Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1063 1064 1065 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-11-06 11:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
This is what happens when anti-intellectualism takes firm root, the very context and definitions of words become pliable and subject to individual interpretation.

Such as "censorship"?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 11:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Well the point here is that there shouldn't be a difference, in theory. There are a lot of racist words that apply specifically to certain races. You wouldn't call a white person a Jap because it doesn't make any sense, but obviously calling a Japanese person that would be offensive to some. Calling someone a monkey is generally an insult to intellect, and thus we have the interesting issue where you can practically use it for every race but one. It's still a rude thing to say, but it's in a different category than most other racist terms for that reason.

In a circle of friends or people you know, that may fly. I can call gay friends the f-bomb and they know I'm not being insulting, merely a cheeky *** BUT I'm not gonna go around calling every gay person I mean the f-bomb because we're not at that point yet.

One day calling a black person a monkey might be like calling someone a *** but that day ain't today. But feel free to call someone black a monkey, decisions have consequences afterall.
By Bloodrose 2015-11-06 11:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the point here is that there shouldn't be a difference, in theory. There are a lot of racist words that apply specifically to certain races. You wouldn't call a white person a Jap because it doesn't make any sense, but obviously calling a Japanese person that would be offensive to some. Calling someone a monkey is generally an insult to intellect, and thus we have the interesting issue where you can practically use it for every race but one. It's still a rude thing to say, but it's in a different category than most other racist terms for that reason.
Theory and practice are rarely ever on the same page though (look, I made a reading pun)
And like Sparth already said, most of the time, insults don't always make sense, considering that some can twist compliments into insults, which also don't make much sense... in theory. And there are a few races where people have twisted or added to the word monkey to offend far more people as racial slurs.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-11-06 11:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really have a dog in this fight, so I can see it from both sides. I think we should all just stop being jerks to each other so that none of this would be an issue, but that's a pipe dream.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-06 11:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Monkey as a racial insult towards blacks specifically comes from the historical connotations that rich white people considered them to be inferior and not evolved, like monkeys indeed.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 11:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

On the subject of insults, there are also derogatory terms that because they do NOT have widespread understanding or are regionally locked make no sense unless used in a certain context.

There are lots of American insults that in other countries will elicit a "?????" response and vice/versa. Then you have words and gestures that have widely varying meanings around the world like an innocent thumbs up or cultures where people shout over eachother as normal talking protocol.

Holy ***, who knew language and terms could be so vast and varying. I liked it better when I could just American my way through everything.
By Bloodrose 2015-11-06 11:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

On the Random PnR Stage in Canada...

Rookie PM Justin Trudeau is replacing longstanding cabinet ministers with other, untested rookies, while also making former political enemies with bad blood between them "play nice"
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 11:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think I heard the word 'wetback' seriously thrown around as an insult until I was like near 20 lol. It just wasn't used where I lived all my life and I've been surrounded by Hispanics!
By Bloodrose 2015-11-06 11:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The first time I heard "wetback" or "beaner" was from Carlos Mencia's comedy shows.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-11-06 11:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

On the subject of insults, there are also derogatory terms that because they do NOT have widespread understanding or are regionally locked make no sense unless used in a certain context.

There are lots of American insults that in other countries will elicit a "?????" response and vice/versa. Then you have words and gestures that have widely varying meanings around the world like an innocent thumbs up or cultures where people shout over eachother as normal talking protocol.

Holy ***, who knew language and terms could be so vast and varying. I liked it better when I could just American my way through everything.

I'm bilingual, and much of the regional insult thing became much more apparent when speaking Spanish to people from various countries. For example, the name of a particular pastry in Mexico is highly offensive in Argentina, apparently.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-06 11:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a tricky situation with the monkey insult. If someone calls a black person a monkey as a derogatory term, but uses the term in the exact same way as he would a white person, the stigma of monkey in the racist sense does not exist in him. If someone points out that it was once used as a derogatory term for black people specifically and therefore he cannot use it, that perpetuates the stigma and introduces its racist intent to a new generation.

Liberals lick their chops about perpetuating hate to the next generation.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 11:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm bilingual, and much of the regional insult thing became much more apparent when speaking Spanish to people from various countries. For example, the name of a particular pastry in Mexico is highly offensive in Argentina, apparently.

Giving her the ol' cannoli can mean so much or not much at all.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-06 11:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
My eyes hurt from rolling too much.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-06 11:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So, if I call a white person the "n" word, does that make me racist?

Because the "n" word is a racial term, regardless on how you say it and to who.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-06 11:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't make sense to a white outside of the jest spectrum. So that answers itself.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-06 11:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
No it's not some "liberal code" or whatever idiocy you wanna come up with. It's known worldwide, I don't know why you guys need to play dumb on this so much. You can still criticize Obama all you want without denying reality you know?

This is par for the course whenever racism comes up on this site, the conservatives play the victims and accuse everyone else of calling them racist, which never happens but they pretend anyways. Then nausi/aman take it to the national level and accuse the entire democrat base of being racist. They are both liars, and this topic shouldn't even be allowed because of the levels they sink to. Look at the last two pages, its pathetic.

It is at a national level. It has taken firm root in politics since President Obama was the nominee in 2008. From that day on, Democrats have accused Republicans of being racist on every valid and honest disagreement. It is the most horrible political tactic ever done in America and it has caused an enormous divide that I don't know can ever be healed. Racism is disgusting. Racists are low lives. And to constantly be associated with racists as a political tactic is hurtful and makes it impossible to ever find common ground or compromise. It should have never been done. Just yesterday on the Senate floor you had Harry Reid calling Republicans racist for wanting to pass Kate's Law. So don't give me ***about lies.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-06 11:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

to constantly be associated with racists as a political tactic is hurtful
All you have to do is detach yourself from politicians who make racist remarks. Such as *gasp* Trump!
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-06 11:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It is how left wing politicians survive. Hate. Divisiveness.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-06 11:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a tricky situation with the monkey insult. If someone calls a black person a monkey as a derogatory term, but uses the term in the exact same way as he would a white person, the stigma of monkey in the racist sense does not exist in him. If someone points out that it was once used as a derogatory term for black people specifically and therefore he cannot use it, that perpetuates the stigma and introduces its racist intent to a new generation.

Reminds me of this

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 11:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

1. It makes no sense outside of its context used as a racial epithet.
2. Lots of whites have come to call themselves the naggers as the word has diffused to being a term of endearment (or essentially 'dude') in *certain* circles. Maybe one day it'll detach from being racially loaded. And the South will rise again.

3. Why even use the term unless you're just trying to be a cheeky tard? Like baiting people?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 12:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It is how left wing politicians survive. Hate. Divisiveness.

If you think politicians of all stripes don't tug at base hatreds for their own gain then you're so cutesy and naive.

Next you'll tell me you trust politicians and jet fuel melts steel beams.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-06 12:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

2. Lots of whites have come to call themselves the naggers as the word has diffused to being a term of endearment (or essentially 'dude') in *certain* circles. Maybe one day it'll detach from being racially loaded. And the South will rise again.

3. Why even use the term unless you're just trying to be a cheeky tard? Like baiting people?
And now we come to the crux of Spath's (and surprisingly enough, the liberal/democrat's) argument.

It's not racism unless he says so.

Kindof like how people here change the definition of words that suit's their political needs.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-06 12:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Pointless to talk to you, you just ignore everything and carry on with your fantasy narrative.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-06 12:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Sorry Nausi, i don't make the rules of the world, I just live in em even if i dont like them. You don't get to deny reality because it makes you feel bad.

Calling a black person a monkey is a racially loaded term and anyone with a fully functional brain knows it. Hell it's a well known international understanding so you can't even play the regional card here. Sorry, calling Bush a monkey is just a boring old insult because he's white.

Thems the breaks. Thank the eugenics crowd for that.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.

If you subscribe to "word X HAS TO mean something different to a black person than a white person" than you subscribe to and are therefore endorsing racism.

Yes, im endorsing racism by adhering to understood norms regarding certain words used in a racial context. These are socially understood in America as being a good way to piss people/persons or entire communities off because they rub people the wrong way.

Who knew calling Japanese people Japs might elicit a poor response, especially from the older community.

It doesn't *have* to mean anything but unless you know a person I wouldn't exactly go around throwing racial epithets unless you want to provoke a response.

If it doesn't have to, why do you always cite it as evidence of racism?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-06 12:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what happens when anti-intellectualism takes firm root, the very context and definitions of words become pliable and subject to individual interpretation.

Such as "censorship"?

Marriage
Man
Woman
Science
Racism

They all have fluid meanings for liberals.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-06 12:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Pointless to talk to you, you just ignore everything and carry on with your fantasy narrative.
Are you talking about me, or yourself? Can't tell which.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-06 12:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

to constantly be associated with racists as a political tactic is hurtful
All you have to do is detach yourself from politicians who make racist remarks. Such as *gasp* Trump!

What racist remarks were those?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 12:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

And now we come to the crux of Spath's (and surprisingly enough, the liberal/democrat's) argument.

Kindof like how people here change the definition of words that suit's their political needs.

Please, call a black person a monkey, throw bananas at a black family or randomly work the word monkey into discussion with a black person and tell 'em Sparthosx sent ya.

Use the liberal conspiracy to shield yourself from the pummeling.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-06 12:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Then tell a veterans family that you're glad their kid died overseas because they are vicious thugs sent by Bush to steal oil. See how that works out for you.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-06 12:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Please, call a black person a monkey, throw bananas at a black family or randomly work the word monkey into discussion with a black person and tell 'em Sparthosx sent ya.

Use the liberal conspiracy to shield yourself from the pummeling.
I think I discovered who Seha really is talking to.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1063 1064 1065 ... 1375 1376 1377