Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1028 1029 1030 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-21 12:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So America was responsible for the Arab Spring protests that demanded reforms across the ME? Cause Libya and Egypt both went pear-shaped by the will of their own people.

Syria is your only real argument here and at the time propping up a shaky dictator was not as clear as it is now that the whole thing has become a drawn out civil war. We could have Putin'd early and crushed democratic protesters but we chose to waver (the will of the American people if I may add) and now here we are with a refugee crisis.

The genesis of our decisions and subsequently ISIS roots back to Iraq.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 12:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

No Obama publically came out against Mumbarak, our ally, ergo he supported an overthrow of the Egyptian government. We assisted militarily and supplied arms to oust Qadhafi. If you believe a power vacuum in the absence of a dictator in Iraq led to instability in the region then why would you create power vacuums in three other countries? The argument is valid.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 12:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Liberals were all wet over the Arab spring. It has worked out so beautifully.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-21 12:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Jassik said: »
Jetackuu said: »
You know, if we didn't spend so damn much on the drug war and put that money into energy research, imagine how "care free" we could be too.
Or just any R&D and or infrastructure.

They'll wait until bridges are collapsing then someone will propose we privatize all utilities and then every road will become a toll road and energy prices will skyrocket. Nothing to see here, it's regulation that's the problem.

It seems to me you might be exaggerating just a tad on the state of our infrastructure.

You've got your head in the sand. In Idaho alone there are over a thousand bridges that were designated as unsafe over a decade ago and continue to be used because there is no other route.

You really should do a little research on the state of our bridges in the US. Most were built over 50 years ago and intended to be replaced almost 20 years ago.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 12:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Those areas of Idaho need better Congressmen/women if it is such an emergency. It has been impossible to avoid highway/bridge construction in my area for over 15 years.

Thank you Arlen Specter, Bob Casey and Pat Toomey.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-21 12:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Those areas of Idaho need better Congressmen/women if it is such an emergency.

1. I agree, TP fools every one of them, but it's not Idaho that's the problem.
2. They are federally funded, like everywhere, and the highway fund is broke because we haven't had a gas tax increase or any appropriations since the mid 90's.

Reaganomics is directly to blame for our crumbling infrastructure.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-10-21 12:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Those areas of Idaho need better Congressmen/women if it is such an emergency. It has been impossible to avoid highway/bridge construction in my area for over 15 years.

Yet still our state is brimming with structurally deficient bridges.

Constantly widening the turnpike and 119, while beneficial to the flow of traffic, is not exactly the best use of our state construction money, imo.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 12:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If a gas tax increase would supply all of the funding that we need, yet a sudden increase in gasoline price would be bad for the economy, then embracing our natural resources seems like a logical solution. Our own oil and natural gas could get fuel costs low enough that a tax on them would be easy to absorb.

If he doesn't want to do that then why doesn't President Obama use the White House to promote an increase in the gas tax?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 12:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Yet still our state is brimming with structurally deficient bridges.

Constantly widening the turnpike and 119, while beneficial to the flow of traffic, is not exactly the best use of our state construction money, imo.

Well what have you? There's a laundry list with a few million things on it and only so much money to go around. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-21 12:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If a gas tax increase would supply all of the funding that we need, yet a sudden increase in gasoline price would be bad for the economy, then embracing our natural resources seems like a logical solution. Our own oil and natural gas could get fuel costs low enough that a tax on them would be easy to absorb.

If he doesn't want to do that then why doesn't President Obama use the White House to promote an increase in the gas tax?

Uh, no. A few cents per gallon would generate billions a year in revenue. It's also got nothing to do with where we get the oil or Obama.

It's simply that one half of congress would prefer to let the infrastructure crumble than be seen to increase taxes.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 12:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh, no. A few cents per gallon would generate billions a year in revenue. It's also got nothing to do with where we get the oil or Obama.

It's simply that one half of congress would prefer to let the infrastructure crumble than be seen to increase taxes.

No it seems that one half of Congress is against American energy independence and fossil fuels no matter what.

No political party has the guts to increase the gas tax when fuel costs are this high and the economy is this bad. Even President Obama with his built in 47% support no matter what would have a difficult time. If he sold it, he could probably succeed.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-10-21 13:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The gas tax will most likely be raised this fall when Congress has to address the broke highway fund for the third time this year. McConnell took it off the table the first two times, despite pressure from the left to raise it, but its going to be unavoidable the third time around.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-21 13:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

No it seems that one half of Congress is against American energy independence and fossil fuels no matter what.

No political party has the guts to increase the gas tax when fuel costs are this high and the economy is this bad. Even President Obama with his built in 47% support no matter what would have a difficult time. If he sold it, he could probably succeed.

Energy independence doesn't mean drilling on your own land. It's a buzzword. I still can't figure out why you keep bringing up Obama, nobody in congress is proposing or passing taxes that he's vetoing, in fact it's quite the opposite. We can easily weather a few cents a gallon, regardless of how "bad" your purposeful distortion of the world needs it to be.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 13:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Energy independence doesn't mean drilling on your own land. It's a buzzword. I still can't figure out why you keep bringing up Obama, nobody in congress is proposing or passing taxes that he's vetoing, in fact it's quite the opposite. We can easily weather a few cents a gallon, regardless of how "bad" your purposeful distortion of the world needs it to be.

The President sells his agenda. If this was important to him and Democrats he would be out there talking about it and selling it. Anything he speaks about becomes a national issue. He talks about guns we talk about guns. He talks about Trevon Martin, we talk about Trevon Martin. He talks about the Confederate flag, we talk about the Confederate flag. He talks about a Muslim student with a fake bomb in school, we talk about a Muslin student with a fake bomb in school.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-21 13:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, sure, let's just throw on another tax. The government is already wasteful, so let's just throw more money at them instead of fixing the problem at the source. I'm sure they'll use it right this time!
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-21 13:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

you should have gotten those idaho bridge projects shovel ready for the trillion dollar economy super duper spendorific cluster bomb of hope that magically solved all of our problems six some odd years ago
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-21 13:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shovel ready has to be one of my favorite buzzwords. I think most Americans are ready to apply a shovel to their local elected officials.

Before voting for them again.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-21 13:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Yeah, sure, let's just throw on another tax. The government is already wasteful, so let's just throw more money at them instead of fixing the problem at the source. I'm sure they'll use it right this time!

The highway fund is directly funded by gas taxes. There aren't enough inspectors, it's plagued by poorly run private contractors, and the funding hasn't been increased in 20 years. The standard TP taglines don't apply.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-21 13:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Shovel ready has to be one of my favorite buzzwords. I think most Americans are ready to apply a shovel to their local elected officials.

Before voting for them again.

If Congress is any indication, they'll want to a apply a shovel to the whole lot... but their guy is the exception. It's a perfect way to ensure that something everyone hates remains exactly the same.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-21 13:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The highway fund is directly funded by gas taxes. There aren't enough inspectors, it's plagued by poorly run private contractors, and the funding hasn't been increased in 20 years. The standard TP taglines don't apply.

So what? The government is incapable of directing money to the highway fund from other taxes?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-21 13:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure construction labor Unions really keeps all of the costs of highway projects down too.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-21 13:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats the political impetus to that though? I mean honestly a major bridge collapse with mass deaths is probably the only way you're going to see a major shift towards actually... doing something. After everyone does some partisan masturbation.

Having it be a national embarrassment covered on world news is probably for the betterment of us all. The swift kick in the 'nads we need.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-21 13:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

But what does the government say about mysterious holes appearing everywhere around the world?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-21 13:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So what? The government is incapable of directing money to the highway fund from other taxes?

With already massive deficits, you'd expect them to channel money AWAY from already underfunded things to the highway fund rather than raising one of the most successful programs in US history? The highway fund is one of the few taxes that the right used to champion. It's a direct usage tax, pays almost exclusively to the private sector, and benefit corporations immensely.

Your standard response to everything tax related simply doesn't apply. It's childish to advocate against it and demonstrates just how destructive and immature the TP platform is.

I'm sure construction labor Unions really keeps all of the costs of highway projects down too.

Prevailing wage, look it up.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-21 13:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Interstate commerce?

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-21 13:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

With already massive deficits, you'd expect them to channel money AWAY from already underfunded things to the highway fund rather than raising one of the most successful programs in US history? The highway fund is one of the few taxes that the right used to champion. It's a direct usage tax, pays almost exclusively to the private sector, and benefit corporations immensely.

Your standard response to everything tax related simply doesn't apply. It's childish to advocate against it and demonstrates just how destructive and immature the TP platform is.

I don't give a crap about the TP platform. Also, no, I don't expect them to channel money away from underfunded things. I expect them to channel money away from the mass of bloated, useless things that they waste billions of dollars on annually. Don't pretend that those don't exist.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-21 13:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Shovel ready has to be one of my favorite buzzwords.

jassik is just jelly mad because he has been stuck in a idaho highway sinkhole for six years waiting for the shovel readiness to happen

and idaho was all like what 200 billion dollars?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-21 13:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't give a crap about the TP platform. Also, no, I don't expect them to channel money away from underfunded things. I expect them to channel money away from the mass of bloated, useless things that they waste billions of dollars on annually. Don't pretend that those don't exist.

Easiest thing to say, hardest thing to actually do.

There's a point where austerity becomes cutting off your nose to spite your face. Roads are a critical link in the American commerce engine and rightfully should be high priority for upkeep and renewal.

But yeah, little Timmy needs to drown horribly in a schoolbus full of children before we see some actual leadership. His teacher needs to look right into the camera and cite his burning desire to be an engineer one day for added irony.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-21 13:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, oil subsidies, military contractors, drug research, and of course, planned parenthood. The gas tax is the most fair tax around sans lotteries.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-10-21 13:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you provide realistic examples of cuts that would equal the amount of revenue generated by a federal gas tax?
First Page 2 3 ... 1028 1029 1030 ... 1375 1376 1377