Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 179 180 181 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-30 14:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
you can't live life afraid. safety, even in pennsylvania, is merely an illusion, grasshopper.

Anywhere for that matter, i agree to this.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-30 14:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Why do you think Japan is the best place to live other than it being a beautiful place?
People are generally nicer there than in most places in the world (not including Texas, but then again, Texans are kinder to Texans than they are towards people from out of state).

Mainly I'm attracted to oriental culture more than American culture.

The public transport system is 100x better than most of America (in NYC, I would only say 2x better, as NYC has an outstanding transport system).

The rural areas are much cleaner than the rural areas in the states.

I like the mountains instead of the plains.

The temples in Japan are much nicer than any religious center in America, and more open to people to visit.

The way of life is healthier there than here.

Businesses are actually stronger in Japan, even though the work-life is better in America than Japan.

It's all a personal preference.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-30 14:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

But that's only comparing the US against Japan.

If you take the entire world and compare it to each other, every country (in my opinion) has a stronger and weaker aspect against each other.

But like I said, it's all a personal preference.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-30 14:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree personal preference Kingnobody.

To the first thing you mentioned about " people are generally nicer".

There is a lot of places in the U.S the same way. No one State is the same or region. When i moved from Ohio to Connecticut it was night and day difference. The attitude was vastly different people seemed more to themselves folks who i talked to want to move out of CT a lot. Which shocked me but i understood. Because of high taxes, it is insane about the property differences of CT to Ohio. The house my wife and i live in is roughly a quarter of a million dollars. I almost puked about the price difference. Because i had the same size house and a bigger garage in Ohio for roughly 30k and more property and hands down less taxes.

The public transportation system you mentioned.

That is what the U.S needs a lot to catch up to some nations around the world. Do you realize how many more jobs we would have today if we invested in upgrading our Infrastructure and transportation in all 50 states?

You mentioned liking mountains instead of plains.
If you live in Texas my friend your in a good spot to put your finger on our country's map and choose which mountains you want to live by. I'm not a fan of dormant volcanoes myself but mountains i agree are beautiful.

You said there way of life was healthier then here in the U.S.
Again you choose the way you want to live your life. Your body is your own, but we find regulations happening more in the U.S to limit independent lifestyles. Which i find wrong in a free society i always look back at the Constitution.

It says Life right in the beginning of protecting.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-30 14:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Much of that is attributable to industry and industry-related abuse of our country's rural areas.

Coal, gas, and oil aren't exactly clean industries, even when executed as responsibly as is possible...and that almost never even happens.
By fonewear 2014-12-30 14:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Coal is the work of the devil I tells ya !
By Ramyrez 2014-12-30 14:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Coal is the work of the devil I tells ya !

Well the devil would have to be real for that, but coal seam fires are pretty *** evil.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-30 14:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
To the first thing you mentioned about " people are generally nicer".

There is a lot of places in the U.S the same way. No one State is the same or region. When i moved from Ohio to Connecticut it was night and day difference. The attitude was vastly different people seemed more to themselves folks who i talked to want to move out of CT a lot. Which shocked me but i understood. Because of high taxes, it is insane about the property differences of CT to Ohio. The house my wife and i live in is roughly a quarter of a million dollars. I almost puked about the price difference. Because i had the same size house and a bigger garage in Ohio for roughly 30k and more property and hands down less taxes.
You don't understand the meaning I was referring to.

People are (generally) nicer to those that they know and understand than they do to outsiders. It is especially prevalent here in the United States, where we applaud an individualistic society than group relations.

In other parts in the world, especially in Japan, it's more group oriented society than individualistic. Communities are seen as a whole, and outsiders are generally seen as a new member of the community (long-term). Not to say that they won't be less than friendly at first, but when you stay a while, people in Japan warm up to you rather quickly.

That's what I meant about my "Texans are nicer to Texans than they are with out-of-state residents)

The public transportation system you mentioned.

That is what the U.S needs a lot to catch up to some nations around the world. Do you realize how many more jobs we would have today if we invested in upgrading our Infrastructure and transportation in all 50 states?

There is no need to upgrade public transportation for all 50 states. New England area had a need, but Texas doesn't. Neither does Washington or Idaho or Kansas or most other states.

You mentioned liking mountains instead of plains.
If you live in Texas my friend your in a good spot to put your finger on our country's map and choose which mountains you want to live by. I'm not a fan of dormant volcanoes myself but mountains i agree are beautiful.
Um...ok? I could choose to live in the Black Hills in South Dakota if I really wanted to, but again, I might as well live in Japan because I already am not close to my family, which is really what's keeping me here.

You said there way of life was healthier then here in the U.S.
Again you choose the way you want to live your life. Your body is your own, but we find regulations happening more in the U.S to limit independent lifestyles. Which i find wrong in a free society i always look back at the Constitution.
Yeah, you don't know what you are talking about...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-30 14:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Much of that is attributable to industry and industry-related abuse of our country's rural areas.

Coal, gas, and oil aren't exactly clean industries, even when executed as responsibly as is possible...and that almost never even happens.
I wasn't talking about air quality, but you do bring up a good point.

What I was referring to was the amount of trash Americans throw out their windows in rural areas vs. the rest of the world.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-30 14:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What I was referring to was the amount of trash Americans throw out their windows in rural areas vs. the rest of the world.

Well that's just an issue period, not just in rural areas. That's ignorance at play in a society that doesn't properly punish it.

I mean, look at Singapore. Clean as a whistle!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-30 14:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's just an issue period, not just in rural areas. That's ignorance at play in a society that doesn't properly punish it.

I mean, look at Singapore. Clean as a whistle!
I'll agree with you on that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-30 15:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the 2 year old boy accidentally shooting a (first perceived) relative at a Walmart.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-30 15:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the 2 year old boy accidentally shooting a (first perceived) relative at a Walmart.

It's in a Walmart. We expect these things.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-30 15:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I for one would have expected Candlejack or any radical anti-gun nut to be celebrating the accidental death of a human.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-12-30 19:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh! After living as an atheist for a full year, a pastor has decided that believing in a diety isn't for him. Food for thought.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-12-30 19:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So umm did a thread just get totally erased from existence today? Wondering why deleted and not just locked seems a little harsh. Asking here since it pertains to the politics of ffxiah.com/P&R..
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-30 19:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The one you derailed? Probably nuked because it broke several forum rules.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-30 20:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I helped...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-12-30 21:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Exile awaits those who wishes to start that bs again.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-30 21:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no point in bringing it up, it'll just turn into another stupid gun debate.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-30 21:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Rural?

When I was a teen aged beatnik in NY city "air mailing" stuff too big for the garbage down the airshafts in apartment buildings was standard. I don't think this has changed.

In Seattle, where the apartment buildings are small enough to not need airshafts, people leave that stuff on the curb. Honestly do they think the homeless are going to use a broken computer desk? No, just like airmailing, its abandonment and therefore some one else's problem.

P. S. Just read the 2 year old wall mart killer thing.

Chanti's second law of gun safety: There is no such thing as a safety.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-12-30 23:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/12/28/supreme-court-rules-8-1-citizens-no-protection-4th-amendment-violations-police-ignorant-law/

Quote:
The Rutherford Institute had asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hold law enforcement officials accountable to knowing and abiding by the rule of law. Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the Court’s lone dissenter, warned that the court’s ruling “means further eroding the Fourth Amendment‘s protection of civil liberties in a context where that protection has already been worn down.”

Police now have another tool to abuse and its all because people do not defend their rights. This person just had to say No, I do not consent a search of my car and the officer would have had nothing. Now the Supreme Court has further eroded our constitutional rights with a case that should have never even been made.

Sounds kinda fishy how all this came about.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-30 23:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like it's time to reign in the Supreme Court for constantly violating the Constitution.

Read the full article, I can see the viewpoint, in the limited example given.

He consented to the search, regardless of why he was stopped (cops can stop you if they think you are violating a law, regardless if you are or not, that's pretty much precedent, like if they think you're drinking because you take a turn too fast/slow or swerve, etc).

Now if he hadn't consented to the search, and did so without probable cause or a warrant, then yeah: it would be *** up.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-12-31 06:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Is "Manspreading" A Medical Necessity?

A shot of “manspreading” in action from the crowdsourced Tumblr, Men Taking Up Too Much Space On The Train.

“I’m not going to cross my legs like ladies do,” Fabio Panceiro told the New York Times last week, “I’m going to sit how I want to sit.”

He’s not alone in his sentiments about New York’s Metropolitan Transit Authority’s (MTA) new campaign to discourage “manspreading,” the practice of male passengers, essentially, feeling the need to open their legs as widely as possible while riding public transportation.

(The city agency is also encouraging subway passengers to please not take up extra seats with backpacks and packages, and instead keep those objects situated in their — compact — laps.)

The slogan for the city’s campaign is “Courtesy Counts: Manners Make a Better Ride” and many other cities across the country have engaged in similar campaigns to curb the unwieldy, sometimes graphic, seated position.

In addition to being generally impolite, some women feel that the posture is not just a subtly aggressive statement of male privilege, but often also a potentially threatening one. By manspreading, a male passenger is not only insisting his right to take up as much space as he desires in public, regardless of the needs or desires of others, but can also use his physicality as a means of intimidation.

Manspreading, some argue, is a form of passive assault.

Yet men’s rights activists in both the U.S. and Canada have been outspoken in their insistence that sitting with their legs spread out is not only their god-given right, but also necessary for their health.

One group, the Canadian Association For Equality (CAFE) have started an online petition to speak out against the Toronto Transit Authority’s similar encouragement to their male passengers to please keep their legs closed. As of yesterday, the petition has 820 signatures.
Is "Manspreading" A Medical Necessity?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-31 07:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Rural?

When I was a teen aged beatnik in NY city "air mailing" stuff too big for the garbage down the airshafts in apartment buildings was standard. I don't think this has changed.

In Seattle, where the apartment buildings are small enough to not need airshafts, people leave that stuff on the curb. Honestly do they think the homeless are going to use a broken computer desk? No, just like airmailing, its abandonment and therefore some one else's problem.

Yeah, obviously you have experience in rural areas if you only referenced NYC and Seattle.

Notice I mentioned and compared rural only? I didn't talk much about cities because cities are generally the same wherever you go.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 07:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In addition to being generally impolite, some women feel that the posture is not just a subtly aggressive statement of male privilege, but often also a potentially threatening one. By manspreading, a male passenger is not only insisting his right to take up as much space as he desires in public, regardless of the needs or desires of others, but can also use his physicality as a means of intimidation.

So...I mean, look. It's rude, yes. Public transportation is expected to be crowded and uncomfortable and trying to occupy more space for yourself for your own comfort is a bit of a *** move...but...threatening? Intimidation? Passive-aggressive male privilege? "Insisting on his right to take up as much space as he desires in public?" Ugh.

What about women and their giant *** purses? Or anyone, for that matter, with oversized briefcases and messenger bags?

What about entitled parents who drag their screaming, whining, or snivelling children onto public transportation and expect everyone to make room for, accomodate, and tolerate them? Including the ones who walk around public places with their noses buried in cell phones or Gameboys not paying attention to where they're going, but their parents get upset that you are wrong if they run into you because you weren't looking out for their child?

I'm pretty sure most of the regulars around here know I'm pretty anti-MRA and think most of these men's rights "activists" are just a bunch of entitled misogynists who can piss up a rope as far as I'm concerned.

But this issue is just absolutely ridiculous. This isn't about gender issues or men trying to oppress society.

It's just about Americans being rude in public.

And that's not limited to any age, gender, color, sexual preferece, or religious orientation. ^^;
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-31 07:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Or anyone, for that matter, with oversized briefcases
Some of us can't help having a large briefcase.

I have to carry my company laptop, several files (some of which can be as large as 4" thick) and various other items (every once in a while I bring a 10 key calculator small enough to fit in one).

These items (especially the laptop and files) are too important to put in the headrack, and pretty much needs to be held in front of me at all times.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 07:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Or anyone, for that matter, with oversized briefcases
Some of us can't help having a large briefcase.

I have to carry my company laptop, several files (some of which can be as large as 4" thick) and various other items (every once in a while I bring a 10 key calculator small enough to fit in one).

These items (especially the laptop and files) are too important to put in the headrack, and pretty much needs to be held in front of me at all times.

That's kind of what I'm saying, though. Some people are being rude and just taking whatever space they want to; some have no choice but to take up more space for whatever reason.

That's got nothing to do with aggressivity or male (or female) dominance.

It's just...life.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-31 07:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people are being rude
That's people.

Everyone in their life is rude to somebody else at one point in their lives.

The people who are bitching about people being rude are in fact being rude themselves.

It's hypocritical to think otherwise.

(Not attacking you Ramyrez btw, just pointing out the obvious)
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 08:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people are being rude
That's people.

Everyone in their life is rude to somebody else at one point in their lives.

The people who are bitching about people being rude are in fact being rude themselves.

It's hypocritical to think otherwise.

(Not attacking you Ramyrez btw, just pointing out the obvious)

Yeah. Sometimes people don't even realize they're being rude, they're just trying to be, you know.

Comfortable.

Hell, I take public transportation like twice a year, but I bet I could be considered one of these people. I've never really given it thought, but...it's not "manspreading", it's hating public transportation and trying to keep as many people out of my "bubble" as possible. It's not about my penis. It's about "I don't know you please stay as far away from me as is reasonably possible in this enclosed space".
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 179 180 181 ... 1375 1376 1377