Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 515 516 517 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 09:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
is vandalism a greater crime than 200 years of systematic oppression?

No. Absolutely not.

But that's really not the point.

Violence and destruction of the people you want to change their ways isn't going to work short of a complete civil war situation. And I don't think anyone (rational) wants that.

At this level, all this destruction and theft causes is resentment and division, causing those who may have been on the fence to look negatively upon you.

I, for one, have no problem believing that the police were wrong in the first place and roughed up a guy too much. (Not that he was without guilt in going into police custody in the first place, but that doesn't make his mistreatment okay.)

And I realize that the actions of the protesters and even, to an extent, some of those rioting are based on good intentions and wanting to change the system.

But all you're doing is causing the system to look inward, reflect on itself and -- because you've now cut yourself out of the process entirely by making yourself the enemy -- the only thing reflecting back on the system are those already in it, who now feel justified in what happened because "well, look! They're rioting!"

You have to understand I'm not endorsing any of this as the way it should be, but you can't make a change for non-violence by getting violent and destructive, especially of properties and people that aren't even of the government.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 09:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Wow, are we seriously going there? I'm sure I can find ancestors that were systematically oppressed, does that mean I can vandalize your house? If so, I'll be right over.
Since the Scots were systematically oppressed for far greater than 200 years, does that mean I get to wear a kilt when I riot?

<~1/32 Scottish by blood.
[+]
By volkom 2015-04-30 09:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm part native american. majority of people living in america oppressed my ancestors by living on land that was taken from us.

would that argument work?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 09:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
I, for one, have no problem believing that the police were wrong in the first place and roughed up a guy too much. (Not that he was without guilt in going into police custody in the first place, but that doesn't make his mistreatment okay.)
Even when evidence is presented that shows that the injury was self inflicted?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 09:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Wow, are we seriously going there? I'm sure I can find ancestors that were systematically oppressed, does that mean I can vandalize your house? If so, I'll be right over.

If you've got a drop of Irish blood in you, you've probably got a bone to pick with Olver ***' Cromwell and England.

That said, I advise you not to go try to raid Buckingham Palace.

Unless you're dressed as Batman, then it might work out, at least for a little while.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 10:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
i'm part native american. majority of people living in america oppressed my ancestors by living on land that was taken from us.

would that argument work?
Sure, you wear moccasins, I'll wear a kilt when we riot.

Want to riot in Austin or San Antonio? I know of a good Wing Stop we can riot some chicken wings!
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 10:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
i'm part native american. majority of people living in america oppressed my ancestors by living on land that was taken from us. would that argument work?

Yeah, man. Let's march down to the nearest small business and annex their land. It's only fair.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I'm making no absolute statements here. I also have no problem believing a criminal may have tried to exacerbate his own situation in order to see some sort of later benefit and accidentally injured himself taking it too far. I'm just saying that some officers -- not all, not even a majority, but some -- have histories of being far to rough on the wrong people. Or all of the people. Power goes to some people's heads. So I can see either scenario.

And neither calls for rioting, looting, destruction, and violence as a response.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I know of a good Wing Stop we can riot some chicken wings!

I stand corrected.

Free chicken wings might be a good reason to riot.

Or, at least, to loot while others are rioting.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 10:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm making no absolute statements here. I also have no problem believing a criminal may have tried to exacerbate his own situation in order to see some sort of later benefit and accidentally injured himself taking it too far. I'm just saying that some officers -- not all, not even a majority, but some -- have histories of being far to rough on the wrong people. Or all of the people. Power goes to some people's heads. So I can see either scenario.

And neither calls for rioting, looting, destruction, and violence as a response.
Fair enough.
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez begets more Ramyrez.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not normally a wing person, but I can appreciate looting a place for fantastic root beer and wings.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 10:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so we have somebody who's wearing a pair of moccasins to riot a Wing Stop, myself wearing a kilt, anyone else feel like annexing some chicken wings tonight? Preferably watching the Spurs beat the Clippers.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Ramyrez begets more Ramyrez.

No, in fact. He does not.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so we have somebody who's wearing a pair of moccasins to riot a Wing Stop, myself wearing a kilt, anyone else feel like annexing some chicken wings tonight? Preferably watching the Spurs beat the Clippers.

I'll also be kilted.

Do you actually own kilts?

If so we just found some more common ground we can use to stave off the parts we disagree about!

Wait, ***. Does this mean rioting did do something constructive?

8&)(*@^#$)&^(&*@^(&*#^!.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-04-30 10:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

all that is pretty easy to say from our air-conditioning, ergonomically designed office chairs, with full bellies, coffee, & our biggest problem is ramy is wrong & dumb on the internet.

around here I can drive 2 hours and be in damn near a third world country. I'd be a little pissed off too.

Violence and destruction of the people you want to change their ways isn't going to work short of a complete civil war situation. And I don't think anyone (rational) wants that.

rationality is a luxury some people can't afford.
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to break it down...

my bloodline is English, Irish, Scottish, French, like... 18 different Native American tribes, Metis (which is originally Native + French mix, but has been expanded to include native + European blood, but has systematically been oppressed by pure native blood members, and pure European blood), and some German blood.

My ancestors oppressed my ancestors.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

NYC riots are getting aggressive.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

all that is pretty easy to say from our air-conditioning, ergonomically designed office chairs, with full bellies, coffee, & our biggest problem is ramy is wrong & dumb on the internet too far away to buy us drinks and booze away our differences.*

around here I can drive 2 hours and be in damn near a third world country. I'd be a little pissed off too.

rationality is a luxury some people can't afford.

I see your point, but...what else is there? Chaos? As if that solves any of their problems? No. It only exacerbates.

*also, fixed it. C'mon man. Keep it up and you're not getting on my tab.
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Rationality doesn't exist on the internet.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, I forgot Welsh in my bloodline, since they seem to differentiate themselves from the English.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

My ancestors oppressed my ancestors.

Welcome to being a continental American.

I'm German, Swedish, Irish, English, French and like..."eastern European" (it was a very tumultuous time when my ancestors left the area).

So my ancestors all were fighting at some point and said "*** this...let's ***!"

1100 years later, Rammie!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-04-30 10:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I see your point, but...what else is there? Chaos? As if that solves any of their problems? No. It only exacerbates.

you've never been poor I take it. it's already chaos. it can't get worse. the most dangerous people are those with nothing to lose.

*sorry to use you for my example :P
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 10:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So, because I'm comfortable, I should be okay with uncomfortable people ruining the lives of other innocents?

"Hello, police? A man with a gun broke into my house!"
"Is he a minority?"
"Well, yes, but why does that matter?"
"We're sorry, sir. We can't help you. He's systematically oppressed and we have far larger, cultural issues to consider. Have a nice day."
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

you've never been poor I take it. it's already chaos. it can't get worse. the most dangerous people are those with nothing to lose.

I've never been poor in an urban environment.

So, while not entirely correct, your premise is still accurate I suppose.

Which is why I'm the "bleeding heart" that I am when it comes to these areas.

But convincing others that the best way to stop these kinds of things from happening is to help these areas is hard at the best of times, and practically impossible while riots are actively happening.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-04-30 10:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want any of you to be OK with it, I want you to understand it. we're all the same, barring our circumstances.
By Bloodrose 2015-04-30 10:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

*oppresses Ravael and Ramyrez because their monikers start with a letter other than "B"*
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to go full circle, but I think this is relevant to our interests, satire or otherwise.

Baltimore Residents Urged To Stay Indoors Until Social Progress Naturally Takes Its Course Over Next Century

Quote:
BALTIMORE—Calling it an emergency measure designed to ensure public safety and order, Baltimore officials held a press conference Wednesday urging all residents to stay indoors until the natural evolution of social progress takes shape over the next century. “Given the ongoing situation in our city, we ask that everyone remain within their homes for the next 10 or 12 decades while the various barriers to equality and opportunity for all people are slowly chipped away,” said Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, adding that, in addition to shutting down public schools and the transportation system, the city had canceled work for all nonessential government employees while they wait for the arrival of fully protected civil rights and liberties expected sometime in the 22nd century. “As we continue to incrementally evolve into a completely free and fair society over the next 100 years, please do not venture outside unless it is absolutely necessary. Those who go out onto our streets before our social, economic, and political structures have undergone gradual reform over the course of several generations are doing so at their own risk.” Rawlings-Blake then encouraged residents to visit the city’s website for further information regarding what to do as they await the year 2115.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 10:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

*oppresses Ravael and Ramyrez because their monikers start with a letter other than "B"*

Monikerist bigot!
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 10:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want any of you to be OK with it, I want you to understand it. we're all the same, barring our circumstances.

I understand wanting change. I understand being willing to fight for it.

I don't understand* those who take that willingness to fight and manipulate it into situations that help literally no one and only hurt others. They are literally blocking the changes they want to see by perpetuating negative mindsets with their actions.

*Again, figuratively. I understand that some people are just influential shitheads.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 515 516 517 ... 1375 1376 1377