Random Politics & Religion #02

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 38 39 40
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-16 09:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Altimaomega said: »
Assuming the "powers that be" are "politicians".

There are powers that be which are behind politicians as well and there powers that be behind them and so on.... multiple layers of occult (hidden) power. People who pull the strings which many people do not know about.

There is no occult hidden group of people running ***, no bond villains. It's piss easy to figure out who's doing what, they don't bother hiding. Instead they just don't make it a policy to publicly say anything about what they are doing. They aren't going around announcing to the world that they just donated 500,000 USD to a politicians reelection campaign, or that did a favor for someone in exchange for support in the future. They don't hide because there is no need to hide, no grand conspiracy, no men in red smoking jackets sitting in a dimly lit room discussing how they are going to continue secretly ruling the world. What you have is a bunch, hundreds even, of individuals with access to both financial and political resources, each with different goals and desires. Often those goals align and alliances of convenience will form, those alliances will break when that convenience ends. Sometimes these alliances will pool their resources to support a particular political cause, and another set of alliances will support an opposing political cause. Support shifts and there are even those who play both sides against the other, bartering favors and resources for similiar currency.

Once people grasp that concept, that most of what happens in the world is a result of entropy meeting opportunists, things become much easier to follow. It's no longer a "Us good guys vs Them bad guys" mindset, instead just different groups battling it out each with their own agenda and all being driven by self interest. The world also becomes a much scarier place as there is no "good guys" coming to save the day and right past wrongs.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-16 09:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
fringe conservative laws

That's really the issue, things that are on the fringe being brought to the center.

The law has a loop hole that can be quite profitable and serviceable for someone savvy enough to take advantage of it. It's pretty simple too, officially change the documented biological sex on a birth certificate.

I can see it now:

The North Carolina Biological Sex Documentation Center, where you can have your documented biological sex officially changed for a service fee to fund the implementation of contra-services that arise due to the enactment of fringe laws.
From what I was led to believe, if you undergo gender reassignment, and I mean going in and having your gender legally changed, you are reissued a birth certificate that reflects this.

I've heard transpeople who have gone through all of this (surgery too) say that everything was changed over, their birth certificate was altered and reissued, and the only way to tell that they were born a different gender than they are is to look at their DNA.

Also, while I haven't followed anything in P&R very closely that relates to where people use the bathroom, it seems like most of the BS is along the lines of "but what if a girl with a winkie is in the women's restroom?!" See, Trans women aren't that complicated from a surgical standpoint, but it's very expensive and it's surgery and it comes with pros and cons. Transmen, female body made male, is much more complicated. Their options are very limited and non-functional, in many cases it's aesthetic.

The entire "bathroom rule" issue is absurd, it brings to mind the idea of bathroom police who will inspect you before allowing you use of the facilities.

Exactly,

The other thought that comes to mind is that you shouldn't really enact a law like this unless there were precedents set that require a need. I mean that in the capacity of these fun questions to ask oneself:

"North Carolina has that many trans-gendered people to necessitate this law?"

"Are these said trans-gendered people misbehaving themselves in public restrooms that a law need to be enacted?"

It's almost like there is a scourge of trans-gendered gangs harassing people in the safe havens of North Carolina's public restrooms. North Carolina (the new capital of the southern trans-gendered), needed to enact a law to protect it's basic gendered citizens from the lavatorial horrors incurred by the trans-gendered horde. Horrors such as....

I think you get the idea, ***is absurd.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-16 10:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Poland wants more NATO troops in eastern Europe
he thinks Russia's more dangerous than IS, etc.

Also doesn't the polish foreign minister look like the diabeetus guy?

By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 11:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Not working? Medicare isnt the ACA. Medicaid existed before the ACA?

Take Google for a spin and find out how much medicare/medicaid has expanded because of the ACA..

Not only are middle class tax payers paying for Obamacare now, they are still paying for Medicare AND they HAVE to have their own insurance or be penalized!

Biggest Government scam ever and that is saying something!
By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 11:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Also doesn't the polish foreign minister look like the diabeetus guy?

Nope.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 11:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/obama-has-collected-18764164000000-taxes-borrowed-8632933372906

Quote:
By the end of this September--if the Treasury collects the estimated $3,335,502,000,000 in revenues for this year—the Treasury will have collected $20,623,448,000,000 in taxes during the 92 full months Obama will by then have served in the White House.

Quote:
the total debt of the federal government increased from $10,632,005,246,736.97 to $19,264,938,619,643.07, according to the Treasury. That is an increase in the debt of $8,632,933,372,906.10

Quote:
The $15,099,826,000,000 in taxes that the Treasury collected during Bush’s first 86 full months in office equaled approximately $103,363 for each of the 146,086,000 persons who had a full- or part-time job in March 2008.

During the first 86 full months of George W. Bush’s presidency, the debt increased from $5,716,070,587,057.36 to $9,437,594,138,091.39.

That is a debt increase of $3,721,523,551,034.03
By Jetackuu 2016-04-16 11:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Good thing the fiscal year doesn't start on inauguration day.

Also a good thing that it's ultimately moot.

Good thing about a trillion has been removed from the deficit.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-16 11:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultimately moot as long as the government doesn't shut down due to temper tantrums*
By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 11:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad we agree your posts are moot..

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-16 12:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It's a PR spectacle obviously. Still not discrimination.

That wasn't my argument. My argument is that it's stupid and counter-productive.
Ok.

Still not discrimination.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-16 13:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a PR spectacle obviously. Still not discrimination.

That wasn't my argument. My argument is that it's stupid and counter-productive.
Ok.

Still not discrimination.

Ok.

It's still stupid.

By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 20:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad we can still post stuff about measles and call all vaccines effective and worthwhile around here..

As for whooping cough.. Several strains exists and just because everyone is vaccinated doesn't mean you or your children are not going to get it. Same with the Flu Shot and more than likely many others.

It's one thing to get up on a soap box about one vaccine that is proven to work and is by far worthwhile to get. It is a totally different thing to say all vaccines are a MUST and literally turn your child into a pin cushion.

People love to toss around the term unintelligent. I ask you how intelligent is it to not have a clue what is going on and do what the "herd mentality" is telling you? Go out get educated and make a responsible decision!

/InsertHerdOfWildMustangsRunningOfaCliff.giff

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-16 20:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad we can still post stuff about measles and call all vaccines effective and worthwhile around here..

As for whooping cough.. Several strains exists and just because everyone is vaccinated doesn't mean you or your children are not going to get it. Same with the Flu Shot and more than likely many others.

You should really learn how statistics work.

Quote:
It's one thing to get up on a soap box about one vaccine that is proven to work and is by far worthwhile to get. It is a totally different thing to say all vaccines are a MUST and literally turn your child into a pin cushion.

You should really learn how scientific studies work.

Quote:
People love to toss around the term unintelligent. I ask you how intelligent is it to not have a clue what is going on and do what the "herd mentality" is telling you? Go out get educated and make a responsible decision!

/InsertHerdOfWildMustangsRunningOfaCliff.giff

You should really learn what herd immunity is, and how it works.

I don't toss around unintelligent. I know plenty of smart people who make the wrong decision all the time. Intellect is far from an immunity to making poor choices, but what it does do, is give you the tools to go out and research the answer. Choosing not to do that doesn't make you stupid, it just makes you ignorant. And really - willful ignorance is actually worse than stupidity, because it's a choice.

There's three things that you can't change, no matter how much you rail against them:

• vaccination practices have proven, through time, to reduce the infection rates of communicable diseases, even among the unvaccinated

• herd immunity is how we as a society defend those who cannot defend themselves - infants, the elderly, the immunocompromised

• vaccination against communicable diseases is, at this point in our technological advancement, a social imperative; you are part of society, and choosing not to aid in the defense of its weakest members is a an utter moral failing.

Quote:
Go out get educated and make a responsible decision!

Follow your own advice.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 21:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
You should really learn how statistics work.

What I said has nothing to do with statistics. I'm speaking from personal experience.

You should really learn how scientific studies work.

Again, what I said has nothing to do with scientific studies. All vaccines are not a MUST, ask your doctor.

Considering I am an actual Herdsman, have actually owned Herds and have multiple Cattlemen awards I find this hilarious.

I don't understand why you need to say this.
I don't toss around unintelligent. I know plenty of smart people who make the wrong decision all the time. Intellect is far from an immunity to making poor choices, but what it does do, is give you the tools to go out and research the answer. Choosing not to do that doesn't make you stupid, it just makes you ignorant. And really - willful ignorance is actually worse than stupidity, because it's a choice.

When I said this.
Go out get educated and make a responsible decision!
Believe it or not willful ignorance pisses me off as well. It is actually the main thing that pisses me off.

There's three things that you can't change, no matter how much you rail against them:

vaccination practices have proven, through time, to reduce the infection rates of communicable diseases, even among the unvaccinated

herd immunity is how we as a society defend those who cannot defend themselves - infants, the elderly, the immunocompromised

vaccination against communicable diseases is, at this point in our technological advancement, a social imperative; you are part of society, and choosing not to aid in the defense of its weakest members is a an utter moral failing.

I don't disagree, to a certain extent.

Follow your own advice.
Everyday.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-16 21:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Those shoes were made for fitting, and that's just what they do.

It's funnier when you sing it.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-16 21:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering I am an actual Herdsman, have actually owned Herds and have multiple Cattlemen awards I find this hilarious
Did you forget the sarcasm font?

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 22:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering I am an actual Herdsman, have actually owned Herds and have multiple Cattlemen awards I find this hilarious
Did you forget the sarcasm font?

Do you really think there is a difference between an animal and humans immune system? I have personally witnessed over 15 generations of my herd and have records of over 50. I have seen vaccines save cattle and kill them. I have seen how too many vaccines at certain times can be a massive detriment to the life of an animal.

The main difference is vaccines that harm or kill cattle are less likely to make the news and if/when they do, the consensus is to find out the problem rather than call people unintelligent and frighten them into actually not getting the most important vaccines which risk the Herds entire viability.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-16 22:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

herd immunity is how we as a society defend those who cannot defend themselves - infants, the elderly, the immunocompromised

Neither of those is true.

I'm all for vaccines, but we need to be honest about how they work. Me getting a vaccine does absolutely jack ***to protect you from that virus. Half a population getting a vaccine does absolutely nothing for the other half. Vaccines do not provide some magical shield that prevents you from getting a virus.

If you are vaccinated you will still contract the virus.

You will have none or only minor symptoms (fatigue being the biggest) for a day, maybe two then it's gone. Most of the time you won't even know you had the virus. This is because vaccines don't cure a virus, instead the force the body to produce anti-bodies against that virus and the next time the virus enters the host, the body can immediately start fighting the invader and the virus is denied it's critical incubation period. Without that incubation period the virus won't have nearly as many copies of itself and the body can overwhelm and expel it. The only way to actually be immune to for the infection vector to be blocked, which is normally due to a genetic mutation. A good example is that 10% of the European population is immune to HIV due to a mutation in the CCR5 protein. HIV-1, the vast majority of the virus, simply can not infect them though HIV-2, a rare strain, can.

You still contract the virus and can still infect others. You vaccine does not confer protection to people around you. This is an extremely misunderstood idea. What having a majority of a population vaccinated does is dramatically cut down on the time an outbreak lasts. Because your only infected for two to forty eight hours, there is less time for you to spread the infection which lowers the total number of infected. You don't need the entire population vaccinated for this, not even half, and proper prevention and care achieves the same result without requiring forced vaccination.

You will not, nor will someone you love, die because some ignorant fool refused vaccination. That is just someone manipulating your emotions with irrational fear. Getting people vaccinated is a good cause, but using fear to do it is morally wrong. Using that fear to justify preemptively violating another humans will is extremely reprehensible, akin to rape.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 22:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop being unintelligent Saev!
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-16 22:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Now a note about genetic mutations and how they work in virus's and diseases.

DNA mutations happen all the time, but without selection pressure they don't become common. Selection pressure is the beneficial effects of a mutation causing the host to either out-perform everyone else (upward) or simply not die when the others are dying (downward).

Vaccines and antibiotics create downward selection pressure on infection diseases. The higher percentage of a population that is vaccinated, the higher probability that the virus will be forced to mutate (aka adapt) to survive. The more antibiotics are used, the higher percentage that bacteria will be forced to mutate to survive.

Virus's will not suddenly mutate into super resistant versions inside a unvaccinated host for the same reason bacteria won't suddenly mutate into resistant strains if someone doesn't take antibiotics. It's for this reason that doctors have started scaling back the frequency and potency of antibiotics they prescribe, too many super resistant bugs started appearing.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-16 22:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally a note on doctors and the Hippocratic Oath. That oath requires all doctors to do no harm. That means they can't consciously choose an action that would result in harm being down to a patient or to the population in general.

This oath extends to lying. If telling the truth would result in possibly death or injury to a patient or to the general population, the doctor is required to withhold that truth. I'm not making this up, it's an actual question on their exams.

Quote:
If the patient is a women with a child, and during a routine blood test you discover the child could not be biologically related to the stated father, should the doctor inform the man that he is not the biological father? Should the doctor answer truthfully if the stated father inquires?

The answer to both is no. The reason is because informing the stated father could result in him abandoning the women and child, or inflicting harm upon them. The doctor must either refuse the answer the question with "patient confidentiality" or flat out lie, unless he's given permission from the mother to disclose this information.

So before anyone starts quoting "well doctor so and so said X", remember they required to lie to protect the population at large. Encouraging vaccinations does this, as a vaccinated person is in a better position to fight off virus's then a non-vaccinated person. Anything that would discourage vaccinations could be in violation of that oath.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-16 22:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Vaccines and antibiotics create downward selection pressure on infection diseases. The higher percentage of a population that is vaccinated, the higher probability that the virus will be forced to mutate (aka adapt) to survive. The more antibiotics are used, the higher percentage that bacteria will be forced to mutate to survive.

Virus's will not suddenly mutate into super resistant versions inside a unvaccinated host for the same reason bacteria won't suddenly mutate into resistant strains if someone doesn't take antibiotics. It's for this reason that doctors have started scaling back the frequency and potency of antibiotics they prescribe, too many super resistant bugs started appearing.

This is the exact reason I mention how many generations I have overseen. It's not about how many vaccinations and antibiotics you can pump into your herd to keep it healthy. It how Healthy you can keep your herd without using as many vaccines and antibiotics that you can.

The Healthiest animals have the least amount of vaccines and antibiotics! Now, am I gonna tell you vaccines and antibiotics are bad, don't use them! No! I'm going to tell you to
Go out, get educated and make a responsible decision!
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-16 23:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Now remember I fully support vaccinations. I don't support deliberate misinformation and fear spreading to achieve that goal. And I most certainly, without a doubt, do not support preemptively taking away a persons free will. Forcing people to get vaccinations, without their consent, is the same as rape. All the other methods to achieve the same end are just as bad.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-16 23:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither of those is true.

I'm all for vaccines, but we need to be honest about how they work. Me getting a vaccine does absolutely jack ***to protect you from that virus. Half a population getting a vaccine does absolutely nothing for the other half. Vaccines do not provide some magical shield that prevents you from getting a virus.

If you are vaccinated you will still contract the virus.

You will have none or only minor symptoms (fatigue being the biggest) for a day, maybe two then it's gone. Most of the time you won't even know you had the virus. This is because vaccines don't cure a virus, instead the force the body to produce anti-bodies against that virus and the next time the virus enters the host, the body can immediately start fighting the invader and the virus is denied it's critical incubation period. Without that incubation period the virus won't have nearly as many copies of itself and the body can overwhelm and expel it. The only way to actually be immune to for the infection vector to be blocked, which is normally due to a genetic mutation. A good example is that 10% of the European population is immune to HIV due to a mutation in the CCR5 protein. HIV-1, the vast majority of the virus, simply can not infect them though HIV-2, a rare strain, can.

You still contract the virus and can still infect others. You vaccine does not confer protection to people around you. This is an extremely misunderstood idea. What having a majority of a population vaccinated does is dramatically cut down on the time an outbreak lasts. Because your only infected for two to forty eight hours, there is less time for you to spread the infection which lowers the total number of infected. You don't need the entire population vaccinated for this, not even half, and proper prevention and care achieves the same result without requiring forced vaccination.

You will not, nor will someone you love, die because some ignorant fool refused vaccination. That is just someone manipulating your emotions with irrational fear. Getting people vaccinated is a good cause, but using fear to do it is morally wrong. Using that fear to justify preemptively violating another humans will is extremely reprehensible, akin to rape.
So incredibly wrong. A greater proportion of a population being vaccinated reduces the ability of a disease to travel through that population. This is herd immunity and it's simply common *** sense. A vaccinated individual will still contract the pathogen but have a greatly increased chance to show no symptoms including being contagious.

To say that isn't beneficial to others around you is so egregiously wrong that I have to wonder if Saevel just sits at his keyboard making ***up (actually I don't wonder that).
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-16 23:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Half a population getting a vaccine does absolutely nothing for the other half.

***. Don't tell me I have to explain -

This is an extremely misunderstood idea. What having a majority of a population vaccinated does is dramatically cut down on the time an outbreak lasts.

Oh, so, you do understand how herd immunity works, and just reject your personal role in it? Holy ***. That's so much worse.

Anyway, despite AO's obvious bait to me at the onset

I've held off on my usual "shoot first, ask questions never" on this topic. That was obviously a mistake, and that particular bit of leniency is over.

Both of you need to spend some time in the public health journals.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 38 39 40