CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law
CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-10-02 15:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are you all still paying attention to him? He enjoys screaming at the top of his lungs that he's been ordained by the all mighty accounting gods to bring us plebeians messages from on high, but someone else was kind enough to hand us a formulaic rundown that he couldn't as far as past, present, and predicting future GDP trends while taking into account multiple variables.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-10-02 16:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Bacon, seriously, you are claiming and have been throughout this thread that this increase will bring people up to middle class wage levels. In fact your first example was hyperbolic about living in upper-east side manhattan penthouse.
I'm really not trying to be catty, despite my avatar, but do you have selective reading?

Obviously the Lucille Ball Manhattan analogy whoosed you if you think that I'm insinuating that raising the minimum wage will elevate poverty-class to that status. You need to go back re-read- it has more to do with the cost of living extremities in CA. So go back and read that.

Also I see that you were unable to provide me to the information requested? Correct? So again all you've all been able to provide is information about the cost of living of the state of CA as a whole which is completely irrelevant number. The site you listed which is completely BS no offense. It's lists a total of 11 cities and 1 county in the whole state. And what do you know it lists 10 medium to high priced areas?!

I'm going to repeat this one last time since you are circumventing this point repeatedly. There are several high-price point areas in the state of CA that throw those averages off immensely, which is why it's important to highlight to the cost of living by city and by county. They are located in the counties of San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco.

Also you don't seem to understand that assisted living in the state of CA varies by municipality and county. As I'm sure it does in TX or NY because they have they money to do so. So I'm not quite sure how you are calculating assisted living into your equation but half off your rent, reduced utilities and free food and health-care has a dramatic effect on one's "monthly budget."
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-02 16:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Bacon, seriously, you are claiming and have been throughout this thread that this increase will bring people up to middle class wage levels. In fact your first example was hyperbolic about living in upper-east side manhattan penthouse.
I'm really not trying to be catty, despite my avatar, but do you have selective reading?

Obviously the Lucille Ball Manhattan analogy whoosed you if you think that I'm insinuating that raising the minimum wage will elevate poverty-class to that status. You need to go back re-read- it has more to do with the cost of living extremities in CA. So go back and read that.

Also I see that you were unable to provide me to the information requested? Correct? So again all you've all been able to provide is information about the cost of living of the state of CA as a while which is completely irrelevant number.

I'm going to repeat this one last time since you are circumventing this point repeatedly. There are several high-price point areas in the state of CA that throw those averages off immensely, which is why it's important to highlight to the cost of living by city and by county. They are located in the counties of San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco.

Also you don't seem to understand that assisted living in the state of CA varies by municipality and county. As I'm sure it does in TX or NY because they have they money to do so. So I'm not quite sure how you are calculating assisted living into your equation but half off your rent, reduced utilities and free food and health-care as a dramatic effect on one's "monthly budget."

If you can't click and read links then I'm done even trying to have a conversation with you. None of the links I posted had anything to do with states cost of living and everything to do with cities, including ones you "requested".
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-10-02 16:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Really only Fresno was listed and it doesn't clarify if that's Fresno County or Fresno City? Particularly since Orange County is an option listed in "cities."

EDIT:

Family Budget Calculator

Key word Family. Doesn't include option for single individual. Lack of city diversity. This link groups SD, LA, OC and SF county together rather that display the individual cities within in them, thus the hyper-expensive areas in the counties are throwing off the average.

Council for Community and Economic Research
Ok this this website is a bit unclear. Los Angeles-Long Beach? That's not a city. They both are their own municipalities. Same thing with Lancaster-Palmdale. Additionally(and I should have clarified this earlier) a city in the state of CA has sub-cities/neighborhoods which can add to the confusion.
Actually this is kinda a relevant photo. So yeah everything on the west side of the map is ridiculous expensive(Malibu to Hollywood Hills East) some of the more expensive areas in the state. While some of the red/brown is not so "nice."
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-02 16:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Why are you all still paying attention to him? He enjoys screaming at the top of his lungs that he's been ordained by the all mighty accounting gods to bring us plebeians messages from on high, but someone else was kind enough to hand us a formulaic rundown that he couldn't as far as past, present, and predicting future GDP trends while taking into account multiple variables.
What's your beef?

You did realize that Zero was trolling you, right?
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-02 16:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Really only Fresno was listed and it doesn't clarify if that's Fresno County or Fresno City? Particularly since Orange County is an option listed in "cities."

http://www.epi.org/resources/budget/
Lists more than fresno and the methodology of how they split up geographic areas is included.

http://www.infoplease.com/business/economy/cost-living-index-us-cities.html
Only lists some US cities. This is not the full database, it is in an example of some of the data from COLI and the title of the page states this (selected cities).

http://www.coli.org/
Is the cost of living index for cities throughout the US and this is produced by the AACRA.

Quote:
Provide me the cost of living of a single individual(per month) in the cities of:

Fresno, Stockton, Modesto, Fontana, Watts, Escondido, Compton, Boyle Heights, Moreno Valley

Oh that's right you won't be able to because data that in detail isn't available. It's only available by county and by the state, which shows nothing.
I've provided you links that show cost of living statistics for cities in the US is available and if the government websites weren't down I could show you the statistics for fresno, or I could pay COLI, which is not happening.

Either way, statistics for city cost of living is tracked to that detail.

So far in this conversation I'm the only one poviding citations, all you do is throw out random numbers and ad hominem attacks.

Edit:

Really
Key word Family. Doesn't include option for single individual. Lack of city diversity. This link groups SD, LA, OC and SF county together rather that display the individual cities within in them, thus the hyper-expensive areas in the counties are throwing off the average.
Yes which is why I said this
Quote:
The economic policy institute has data on cities. This particular site looks at families, one adult and one child being the lowest.

However, in the methodolgy page it lists how those numbers were calculated and you can calculate this for single families. individuals. However, the websites that have the data are currently down.
By Zerowone 2013-10-02 16:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Pease limitations: They apply to individuals making 250k/yr+ or joint filers at 300k+ on their gross annual income. Which is specifically W2's i.e what an employer pays an employee. However, the rich don't just receive W2's thats the catch in someones half truth. They have capital gains on investments in the form of stocks, bonds, real estate, step ups and charitable deduction percentages.

In the scenario of modern day American capitalism where you are making 250k+/yr and only have W2s, then you're doing something wrong in that you aren't investing your money and ultimately will not be rich.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-10-02 16:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

http://livingwage.mit.edu/pages/about
7 of 9.
http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/0601927000
http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/0607775000
http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/0609948354
http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/0607124680
http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/0607322804
http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/0603715044
http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/0606549270
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-02 16:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
What's your beef?

He was trolling you...
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-10-02 16:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

I hate the phrase "skin in the game" ._.

was using Biden's term
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-10-02 16:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
What's your beef?

He was trolling you...

Fuuuccckkkk...Well, explains my annoyance with it.

I think I'm going to slink on out of here with "Dummy" scrolled across my forehead.

/cringe

EDIT: WTF is going on? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-10-02 16:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Quote:
I can assure you minium wage in Watts, CA with assisted living will cut it but it OBVIOUSLY won't in let's say La Jolla, CA

Something they forgot to mention, is that tax credits and deductions make your effective federal income tax somewhere around 0% when your under the poverty line. People making that little money really shouldn't be paying tax's anyway, they have nearly no disposable income as it is.

I think everyone should have skin in the game; even those of low income still need to pay tax. It is too easy to not give a crap about what the government does with our money if you don't pay into it. It becomes especially dangerous to democracy when the number of people not paying income tax grows to a large percentage. It leads to extremely irresponsible government spending.

They still pay social security, FICA and medicare tax's. They just end up making so little that they get refunded their income tax. The poor really don't have any money, we're talking about people surviving on the bare minimum here. It makes no sense to give someone food stamps but then take it away in income tax.

People need to seriously stop hating on the poor, they are a natural consequence of any society. They are also an easy source of hate, fear and anger. Piss on them too much and your in a revolution.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-02 17:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Zerowone said: »
Pease limitations: They apply to individuals making 250k/yr+ or joint filers at 300k+ on their gross annual income. Which is specifically W2's i.e what an employer pays an employee. However, the rich don't just receive W2's thats the catch in someones half truth. They have capital gains on investments in the form of stocks, bonds, real estate, step ups and charitable deduction percentages.

In the scenario of modern day American capitalism where you are making 250k+/yr and only have W2s, then you're doing something wrong in that you aren't investing your money and ultimately will not be rich.
Bolded for evidence that Zero has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

Italic for evidence that not only does Zero have absolutely no idea what he is talking about, but doesn't understand the meaning of business investments either.
By Zerowone 2013-10-02 17:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Italic for evidence that not only does Zero have absolutely no idea what he is talking about, but doesn't understand the meaning of business investments either.

thats weird because you haven't said why....
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-02 17:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

thats weird because you haven't said why....

His argument seems so persuasive until you said that...
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-10-02 17:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, that isn't really how it works. If you, as a "knowledgeable person" in the field, believe that someone is incorrect, it isn't simply enough to say "He's wrong!", except when the topic is fairly well known to the group or easily researched.

If he is incorrect, this gives you an opportunity to both demonstrate your knowledge of a topic by explaining *specifically* why what he stated was wrong, including referencing particular tax codes, formulas, or methodology.

You could argue that he should do the same with his statements, and you would be right.
[+]
By Zerowone 2013-10-02 17:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Here let me do it again but use your tactic: Bolded and Italicized because Kingbody said I have no idea what I am talking about, never corrected me or produced intelligent counterpoints to the contrary of what I said.

/pats Kingnobody on the head for being a silly sap. Hey Kingnobody here's a rhetorical question that disproves your point for you, ya charlatan:

Why do CEO's of major corporations hardly ever report a gross annual income of more than 500k but receive multi million dollar bonuses???????
[+]
By Jetackuu 2013-10-02 17:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Economic growth! A growing economy requires workers, when the need for workers outstrips the supply of them, they become more valuable. This is economics 101 (supply and demand). The last 5 years of tepid, barely enough to keep up with the population increase, part time jobs because of obamacare, just aren't gonna cut it.

Lower taxes! In order to grow, private businesses (not the government) need more capital and more promising returns on the money they make. If my idea for starting my own company where I need 10 skilled workers is not feasible because my tax bill doesn't leave enough left to cover my overhead and still be competitive, something is wrong.

Constrict the welfare state! If life is easy without work IE if you can eat, sleep, f*ck, play on the internet, and watch your flat screen cable without working, then you are too comfortable. Whatever mechanisms are in place to facilitate that level of laziness needs to be deconstructed. No one minds lending a helping hand, but subsidizing a wasted life is not nor should it be anyone's business.

Companies have been replacing full time positions with part time positions for years, way before Obama was elected into the presidency, so that's a crock of ***.

Trickle down economics is a myth, where were all these mystical jobs during the Bush tax cuts? Oh yeah, being shipped overseas.

The bold: lolno, people shouldn't have to work to have a roof over their head, to just survive, but that's not the world we live in, and technology hasn't advanced enough to cover the cost (as I'd like to shift the burden to technology, not money). But you continue dreaming about your boothstrap myth.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-10-02 17:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Here let me do it again but use your tactic: Bolded and Italicized because Kingbody said I have no idea what I am talking about, never corrected me or produced intelligent counterpoints to the contrary of what I said.

/pats Kingnobody on the head for being a silly sap. Hey Kingnobody here's a rhetorical question that disproves your point for you, ya charlatan:

Why do CEO's of major corporations hardly ever report a gross annual income of more than 500k but receive multi million dollar bonuses???????
I can field that one!
Bonuses of up to $1million USD are taxed at 25%, and 35% on the amount over 1 million:
e.g. for a 3million bonus, the tax amount would be 0.25*1*10^6 + 0.35*2*10^6 = 950k
Compared to treating it as normal income, where that entire amount (500k + 3million) would likely be taxed at 35% or higher.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-02 17:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

I can field that one!
Bonuses of up to $1million USD are taxed at 25%, and 35% on the amount over 1 million:
e.g. for a 3million bonus, the tax amount would be 0.25*1*10^6 + 0.35*2*10^6 = 950k
Compared to treating it as normal income, where that entire amount (500k + 3million) would likely be taxed at 35% or higher.

I wonder if that would qualify as a loophole...

Quote:
tax loophole
Web definitions
(Tax loopholes) Unintended weakness in the legal provisions in the tax system used by taxpayers to avoid paying tax liability.
http://www.moneywebtax.co.za/moneywebtax/view/moneywebtax/en/page1031

I think that unintended is a red herring, but those kinds of exceptions in the tax code are most definitely not unintentional.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-10-02 17:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.epi.org/resources/budget/
Lists more than fresno and the methodology of how they split up geographic areas is included.

http://www.infoplease.com/business/economy/cost-living-index-us-cities.html
Only lists some US cities. This is not the full database, it is in an example of some of the data from COLI and the title of the page states this (selected cities).

http://www.coli.org/
Is the cost of living index for cities throughout the US and this is produced by the AACRA.

Quote:
Provide me the cost of living of a single individual(per month) in the cities of:

Fresno, Stockton, Modesto, Fontana, Watts, Escondido, Compton, Boyle Heights, Moreno Valley

Oh that's right you won't be able to because data that in detail isn't available. It's only available by county and by the state, which shows nothing.
I've provided you links that show cost of living statistics for cities in the US is available and if the government websites weren't down I could show you the statistics for fresno, or I could pay COLI, which is not happening.

Either way, statistics for city cost of living is tracked to that detail.

So far in this conversation I'm the only one poviding citations, all you do is throw out random numbers and ad hominem attacks.

Edit:

Really
Yes which is why I said this
Quote:
The economic policy institute has data on cities. This particular site looks at families, one adult and one child being the lowest.

However, in the methodolgy page it lists how those numbers were calculated and you can calculate this for single families. individuals. However, the websites that have the data are currently down.

Seriously worth the selective reading. Did you just decide to reply to one line and not address the rest?

Those sites are lumping together major metropolitan ares. Please explain to me how Los Angeles and Long Beach is one city?! Your attempting to prove a point regarding demographics in relation to state counties/municipalities and you aren't even able to differentiate a county from city let alone when they lump two cities together.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-02 17:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously worth the selective reading. Did you just decide to reply to one line and not address the rest?

Those sites are pumping together major metropolitan ares. Please explain to me how los Angeles and long Beach is One city?!

Did you read the methodology section as to why that is the case? Somehow I'm guessing not since the first reply to the citations were about how it was all state data that I posted.

Milamber posted sites that aren't down. I'm sure you can read up the page and find them.

Now where is your proof that $10 an hour is on par with middle class income and will be in 2016?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-10-02 17:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

I can field that one!

I wonder if that would qualify as a loophole...

Quote:
tax loophole
Web definitions
(Tax loopholes) Unintended weakness in the legal provisions in the tax system used by taxpayers to avoid paying tax liability.
http://www.moneywebtax.co.za/moneywebtax/view/moneywebtax/en/page1031

I think that unintended is a red herring, but those kinds of exceptions in the tax code are most definitely not unintentional.

Apologies, that is in how witholding is calculated; it is also now increased to 39.6% for amounts over 1million for tax year 2013.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

Regarding how it is actually taxed (per end of year), I don't actually know, but would guess it is added as straight income. (This would be where an expert would chime in, with the appropriate reference).

We probably should keep in mind that the bonuses talked about aren't necessarily just cash, but other means of compensation as well.
By Zerowone 2013-10-02 17:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Long Beach is a city, Los Angeles is a city. Both cities border each other. Both cities are principal cities in the "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana Metropolitan Area" also known as "Metropolitan Los Angeles" also known as "Southland". Areas include Los Angeles county, Ventura county, Orange county, San Bernadino county, and Riverside.

The combined area covers 33,954 square miles (87,940.456 km2). It is considered 1 metropolitan area.

I lived there for 29yrs. Culver City/Baldwin Hills/Mar Vista/Venice Beach to be exact.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-10-02 18:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I did read the methodology section on the COLI.org page, however, just like you it's not addressing my point. I understand how it's comparing cost of living differences in urban areas. But it doesn't explain why it's lumping together large metropolitan areas with totally different economies.

You're failing to see my point you can't lump together such large urban areas and expect it to be accurate median across the geography. Los Angeles/long Beach is on par to lumping Dallas-FortWorth/san Antonio or NYC/medium sized city.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-02 18:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I did read the methodology section on the COLI.org page, however, just like you it's not addressing my point. I understand how it's comparing cost of living differences in urban areas. But it doesn't explain why it's lumping together large metropolitan areas with totally different economies.

You're failing to see my point you can't lump together such large urban areas and expect it to be accurate median across the geography. Los Angeles/long Beach is on par to lumping Dallas-FortWorth/san Antonio or NYC/medium sized city.

Methodology: Definition of areas
Quote:
A Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is defined by the Office of Management and Budget as having at least one urbanized area of 50,000 or more people, plus adjacent territory that has a high degree of social and economic integration with the core as measured by commuting ties (OMB 2009). Some of our data (housing section) require us to use Fair Market Rent areas (FMR areas). FMR areas are published by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (2013). They are divided into metropolitan FMR areas and nonmetropolitan FMR areas. Several of our components depend on the MSA categorization (child care and out-of-pocket medical costs in the health care section) and on population size of the MSA (transportation).

Since most metropolitan FMR areas match up with an MSA, we replaced all metropolitan FMR areas with the MSA in the list of “Family Budget” areas. The remaining nonmetropolitan FMR areas were labeled as non-MSA. The rural areas were also labeled as non-MSA.

When regional breakdowns were used for budget calculations, they are based on the Census Bureau Regions, per data availability (U.S. Census Bureau 2013).

Erm, dallas fort-worth are "lumped" together but San Antonio is very, very far away.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-02 18:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Metropolitan areas don't work like individual cities. Many have single shared infrastructure, rarely have separate government offices, shared economy, and their population density and wealth read out as a whole and not as individual cities. That's the reason for their conglomeration as a metropolitan area. That's not to say that they are all created equal, but you can count the greater LA area as a single economy for this purpose.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-10-02 18:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Long Beach is a city, Los Angeles is a city. Both cities border each other. Both cities are principal cities in the "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana Metropolitan Area" also known as "Metropolitan Los Angeles" also known as "Southland". Areas include Los Angeles county, Ventura county, Orange county, San Bernadino county, and Riverside.

The combined area covers 33,954 square miles (87,940.456 km2). It is considered 1 metropolitan area.

I lived there for 29yrs. Culver City/Baldwin Hills/Mar Vista/Venice Beach to be exact.

They don't have the same sales tax, they all have different utility companies, and very different assisted living programs(housing/food/healthcare etc).

rarely have separate government offices, shared economy, and their population density and wealth read out as a whole and not as individual cities.
But that's not the case here. Los Angeles and Long Beach have their own municipal governments. As does Orange County.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-10-02 18:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Quote:
I can assure you minium wage in Watts, CA with assisted living will cut it but it OBVIOUSLY won't in let's say La Jolla, CA

Something they forgot to mention, is that tax credits and deductions make your effective federal income tax somewhere around 0% when your under the poverty line. People making that little money really shouldn't be paying tax's anyway, they have nearly no disposable income as it is.

I think everyone should have skin in the game; even those of low income still need to pay tax. It is too easy to not give a crap about what the government does with our money if you don't pay into it. It becomes especially dangerous to democracy when the number of people not paying income tax grows to a large percentage. It leads to extremely irresponsible government spending.

They still pay social security, FICA and medicare tax's. They just end up making so little that they get refunded their income tax. The poor really don't have any money, we're talking about people surviving on the bare minimum here. It makes no sense to give someone food stamps but then take it away in income tax.

People need to seriously stop hating on the poor, they are a natural consequence of any society. They are also an easy source of hate, fear and anger. Piss on them too much and your in a revolution.

It's not hating. Hate is a word that people hide behind. For the sake of a Republic everyone needs to have a stake.
By Zerowone 2013-10-02 18:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't trying to argue you with, just addressing the point that Long Beach and Los Angeles are considered one metropolitan area. Its even hard to define a median for Los Angeles proper, traveling east to west the fluxation of wealth and poverty is immense and is even off set by deviations in the form Hancock Park, for instance, which is located between "Mid City" and an area called "Korea Town" which borders the outskirts of "Downtown". The outskirts of downtown are not exactly the high income areas. Baldwin Hills for instance is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the entire country and it shares its borders with "The Jungle" and Inglewood, along with Ladera Heights and Blair Hills. I recommend checking up on those names to get a better idea of what I'm trying to express.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12