Shut 'em Down!

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Shut 'em down!
Shut 'em down!
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 99 100 101
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 14:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What your government "is" boils down to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When we send shitty people to Congress, expect to get ***for results. You know, the Congressmen and women who don't believe in evolution, have no *** clue what they stand for and generally get elected as career pols. Couple that with rampant greed and corporations being able to so strongly influence the government and you have a recipe for our oligarchs.

If only we could package and export diabetes, we'd have the economy humming overnight.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-10-08 14:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So you agree that the article is manipulative in the way it presents its narrative then? Good to know we're on the same page finally.
[+]
By Zerowone 2013-10-08 14:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

it totally counts!

Maybe if you didn't put the headline of the article as the text to appear for the link you could say you didn't but you did and added commentary that's technically godwin's law.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 14:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
And we've been Godwined. Was a good run. I'll get the lights on the way out.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-08 14:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
"When finally allowed to leave, the bus was not allowed to halt at all along the 2.5-hour trip out of the park, not even to stop at private bathrooms that were open along the route."

O-bummer's at it again,a pro immigration rally in a DC park? Sure no problem but there shall be NO PEE BREAKS exiting national parks during the govt. shutdown.

Nothing to do with Obama, good try tho. Not even interesting.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-08 15:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So you agree that the article is manipulative in the way it presents its narrative then? Good to know we're on the same page finally.

you're on the same page as nausi?

[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-10-08 15:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
quality is a bit grey, it is better in some ways and worse in some.

no country is as thorough with their meat as America.

Yet Americans are stupid enough to believe that anything "Organic" is better for you than non-organic.

The place my boyfriend works gets their meat all from farms around the area that gets vacuum-sealed up and shipped. No preservatives at all. Nothing they get is frozen, either. Yet it's not "organic", but it's still just as good for you.

They also make their ground beef with the vacuum-sealed beef on site, no extra preservatives to ensure that it's "fresh".

That in my case is worth the extra dollar per pound to get something that I know is good.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-08 15:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 15:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »

Yet Americans are stupid enough to believe that anything "Organic" is better for you than non-organic.

The place my boyfriend works gets their meat all from farms around the area that gets vacuum-sealed up and shipped. No preservatives at all. Nothing they get is frozen, either. Yet it's not "organic", but it's still just as good for you.

They also make their ground beef with the vacuum-sealed beef on site, no extra preservatives to ensure that it's "fresh".

That in my case is worth the extra dollar per pound to get something that I know is good.

The organic / natural remedies craze is a pushback against the horrendous conditions of factory farms, misinformation on chemical additives, things like 'pink slime' and the skyrocketing costs of healthcare.

When one trip to the hospital or getting sick can literally wipe you out overnight, you bet people are going to latch onto drinking magic potions of beets/carrots, consume CoQ10 like its going out of style and purchase books about new age mysticism and how leylines can cure cancer.

It's all silly but logical when we live in such an unhealthy society with fear rampant. I could probably make a mint dressed up like a White Mage going on for hours about the miracles of Esuna and how I can Erase your arteries for 4 easy payments of 9.95.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-10-08 15:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

The organic / natural remedies craze is a pushback against the horrendous conditions of factory farms, misinformation on chemical additives, things like 'pink slime' and the skyrocketing costs of healthcare.

When one trip to the hospital or getting sick can literally wipe you out overnight, you bet people are going to latch onto drinking magic potions of beets/carrots, consume CoQ10 like its going out of style and purchase books about new age mysticism and how leylines can cure cancer.

It's all silly but logical when we live in such an unhealthy society with fear rampant. I could probably make a mint dressed up like a White Mage going on for hours about the miracles of Esuna and how I can Erase your arteries for 4 easy payments of 9.95.
It's not just fear but also being "included". Most people follow the bandwagon of "if everyone else does it, then I have to as well to maintain my status". It's crazy how someone can slap on "Organic" and double the price while it sells out. Just because people are misinformed and stupid.

Also it's very irritating because big chain stores can get away with that, leaving smaller businesses in the dust because the prices are already higher than that of the larger stores. You get what you pay for, they say. Most people pay for stupid.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-08 15:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just posted the quote from the interview. Occurring to the interviewee, the rangers forced them out of the park. Refusing to let them stop for pictures or even a bathroom break. What is the objection to those facts being presented by the interviewee? Your only objection is that what is said is counterproductive to YOUR narrative. This is a discussion, different narratives are suppose to be presented.

------

"Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis."

I specifically didn't include the "gestapo" reference, in what I quoted so I didn't make a comparison to Hitler. I proper violation of Godwin's Law would be as follows:

"O-bummer's at it again sending his "Gestapo" arm of the NPS to kick out tourists from parks without bathroom breaks"
By Zerowone 2013-10-08 15:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

except if it was a "Gestapo" they wouldn't have ever left the park alive to tell the tale.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 15:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not just fear but also being "included". Most people follow the bandwagon of "if everyone else does it, then I have to as well to maintain my status". It's crazy how someone can slap on "Organic" and double the price while it sells out. Just because people are misinformed and stupid.

Also it's very irritating because big chain stores can get away with that, leaving smaller businesses in the dust because the prices are already higher than that of the larger stores. You get what you pay for, they say. Most people pay for stupid.

Organic has allowed many smaller farmers room on the market to push their "fresh" goods rather than what was previously dominated by large-scale farms churning out the cheapest produce/vegetables money could buy. When I go shopping I can actually choose between factory-farm eggs or pay slightly more for some organic eggs off a farm in upstate NY. Farmers come down from upstate frequently to peddle their wares in Manhattan and they generally seem to have big crowds ready to purchase whatever is in season.

(Blue Potatoes get me every time. Such a kid.)

The unsavory business practices of companies like Monsanto has also made buying locally sourced products a political statement against globalization rather than anything about personal health. You could make an argument that without the agricultural revolution our society wouldn't be possible but most people aren't interested in the details of how GMOs/monocropping are integral to maintaining proper stockpiles of food.

The health craze is a statement about our healthcare though. It's become a bizarre form of preventative medicine because so many people cannot afford to visit a doctor, doctors have very little time to sit down and talk to patients or only go to a doctor when their dealing with diseases in their advanced stages.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-10-08 15:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I just posted the quote from the interview. Occurring to the interviewee, the rangers forced them out of the park. Refusing to let them stop for pictures or even a bathroom break. What is the objection to those facts being presented by the interviewee? Your only objection is that what is said is counterproductive to YOUR narrative. This is a discussion, different narratives are suppose to be presented.

Keeping an already funded website (letsmove.org) online: Playing politics

Photo ops in front of national monuments, loaded questions about kids with cancer, and horror stories of old people being ejected from Yellowstone: Not playing politics

You're gonna have to walk me through this one.

But really they should have just armed and collared the old people a la Battle Royale. Last fogy alive gets to take their picture with *** Yogi Bear.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
Server: Siren
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-08 16:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Smokey the Bear has been furloughed... Maybe we can get McGriff the crime dog to take the spot!
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 17:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Keeping an already funded website (letsmove.org) online: Playing politics

Photo ops in front of national monuments, loaded questions about kids with cancer, and horror stories of old people being ejected from Yellowstone: Not playing politics

You're gonna have to walk me through this one.

But really they should have just armed and collared the old people a la Battle Royale. Last fogy alive gets to take their picture with *** Yogi Bear.

They should lock the entirety of congress into the building with no food or water and see how long it takes to get a resolution.

I'm banking on the Tea Party staging a prison hunger strike until ACA is defunded, god knows most of them could spare a few calories.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 17:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Squishytaru said: »
So go out and buy insurance. It's more "affordable" now you know, the rest of us stiffs have been forced to pay more, specifically for you. Plus you'll get a subsidy too, so there's no excuse.

Yeah, I know right? Personally I would rather that only my relatives were insured and we all payed more for all the people who go to the doctor or emergency room with no insurance and then can't and don't pay the bill. That way we still pay more and you don't have to worry about anyone but your own. Republican high-five!

While we are at it I don't use social security, disability, medicare, public schools, public transportation, national parks, most things related to NASA, etc so why am I paying for all of these things!!!?
What a bunch of f-ing freeloaders those people are visiting the national parks that us Americans pay for!
Disability?! Get a job hippies! You can still work at a desk in a wheel chair or not, just get some pain killers and muscle relaxants to ease your pain while you do it. Assuming you have health insurance for those pills and doctor care for that accident you had that put you on disability, oh, wai-

I was with you until you brought up NASA. It amounts to such a small portion of our national budget and is directly responsible for such a large portion of wealth through innovation. It's the pinnacle of stepping on a dollar to pick up a dime.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-10-08 17:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Why don't we all go a year without all the innovations that NASA has provided and see exactly why we want to continue funding it?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 17:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So go out and buy insurance. It's more "affordable" now you know, the rest of us stiffs have been forced to pay more, specifically for you. Plus you'll get a subsidy too, so there's no excuse.

Yeah, I know right? Personally I would rather that only my relatives were insured and we all payed more for all the people who go to the doctor or emergency room with no insurance and then can't and don't pay the bill. That way we still pay more and you don't have to worry about anyone but your own. Republican high-five!

While we are at it I don't use social security, disability, medicare, public schools, public transportation, national parks, most things related to NASA, etc so why am I paying for all of these things!!!?
What a bunch of f-ing freeloaders those people are visiting the national parks that us Americans pay for!
Disability?! Get a job hippies! You can still work at a desk in a wheel chair or not, just get some pain killers and muscle relaxants to ease your pain while you do it. Assuming you have health insurance for those pills and doctor care for that accident you had that put you on disability, oh, wai-

I was with you until you brought up NASA. It amounts to such a small portion of our national budget and is directly responsible for such a large portion of wealth through innovation. It's the pinnacle of stepping on a dollar to pick up a dime.

It was impossible to be with me regardless of me mentioning NASA or not.

it was an opportunity to point out why nasa doesn't belong in the category of expensive social programs. it costs a fraction of what social security does and has basically no pork or waste. and it generates orders of magnitude of its cost. i don't think anyone claiming to be fiscally responsible would call nasa a waste of money. they should easily have double their budget as mandatory spending and as much again in appropriations. even that amount would be less than 5% of the budget.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-08 17:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flavin said: »
Smokey the Bear has been furloughed... Maybe we can get McGriff the crime dog to take the spot!

I think it's McGruff. Anyways, Obama maintains the American approach by refusing to budge on radical demands from the Tea Party to come to the table while they have the govt shutdown. Meanwhile the GOP cries fall on deaf ears. Open the govt Boehner, that's your only option.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 17:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Siren.Flavin said: »

I think it's McGruff. Anyways, Obama maintains the American approach by refusing to budge on radical demands from the Tea Party to come to the table while they have the govt shutdown. Meanwhile the GOP cries fall on deaf ears. Open the govt Boehner, that's your only option.

that's not his only option... he could drag the country backward about 70 years financially.

the risk now is that the pubs look like crazy people if they don't win. so the only way they have a hope of retraining the majority is to win or burn the place down. caving will only hurt their standing with their own voters who see them as wimps.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-10-08 18:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

stop pretending to be upset about this partial government shutdown. the angst doesn't even seem a little bit real.

Richard Branson > NASA

Elon Musk > high speed rail promising union owned politicians
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 18:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we blow up the global economy already?

Obama is probably going to cave to the Teapots before the debt ceiling since he's probably well aware the maniacs will probably detonate the economy to spite him and the ACA. Boehner is hoping Obama blinks before he has to since he's well aware of the consequences of defaulting on the debt. If he's forced to floor a clean CR, his speakership is probably over in a shameful way summing up an overall feeble speakership tenure.

Obama's never been very good at choking the opposition and evoking some Sam Jackson "Do I look like a ***?". If Obama is a dictator, he does a terrible job of showing his taste for autocracy. I mean ***, he's the drone kingpin.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-10-08 18:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama is probably going to cave to the Teapots before the debt ceiling since he's probably well aware the maniacs will probably detonate the economy to spite him and the ACA.

That mindset is why Obama is unable to accomplish anything and be a good leader. He takes everything personally and thinks any real disagreement or opposing viewpoint is made simply because someone just doesn't like him personally. He doesn't even consider very valid arguments and likely disastrous "unintended" consequences of the Obamacare monstrosity that are raised.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 19:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The reality that the Republican goal since' 08 has been to destroy this President isn't even in question anymore. It's been the modus operandi since inauguration day. Constant sabotage to win in '12 and then Romney done goofed.

He's the POTUS and there is no secret that most of the vocal politicians who have conspired against him since the '08 election don't like him and have nothing to gain in being even chummy with the guy. Obama tried to negotiate and be "bipartisan" and he got a rude awakening when he got rebuffed. Dems agree on this, reasonable Republicans agree on this. Not even up for debate anymore unless you think "negotiate" means "capitulate".

Things have gotten so bad it's not even standard antagonistic politics but outright hatred of the President. Something that you should expect from citizens but not the people tasked with seeing the government functions. Then again the House has taken in so many retards that I'm confident half of them thing Apollo carries the Sun across the sky in a magic chariot or that you can't explain why the tides go in and out.

It's why Chris Christie got flayed alive for you know... respecting the POTUS after Sandy. How dare he look like he cares about this president, how dare he give the guy a hug and a handshake. It's also why Joe Wilson yelled "You Lie!" at the SOTU address.

I can't wait for Christie to catch flak in 2016 if he runs for being friendly with the President and being thankful for federal support.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-08 19:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we blow up the global economy already?

Obama is probably going to cave to the Teapots before the debt ceiling since he's probably well aware the maniacs will probably detonate the economy to spite him and the ACA. Boehner is hoping Obama blinks before he has to since he's well aware of the consequences of defaulting on the debt. If he's forced to floor a clean CR, his speakership is probably over in a shameful way summing up an overall feeble speakership tenure.

Obama's never been very good at choking the opposition and evoking some Sam Jackson "Do I look like a ***?". If Obama is a dictator, he does a terrible job of showing his taste for autocracy. I mean ***, he's the drone kingpin.

Haha, no. Obama isn't going to blink and Reid is definitely not going to blink after last year. The tea party isn't going to shut down the govt and win.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 19:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

One day we'll get reasonable Republicans again. One day.

I found myself agreeing with Peter King last week when he was interviewed. The Islamophobic Pete King. How dare I agree with a Republican!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 19:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

One day we'll get reasonable Republicans again. One day.

I found myself agreeing with Peter King last week when he was interviewed. The Islamophobia Pete King. How dare I agree with a Republican!

Because the party has shifted so far right that they former fringe members seem moderate... I'm frequently accused on here of being a Liberal, but 10 years ago I would be considered slightly right of the moderate republicans. My Republican politician uncle frequently told me I was too conservative on fiscal issues.

He lost the most recent election as an independent after losing a primary against a man who ran ads claiming that moderate pubs and democrats were conspiring to outlaw religion and take their guns.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 99 100 101