Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 972 973 974 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-09-25 10:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Jassik said: »
He always said, it's not how you get to work, it's what you do while you're there.

Journey > destination.

Counterpoint: my career, and the skills I learn as I advance it, are the journey I care about. Sitting on the freeway with a couple thousand other *** is not a journey I want any part of.

Well yeah.

But open freeway in a nice vehicle with great tunes on the radio? Or on a nice bike?

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Omael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-09-25 10:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

He always said, it's not how you get to work, it's what you do while you're there.

Journey > destination.

Counterpoint: my career, and the skills I learn as I advance it, are the journey I care about. Sitting on the freeway with a couple thousand other *** is not a journey I want any part of.

If you were on OTR trucker, you'd get to do both!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-25 10:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »

And you could piss off everyone else on the highway by driving too slow in the left lane!

And you could *** about the government ruining your livelihood with their safety regulations, when it's not the government at all, but rather your employer with ridiculously unrealistic expectations!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-25 10:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Some jobs are at least required to have a nice vehicle at all times, just to make the person/company look good.

Well no, see. That's still a problem and entirely unnecessary.

But that's the problem we're discussing.

An entitled society. In this case a wealthy class that thinks keeping up appearances with each other is worth throwing around money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong. It happens on a lesser level too.

See: every redneck who has forgone his child support for a month so he could straight pipe his F350 instead.
Um...welcome to human history?

Do you think that if society changed to the way you envision, the exact same thing that is happening now will not happen then?

What you are proposing is to alter humanity as a whole into something that we are not.....
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-25 10:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Journey > destination.

Or just flip over and spill thousands of pounds of sausage casings all over the goddamn freeway.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-09-25 10:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Journey > destination.

Well yeah.

But open freeway in a nice vehicle with great tunes on the radio? Or on a nice bike?

Still no. That time I would spend commuting? That's extra sleep, or extra relaxation, or extra time with the sprout+wife. Commuting is awful and I don't miss it at all. Whatever annoyances there are about working at home, they are a pittance compared to getting an hour+ of my day back.
 Bahamut.Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-09-25 10:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

And you could piss off everyone else on the highway by driving too slow in the left lane!

And you could *** about the government ruining your livelihood with their safety regulations, when it's not the government at all, but rather your employer with ridiculously unrealistic expectations!

Some states have laws against 18 wheelers driving in the left lane unless they're actually passing someone. For the rest, I'd just stop listening to AM radio and find a better company to work for. I had to do that a couple times before I retired.

Edit: "find" not "fight". thanks for nothing, "smart" phone.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-25 10:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Some jobs are at least required to have a nice vehicle at all times, just to make the person/company look good.

Well no, see. That's still a problem and entirely unnecessary.

But that's the problem we're discussing.

An entitled society. In this case a wealthy class that thinks keeping up appearances with each other is worth throwing around money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong. It happens on a lesser level too.

See: every redneck who has forgone his child support for a month so he could straight pipe his F350 instead.
Um...welcome to human history?

Do you think that if society changed to the way you envision, the exact same thing that is happening now will not happen then?

What you are proposing is to alter humanity as a whole into something that we are not.....

Yeah, you're right.

I'm proposing we be open, honest, kind, and forgo vanity.

Never gonna happen.

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-25 10:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks, next vacation you take, you should tour the country. Just randomly drive in any direction that doesn't require you a passport.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-25 10:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Journey > destination.

Well yeah.

Still no. That time I would spend commuting? That's extra sleep, or extra relaxation, or extra time with the sprout+wife. Commuting is awful and I don't miss it at all. Whatever annoyances there are about working at home, they are a pittance compared to getting an hour+ of my day back.

Meh. I'm not talking about commuting. I'm talking about traveling.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-09-25 10:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Journey > destination.

Or just flip over and spill thousands of pounds of sausage casings all over the goddamn freeway.

That's usually either a lack of experience driving with a full load, or lack of sleep/distraction. On the plus side, free casings is always nice.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-25 10:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Traveling is always great. I'm planning on actually going to the Rockies next vacation I manage to get.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-25 10:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Journey > destination.

Well yeah.

*triggered* The word traveling is now associated with sovereign citizens.

"Lemme see your license and registration."
"Officer, I'm traveling, not driving."
*shenanigans ensue*
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-09-25 10:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Wake up to see Boehner is resigning!? Wow, its going to be a great day, I can tell!

Idk...it seems kind of empty and hollow without any tar and feathers...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-25 10:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Traveling is always great. I'm planning on actually going to the Rockies next vacation I manage to get.

My neck of the woods, eh? Lots of good ski resorts around if you're into that kind of thing.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-09-25 10:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks, next vacation you take, you should tour the country. Just randomly drive in any direction that doesn't require you a passport.

I did that in my twenties, actually. Just drove around for a month. Wasn't even entirely a vacation, as laptop+dial up internet was still a thing, even way back then. I can't imagine how much easier that would be now, with cellphone tethering and such.

That's different than buying a high end car for everyday use, which was the original topic, I thought. I'm just not a gearhead I guess, because I'm fine even on long drives in mediocre to low-end cars. Reminds me of my youth.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-25 10:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Wake up to see Boehner is resigning!? Wow, its going to be a great day, I can tell!

Idk...it seems kind of empty and hollow without any tar and feathers...

There's still time. Get in the car.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-25 10:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I did that in my twenties, actually. Just drove around for a month. Wasn't even entirely a vacation, as laptop+dial up internet was still a thing, even way back then. I can't imagine how much easier that would be now, with cellphone tethering and such.
That's not a vacation though!

I'm talking about being fully disconnected, where the only time you check your email is when you arrive at your hotel/motel.

When I went on my "super awesome around half the country and Canada" road trip last year, I told everyone at the office "here's my cellphone number, but don't call me unless the office is on fire."

I only got bugged once. They lit my trashcan on fire. I was pissed when I got back and saw that they actually did light my trashcan....
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-09-25 10:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking about being fully disconnected, where the only time you check your email is when you arrive at your hotel/motel.

That's what the Big Island is for, and we don't drive there.

We used to go every year for our anniversary, and that'll resume once the sprout is old enough to spend a week+ with a rotating cast of grandparents.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-09-25 10:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

blah blah blah blah.

Take it RT jack kerouac!

reported for off topic / spam
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-25 10:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I would say going to an island for a short while is overrated, but then again, I did live in Japan for a year....
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-25 10:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you just tossed out Hawaii and I'm browsing the vacation circuit, which island is the 'ideal' spot to visit? I like avoiding too the touristy traps but I don't exactly want to be in someones neighborhood either.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-25 10:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Funny you mention pesky gov't when Volkswagen was caught cheating on their emissions exams which directly duped customers into buying diesel cars that weren't as efficient as advertised.

DAMN YOU GOVERNMENT, YOU MADE VOLKSWAGEN DO THIS.

Oh no! Not more emmissions! You can be sure that if I ever get cancer in the future I'll claim to be a victim of Volkswagen's toxic cheating!

(Who cares!)

So as a consumer you like being lied to by companies when you're trying to make an informed decision? You know, like the main reason you'd buy a diesel car...

I know that when I go buy a car the very most important thing I look for is how much emissions it pumps out.

<sarcasm>
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-09-25 10:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
blah blah blah blah.

Take it RT jack kerouac!

reported for off topic / spam

Sorry, I got off script for a moment.

Filthy conservatives and/or liberals!!!

THERE, HAPPY NOW
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-25 11:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately?

I'm glad that they were caught and are being punished for it. While I'm not a big fan of the EPA, there are guidelines that I think everyone should follow, especially for the environment.

I think that they should be fined even more for intent of bypassing regulations, to be honest. Fraud is not something to be taken lightly.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-25 11:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

My only gripe about this whole thing is that EPA should have been the one to catch them, not the watchdog group that actually did catch them.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-09-25 11:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

THERE, HAPPY NOW

nope, reported for hostility.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-25 11:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

My only gripe about this whole thing is that EPA should have been the one to catch them, not the watchdog group that actually did catch them.

And the SEC should have caught Madoff but it took a financial crisis to reveal the fraud. I'm glad that someone finally caught people intentionally trying to defraud customers.
First Page 2 3 ... 972 973 974 ... 1375 1376 1377