Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online

You must be logged in to do that.

Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1343 1344 1345 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-15 11:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Interesting Read -- "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Quote:
And things started making a little more sense to me. All this anger we see from people screaming "All Lives Matter" in response to black protesters at rallies. All this anger we see from people insisting that their "religious freedom" is being infringed because a gay couple wants to get married. All these people angry about immigrants, angry about Muslims, angry about "Happy Holidays," angry about not being able to say bigoted things without being called a bigot...

They all basically boil down to people who have grown accustomed to walking straight at other folks, and expecting them to move. So when "those people" in their path don't move -- when those people start wondering, "Why am I always moving out of this guy's way?"; when those people start asking themselves, "What if I didn't move? What if I just kept walking too?"; when those people start believing that they have every bit as much right to that aisle as anyone else -- it can seem like their rights are being taken away.

When you've been taught that you're a victim all your life, actual opportunity feels uncomfortable.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-15 11:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That you think it isn't something you yourself should be working for is pathetic.
Please, those who wish for "equality" only mean that that group is ahead of everyone else.

Case in point: Affirmative Action.

I treat the general population the same. I treat specific people differently based by my interactions with them. I.E., I treat Sparth differently than I treat you, also Ravael and Altima differently. But some guy on the street? Same as the next guy.

This is me personally, so I cannot say the same of everyone else. To put me with a group of people who you think treat people differently because we have something in common (i.e., we are rich) is showing your own blanket biases.

But groups of people are actively seeking "equality" which, to them, means that they are placed in a position above everyone else. #Blacklivesmatter. Why not #Everyonelivesmatter?
By Artemicion 2016-03-15 11:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

This feels oddly familiar...

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-15 11:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is that many think the status quo is already equal. That is not the case and shows a lack of perspective of the lives of those who are in a group that suffers discriminations on some level or another. And so when equal opportunities get expanded to these people the former feel threatened cause somehow there is a group "rising", but the thing is they're not rising above, they're just catching up cause they had been kept down by previous generations.

Sure, you also have the loonies in these movements as well(cue neo-feminism), but you shouldn't let a minority of dumbasses alter a process of due civil rights.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-15 11:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

People cry "discrimination" but don't understand what it means.

There are many times where a person is not hired because they are not the best candidate, not because they have a specific skin pigment or a different set of body parts than the other candidates. And yet, certain groups decry discrimination.

Employers should not be forced to hire substandard people because of the color of their skin or because they are female, like some groups are demanding them to do. Same thing with colleges/universities. To remove discrimination also means to remove the demand of unequal, improper advancements based because of differentiated traits.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-03-15 12:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
That you think it isn't something you yourself should be working for is pathetic.
Please, those who wish for "equality" only mean that that group is ahead of everyone else.

Case in point: Affirmative Action.

I treat the general population the same. I treat specific people differently based by my interactions with them. I.E., I treat Sparth differently than I treat you, also Ravael and Altima differently. But some guy on the street? Same as the next guy.

This is me personally, so I cannot say the same of everyone else. To put me with a group of people who you think treat people differently because we have something in common (i.e., we are rich) is showing your own blanket biases.

But groups of people are actively seeking "equality" which, to them, means that they are placed in a position above everyone else. #Blacklivesmatter. Why not #Everyonelivesmatter?

Because BlackLivesMatter is a loose organization of people fighting against perceived police brutality and systemic oppression in the black community? Anything from housing discrimination to police brutality. It's a catchall group for most activists focusing on black issues. Whodathunk.

Why would it be called 'all lives matter' when the problem is with blacks and the way police/society treat that group? Do you start a Holocaust remembrance group and label it 'all genocide victims matter'? Or a 9/11 survivors group and label it 'all terror victims matter'?

No, because it'd be stupid. Like #alllivesmatter is stupid. Stupid because someone couldn't be arsed to look at the argument being posed.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
The problem is that many think the status quo is already equal. That is not the case and shows a lack of perspective of the lives of those who are in a group that suffers discriminations on some level or another. And so when equal opportunities get expanded to these people the former feel threatened cause somehow there is a group "rising", but the thing is they're not rising above, they're just catching up cause they had been kept down by previous generations.

Sure, you also have the loonies in these movements as well(cue neo-feminism), but you shouldn't let a minority of dumbasses alter a process of due civil rights.

This is the very definition of conservatism when viewed as a means of practical application.

MAINTAIN AND DO NOT CHANGE. THIS IS MY COMFORT LEVEL.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
No, because it'd be stupid. Like #alllivesmatter is stupid. Stupid because someone couldn't be arsed to look at the argument being posed.

AllLivesMatter is exactly a result of a victim complex not being fulfilled.

People who can't manage to squeeze themselves into the sympathetic victim cast immediately rallying against it because clearly if it's not for them, it's against them.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-15 12:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh I don't like the slogan either. BlackLivesMatterToo would have been better for instance.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-15 12:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

America is clearly not for Canadians.
#Canadianlivesmatter!

wait... wait... no they don't. All that matters is we can use real sugar in our junk food, and slather it in maple syrup and bacon fat until we die of a heart attack at age 32.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-15 12:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

America doesn't have sugar?
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
#Canadianlivesmatter!

wait... wait... no they don't. All that matters is we can use real sugar in our junk food, and slather it in maple syrup and bacon fat until we die of a heart attack at age 32.

Which means you're about due to kick the bucket, right?

Can I have your account? It would drive my ls mates insane to have you as my mule and pearled.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-03-15 12:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh I don't like the slogan either. BlackLivesMatterToo would have been better for instance.

What's combative about BlackLivesMatter? It's a statement turned into a hashtag. You can interpret it as being confrontational but that's pure projection. Again, do people get up in arms when Holocaust victims highlight their tragedy? Or World War II veterans who put themselves about other war vets? Nope, because we're being specific for a *reason*

What most Americans know (but wont say) is they know for a fact the interaction between blacks and the police is *very* different than if say... a 90lb white girl interacts with the police. We only joke about it ALL the time. It's at the top of the jokes pile.

And in that lay the reason BlackLivesMatter exists. But I guess we can pretend that everything is equal when none of the data supports it.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

We have plenty of sugar.

But we also have high fructose corn syrup. It is a cheap and easy to produce sweetener and from a nutrition point of view practically identical to regular cane sugar.

The problem is all the *** hippies are convinced that it's not sugar that's the problem, it's HFCS replacing sugar. Not just that they shove too much *** sugar of any kind in their face and make their pancreas work like Chinese kid in a shoe shop.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-15 12:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Because BlackLivesMatter is a loose organization of people fighting against perceived police brutality and systemic oppression in the black community? Anything from housing discrimination to police brutality. It's a catchall group for most activists focusing on black issues. Whodathunk.

Why would it be called 'all lives matter' when the problem is with blacks and the way police/society treat that group? Do you start a Holocaust remembrance group and label it 'all genocide victims matter'? Or a 9/11 survivors group and label it 'all terror victims matter'?

So, only Black Lives Matter to you. Got it.

If you want to fight police brutality, then fight it. Sue the local governments for every instance of brutality. Make them hurt economically so they are forced to change. You know, force them to be responsible.

Instead, we have yet another affirmative action group that's trying to prop up that group above everyone else. Not really attacking the problem at hand, just make it so only they are above everyone else, and everyone else is considered second class. Which is creating a whole new set of problems. Because, you know, "equality"

Which they don't want. They may say they want it, but in reality, they don't.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to fight police brutality, then fight it. Sue the local governments for every instance of brutality. Make them hurt economically so they are forced to change. You know, force them to be responsible.

Instead, we have yet another affirmative action group that's trying to prop up that group above everyone else. Not really attacking the problem at hand, just make it so only they are above everyone else, and everyone else is considered second class. Which is creating a whole new set of problems. Because, you know, "equality"

Jaded. As. ***.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-15 12:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaded. As. ***.
At least you admit it. First step of solving the problem is acknowledging the problem exists.

Good for you!
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

At least you admit it. First step of solving the problem is acknowledging the problem exists.

Good for you!

Oooh you.

Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-15 12:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

so....if we get all of our salt from the tears of the downtrodden...

let's just say that you don't want to know where the sugar comes from.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-15 12:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did I say it was combative?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-03-15 12:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The resistance towards equality is powered by the fear that majority groups will one day be subjected to the same treatment they've imposed on minority groups. Your post is a great example of that. You think in order for one group to rise up that another must be displaced downwards. "Equality is normalalized for those like me but 'special treatment' for anyone else."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-03-15 12:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

More of your projection of what you -think- BlackLivesMatter is rather than what it actually is. Again, BlackLivesMatter on its face is a loose coalition of different groups attacking the same problems from different angles. Some legal, some street protesting, some trying addressing housing issues, some police brutality focus etc etc.

For you to think you know what everyone wants is the height of arrogance but what's new. Equality is an ideal, it's not remotely feasible but anything would be an improvement over white men dominating everything in what's supposed to be a 'free' market. Free for who?

It's amusing to some extent that as soon as the status quo is attacked, the defenders of the faith crawl out of the woodwork to claim everything is 'fair' when they know things aren't fair in the slightest.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-03-15 12:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

#Canadianlivesmatter!

Which means you're about due to kick the bucket, right?

Can I have your account? It would drive my ls mates insane to have you as my mule and pearled.
I've got another 2 more years, assbucket!

then you can have my account. Because apparently plenty of people in your LS hate my living guts for no other reason than to hate me for making dark knight great again. (back during Provenance Watcher Days)
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-03-15 12:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did I say it was combative?

It's a general statement on what people think BlackLivesMatter means. On it's face, the hashtag is a statement meant to highlight one group. Spawned from police shootings against blacks.

What people read into it is usually a projection of their heart.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got another 2 more years, assbucket!

then you can have my account. Because apparently plenty of people in your LS hate my living guts for no other reason than to hate me for making dark knight great again. (back during Provenance Watcher Days)

Yeah, idk what that's about. *shrug*

I don't pay much attention to anything these days. I like everyone in my shell for the most part. But I don't share all of their opinions.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-15 12:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Because apparently plenty of people in your LS hate my living guts for no other reason than to hate me for making dark knight great again.

1.) that never happened.
2.) you're canadian
3.) and even for a csnadian, you're kind of annoying.
4.) I suspect you are also a manthra and nobody likes those
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-03-15 12:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Because apparently plenty of people in your LS hate my living guts for no other reason than to hate me for making dark knight great again.

1.) that never happened.
2.) you're canadian
I think this might be the highest praise he's ever given any Canadian. >.>
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-15 12:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

1.) that never happened.
2.) you're canadian

He has a point here, too.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-03-15 12:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I hit on a catman once. Then she got on Ventrilo and... oh.

Ah, to be young and obsessed with virtual boobs again.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-15 12:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

The resistance towards equality is powered by the fear that majority groups will one day be subjected to the same treatment they've imposed on minority groups. Your post is a great example of that. You think in order for one group to rise up that another must be displaced downwards. "Equality is normalalized for those like me but 'special treatment' for anyone else."
Spoken like a true victim.

Equality of results, doesn't and never will exist. Equality of opportunity however can exist and does exist here more than any other place on the planet.
First Page 2 3 ... 1343 1344 1345 ... 1375 1376 1377