Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1159 1160 1161 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-14 15:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
What am I hating?
Obviously Christmas songs. I mean, you want to run away from them, right?

If not, then what's your problem? Why are you bitching?
Because the education system is not about exclusion. Your solution that non-believers should simply opt-out (by ditching, lol) is not a viable one.
So, give us a real-life example of singing Christmas songs is compulsory to everyone, and that exclusion is not allowed by punishment.
How 'bout no?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 15:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I was in the top school choir in my city. We were invited to a variety of holiday functions and catered our songs to whomever we were singing for. We had many atheists in the choir and a Jew, and nobody was forced to sing anything that they didn't feel comfortable singing. Nobody opted out because they were more interested in singing for the fun of it and honing their craft instead of whining and complaining. Heck, we even sang Hava Nagila that year and had a blast doing it. Call the freaking wambulance.

Thats a nice story but what does it have to do with religion in schools?

It was a school choir occasionally singing religious music, which apparently most of you think should be super illegal. I thought that was obvious, but then again I'm dealing with a special crowd here.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 15:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in the top school choir in my city. We were invited to a variety of holiday functions and catered our songs to whomever we were singing for. We had many atheists in the choir and a Jew, and nobody was forced to sing anything that they didn't feel comfortable singing. Nobody opted out because they were more interested in singing for the fun of it and honing their craft instead of whining and complaining. Heck, we even sang Hava Nagila that year and had a blast doing it. Call the freaking wambulance.

It was a school choir occasionally singing religious music, which apparently most of you think should be super illegal. I thought that was obvious, but then again I'm dealing with a special crowd here.
They like it when you hold their hand when they read posts. Also, telling them how they are a good boy/girl and giving them milk afterwards works too.

Otherwise, they might just run away.
[+]
By volkom 2015-12-14 16:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

What am I hating?
Obviously Christmas songs. I mean, you want to run away from them, right?

If not, then what's your problem? Why are you bitching?
Because the education system is not about exclusion. Your solution that non-believers should simply opt-out (by ditching, lol) is not a viable one.
So, give us a real-life example of singing Christmas songs is compulsory to everyone, and that exclusion is not allowed by punishment.
How 'bout no?

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2015-12-14 16:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it Black History month again? That is the only holiday I celebrate!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 16:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
If these schools did pageants and plays in February for Hindu new year for example and it was about praying for the blessing of a bountiful rainy season, perfectly harmless. How many North American parents would be like, "oh it's harmless fun, suck it up. Let all the kids do this. My son and your son can be Vishnu."

Instead it's sadly very hypocritical and most likely the school would get in deep ***. That is why people argue about this on principle.

Most people wouldn't like public schools to do nativity pageants and plays either, so I don't see what's so hypocritical. Honestly I think it'd be cool to see more Hindu celebrations. Here in Utah we've got the Krishna Temple Festival of Colors and far more Christians participate in that than anyone else, from what I've seen. Give everyone the chance to have their holidays represented in school so that culture can be celebrated and students can learn from each other. It sounds better to me than sweeping it all under the rug.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-14 16:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Because there are no people in a grey area that looked at the catalyst article and thought, "Well, that's overkill." Then, looked at the typical, predictable reaction of ultra-conservatives here, and thinks, "You might be just as nutty as that principal."

Merry Christmas!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-14 16:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

We have a ***culture cause we value feels more than anything.I blame Jews Muslims Christians and Athiests. You all suck! Merry Christmas.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 16:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If these schools did pageants and plays in February for Hindu new year for example and it was about praying for the blessing of a bountiful rainy season, perfectly harmless.
Not according to some people.

Remember, we shouldn't "force" harmless things on people, even though they have the option of not attending said event or participate with those who want to attend or be in said event.

But according to them, they are forced under execution to attend such petty events. They can't run away from said events. Ask Pleebo, he is forced to attend all these events by threat of execution.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2015-12-14 16:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You got it wrong when it doesn't rain...you do a rain dance.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 16:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Because there are no people in a grey area that looked at the catalyst article and thought, "Well, that's overkill." Then, looked at the typical, predictable reaction of ultra-conservatives here, and thinks, "You might be just as nutty as that principal."

Merry Christmas!

Do we have ninja ultra-conservatives in here that only you can see? Show yourselves, I say!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 16:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Wanting the blessing of a bountiful rainy season does not equate to the origin story of Jesus Christ Ravael, it equates to normal Christmas carols.

If I had said "let's tell the story of thousands of years ago and the first gods." Yeah you'd have a point.
Depends on the religion actually Josiahfk.

I'm sure there's a rain god in Egyptian texts somewhere.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 16:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Merry Christmas!

Do we have ninja ultra-conservatives in here that only you can see? Show yourselves, I say!
*poof* We must build a wall to keep those illegal Muslims out of the country. Only purebred American Muslims are allowed here! *poof*
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-14 16:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If these schools did pageants and plays in February for Hindu new year for example and it was about praying for the blessing of a bountiful rainy season, perfectly harmless.

Remember, we shouldn't "force" harmless things on people, even though they have the option of not attending said event or participate with those who want to attend or be in said event.

But according to them, they are forced under execution to attend such petty events. They can't run away from said events. Ask Pleebo, he is forced to attend all these events by threat of execution.
Oh you :]
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 16:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh you :]
Why are you still here Pleebo? Why aren't you running away?

Don't forget to scream at the top of your voice while you run. It adds to the effect.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-14 16:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Enuyasha 2015-12-14 17:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If these schools did pageants and plays in February for Hindu new year for example and it was about praying for the blessing of a bountiful rainy season, perfectly harmless. How many North American parents would be like, "oh it's harmless fun, suck it up. Let all the kids do this. My son and your son can be Vishnu."

Instead it's sadly very hypocritical and most likely the school would get in deep ***. That is why people argue about this on principle.

Most people wouldn't like public schools to do nativity pageants and plays either, so I don't see what's so hypocritical. Honestly I think it'd be cool to see more Hindu celebrations. Here in Utah we've got the Krishna Temple Festival of Colors and far more Christians participate in that than anyone else, from what I've seen. Give everyone the chance to have their holidays represented in school so that culture can be celebrated and students can learn from each other. It sounds better to me than sweeping it all under the rug.
Usually thats how anything put out by the state is supposed to be...but in schools its considered a distraction from the education process and shouldnt be a thing because of that. It also usually turns into a shitstorm cause everyone wants to get in on it and then its an episode of "your god is inferior to mine so we cant have that".
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 17:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »

Usually thats how anything put out by the state is supposed to be...but in schools its considered a distraction from the education process and shouldnt be a thing because of that. It also usually turns into a shitstorm cause everyone wants to get in on it and then its an episode of "your god is inferior to mine so we cant have that".

I can see where you're coming from on that. I still think you're going to have less xenophobia going around if kids are allowed to experience such things, though. Like it or not, understanding world religions plays a huge part in understanding people and why they do the things that they do, and if we're not preparing children for a globalized society then we're just stuck in an arcane way of thinking under the guide of "progression". You don't have to endorse any religion to do that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-14 18:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a difference between teaching ABOUT religion, and teaching religion. There's plenty of ways to do the former without the later.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-14 19:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Those feeble minds sue and win because they're right. I'm sure you would rather have no christmas in school than have them paying out large chunks of an already meager budget in judgments and legal fees.

Lol. They're "right"? Let's take a look at one of the few cases that the Supreme Court actually heard. Lynch v. Donnelly

Yes, they are right. A school is a learning institution, and by the same Kurtzman decision, cannot have any religious symbolism. A Creche on a public lawn is not the same as jesus and angels in a school, and there is a ton a case law that explains why. In fact, both Lynch v Donnelly and Lemon v Kurtzman clearly state why it's different.

Yes, those mean litigious atheists are right.
By fonewear 2015-12-14 19:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I knew he was a Muslim! Movie is going to be a disappointment like all over hyped things.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 19:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Those feeble minds sue and win because they're right. I'm sure you would rather have no christmas in school than have them paying out large chunks of an already meager budget in judgments and legal fees.

Lol. They're "right"? Let's take a look at one of the few cases that the Supreme Court actually heard. Lynch v. Donnelly

Yes, they are right. A school is a learning institution, and by the same Kurtzman decision, cannot have any religious symbolism. A Creche on a public lawn is not the same as jesus and angels in a school, and there is a ton a case law that explains why. In fact, both Lynch v Donnelly and Lemon v Kurtzman clearly state why it's different.

Yes, those mean litigious atheists are right.

You are really extrapolating here with the Lemon v Kurtzman case. Saying that giving state aid to church related schools is not permissible is not the same thing as saying there can be no religious symbolism in schools. Lynch v. Donnelly doesn't mention schools either. In another case concerning "under God" in the pledge recited by school children, "Rehnquist's opinion asserts the term 'under God' does not endorse or establish religion but it actually asserts that the term merely acknowledges the nation's religious heritage, in particular the role of religion for the Founding Fathers of the United States. Thus, according to the opinion, the Pledge is a secular act rather than an act of indoctrination in religion or expression of religious devotion."
Sorry, the law is not nearly as cut and dry against any mention of God in school as you like to pretend it is.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-14 20:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

2 things

Read part 3 of the Lemon v Kurtzman decision concerning the Lemon test. Read more than the first couple lines of each opinion.

Read one of the dozens of lower court cases regarding the establishment clause and public schools. It's been challenged and upheld many times that as teachers and facilitators are in a position of influence and children are not adept, religious symbolism will always be considered curricular. Think of it like statutory rape, they can't give consent because they are not able to understand it and because the staff are in a position of power.

Rehnquist was also dead wrong about our country's religious heritage, and was one of the original religious justices that paved the way for hacks like Scalia. Some of the founders were religious, but they were all very clear about it's place in government.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 20:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Read it. Still think you're extrapolating about the actual topic at hand. Also, the Court is only right if you say it is? If we're going there, there's no point in arguing further.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-14 20:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Read it. Still think you're extrapolating about the actual topic at hand. Also, the Court is only right if you say it is? If we're going there, there's no point in arguing further.

I didn't say the court was right or wrong, they are the arbiters of the constitution. Individual justices, however, often have biases and Rehnquist was one of them. He was well known for his summary opinions being full of religious crap and light on law.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-12-14 21:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Singing a song in school is not forcing anyone to believe the content of the lyrics, it is not worship, it is not Church. It is complete lunacy to say otherwise.

Again it is the usual, if pretentious liberals find it annoying then it must go away.

Ban "Frosty the Snowman" because it is forcing a captive audience to believe in demon possession.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1159 1160 1161 ... 1375 1376 1377