Teen Girl Kills Brother - Justfied Or Murder?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Teen girl kills brother - Justfied or murder?
Teen girl kills brother - Justfied or murder?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-09 13:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Police: Teen Girl Fatally Shot Brother Who Locked Her in Her Room

Authorities say a 15-year-old girl who was repeatedly locked in her room with just a blanket and a bucket fatally shot her 16-year-old brother this week in White Springs, Fla.

Police say the 16-year-old boy locked his sister in her room on Monday while their parents were out of town. After he fell asleep, the 15-year-old allegedly talked her 11-year-old sister into unlocking the door.

Police say the teen girl then broke into her parents' room through a window and used their pistol to fatally shoot her brother.

The teen girl had endured years of abuse, police say. According to police documents, their mother reported that they often locked their 15-year-old in her room, and their father said they had done so for up to 20 days straight. The room that they kept her in contained a blanket and a bucket filled with urine, police reported.

In 2010, the teen girl's uncle was convicted of molesting her. Then, in 2011, the girl's mother reportedly caught the siblings having sex. The teen girl had also tried to commit suicide in the past, but it was not reported to authorities.

Prosecutors are mulling whether to charge the 15-year-old girl and her 11-year-old sister as adults. Their parents also face child neglect charges.

Source
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-09 13:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, after physical, mental, and sexual abuse like that for so many years... i cant say i blame her for snapping.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-09 13:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If only someone helped her earlier. Going to be another burden for her to carry for life.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-01-09 13:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

She needs help, not imprisonment.
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-01-09 13:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Think this is a sad case of abuse going unreported for far too long and hitting a breaking point which resulted needlessly with death. Though I can imagine it being difficult to have the courage to report these incidents to the police while under the confines of family members and having it indoctrinated that you absolutely cannot betray family no matter what horrible things they do to you; especially at such a young age.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 13:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither girl should be tried as a child OR an adult, they should be put into long-term psychological care as soon as possible. The parents, however, probably deserve to be tried as the scum they are, and maybe some sort of accomplice charge or something similar in relation to their son's death, as they messed these kids up in the first place.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-09 13:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Neither girl should be tried as a child OR an adult, they should be put into long-term psychological care as soon as possible. The parents, however, probably deserve to be tried as the scum they are, and maybe some sort of accomplice charge or something similar in relation to their son's death, as they messed these kids up in the first place.

There's no way an accomplice charge would stick, but they should definitely be tried for abuse. The older girl should be given therapy and left out of prison, imo.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 13:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

There's no way an accomplice charge would stick, but they should definitely be tried for abuse.

Yeah. I kind of figured. I don't know, though. Charles Manson got convicted and sentenced to death (later commuted to a life sentence) for not officially killing anyone himself, so...I would think some sort of lesser charge could be made to stick on them.

Negligent homicide, maybe.
 Ragnarok.Leysritt
Server: Ragnarok
user: Leysritt
By Ragnarok.Leysritt 2015-01-09 13:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Justified.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-09 14:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Prosecutors are mulling whether to charge the 15-year-old girl and her 11-year-old sister as adults.

that statement is crazy, especially in the case of the 11 year old.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 14:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Prosecutors are mulling whether to charge the 15-year-old girl and her 11-year-old sister as adults.

If they actually charge these children -- even as children -- then the appropriate officials and/or coalition of voters in that area needs to bring the DA to task for it. Because bringing charges against these kids would be a mockery of justice.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-01-09 14:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously? Get them help, don't send them to jail.

Oh, Tidis already said that
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 14:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »

If they actually charge these children -- even as children -- then the appropriate officials and/or coalition of voters in that area needs to bring the DA to task for it. Because bringing charges against these kids would be a mockery of justice.

I think she has to be charged because it's murder in a non-life threatening situation. I don't know why they want to charge the 11yo girl unless she's the one who gave her the gun, doesn't make sense.

It doesn't mean she'll go to jail. Can't sentences be therapy or w/e in the US?

They don't have to be charged. At the very minimum a grand jury could choose not to prosecute (look at the Michael Brown case).

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 14:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't have to be charged. At the very minimum a grand jury could choose not to prosecute (look at the Michael Brown case).

But in the Michael Brown case it's because it was "qualified" (I have no opinion on the subject) as a life threatening situation no?

I'd say being chronically imprisoned by your parents could be considered life-threatening by a 15-year-old.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-09 14:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

But in the Michael Brown case it's because it was "qualified" (I have no opinion on the subject) as a life threatening situation no?

I'd say being chronically imprisoned by your parents could be considered life-threatening by a 15-year-old.
chronic imprisonment, extremely health-hazardous conditions, sexual abuse, etc. as she had legitimate reason to fear for her safety.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-09 14:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
She needs help, not imprisonment.

Honestly, If I had a Law Degree and passed the Bar Exam for the US, I'd help her out of this stupid situation for free... this is so wrong it's Seriously makes me want to bomb anyone in the US who actually thinks she should be prosecuted.

Screw ISIS, lets deal with your internal threats.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-09 14:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
chronic imprisonment, extremely health-hazardous conditions, sexual abuse, etc. as she had legitimate reason to fear for her safety.

The point was, she wasn't currently under a life threatening situation. If someone stabs you, you survive, if you see him walking peacefully down the street a month later, it doesn't give you the right to kill him.
The point is, that she WAS in a physically life threatening situation. Mentally and physically life-threatening, though in a different way than direct attack, although if you read, some situations caused direct life threatening situations.

She had escaped from confinement, while fearing for her life, she murdered her abusive brother.

This isn't a "month later" scenario. Quit being potato.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-09 14:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The point was, she wasn't currently under a life threatening situation. If someone stabs you, you survive, if you see him walking peacefully down the street a month later, it doesn't give you the right to kill him.

Arguable, due to the situation she was in, and the fact that she is not what you would call fully mature, then factor in the years of abuse having an effect on cognitive and normal psychological development, including maturity, it could be argued that she was an infant and any concept of right/wrong was never correctly instilled.

Furthermore if she felt trapped in this situation with no exit route, and felt the authorities (we don't know if this was reported and disregarded previously) failed to help her, then it is life or death, as she has no other means to make it end.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 14:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't give you a legal exuse to kill him.

I think having the "right" is a little shadier of territory.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 14:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

For all we know ISIS is an internal threat. Who knows how many brainwashed idiots in sleeper cells they have?
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-09 14:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, I might start coiinging the phrase "and Now your opinion means nothing to us".

I recon I could get as much use as Draylos "it's worth it"
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-09 14:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

For all we know ISIS is an internal threat. Who knows how many brainwashed idiots in sleeper cells they have?

I was more regarding attacking visible threats and getting rid of the idiots from your society first.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-09 14:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I was more regarding attacking visible threats and getting rid of the idiots from your society first.

Can't it be both?
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-09 14:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't it be both?
One Problem at a time!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-09 14:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

She should have shot the parents too