a hobby.

It's part of being from the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder. My younger sister thought being manager at a local pizza place was "really good money".
I did say most cases....
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Something you do for fun and make a little money on the side =/= something you want to do for the rest of your life and make a living off of.

It's not a hobby or for fun, it's used to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-21 13:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not a hobby or for fun, it's used to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

I know several people whom I suspect work and fund themselves this way.

Probably all exchanges are far under the tax table.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough. No potential for growth either, so it doesn't interest me.

You'd be surprised what can happen when the government cannot lay claim to money they don't know about. It is also a two-way income source. Not only are you saving money from being in a lower tax bracket, not paying taxes on an undisclosed amount of earned money, but a fair amount of the time things actually cost less when using cash only and it can attract more business.

So it is rather quite the opposite.. Greater potential for growth.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-21 13:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Only if, by that, you mean that Rooks has put out his own tax plan and you're using our newly-minted nickname for him.

On a scale of 1-10, how full of feelz was it?
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-21 13:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Having an abortion immediately propels you into an 80% tax bracket
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-21 13:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

Go on....
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't consider them businesses unless they have a business model or prospect for growth.

Not all business wants to grow you know?

Why do these have to be separate endeavors?
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

You'd be surprised what can happen when the government cannot lay claim to money they don't know about. It is also a two-way income source. Not only are you saving money from being in a lower tax bracket, not paying taxes on an undisclosed amount of earned money, but a fair amount of the time things actually cost less when using cash only and it can attract more business.

And once it starts growing, then it will get large enough that it needs to be tracked and taxed. Lots of business's started that way.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

And once it starts growing, then it will get large enough that it needs to be tracked and taxed. Lots of business's started that way.

Crazy huh! Now if only we could find a way to make the government smaller and take less of our money!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-21 13:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this an argument for no taxes on small businesses that make less than X dollars a year?

or does it extend across individuals too?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Go on....
Being anti-vax not only causes eminent domain laws to apply to you on all your property, but you will also lose custody of your children AND your freedom. You better live in a state that doesn't execute, he would go after that too....
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-21 13:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Go on....

Looks like some people got the warm and tinglies in their pants hearts from that one, Mr. Cruz. Stop whispering sweet nothings in their ears.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-21 13:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean you're only allowed to have one safe and it has to be in your business and all the employees must have a key?

I am really out of touch, all these new laws I knew nothing about..
What you are suggesting is counter to actual business practices. I do not know of one business that runs a cash-only, no bank account method. I mean, there's absolutely no growth in that....
I knew one. It was a fully licensed auto shop. Cash or check onry. Didn't have a company credit card and I suspect not even a bank account. I know they payed local suppliers cash, now idea how they payed their employees.

If they needed used parts the owner would drive to the wrecking yard and pay cash. I needed a fairly rare transmission, found one in Idaho, was told I would have to pick it up. But I have a credit card so I bought it and had it shipped. It was an all's well that ended well.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-21 14:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Looks like some people got the warm and tinglies in their pants hearts from that one, Mr. Cruz. Stop whispering sweet nothings in their ears.

Look, I've got a lot of ground to make up

Whoever amongst you has not pandered, cast the first stone
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I know they payed local suppliers cash, now idea how they payed their employees.

More than likely cash under the table. I bet it was more than 15 bucks an hour, especially taking into account for how much they didn't get taken out of their "check" by the government!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 14:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

At the level you are proposing? Why wouldn't you want to grow?

One wants to strive to support themselves while the other is doing it without the strive to support themselves, just for fun.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 14:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM, go!
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 14:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

One wants to strive to support themselves while the other is doing it without the strive to support themselves, just for fun.

I am not talking any "level" I am talking in generalities.

You realize supporting yourself is a lot easier when the government isn't taking their cut right?
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-21 14:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

WHAT?!? I thought, at this point in the game, it was mathematically impossible for you to recover.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It was an oil's's well that ended well.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 14:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean you're only allowed to have one safe and it has to be in your business and all the employees must have a key?

What you are suggesting is counter to actual business practices. I do not know of one business that runs a cash-only, no bank account method. I mean, there's absolutely no growth in that....
I knew one. It was a fully licensed auto shop. Cash or check onry. Didn't have a company credit card and I suspect not even a bank account. I know they payed local suppliers cash, now idea how they payed their employees.

If they needed used parts the owner would drive to the wrecking yard and pay cash. I needed a fairly rare transmission, found one in Idaho, was told I would have to pick it up. But I have a credit card so I bought it and had it shipped. It was an all's well that ended well.
You can't be a "cash or check only" business and not have a bank account. You already countered your own example.

I mean, you cannot legally cash checks made out to the company without a bank account associated with that company. That is against anti-money laundering banking laws that also (to nobody's surprise) created foreign accounts reporting laws that pretty much spat in the face of many trade agreements at that time.

But still, your example of a cash only, no banking account business is false due to legal standing with receipt of checks. And I bet you that not all checks were made out to that guy himself, but to his business.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 14:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not talking any "level" I am talking in generalities.

You realize supporting yourself is a lot easier when the government isn't taking their cut right?
Sure, except everyone else around you has to pay for what you are taking advantage of.
Otherwise, go live somewhere by yourself, with only what you can build with your two hands.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, this works both ways. You're also getting nothing from the government this way either.

Admittedly, in some lower income brackets, communities, etc...

...it can really feel like you're not getting much in the first place if you're not living on the dole.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 14:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Otherwise, go live somewhere by yourself, with only what you can build with your two hands.

This sounds like a ton of fun and a great way to live.

Until I run out of Charmin.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 14:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't be a "cash or check only" business and not have a bank account. You already countered your own example.

I mean, you cannot legally cash checks made out to the company without a bank account associated with that company. That is against anti-money laundering banking laws that also (to nobody's surprise) created foreign accounts reporting laws that pretty much spat in the face of many trade agreements at that time.

But still, your example of a cash only, no banking account business is false due to legal standing with receipt of checks. And I bet you that not all checks were made out to that guy himself, but to his business.
Considering it is Chanti with the anecdote, when did those laws go into effect? Starting the 1970s, no?
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 38 39 40