Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1031 1032 1033 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-22 09:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Using a Swedish news story to launch a debate on American gun control

Not my intention.

It would never work anyway, you seem to like your mass killings.

Wut? I clearly wasn't talking to you, and why you think I like mass killings is beyond me.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-22 09:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
A lot of Americans don't like to be reminded there are other countries and some don't have the problems we do.

Didn't a couple American badasses just stop a mass shooting on a train in France like 2 months ago? And then there was that whole Charlie Hebdo thing in France right? How many shot dead? 12? Or do we not count those because they were Muslims that did the shootings?
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 09:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
what trillion dollars?

exactly... and that's why you can't have any more...
"stimulus package"

A trillion dollars all at once is a drop in the bucket.

I'd like a quarter ounce of whatever it is you were smoking when you typed this...right now.

a trillion dollars is $3,280 from every single person living in the US.

had we instead stuck it in a bank earning 5% interest it would have created 50 billion dollars every year

ok so the US uses 136.78 billion gallons a year so to generate a trillion (drop in the bucket) dollars your way the tax per gallon would have to be $7.35 a gallon.

how about no

First of all, we're talking about maintanence and repair, not new construction projects.

The trillion dollar stimulus package was never intended to be a national highway rebuilding fund. Hundreds of billions were used unemployment benefits, to shore up education budgets that were cut so far that schools were falling apart with kids in them, hundreds of billions in employment tax credits to encourage job growth, etc. Tons of money actually was spent on those "shovel ready" projects. Those were new construction projects, public transportation, alternative fuel programs (which were very successful), and inspections. In no way was that act intended to fix the roads.

And again, this isn't a matter of we need a pile of money. There is a negative cashflow that is preventing them from keeping the nation's roadways safe.

I don't know if you're just trying to make a point about wasteful spending or what, but you're off in la-la land on this one.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-22 09:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of Americans don't like to be reminded there are other countries and some don't have the problems we do.

then you are cheating yourself and needlessly putting your entire family in mortal peril by not packing up all your things and moving there at once.

/waves bye bye
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-22 09:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

you're off in la-la land.

and!?

you still can't generate the kind of revenue you want from a gas tax.

it's not evil republicans stopping you..it's MATH.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 10:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

Didn't a couple American badasses just stop a mass shooting on a train in France like 2 months ago? And then there was that whole Charlie Hebdo thing in France right? How many shot dead? 12? Or do we not count those because they were Muslims that did the shootings?

An incident so out of the norm that it's the only thing you can think of... More people have died in mass shootings than died on 9/11. Let that sink in for a moment.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 10:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

you're off in la-la land.

and!?

you still can't generate the kind of revenue you want from a gas tax.

it's not evil republicans stopping you..it's MATH.

Wait, you mathed it out without knowing what kind of revenue I want to generate? Do you even know how much would be required to keep it solvent?

This is a non-discretionary usage tax supported fund. It has operated in the black for 60 years. There's no room for political outrage here, it's literally black and white. Increase the gas tax by a few cents a gallon or get used to spending A LOT more driving around the shorter routes when bridges collapse or are condemned.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-22 10:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Increase the gas tax by a few cents a gallon or get used to spending A LOT more driving around the shorter routes when bridges collapse or are condemned.

you said a trillion dollars was a drop in the bucket.
using your math/logic a few cents increase per gallon gets you absolutely nothing.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-22 10:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

An incident so out of the norm that it's the only thing you can think of... More people have died in mass shootings than died on 9/11. Let that sink in for a moment.

How many more mass shootings do we need in the last year in France for you to call it the norm? You are clearly wrong. Let's not be stubborn about it.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 10:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

How many more mass shootings do we need in the last year in France for you to call it the norm? You are clearly wrong. Let's not be stubborn about it.

Yeah. One mass shooting in Europe, 170+ here in the same timeframe. It's pretty clear who's wrong. Do you really derive some enjoyment from being shamed repeatedly?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-22 10:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. One mass shooting in Europe, 170+ here in the same timeframe. It's pretty clear who's wrong. Do you really derive some enjoyment from being shamed repeatedly?

How many mass shootings does it take for you to call it a mass shooting problem?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-22 10:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you really expect a magical number to understand the concept of something being frequent?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 10:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

How many mass shootings does it take for you to call it a mass shooting problem?

When did I define what kind of problem it was?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 10:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Jassik you don't get how this works, the city cut taxes on "job creators" then the city has infinite income to build infrastructures.

But Nikolce is somewhat right, 1$ increase per gallon will give about 140 billion a year.

It doesn't even need to go up that much. It's a trust fund, it just needs to be solvent. The current federal gas tax is like 18c per gallon and around 25c for diesel. If they raised it even a nickle it would make a sizable impact.

As far as the employment tax credits, I don't disagree with it, it's generally a negative gain effect in dollars, but it gets some people working who want to. It's just got nothing to do with road maintenance.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-22 10:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Do you really expect a magical number to understand the concept of something being frequent?

OK two mass shootings in one year is nothing to you. No problem here.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-22 10:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that was your first post ever and I don't have a thousands of your ramblings to recall to conclude what you meant.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 10:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that was your first post ever and I don't have a thousands of your ramblings to recall to conclude what you meant.

I wasn't even talking about guns or violence specifically in my post. You guys took it there, and no, I have never said that guns were the problem. Availability, sure, cultural romance with violence, yep, public taboo toward mental health, oh yeah. There's tons of factors that contribute. But, according to the gun nuts, if you even acknowledge that mass shootings don't happen other places like they do here, you want to take everyone's guns away, blah blah blah.

Your act is old and tired. Time to hang it up.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-22 11:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems the 21 year old has liked FB pages that praise Hitler and Nazi Germany and his posts on social media show that he is against immigration. There seem to be a decent amount of immigrants in the school he attacked

Possibly racially motivated at least, need more information.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-22 11:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

OK two mass shootings in one year is nothing to you
Don't put things in my mouth without my consent first please.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-22 11:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you really derive some enjoyment from being shamed repeatedly?

If so you're whoring yourself out for free!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-22 11:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

[It's a trust fund.

HA! yeah all we need now is a lockbox...

a nickel tax will only get you 6.75 billion a year.

if administrative costs weren't a thing >.>
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 11:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

[It's a trust fund.

Which is less than the DOT says it needs to remain solvent... Funny how that math works.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-22 11:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

[It's a trust fund.

Which is less than the DOT says it needs to remain solvent... Funny how that math works.

dude that doesn't fix bridge one it only props their fat *** up at their desks...
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 11:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

[It's a trust fund.

dude that doesn't fix bridge one it only props their fat *** up at their desks...

You obviously know more about the inner workings of the highway commission than the employees, auditors, and even the commercial shipping companies that are all advocating for it. Yeah, even the people who are already paying more than you and stand to lose short term profits are on board because they understand the long term consequences of not maintaining the nation's roadways. Give it up.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-22 11:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't even talking about guns or violence specifically in my post. You guys took it there, and no, I have never said that guns were the problem. Availability, sure, cultural romance with violence, yep, public taboo toward mental health, oh yeah. There's tons of factors that contribute. But, according to the gun nuts, if you even acknowledge that mass shootings don't happen other places like they do here, you want to take everyone's guns away, blah blah blah.

Your act is old and tired. Time to hang it up.

You are rambling now. I never said any of that.

lol
By Jetackuu 2015-10-22 11:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
OK two mass shootings in one year is nothing to you
Don't put things in my mouth without my consent first please.
-.O
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 11:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

Right, you responded to "america has problems" with a rant about how guns are totally awesomesauce. Grow up.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-22 11:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

Right, you responded to "america has problems" with a rant about how guns are totally awesomesauce. Grow up.

Can you quote me please talking about the awesomeness of guns? Yeahhhhhhh kinda not seeing that.

Give it up.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-22 11:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

Can you quote me please talking about the awesomeness of guns? Yeahhhhhhh kinda not seeing that.

Give it up.

Yep, hyperbole is a one way street.
First Page 2 3 ... 1031 1032 1033 ... 1375 1376 1377