Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 674 675 676 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-06-17 17:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard Dr. Seuss was big into lesbians. But they may just be something I made up...to prove a point !

From my personal experience this image is true:

Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-17 17:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I heard Dr. Seuss was big into lesbians. But they may just be something I made up...to prove a point !

You don't want to know what Green Eggs & Ham is a metaphor for.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-17 17:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Let me guess it involves a butt-cheek ?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-17 18:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me guess it involves a butt-cheek ?

And somebody named Sam.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-17 18:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Ramyrez said: »
The problem is you have no clue what actually benefits teens

neither does anyone else....

please show me one example of a well adjusted, properly educated, emotionally un-scarred, American Teenager.
/raises hand.gif
Some years later, anyway.

exactly....

Mr. Ran away all the way to freaky deaky denmark....you turned out great thank the gods we invested everything in you

we're reaping the whirlwind! holds up buckets to catch gold raining down
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-18 03:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Best advice ever, and it comes out of Italy no less.

Quote:
Italian hedge fund star Davide Serra told a married female New York Times reporter that the advice he gives to his friends is to "never, ever marry an American woman."

From The Times:

"Never, ever marry an American woman. That’s the advice I give my friends."

It may seem an odd way to start an interview, especially one with a female American reporter who is married, but Davide Serra, an Italian hedge fund manager based here in London, is not one to opine gently, or particularly carefully.

According to The Times, Serra finds that American women are too demanding.
ITALIAN HEDGE FUNDER: 'Never, ever marry an American woman'
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-18 04:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hold onto your Hamiltons, they're gonna be collector items in a few years.

Quote:
For the first time in more than a century, a woman’s face will appear on an American bill.

The Treasury Department announced Wednesday it will replace the main image of its own founder, Alexander Hamilton, on the $10 bill, with a woman as yet to be determined. Mr. Hamilton will remain on the bill in a diminished way.

The currency will be unveiled in 2020, the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote. The last woman to appear on a bill was Martha Washington, in the late 19th century.

Americans will have the summer to weigh in on which one of history’s leading ladies they think should have the honor. There is no list of successors, but names frequently mentioned include Eleanor Roosevelt, abolitionist Harriet Tubman, civil-rights icon Rosa Parks and Wilma Mankiller, who served as principal chief of the Cherokee Nation.

“It’s very important to be sending the signal of how important it is to recognize the role that women have played in our national life and in our national history for a very long time, really from the beginning,” Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said in an interview Wednesday. “This is a symbolic representation of that but symbols are important.”

Mr. Lew said he “will be announcing a decision later in the year. Then we will go into production.”

The decision to overshadow Mr. Hamilton, the first treasury secretary and a chief architect of the nation’s financial system, is part of a scheduled redesign of the $10 bill. The Legal Tender Act of 1862 gives the Treasury Department broad powers to design U.S. currency.

Displacing Mr. Hamilton isn’t the first choice for some.

A group called Women On 20s has urged President Barack Obama to replace President Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with a woman. Organizers sent a petition to the White House last month calling for the change.

Respondents to their online poll chose Ms. Tubman for the slot.

Mr. Lew, however, said the $10 bill already was the next up for a redesign, making it the most practical vehicle for the symbolic portrait change.

Mr. Jackson may have been seen as more easily replaced. As the nation’s seventh president, he led a successful campaign to kill off the nation’s central bank and stridently argued against the dangers of a paper currency, which he said concentrated too much power in the hands of bankers.

But federal agencies in 2013 recommended starting with the $10 bill as part of a broader currency redesign that will include tactile features for the blind and visually impaired. Currency officials said they selected it because it is widely used in commerce.

‎”While it might not be the twenty dollar bill, make no mistake, this is a historic announcement and a big step forward,” said Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D., N.H.). “Young girls across this country will soon be able to see an inspiring woman on the ten dollar bill who helped shape our country into what is today and know that they too can grow up and do something great for their country.”

Mr. Obama raised the idea of putting a woman on American currency during an economic speech in Kansas City last July. A girl wrote him a letter asking why there wasn’t a woman on U.S. currency, he said, “which I thought was a pretty good idea.”
Alexander Hamilton to Share Image on $10 Bill With a Woman
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-18 06:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A woman on a 10 dollar bill. What has the world come to !
By fonewear 2015-06-18 06:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard Monica Lewinsky will be on the 10 dollar bill holding up a blue dress !
By fonewear 2015-06-18 06:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Global Warming 100% confirmed ! (by the Pope no less)

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/pope-issues-environmental-message-authoritative-document-31852656

TLDR: The pope is a climate expert just ask him about it.

Pope Francis released his much-anticipated teaching document on the environment Thursday, declaring an urgent need for the political and spiritual conversion of global leaders and individuals to dedicate themselves to curbing climate change and ending policies and personal habits that destroy creation.

The document, or encyclical, titled "Laudato Si" (Praise Be), captured world attention well before its release.

Here are some questions and answers on the significance of the document:

Q: What is an encyclical?

A: An encyclical is one of the highest forms of teaching from a pope as he interprets Catholic doctrine. The word encyclical, from the Greek word for circle, means "circular letter. Among the better-known encyclicals are "Humane Vitae," the 1968 document on church teaching against artificial contraception, and "Pacem in Terris," on Christian views of human rights, liberty and peace issued by St. John XXIII in 1963, after the Cuban missile crisis.

Q. Has the environment been the subject of previous encyclicals?

A. No, although previous popes have proclaimed a moral and spiritual duty to protect the environment.

Q: Are Catholics obliged to follow what the document says?

A: The duty to accept what the pope teaches in "Laudato Si" was much debated months before it was made public, especially among political conservatives and libertarians in the church who reject mainstream climate science or Francis' views on the economy. Richard Gaillardetz, a Boston College theologian, said Catholics are bound to follow the basic church dogma and social teaching in the document, including those regarding creation and care for the poor. The pope's call for action based on those teachings also carries "substantial doctrinal authority," Gaillardetz said. Catholics could disagree with a specific policy proposal if they believed an alternative would more effectively fulfill church teaching, but "they could not dismiss the moral imperative" to act on climate change, Gaillardetz said.

Q: Is the document just for Catholics?

A: Encyclicals are usually addressed to Catholic clergy and lay people, but the documents can have a wider influence. Francis clearly framed "Laudato Si" to have a very broad reach. He quotes Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, the spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox Christians, who is known as the "green patriarch" for urging believers to make conservation an integral part of their faith. At the end of the encyclical, Francis includes two new prayers for creation: one for Christians and another for non-Christians.

Q: What happens to the document after it's released?

A: In most cases, encyclicals have a short public shelf-life, becoming topics of internal church debates and theological dissertations far from notice by the wider world. This encyclical could be different. The pope has said he hopes the document will influence the U.N. end-of-year climate talks in Paris, and he's expected to raise the issue when he addresses the U.N. General Assembly in September. Bishops, priests and Catholic environmentalists around the world are planning sermons and public events to draw attention to the document, hoping to shape public policy and persuade people to change their behavior.
By fonewear 2015-06-18 07:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

When further questioned the Pope was quoted to say: "If you don't believe in global warming the terrorists win" Further asked to clarify. He said "You are either with the climate scientists or with the Republicans heathens that deny it." Then a reporter said he yelled "Baba booey" over and over like in a trance.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-18 07:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't wait for the first person who uses the Pope's stance as proof of global warming.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-18 07:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

And on the seventh day the Pope came down from the mountain to decree. "Global warming is real let the words ring round the world"!
By fonewear 2015-06-18 07:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

According to a fact I just made up: 9 out of 10 religions believe in global warming. The only one that doesn't is the church of climate deniers.

This also proves that science and religion are united at last. And it feels so good !
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-18 08:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The First Church of Progressive Liberal Thought, Hyper Sexuality and Global Warming...aka public schoosl in america.
has believed it, preached it and uses old testament style sermons to scare the bejezzus out of school children....

NSFW
Huffpo GO!!!!!

religion is bad, send your kids to public school!
By Ramyrez 2015-06-18 08:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Man. Kids get molested at school, at church, at home...

Maybe send them to prison. Seems like enough people in prison were so abused as kid that the one thing most of them seem to agree on is that child molesters need to be shanked. Kids might be safe there.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-18 08:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Prison turns you gay! -ben carson
By Ramyrez 2015-06-18 09:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh right. I forgot about that.

Which, even if it were true (hint: it's a bunch of ***), being in a consensual gay relationship as an adult is clearly is as bad as being diddled by mommy/Father Frank/Mr. Thomas.

So, uh.

Just have an abortion, I guess. Because kids aren't safe anywhere.

Edit: Semi-related, but how the hell does a brilliant neurosurgeon get so *** up in the head? I blame a combination of religious indoctrination and old-age addlemindedness.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-18 09:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Edit: Semi-related, but how the hell does a brilliant neurosurgeon get so *** up in the head? I blame a combination of religious indoctrination and old-age addlemindedness.

Just human stupidity.

Fair enough. I work with enough MDs to know that just because you're good with medicine doesn't mean you have a clue about anything else. It just strikes a certain level of cognitive dissonance with me.

I do, however, enjoy one of the older doctors I work with. He's from India originally, and has been in the U.S. for many, many years and speaks English wonderfully, but still gets hung up on slang. He goes to my gym too, and he flags me down at the gym the other day and asks, "today, someone said to me that something was a '...bummer?'...what is a 'bummer'?"
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-18 09:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, you don't have to blame it on anything. I've had enough facepalm moments with "geniuses" to know that high-education in one field doesn't always translate to other facets of education or even life in general.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-18 09:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

his train of thought derailed as it was carrying flaming hazardous cargo to stupidville.

he isn't a politician, lawyer or an insurance salesman perhaps that is why he lacks the instinctual/inner dialogue that tells you to stfu when his brain has diarrhea.

he should just drop out now, a good reporter is going to open him up like a can of miller lite...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-18 09:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
a good reporter is going to open him up like a can of miller lite...

Good reporters don't drink Miller Lite.

Bad reporters for The Armpit of Nowhere Daily Press drink Miller Lite (or Coors Light. Because silver bullets are, apparently, the beer of choice for Nowhereville, USA).
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-18 09:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

What are these "good reporters" you speak of? I've heard of them, but good reporter sightings are even rarer than Bigfoot sightings.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-18 09:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What are these "good reporters" you speak of? I've heard of them, but good reporter sightings are even rarer than Bigfoot sightings.

We rarely work in journalism anymore. Mostly anyone in the field at all works in PR now, because compromising your integrity for a big payday is one thing, compromising it for $30k/year and *** for benefits at a paper that mostly cares about advertising revenue from Bill's Hot Car Lot isn't going to cut it.

Or you're like me and just used that degree to wedge your foot into the door of another industry and showed them you're good at doing what you put your mind to accomplishing, you just made a bad decision in what you put your mind to the first time around.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-18 09:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

And with that said, I'm hoping that TMZ responds to my resume. I could really use that celebrity gossip blogger job.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-18 10:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

In my defense, my father is a photojournalist and I do write pretty well. It was a natural selection for a career...

If I had been born about 50 years earlier.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-18 10:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Cerberus.Laconic said: »
I've shown proof that kids are being taught that. Then I said that is why the hard right would prefer to teach nothing because the hard left cannot be happy with comprise!

I claim people put words in my mouth because they actually do! rofl.
Your post is the perfect example!
Wait what?
Being taught things that exist, exist, isn't a compromise. It's what we like to call reality.
The problem is that reality has a strong liberal bias.

Which is why Republicans have a strong anti reality bias.

Odin.Jassik said: »
So, teaching children about sex is far left?
No. Teaching children is far left.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-18 10:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the levity was fun while it lasted.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 674 675 676 ... 1375 1376 1377