Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 186 187 188 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-07 08:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile some fearmongering here on the news "Italy and Spain will be next, the islamists are coming to get us waaaa" (paraphrasing).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 08:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Can you read? It's not what Senkyu said.

You know what, you are correct. When I saw
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
It's like they don't even understand that they're shitting on the Muslims living in France with what they did.
I automatically thought that Senkyuutai was still talking about conservatives (as that is what he was talking about at the start) and didn't think he changed the topic to the radicals.

I apologize.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-07 08:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

They put more security around the guy from Sweden that drew the same drawings as they did. I would fear for my life if I was a journalist that did anything against Mahomet in the past decade.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 09:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

They put more security around the guy from Sweden that drew the same drawings as they did. I would fear for my life if I was a journalist that did anything against Mahomet in the past decade.
I wouldn't.

They can't target everyone who's ever targeted or made fun of their "god"
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-07 09:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Took them 8 years for those. Do you think anyone is safe considering the circumstances?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 09:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering that a majority of planned attacks do not get carried out because of police and intelligence collaborating on the international stage, I would say that it is still safe to believe whatever you want about people.
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-07 13:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Even the Bible says do not make images of GOD. It doesn't matter who or what your GOD is, don't make images of that god or GOD. Especially not to worship them.

Exodus 20: 4
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:"

Leviticus 26:1
"Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your GOD."

This is a known issue, so why provoke a conflict with them on purpose?

Proverbs 17: 19
"19 He loveth transgression that loveth strife: and he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction."

(transgression = sin)
(exalting your gate = speak boastfully)

The Word of GOD is true even if you don't believe in GOD.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-07 13:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Denmark
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-07 13:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure what you're getting at, Endoq. Muhammed isn't their god.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-07 13:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Even the Bible says do not make images of GOD. It doesn't matter who or what your GOD is, don't make images of that god or GOD. Especially not to worship them.

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:"
So don't draw worms or fish?
That doesn't seem a bit odd to you?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-07 13:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

We're also in a community for a video game that has depictions of countless gods from various cultures. If you have issues with graven images of any gods whatsoever, Final Fantasy is not the game series for you.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 13:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva anyone?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-07 13:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
We're also in a community for a video game that has depictions of countless gods from various cultures. If you have issues with graven images of any gods whatsoever, Final Fantasy is not the game series for you.

But those are just myths!

Actually, Final Fantasy as a series is pretty anti-religion. As are many other JRPGs. X, Tactics and XII immediately come to mind.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-07 13:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Actually, Final Fantasy as a series is pretty anti-religion. As are many other JRPGs. X, Tactics and XII immediately come to mind,
/waits for the rest of the comment....
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-07 13:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, Final Fantasy as a series is pretty anti-religion. As are many other JRPGs. X, Tactics and XII immediately come to mind,

Not all of the games are, but I see your point. I've noticed quite a bit of that in XIV as well.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-07 13:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, goodie, the nutjob is spreading her nonsense everywhere today.

And, yeah, JRPGs in general are about killing deity. Dragon Quest VII comes particularly to mind in that you meet God, who looks suspiciously like what the Judeo-Christian one tends to be represented as, engage him in battle, and effectively depose him.

However, that's not exactly "anti-religion." Plenty of religions have stories about deposing or killing deity. It just happens that the religions about death (the religions of the book, the Zoroastrian inheritors, the desert religions --- you know, the big three that are at the heart of why so many people despise religion) avoid those myths. Except, you know, when they're cribbing from the book of Osiris and calling him Yeshua.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-07 14:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not only JRPGs but generally deities are questioned and opposed on a relatively frequent basis across the genre if they aren't killed by a team of misfits with attitude. Most deities are portrayed as arrogant, uncaring, selfish, destructive tyrants hellbent on keeping power at any cost. Even the 'good' deities often see their adherents as merely pawns or pets to keep close only as long as they remain obedient or useful.

The whole storytelling angle is anti-religion in the sense that most of the monotheistic West views religion as corrupt lot of men vs. a perfect, all-powerful deity. What really goes for the throat of the monotheists is the idea that men should be free to choose their own destiny, free of interference. If you look at any polythestic outfit however....nothing new.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-07 14:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not only JRPGs but generally deities are questioned and opposed on a relatively frequent basis across the genre if they aren't killed by a team of misfits with attitude. Most deities are portrayed as arrogant, uncaring, selfish, destructive tyrants hellbent on keeping power at any cost. Even the 'good' deities often see their adherents as merely pawns or pets to keep close only as long as they remain obedient or useful.

The whole storytelling angle is anti-religion in the sense that most of the monotheistic West views religion as corrupt lot of men vs. a perfect, all-powerful deity. What really goes for the throat of the monotheists is the idea that men should be free to choose their own destiny, free of interference. If you look at any polythestic outfit however....nothing new.

I forgot Dissidia in that list of anti-religion games. Anywho, I honestly think that the bolded part is more a result of what mainstream Christianity has become, not necessarily what it was designed to be. The "take my word for it and do what I say" mindset of a lot of religious leaders does more harm than good.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-07 14:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The "take my word for it and do what I say" mindset of a lot of religious leaders does more harm than good.
Uh... you do know that the Roman Catholic Church resisted teaching literacy to people exactly so as to promote this? One of Martin Luther's big things was that lay people should read and interpret the Bible as they see fit. And that's just been an unequivocal success, too.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-07 14:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
The "take my word for it and do what I say" mindset of a lot of religious leaders does more harm than good.
Uh... you do know that the Roman Catholic Church resisted teaching literacy to people exactly so as to promote this? One of Martin Luther's big things was that lay people should read and interpret the Bible as they see fit. And that's just been an unequivocal success, too.

Um, yeah, I knew that. I'm not sure what about my comment made you think I didn't. I'm clearly opposed to such methods.

Edit: Hold on, I think I know where you were going with that. No, I don't consider Catholicism to be the original Christianity. I think so much had happened by the time the church began that a lot of the original teachings were already lost (or changed on purpose to suit the clergy).
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-07 15:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The Church began on Simon Peter the Rock. It's not like someone read a biography of Yeshua ben Yosef 500 years after the fact and said, "Y'know, I think I'll start worshipping this dude."

But you really must have missed my point. Martin Luther tried to correct the problem and it just created a host of other problems. Whether blindly following the elders (which is a Jewish thing, by the way, it predates Christ -- actually, it's probably from ancient Persia and further into prehistory, but point is that it is a lot older than the Church) or making ***up as you go along, Christianity's track record is rather bloody. As is true of most religions and even those without religious convictions. So perhaps we remove deity from the equation and say, "Humans are vicious beasts."
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-07 15:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
The Church began on Simon Peter the Rock. It's not like someone read a biography of Yeshua ben Yosef 500 years after the fact and said, "Y'know, I think I'll start worshipping this dude."

But you really must have missed my point. Martin Luther tried to correct the problem and it just created a host of other problems. Whether blindly following the elders (which is a Jewish thing, by the way, it predates Christ -- actually, it's probably from ancient Persia and further into prehistory, but point is that it is a lot older than the Church) or making ***up as you go along, Christianity's track record is rather bloody. As is true of most religions and even those without religious convictions. So perhaps we remove deity from the equation and say, "Humans are vicious beasts."

I disagree with the notion that Peter was the first Pope, or that he passed down any authority from himself to anyone else before he was martyred. Honestly, without direct revelation or a prophet, any claim to being the "one true church" is lost regardless of the method despite the claims being made by so many friggin' churches, so I agree with your Martin Luther point.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-07 17:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Bloodrose 2015-01-07 18:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I am the One True Religion. I wake up, pray to myself (with a 50/50 success rate - I either do what I prayed to me for, or I don't) and live as I see fit to do, without the direct or intentional harming of others or other creatures. Praise be upon Me.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-07 18:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
I am the One True Religion. I wake up, pray to myself (with a 50/50 success rate - I either do what I prayed to me for, or I don't) and live as I see fit to do, without the direct or intentional harming of others or other creatures. Praise be upon Me.

Sounds suspiciously like George Carlin praying to Joe Pesci...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-08 18:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The US military said Thursday it will close a major air base in Britain and withdraw from 14 other installations across Europe as part of a reorganization of forces to save money.

The "consolidation" will save the US government about $500 million a year and not diminish American military power, Pentagon officials said, but the move prompted disappointment in Britain and anger in Portugal over the potential economic effect of the scaled-back presence.

The closure of bases and various outposts over the next several years will likely reduce the current contingent of 67,000 American forces in Europe by only about 1,200 troops, a defense official told AFP.
US scaling back bases in Europe in cost-cutting move
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-08 20:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »

So don't draw worms or fish?
That doesn't seem a bit odd to you?
Don't draw them for the purpose of worship.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-01-09 16:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Good evening,
With the situation in Paris overshadowing Nigeria... were the 2000 deaths in Baga by Boko Haram confirmed/corrected by now?
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-01-09 16:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What about this then

First Page 2 3 ... 186 187 188 ... 1375 1376 1377