Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 654 655 656 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-06-10 15:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
President Obama to boost army advisers in Iraq

Oh look, Obama and Iraq decided that the problem was a lack of training after all.
What they need is more civics books to teach the ways of democracy.
I originally read this as "they need more Honda civics", then read it aloud, and went "WTF... that can't be right" and read it again.

But they do sadly need more Honda Civics have you seen their cars !
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-10 15:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Tact shouldn't be policed.
In theory, yes. However, tact is lost on many people today.

True, but what damage are they actually doing by kissing in a public park? My eyes are in my head, which I can easily point in 300+ degrees of direction that don't contain those people.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 15:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »

Oh look, Obama and Iraq decided that the problem was a lack of training after all.
What they need is more civics books to teach the ways of democracy.
I originally read this as "they need more Honda civics", then read it aloud, and went "WTF... that can't be right" and read it again.
Civics books for everyone!

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 15:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

True, but what damage are they actually doing by kissing in a public park? My eyes are in my head, which I can easily point in 300+ degrees of direction that don't contain those people.
If you're not hanging out with them or they haven't invited you to hang out with them (for clarification), then it really doesn't matter.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-10 15:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

At middle school age I was in high school and FAR more interested in horses than boys.

Well, math and science too.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-10 15:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

?
Quote:
President Obama made the decision following a request from Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi, it said.
It's the second sentence in the article.

Yes... hence why I said "Obama and Iraq". It's the third through fifth words of my sentence.
It's a bit of a jump to say that requesting (or responding to a request for training) is deciding that the problem is lack of training.
It could just as simply be:
Request> "We want whatever help you can give us"
Response> "We can only send trainers and advisers"
Request> "Would you please send us trainers and advisers"
Response> "Make it so"
By fonewear 2015-06-10 15:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This is long but this is an excellent article about bros and their culture:

http://www.vice.com/read/this-american-bro-an-ethological-study
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-10 15:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Anecdotal, but I think there was more interest in finding an identity in the realm of "girly-dom" from ages eleven to thirteen that gradually falls away as you reach a level of comfort/affirmation with yourself. That level of comfort ends up being the cue to return to/rediscover your prior hobbies/interests or expand them. I think it happens at different ages with different girls, maybe in different atmospheres among different peers?

I can't think of too many girls who reached high school that were overly enthusiastic about and emphasized use make-up and constantly preening. I remember there being more "So-and-so is cute!" and passing notes with boys in middle school than anything else. Then again, I graduated in a class just a hair under 150 where most of us all knew each other from extracurriculars from early-childhood on. Maybe we all knew each other enough not to give a flying ***, given the span of time we all interacted with each other made us all overly comfortable with each other (guys and gals alike)?

I think I need to backread to see what all this hub-bub is about.

This was my experience, as well. You went through the "boy crazy" stage in middle school. By high school there was a lot more stuff to do and having to be at school by 7:00am changed how much time you spent prepping.

Not that this didn't happen, but it wasn't the norm.

Retrospectively thinking, the entire "boy crazy" phase was egged on by being around other girls, in a way. "Oh, wait! I'm suppose to be investing myself with boys now? She says so-and-so likes me, and we were playing baseball in the field behind the neighborhood last year? This is what I'm suppose to do now, I guess?" I think that was the most awkward age.

Better slap on that glitter eyeshadow (as if you know what the Hell you're doing)! In ten to fifteen years when you stumble on those pictures you're going to have a hearty laugh!

Same. Sleep is a valuable thing once you officially hit your teens. To Hell with morning preening! It became more about practicality to me also in HS. You may get there at 7:00 AM, but when all is said and done after extracurriculars, you might not get out until 5:00 PM.
Kara and I were just commiserating about our relative HS schedules.
I know for me, it was regularly that I would be at school for assembly at 0730, and not back home until about 2200-2300.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-10 15:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're not hanging out with them or they haven't invited you to hang out with them (for clarification), then it really doesn't matter.

No, just random people in public places.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 15:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No, just random people in public places.
Yeah that's fine, I don't really care about that.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-10 16:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

President Obama to boost army advisers in Iraq Oh look, Obama and Iraq decided that the problem was a lack of training after all.
?
Quote:
President Obama made the decision following a request from Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi, it said.
Yes... hence why I said "Obama and Iraq". It's the third through fifth words of my sentence.
It's a bit of a jump to say that requesting (or responding to a request for training) is deciding that the problem is lack of training.
It could just as simply be:
Request> "We want whatever help you can give us"
Response> "We can only send trainers and advisers"
Request> "Would you please send us trainers and advisers" Response> "Make it so"

There comes a point where it looks like you're disagreeing with me just for the sake of disagreeing. It's not that big of a jump to go from "We're sending trainers to Iraq" to "Iraq admits it needs more training."

/letitgo.gif yada yada
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-10 16:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

President Obama to boost army advisers in Iraq Oh look, Obama and Iraq decided that the problem was a lack of training after all.
?
Quote:
It's a bit of a jump to say that requesting (or responding to a request for training) is deciding that the problem is lack of training. It could just as simply be: Request> "We want whatever help you can give us" Response> "We can only send trainers and advisers" Request> "Would you please send us trainers and advisers" Response> "Make it so"

There comes a point where it looks like you're disagreeing with me just for the sake of disagreeing. It's not that big of a jump to go from "We're sending trainers to Iraq" to "Iraq admits it needs more training."

/letitgo.gif yada yada

Then, why phrase it dishonestly specifically as an attack on Obama?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-10 16:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down, Defend-o-bots. By sending trainers, it is clear that Obama recognized that their previous training was insufficient. Anything that you want to construe from my statement beyond that is all on you.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 16:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I read as both parties (Western installed Iraqi government and the U.S., whose current leader is Obama) are just doing more of the same thing and expecting different results. But that's just me.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-10 16:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I read as both parties (Western installed Iraqi government and the U.S., whose current leader is Obama) are just doing more of the same thing and expecting different results. But that's just me.

What is insanity?

I'll take Potent Potables for 200, Alex.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-10 16:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

What is insanity reelecting Obama. That's insanity !
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-10 16:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down, Defend-o-bots. By sending trainers, it is clear that Obama recognized that their previous training was insufficient.
Actually, no. That's an assumption that you make, determined by your bias.

It is clear that the US (e.g. Obama) recognized that additional training by US advisers would assist Iraqi troops either directly or indirectly.

That is not the same thing as saying the previous (or even current) training is insufficient.

And it isn't even a matter of being an Obama apologist; the withdrawal from Iraq was negotiated by a previous president.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 16:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama could have easily decided to not withdraw or keep a certain number of troops there (as was discussed), rather than trying to take credit for ending involvement in Iraq.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-10 16:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly I've seen this in real life too much:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-06-10 16:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, back on Iraq again huh?
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-06-10 16:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like IS conquered its first libyan city, Sirte.

Anyone here heard if the information gotten by the US elite troops a month ago had any impact already on the financial flow of IS?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-10 16:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down, Defend-o-bots. By sending trainers, it is clear that Obama recognized that their previous training was insufficient.

It is clear that the US (e.g. Obama) recognized that additional training by US advisers would assist Iraqi troops either directly or indirectly.

That is not the same thing as saying the previous (or even current) training is insufficient.

And it isn't even a matter of being an Obama apologist; the withdrawal from Iraq was negotiated by a previous president.

My bad. I'll just make sure to draw conclusions based on evidence when it's a Republican so that you can be all for it. Apparently if it's not spelled out 100% it's not applicable to Obama.

On that note, also from the BBC:
Quote:
US officials believe a major factor in the fall of Ramadi was a lack of training of Iraqi forces.

Are you done now?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-10 16:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The Obama administration has asked a secret surveillance court to ignore a federal court that found bulk surveillance illegal and to once again grant the National Security Agency the power to collect the phone records of millions of Americans for six months.

The legal request, filed nearly four hours after Barack Obama vowed to sign a new law banning precisely the bulk collection he asks the secret court to approve, also suggests that the administration may not necessarily comply with any potential court order demanding that the collection stop.
By fonewear 2015-06-10 16:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad. I'll just make sure to draw conclusions based on evidence when it's a Republican so that you can be all for it. Apparently if it's not spelled out 100% it's not applicable to Obama.

Quote:
US officials believe a major factor in the fall of Ramadi was a lack of training of Iraqi forces.

Are you done now?

Rule number 3894

This is the internet no we are never done !
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-10 16:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad. I'll just make sure to draw conclusions based on evidence when it's a Republican so that you can be all for it.
By all means.
Apparently if it's not spelled out 100% it's not applicable to Obama.

Quote:

Are you done now?
Frankly, you'd have been better off looking into the NYT article right above that sentence, as it goes a bit further into the entire thing.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-10 16:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The Obama administration has asked a secret surveillance court to ignore a federal court that found bulk surveillance illegal and to once again grant the National Security Agency the power to collect the phone records of millions of Americans for six months.

The legal request, filed nearly four hours after Barack Obama vowed to sign a new law banning precisely the bulk collection he asks the secret court to approve, also suggests that the administration may not necessarily comply with any potential court order demanding that the collection stop.

Uhhhhhhh, I'm gonna have to read more about that one. Hypocrisy that obvious seems too stupid to be true.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-06-10 16:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The federal court order became irrelevant once Congress passed the new Freedom Act keeping the NSA in business.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-10 16:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhhhhhh, I'm gonna have to read more about that one. Hypocrisy that obvious seems too stupid to be true.

There's definitely subtext omitted, but Obama hasn't exactly been a champion of civil liberties, and it isn't a stretch to think his public platform would be different than his political or private one.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 16:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Looks like IS conquered its first libyan city, Sirte.

Anyone here heard if the information gotten by the US elite troops a month ago had any impact already on the financial flow of IS?
Wow, really?!

To the News! I have to read about this now. First I heard of it, I think.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 17:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Islamic State militants have seized a power plant west of the Libyan city of Sirte which supplies central and western parts of the country with electricity, the group and a military source said on Tuesday.

"The plant ... was taken," Islamic State said in a message on social media, adding that the capture of the plant meant that the militants had driven their enemies out of the entire city.

Forces loyal to the self-declared government that controls the capital Tripoli pulled out of the plant after Islamic State attacked it on Tuesday morning. Three soldiers were killed in the attack, the military source said.

Islamic State has exploited the general turmoil and security vacuum in Libya, where two governments are vying for power four years after the ousting of Muammar Gaddafi, to build up a presence in several cities.

The militants earlier this year captured most of Sirte, Gaddafi's home town, seizing the airport and driving a force loyal to the Tripoli government out to the city suburbs.

Since the start of the year militants in Libya loyal to Islamic State have claimed responsibility for killing dozens of Egyptian and Ethiopian Christians, as well attacks on Tripoli's luxury Corinthia hotel, embassies and oilfields.

Libya's internationally recognized government has been working out of the east of the country since losing control of Tripoli and western Libya in August.
Islamic State seizes power plant near Libyan city of Sirte
First Page 2 3 ... 654 655 656 ... 1375 1376 1377