Random Politics & Religion #02

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 38 39 40
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 08:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
You really haven't said anything other than you know a Conservative that would vote for a Democrat. Which automatically disqualifies him from being a Conservative...

It disqualifies them from being a Republican, maybe, but the GOP hasn't exactly been holding up its end on conservative values, either. "Conservative" is not monolithic, and some of the evangelical-type positions the GOP has been taking lately don't sit well with small-govt conservatives. Don't talk about small government and then start adding regulations that push the envelope for church/state separation.

Plus, a vote for Bernie is a vote for gridlock.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-04-15 08:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump is highly underrated by a lot of you. The head to head polls do not account for the fact that there are multiple people in the race. On the republican side let's say there are 3. If you poll a Kasich supporter and ask him if Donald Trump can win against hillary they are gonna say no but will say yes for their candidate. Plus who the hell do these people poll? I have been a registered republican for 23 years and I have never been polled that I can recall for elections.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 08:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
Plus who the hell do these people poll? I have been a registered republican for 23 years and I have never been polled that I can recall for elections.

Where do you live?

Because, boy howdy, live in Ohio for ten *** minutes and the pollsters can't wait to call you four times a day
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-04-15 08:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

In live in NY
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 08:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

In live in NY

Yeah, I never got polled living in MA or TN.

I assume they focus on states that are less reliably red or blue, and aim for battlegrounds.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 08:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
If primaries started now I think Clinton would be steamrolled into defeat.
Primaries have been going on for a couple of months now.

Where have you been?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 08:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
In live in NY

Yeah, I never got polled living in MA or TN.

I assume they focus on states that are less reliably red or blue, and aim for battlegrounds.
Never been polled in my life in Texas, and I plan on keeping it that way.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 08:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Where have you been?

"if primaries started now"

The point is that Bernie's picked up steam, and the early lead Thrillary established wouldn't happen again. I think it's a chicken and egg problem, though; he picked up steam because he was winning primaries (unexpectedly).
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-15 08:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol why read a post before replying to it, right?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 08:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Where have you been?

"if primaries started now"

The point is that Bernie's picked up steam, and the early lead Thrillary established wouldn't happen again. I think it's a chicken and egg problem, though; he picked up steam because he was winning primaries (unexpectedly).
If the primaries started today, then we wouldn't have this whole *** of Trump/Cruz drama that has been going on today. Maybe even Scott Walker would still be in the running.

/one can only dream.jpg
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 08:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol why read a post before replying to it, right?
Because your post still doesn't make sense.

If the primaries started today, Hillary would be steamrolling Sanders because he wouldn't have the support he has from previous primary wins.

Kindof like how the primaries started on the day they started.....
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-15 08:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You really haven't said anything other than you know a Conservative that would vote for a Democrat. Which automatically disqualifies him from being a Conservative...

It disqualifies them from being a Republican, maybe, but the GOP hasn't exactly been holding up its end on conservative values, either. "Conservative" is not monolithic, and some of the evangelical-type positions the GOP has been taking lately don't sit well with small-govt conservatives. Don't talk about small government and then start adding regulations that push the envelope for church/state separation.

Given some people's revulsion with Hillary and the gridlock/shutdowns we've seen over the past few years, couldn't same be said of Hillary?

Side note: I hate Lindsey Graham's politics, but after he dropped out, he's been surprisingly/weirdly charming(?) and chuckle-worthy in interviews on the topic of the remaining candidates. (Maybe it's the accent?)
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 09:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Quite aware a vote for Bernie is a vote for gridlock.
I'd really like to see the ACA burn in hell though. And a few other Government agencies.

The GOP has not been holding up its end, that is exactly why Cruz and Trump are the leaders right now. The GOP establishment is just as bad as the Democrats and any true Conservative knows that, they would never, in a million years vote for a Democrat over a Republican. To imply otherwise is rather ridiculous.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 09:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Given some people's revulsion with Hillary and the gridlock/shutdowns we've seen over the past few years, couldn't same be said of Hillary?

Considering the current GOP can't pass Obamas agenda and funding for anything he wants fast enough... Not Really.

The current GOP was given the house and senate to kill the ACA and block Obama. They have done the opposite.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 09:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The GOP establishment is just as bad as the Democrats and any true Conservative knows that, they would never, in a million years vote for a Democrat over a Republican. To imply otherwise is rather ridiculous.
Hate to pull the "no true Scotsman" fallacy here, but......
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 09:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering the current GOP can't pass Obamas agenda and funding for anything he wants fast enough... Not Really.

The current GOP was given the house and senate to kill the ACA and block Obama. They have done the opposite.
Because they don't have veto override power.

It's hard to kill a law if a sitting president won't sign it.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 09:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

any true Conservative

"Any true conservative"?

Stop projecting your opinions on to the entire conservative spectrum. It's not a monolith. Cruz and Trump can't even agree with each other, so how can there possibly be one fixed set of principles?

Political stances are (or should be) a lot more nuanced than that, and there are plenty of reasons why someone who normally sits on the right would take HRC or Bernie over Trump or Cruz.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 09:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't fund it! smh...
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 09:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The GOP establishment is just as bad as the Democrats and any true Conservative knows that, they would never, in a million years vote for a Democrat over a Republican. To imply otherwise is rather ridiculous.

/high-five
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 10:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

any true Conservative

"Any true conservative"?

Stop projecting your opinions on to the entire conservative spectrum. It's not a monolith. Cruz and Trump can't even agree with each other, so how can there possibly be one fixed set of principles?

I've never said otherwise.

Political stances are (or should be) a lot more nuanced than that, and there are plenty of reasons why someone who normally sits on the right would take HRC or Bernie over Trump or Cruz.

Sure there can be all sorts of nuance to them. You are not a Conservative if you vote for Hillary and especially Bernie.

I am not projecting anything, its simply how it works.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 10:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure there can be all sorts of nuance to them. You are not a Conservative if you vote for Hillary and especially Bernie.

I am not projecting anything, its simply how it works.

You're (probably) not a Republican if you do that. You can still be a conservative. Or is the capitalization meant to denote some specific sect of conservatism?

You can very much have conservative principles and still go the other way. The letter by the name is not the defining factor in someone's vote, or at least it sure as hell shouldn't be.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 10:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to call Hillary or Bernie more Conservative than either Cruz or Trump sure. /laugh

That isn't about to happen anytime soon though.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 10:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You can very much have conservative principles and still go the other way.

You cannot be a Conservative and vote for Hillary or Bernie and still call yourself a Conservative. (And have [b]anyone[/b] take you seriously)
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 10:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't fund it! smh...
Still requires either a signature or veto override power.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 10:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Or is the capitalization meant to denote some specific sect of conservatism?

I dunno, like you say many forms of Conservatism exists. I would say I am a Constitution Conservative. But all forms fall under the Republican or Libertarian banner.

I say again NO Conservative would vote for the clowns the left is running.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 10:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to call Hillary or Bernie more Conservative than either Cruz or Trump sure. /laugh

Not what I'm saying.

Do you know what "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy is?

Seriously, that definition fits your argument like a glove.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-15 10:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Things are getting pretty hot and heavy on the democrat side

Quote:
Independent Vermont Senator and upstart Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders had about 27,000 New Yorkers feeling the Bern Wednesday at a rally in Washington Square Park that, at least visually, recalled Barack Obama’s 2008 foreign policy speech to a teeming throng in Berlin. But the rally was not without controversy, as one of the speakers, health care advocate Dr. Paul Song, delivered a profane speech in which he referenced frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and told the crowd they needed to stop electing Democratic “***”

And of course Bernie thanked him for the wonderful introduction once he took the stage.

Hey the truth hurts...
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 10:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Not what I'm saying.

Do you know what "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy is?

Seriously, that definition fits your argument like a glove.

Only if you want it to, and fail to understand where I am coming from.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 10:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

there are plenty of reasons why someone who normally sits on the right would take HRC or Bernie over Trump or Cruz.
I "may" support Clinton or Sanders because of Trump's rhetoric against Latinos in general (seriously, anyone who lives in South Texas knows that the Latino community are harder workers and honest people. Sure, you get some bad apples, but that proves that they are human, just like the rest of us!) and Cruz's craziness.

I will probably vote for whoever gets the nod just because, even with all of their faults, Trump/Cruz is still a better choice for this nation than Clinton/Sanders.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-15 10:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and you guys are taking alti's point way beyond the point of lunacy.

A conservative could obviously technically vote for Clinton or Sanders, but they would certainly not be voting for anything that propagates conservatism if they do.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 38 39 40