Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1047 1048 1049 ... 1375 1376 1377
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-10-28 13:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ehh, no one should be able to come steal your stuff you worked to pay for but I can kinda see why some would feel like throwing away a 'defense of property' law would feel like the law is, in a way, allowing burglars to just come in and take what they want as long as they aren't armed.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-28 13:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

you can always just beat the ***out of a dude.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-28 13:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Ehh, no one should be able to come steal your stuff you worked to pay for but I can kinda see why some would feel like throwing away a 'defense of property' law would feel like the law is, in a way, allowing burglars to just come in and take what they want as long as they aren't armed.

This also means you don't get shot if you surprise a burglar
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-28 13:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I woke up in the middle of the night to burglars in my room last spring, so I've kinda been there. But the last thing I wished for was I had a gun, I was extremely scared and only hoped for them not to hurt me.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-10-28 14:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate to say it, but there is an iota of merit in Castle Law, seeing as though no one can say definitively how they would react in the case of a break-in/intruder. Adrenaline can hold all the cards when you do not know the intent of the person and you have others in the household that could be at risk.

As a reminder, there have been people here who have made excuses for the Sandy Hook, UC Santa Barbara, etc. shooters citing mental illness. Why should an otherwise "altogether" person be condemned for losing themselves momentarily in defense of their selves and others?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-28 14:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I woke up in the middle of the night to burglars in my room last spring, so I've kinda been there. But the last thing I wished for was I had a gun, I was extremely scared and only hoped for them not to hurt me.

Sorry to hear that.

You do realize that if you had a gun you could have gotten too, the chances of them not hurting you would have been higher right?

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-28 14:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Unless the burglars also had guns, then you'd be dead.

only if the gun jammed or something...

common sense dictates you would shoot them in the back when they weren't looking...
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-10-28 14:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

only if the gun jammed or something...

common sense dictates you would shoot them in the back when they weren't looking...
They'd never see it coming!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-28 14:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you not be capable of shooting first? Being at someone's mercy isn't really a "plan", although it is a choice.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-28 14:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
you could have gotten too
It's not allowed here. Only if you have a hunting license or are/were in the army or police.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-28 14:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
I hate to say it, but there is an iota of merit in Castle Law, seeing as though no one can say definitively how they would react in the case of a break-in/intruder. Adrenaline can hold all the cards when you do not know the intent of the person and you have others in the household that could be at risk.

As a reminder, there have been people here who have made excuses for the Sandy Hook, UC Santa Barbara, etc. shooters citing mental illness. Why should an otherwise "altogether" person be condemned for losing themselves momentarily in defense of their selves and others?

Why do you "hate to say it"?

It's not allowed here. Only if you have a hunting license or are/were in the army or police.

Have you ever consider getting a hunting license?
By Bloodrose 2015-10-28 14:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd McCauly Culkin the ***out of them burglars... assuming I had stuff worth stealing.

Joking aside though, most of the time, even when guns are in the house for self-defense, someone breaks in, you're already *somewhat* at their mercy.

But that doesn't mean you can't turn it around - though not everyone is as capable of Ramboing the *** out of intruders like they see in the movies. Often times panic sets in first before the concept of mercy takes hold, regardless of giving mercy, or receiving it. It's the "Fight or Flight" instinct, and it's different for everyone.
By Bloodrose 2015-10-28 14:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and Nik? I'm already bitter and hate everything.

AND I DID IT WHILE I WAS YOUNGER THAN YOU!
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-28 14:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Why should an otherwise "altogether" person be condemned for losing themselves momentarily in defense of their selves and others?

it's been my experience that in highly stressful situation everyone is a couple nuggets short of a happy meal and acts like you pressed the infinite improbability drive button...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-28 14:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »

fat chance!

I was born evil!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-28 14:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't want one.

Anyway I also don't possess a fight or flight response...I have a freeze response.
By Bloodrose 2015-10-28 14:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Bloodrose said: »

fat chance!

I was born evil!
Must have been born with an evil mustache too
By Ackeron 2015-10-28 14:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't want one.

Anyway I also don't possess a fight or flight response...I have a freeze response.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-10-28 15:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you "hate to say it"?

I think I "hate to say" the second paragraph more than the first, to be quite honest.

I understand both sides of the argument. Being from a family that regularly hunts I've grown up around guns, but not in the context of the gun culture that is usually associated with crime.

Our safe is stocked with firearm inheritances and four that were gifted to us throughout our lives. Do we need all of them? No. The thought of selling any of them puts us in a precarious position considering how laxed gun restrictions are in this state.

I get it, but I don't. I'll always be on the fence with this.
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Server: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-10-28 15:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So, we combat the scourge of mass shootings by doing exactly what we already do? People convicted of violent crimes can't own a weapon and face severe consequences for possessing one. The people who commit mass shootings almost never have a criminal record to warrant that level of scrutiny in the first place.

Do you not see why people don't take that position seriously or why they boil it down to no regulation? You're not even living in the same reality as everyone else. It's "we should do something" except every idea of "something" is just "nothing".

We combat the scourge of mass shootings by finding something that will actually reduce the problem, not knee-jerking our way into new laws that will do more to punish law abiding citizens than it will to deter mass shooters. If that means doing nothing new in the meantime because we haven't figured it out yet, then that's exactly what we do.

We have identified plenty of things that can actually reduce the problem without punishing law abiding citizens. I've even mentioned one about a dozen times, it's called accountability. National registries and liability to registered owners of guns used in violent crimes. You let your deranged cousin have access to your gun, you get charged with the crimes he commits as well.

Not only would that drastically limit the access to guns, it would not punish law abiding citizens at all. They can have as many guns as they want, as long as they are responsible and keep them secured.
You know the argument I hear against that? What if somebody steals your gun and commits a crime before you notice it is gone? Why should you be charged when that wasn't your fault? Because criminals love to break into houses, break into a gun safe, then put everything back so nobody knew they were ever there in the first place.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-28 15:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So, we combat the scourge of mass shootings by doing exactly what we already do? People convicted of violent crimes can't own a weapon and face severe consequences for possessing one. The people who commit mass shootings almost never have a criminal record to warrant that level of scrutiny in the first place.

Do you not see why people don't take that position seriously or why they boil it down to no regulation? You're not even living in the same reality as everyone else. It's "we should do something" except every idea of "something" is just "nothing".

We combat the scourge of mass shootings by finding something that will actually reduce the problem, not knee-jerking our way into new laws that will do more to punish law abiding citizens than it will to deter mass shooters. If that means doing nothing new in the meantime because we haven't figured it out yet, then that's exactly what we do.

We have identified plenty of things that can actually reduce the problem without punishing law abiding citizens. I've even mentioned one about a dozen times, it's called accountability. National registries and liability to registered owners of guns used in violent crimes. You let your deranged cousin have access to your gun, you get charged with the crimes he commits as well.

Not only would that drastically limit the access to guns, it would not punish law abiding citizens at all. They can have as many guns as they want, as long as they are responsible and keep them secured.
You know the argument I hear against that? What if somebody steals your gun and commits a crime before you notice it is gone? Why should you be charged when that wasn't your fault? Because criminals love to break into houses, break into a gun safe, then put everything back so nobody knew they were ever there in the first place.

That's obviously the answer I was expecting from the pro-gun crowd, but none of them seemed to notice it.

Here's the deal with that aspect. Yeah, people break into houses and steal stuff, occasionally they steal guns, but they basically never get into a gun safe without help. I'm not talking about a display cabinet with key lock, I'm talking about a SAFE.

Now, if someone broke into your house and stole your secured weapons, there would be some evidence of it, and obviously you wouldn't be held liable for that unless there was reasonable suspicion that the break-in was staged.

Laws like that generally will have some kind of due diligence clause. If you made a reasonable attempt to secure and hide the weapons, you would be exempt from liability. Case in point, leaving your car running in a parking lot with the doors unlocked could carry liability, but taking the keys and locking the doors is due diligence in preventing it.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-28 15:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

*starts whistling Lupin theme*
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-28 16:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Then pray tell why there are parts of Amsterdam where the police patrol squads of 4 with submachine guns?

It couldn't have anything to do with the gun bourses right next door in Belgium could it?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-28 16:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm italian, not dutch.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-28 16:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ooops /blush

Green, not blue.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-28 16:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The dutch flag is horizontal too <.<
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-28 19:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Then pray tell why there are parts of Amsterdam where the police patrol squads of 4 with submachine guns?

they are hunting guster

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-10-28 19:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The moderators at tonight's debate are so catty and out for blood lol they make Megyn Kelly look nice lol
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-28 20:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as its equal opportunity bloodletting.

Kelly was specifically after Trump.
First Page 2 3 ... 1047 1048 1049 ... 1375 1376 1377