Are You A Lukewarm Christian?

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are You A Lukewarm Christian?
Are You A Lukewarm Christian?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 19 20 21
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I should ask a Hooters waitress if she believes in God. Should prove to be quite entertaining. On many levels.

I would even give her a big tip if she can prove or disprove the existence of.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 09:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This all started because jet derailed with saying "fedora atheists dont exist because im going to try to invent a definition paradox".

I even posted a link where Richard Dawkins, the neckbeard jesus, comments on the subject. If you're upset that this derailed for 2 pages, blame the guy who tried to smoke and mirrors by disagreeing with a widely accepted term.

Jet LACKS BELIEF IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THEREFORE HE IS OUTSIDE OF THE REALM OF ITS POWER. He doesn't refuse to live by the law of english. He just pretends it's not there. It's not a decision. We don't know english from birth so it's not like he's "deciding" to not know what hes talking about.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I was born a Spanish Atheist does that count ? I was indoctrinated with Spanish and I'm still pissed about it.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 09:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Why can't it be 5 o clock yet. Work is SOOOOOO boring when it's slow T.T

Odin.Jassik said: »

There are some very smart Christians who design these kinds of logical arguments to manipulate stupid people. And people like you and Amand repeat them like they have some merit, they don't.

Jet instigated this, not Amand. Just sayin.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Not believing has no fury like an Atheist scorned ?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 09:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

Then I suppose it's ironic that both definitions, positive and negative, mean the same thing?

Fundamentally they are opposed. Because disbelief means choosing not to believe the truth, that's not the same as no belief. No belief, because the term atheism is woefully inadiquit and almost always misused (just using it for simplicity as its the socially accepted term). Lack of religious beliefs is not a belief there is no god, it's no belief in supernatural forces or design.

When you setup the argument with 2 choices that are actually the same, it's disgustingly dishonest.

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

I am not repeating anything. And what doesn't have merit in what I said? I stated truth. Disprove my statements if you think it is rubbish. You can't. For people that claim to believe in logic you seem to be incapable of it.

Edit: was this just a backhanded compliment and you calling me smart? Aww shucks Jassik. *blush*

Misguided and misinformed, but not stupid.

There is no merit in your arguement, because you set the stage with 2 identical choices then challenge people to prove a negative as I just explained. Choosing to use words like "disbelief" and grouping militant anti-theists in with people who simply live their life around the reality of the universe as the same thing. Atheism and Religion are not 2 sides of the same coin, that would imply they both align on at least one front but are opposed in approach. They aren't.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-01-31 09:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I should ask a Hooters waitress if she believes in God. Should prove to be quite entertaining. On many levels.

I would even give her a big tip if she can prove or disprove the existence of.
If she can prove or disprove the existence of God, she would need to have more than a big tip.

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
But~~~~

It's easier to blame those who you don't agree with than those who actually instigated the fight....
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Smart women work at Hooters I "believe" it so therefore it is.

A militant Atheist if I believed in something it would be that.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 09:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There are some very smart Christians who design these kinds of logical arguments to manipulate stupid people. And people like you and Amand repeat them like they have some merit, they don't.

I'm not interested in who started it in this thread, it's not the first time he's used these same antagonistic tactics.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 09:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

They are the only two choices Jet. It's not complicated. Either you believe God is real or you believe God is not real.

Your issue, as always, stems from your huge personality flaw in that you BELIEVE you are smarter than you really are. Time and time again you display it. You like to BELIEVE that you are incapable of BELIEF because you're somehow just too damn smart. Look around at your life. Would the smartest person live the way you do?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want to yell into a laptop till people agree with me damn it !
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 09:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not interested in who started it in this thread, it's not the first time he's used these same antagonistic tactics.

He didn't antagonise! I made a statement > dropped it > he decided to pick a fight with my "wording" apparently > i retorted > 10 mins later amand showed up D:

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
settle down palindrome man!

yessir T.T
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 09:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

They are the only two choices Jet. It's not complicated. Either you believe God is real or you believe God is not real.

Your issue, as always, stems from your huge personality flaw in that you BELIEVE you are smarter than you really are. Time and time again you display it. You like to BELIEVE that you are incapable of BELIEF because you're somehow just too damn smart. Look around at your life. Would the smartest person live the way you do?

Or, as stated many times by many people, he has NO BELIEF in god.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to go to the church of Atheism and do nothing. Thanks Jet.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 09:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not interested, I just really want to fight with Aman is what he is basically saying lol. Tell me another choice then Jassik. Once presented with the idea that there is a God and it cannot be proven what are the possible outcomes for you? I said
1) You belive there is a God
2) You believe there is no God

Since you claim this is a bogus argument, tell me other choices.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 09:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik you are smarter than this. Pick your battles better if you really wanna fight with me. This one is a loser.

Edit: Is this a true or false statement. "Jet believes that there is no God."
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

To me the correct choice is to admit you aren't sure. But some people are too proud to do that.

I mean at least if you say you can't prove or disprove you are being honest.

Plus you don't have to be a *** about believing or lack of belief.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 10:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not interested, I just really want to fight with Aman is what he is basically saying lol. Tell me another choice then Jassik. Once presented with the idea that there is a God and it cannot be proven what are the possible outcomes for you? I said
1) You belive there is a God
2) You believe there is no God

Since you claim this is a bogus argument, tell me other choices.

3. Have no belief regarding the existence of god
4. Don't care to contemplate the subject
5. Have no need or use for god to explain the universe to you
6. Flying spaghetti monster
7. Ancient astronaut theory
8. any of the thousands of poly-theistic religions
9. any of the hundreds of non-deistic religions

You pose the question with 2 options that are exactly the same because you only see it in terms of "god exists, and you either believe or choose to believe he doesn't". There are many other possible conclusions when presented with the idea of a creator.

Our existence doesn't require a creator, and the best you can do is ask people to prove that something they don't care about doesn't exist and repeat the same logical fallacies.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 10:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik you are smarter than this. Pick your battles better if you really wanna fight with me. This one is a loser.

That is an assumption, it's also designed to paint the argument that not believing in god is a religion. You built your house upon the sand.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-01-31 10:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

No, there are more than two.

Here are three more:

The agnostic choice: Or IDK. No firm evidence either way.

My personal choice: I prefer to believe in a God.

The cultural choice: I was raised to believe in God.

Everything is NOT black or white.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-31 10:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

grey

[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 10:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That is an assumption, it's also designed to paint the argument that not believing in god is a religion. You built your house upon the sand.

Are you thick as a brick? Not believing in something is believing in the opposite of something. It isn't a difficult concept. You can't even disguss not believing in something without discussing belief; BECAUSE NOT BELIEVING REQUIRES BELIEF.

dude. disappointed.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 10:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

No, there are more than two.

Here are three more:

The agnostic choice: Or IDK. No firm evidence either way.

My personal choice: I prefer to believe in a God.

The cultural choice: I was raised to believe in God.

Everything is NOT black or white.

False. Uncertainty in whether you believe or not is not the absence of belief. It is just confusion in what you believe.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 10:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

None of those choices are valid. I'm sorry Jassik. Maybe #4 if you asked a Buddhist while he is in deep meditation and cannot hear your question. Or else remain completely ignorant of the subject of God, but everything you listed requires belief in God or belief in no God. My choices are the only choices.

The only way to have no belief is if you had irrefutable proof beyond belief one way or the other. Read your post again, you can't even convince yourself you are correct.

I'll ask again. true or false. Jet believes there is no God.

Many people I know have no use for contemplating the existence of god, it's not that they don't believe in god, it's that they have never considered it. I have no real opinion about the existence of god other than the fact that our current understanding of the universe doesn't require his existence in any form.

As for your question, it's false and flawed. Jet has stated clearly that he "doesn't believe in god". That means he has no belief, your question assumes that he believes something when he doesn't. The wording you can't let go of is a stepping stone to another talking point. And without that exact wording, your entire argument falls apart. Jet has no religion.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 10:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you thick as a brick? Not believing in something is believing in the opposite of something. It isn't a difficult concept. You can't even disguss not believing in something without discussing belief; BECAUSE NOT BELIEVING REQUIRES BELIEF.

dude. disappointed.

Wrong. Not believing in something could even be never having heard of it. Someone who has never heard of Taoism doesn't "believe it's not true", they have no belief. Again, this has been explained to you over and over with dictionary definitions and visual aids.

Drop it, you're antagonizing and taunting people the same why you cry to mods about when people do it to you.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-01-31 10:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think this is even a debate about religion or lack there of, at least, not any more. This is more of a squabble over English comprehension.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I don't think this is even a debate about religion or lack there of, at least, not any more. This is more of a squabble over English comprehension.

Me fail English that is unpossible.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 19 20 21