Washington State Gets Rid Of "sexist" Language

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-07-10 06:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Melpomenae said: »
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
@Corres
This has been expressed over millions of years. Men are expected to die for women

Except not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_children_first

Stop watching Titanic for your historical information >.>

<.<

Seriously ....

Do you know understand how evolution works? Men are genetically hardwired to sacrifice for women and children. It's been that way for 20+ million years long before homo sapiens existed. The females stayed in the cave while the males went out and risked life & limb (we weren't the top of the food chain then) to acquire food. During pregnancy and for a few years afterwards females are essentially helpless, they have absolutely zero chance of fighting off or outrunning predators. Males on the other hand are expected to throw fight off those predators even if it gets a few of them killed. You don't need many males to perpetuate a primate species, you do need many females.
[+]
By Tymoris 2013-07-10 06:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyways you can't argue with a feminist because they'll just reframe everything into an emotional argument or just attempt to shame you. White knights will then jump to their aid in a hilarious attempt to earn "brownie points".

And another fallacy. It's kind of cute you try to pretend you're smart, yet you resort to these petty tricks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

Here read it and you can stop being emo about how you can't argue with a feminist because you can't use logic.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 06:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Feminists wouldn't want special rules for jobs like that. If they can't do it, they should be reviewed by upper management. Simple.

I'll repeat again "Feminism isn't looking for special rights for women"
The problem isn't feminism by definition, it's that the causes it champions for tend to drastically differ from their mission statement.

I fully support theoretical feminism and gender equality, but practical feminism is a laugh.
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
Server: Phoenix
user: brena
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 06:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
bla bla incoherent ***
did you seriously just say that?
i think you are absolutely in denial about the biological function men and women have evolved. Man and Women are NOT EQUAL. they both serve different functions. As they are not equal in functions it does not mean one is less worth than the other as a human being.
What in the hell is in your mind? do you even think about the 50% divorce rate with women being the ones initiating the divorce? do you not see the mind boggling young males (20-27) who do not even want to get a girlfriend and rather just have a job and hang out with their buddies?
Do you honestly believe that women are able to take responsibility to their actions? they are mostly unable to.
So what leaves this?
The final point: maled white knights, mangina, pussies, you call them what you want. little no-balls-*** who can not call out a women on *** behaviour. And even if someone does you call them our for misogyny.

if you are female or male does not matter to me. The things you wrote were absoluter emotional crap riddled with chick-logic. get a tampon!

.......Where are this emotional logic in my post you are talking about? I'm really not sure where you're getting that.
Biologically different, as we have different crotches? Sure. Show me how that makes us inferior, or different in any tangible way that's relant to anything rights based. You don't strike me as a biologist, though.

How you can equate feminism with divorces and super bros hanging out being bros (?) is mystifying and hilarious. H'okay.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-07-10 06:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Tymoris said: »
@Corres

F*cking hilarious. It's mind boggling to see feminists reframe male obligation into "male privilege" and then to add insult by saying "male privilege hurts men too".

Biologically speaking, males are disposable females are not. This has been expressed over millions of years. Men are expected to die for women and children, the reverse is not true. For centuries men have been expected to sacrifice their health, their money and their lives for the betterment of women and the children they bare. That has been so ingrained in men's psyche that people never stop to realize that more men are raped then women.

Girlwriteswhat has a very good series on youtube that completely breaks down the giant sh!t test that is feminism.

How many women died for their right to vote? How many Egyptians recently died for their right to vote?

Actually that's historically untrue and never mind the fact you again you and that other dude have gone into another fallacy. Nothing biological. But again you can go near that creepy white guy that can tell you how blacks are biologically inferior.

Hell even in the middle ages men and women were expected to carry their own weights with the same privileges and such. Even vikings had more respect towards women than what we see today.

How many women died for their right to vote? Far too many, how many women were raped in Egypt for their right to vote?

Point proven! Executed emotional plea (raped for vote!!!1001) with zero rational thought. Practiced cognitive dissonance with respect to gender norms during middle ages.

And finally, demonstrated misandry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaxKR4CAKf8

The term "creepy" is misandrous by definition. It refers to a male who shows sexual interest to a female who does not return that interest. The exact same behaviors would be practiced by an attractive guy and the women would not find it creepy. This is backed by evolution as a women who mated with an unworthy male was risking death if he couldn't provide food, shelter and fight off potential predators.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 06:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

@Corres
This has been expressed over millions of years. Men are expected to die for women

Except not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_children_first

Stop watching Titanic for your historical information >.>

<.<

Seriously ....

Do you know understand how evolution works? Men are genetically hardwired to sacrifice for women and children. It's been that way for 20+ million years long before homo sapiens existed. The females stayed in the cave while the males went out and risked life & limb (we weren't the top of the food chain then) to acquire food. During pregnancy and for a few years afterwards females are essentially helpless, they have absolutely zero chance of fighting off or outrunning predators. Males on the other hand are expected to throw fight off those predators even if it gets a few of them killed. You don't need many males to perpetuate a primate species, you do need many females.

I think you're confusing evolutionary biology with evolutionary psychology. Two totally different things.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-10 06:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The word creepy does not refer to a male who shows sexual interest to a female who does not return that interest by definition?
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 06:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

@Corres
During pregnancy and for a few years afterwards females are essentially helpless, they have absolutely zero chance of fighting off or outrunning predators.

Lol, wait, wut?
Where are you getting this from?
Helpless for a few years? The recovery time for childbirth is 3 days for normal life activity and 6 weeks for the entire recovery. O_o;
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-07-10 06:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Feminists wouldn't want special rules for jobs like that. If they can't do it, they should be reviewed by upper management. Simple.

I'll repeat again "Feminism isn't looking for special rights for women"
The problem isn't feminism by definition, it's that the causes it champions for tend to drastically differ from their mission statement.

I fully support theoretical feminism and gender equality, but practical feminism is a laugh.

I'm an egalitarian. I'm for true equality, no special treatment for anyone. Pure merit based society. Feminism was originally a bunch of bored rich white housewives who were pissed their husbands didn't let them have a say in their business's or law practices. Later is because a movement to end gender discrimination. Both of those were successful and proper equality movements. The current feminist movement is a hate movement, it's leaders and clerics do nothing but express hateful speech towards men. It's nothing but a giant anti-male scream fest with little rational or reason. I just ignore them and make fun of them whenever they attempt to engage me in rational debate.

Primary reason I won't be marrying a western women. No way in hell will I give them unilateral unchecked access to the fruits of my success. Way to many sexy girls on this side of the Pacific.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-07-10 06:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
The word creepy does not refer to a male who shows sexual interest to a female who does not return that interest by definition?

"Creepy" is an emotional feeling that a women gets when she perceives sexual interest from a male she feels is unworthy. It's not a conscious feeling, it's a purely instinctual reaction. Unworthy males were dangerous to a women due to the 9 month gestation period plus the four year weening period (humans children are not capable of being basically self sufficient until their about four ~ five). A pregnant women or a women with a young child would not be able to gather food on her own, or fight off hungry predators. For a species that lived to about 30~40 there are very few mating opportunities and with high infant mortality and a good chance of dieing during child birth, females had to be incredibly selective on who they mated with.

So yes when a women refers to a guy as "creepy" its her objectifying him and relegating him as sexually undesirable.

Now watch the hamsters go into warp drive. They may even hit plaid.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2013-07-10 06:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we just arbitrarily giving words definitions here?
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 06:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, wait, wut?
Helpless for a few years? The recovery time for childbirth is 3 days for normal life activity and 6 weeks for the entire recovery. O_o;
i sure am glad those ancient caves have hospitals and medication to allow such speedy recovery

(also, pretty skeptical that anyone's reaching peak physical condition again in 6 weeks, even now)
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-07-10 06:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

And please don't throw some ***about women already having equality at me.

It doesn't help your case if you automatically dismiss anything that conflicts with your world view, especially if its statistics. (In b4 lies, damn lies) The best way to counter that would be to post statistics of your own and explain why the statistics of others do not make sense.

To me a wage gap is one of the only objective quantifiable measures of "equality". Everything else that's cultural (such as men being ridiculed for playing with dolls or whatever example you want to think of) are, in my opinion, impossible to combat.

Quote:
I think you're confusing evolutionary biology with evolutionary psychology. Two totally different things.

The two are related and that's something that a lot of sociologists seem to have difficulty grasping for whatever reason. If I can show that testosterone correlates with higher aggressiveness, then it's only natural for men to gravitate towards things that appeal to that nature (Violent video games for example). Obviously culture/free market/etc will exploit this and make it more and more pronounced and trying to combat that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the thing that annoys me about a lot of sociologists and the section of feminists that they appeal to is the idea of explaining everything as purely a social construct. You're not going to solve anything if you deny reality.
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 06:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, wait, wut?
i sure am glad those ancient caves have hospitals and medication to allow such speedy recovery

I gave birth with *zero* medications during and after during recovery.
It wasn't bad at all. The maternity death rate was pretty 50/50 back then, sure, but if you got it out and stopped bleeding, ***, you're fine.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-10 06:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You said "by definition." "To creep", from proto-Germanic kreupana ("twist") and later Old-English creopan and Middle English crepen refers to a type of slow movement across the ground, as would be associated with snakes, lizards, insects, etc. (PIE root is ger - turn, wind). "Creepy" by definition means "producing unease, discomfort or a fearful sensations, such as that of having things crawl (or creep) over one's skin.

The definition has nothing to do with "an emotional feeling that a women gets when she perceives sexual interest from a male she feels is unworthy."
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 06:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't bad at all. The maternity death rate was pretty 50/50 back then, sure, but if you got it out and stopped bleeding, ***, you're fine.
Sorry, but it's not that simple. Even if you received no medical assistance, nutrition/heat/safety are much more available than they were back then, and in much higher quality. If you want to say the experience is equal and should not be a problem to anyone, gonna have to pop your next one out in a cave eating undercooked meat from a freshly killed small animal.

Though, props for being strong enough to go through that without medication. I'm sure I'd be crying like a *** for some opiates.
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 06:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
And please don't throw some ***about women already having equality at me.

It doesn't help your case if you automatically dismiss anything that conflicts with your world view, especially if its statistics. (In b4 lies, damn lies) The best way to counter that would be to post statistics of your own and explain why the statistics of others do not make sense.

To me a wage gap is one of the only objective quantifiable measures of "equality". Everything else that's cultural (such as men being ridiculed for playing with dolls or whatever example you want to think of) are, in my opinion, impossible to combat.

Quote:

The two are related and that's something that a lot of sociologists seem to have difficulty grasping for whatever reason. If I can show that testosterone correlates with higher aggressiveness, then it's only natural for men to gravitate towards things that appeal to that nature (Violent video games for example). Obviously culture/free market/etc will exploit this and make it more and more pronounced and trying to combat that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the thing that annoys me about a lot of sociologists and the section of feminists that they appeal to is the idea of explaining everything as purely a social construct. You're not going to solve anything if you deny reality.

You're right about the first part. I'm lazy.

Also, there's no proof that that's reality though. Evolutionary psych is arguably psuedoscience. You have a point with hormones, but that isn't so clear cut. Testosterone isn't exclusive to the male sex anyways, normal people have a wide range of hormones.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2013-07-10 06:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

how do you get rid of language? im confused
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 06:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, but it's not that simple. Even if you received no medical assistance, nutrition/heat/safety are much more available than they were back then, and in much higher quality. If you want to say the experience is equal and should not be a problem to anyone, gonna have to pop your next one out in a cave eating undercooked meat from a freshly killed small animal.

Though, props for being strong enough to go through that without medication. I'm sure I'd be crying like a *** for some opiates.

I've sworn to never spawn again, but if I did, I'd consider this. *** hospitals. I hated the entire experience, and the only good thing was spaghetti.
But it wasn't uncommon for women to give birth and be back to working in the fields in days, surrounded by kids. It was always the poor women though. The biggest advance with childbirth was handwashing, really.....the chance for infection is really strong those 6 weeks after, because it's not fully closed (TMI prob!) up in there and it's basically a giant open internal wound. You're not allowed to have sex or anything remotely contaminating that entire 6 weeks. Also, C-Sections help a lot these days with the maternity rate because himans are so sloppily evolved that our brains (heads) have gotten too big for our hipspan so literally most C-Section births are due to stalled labor and babies that are too big.
Also, thanks for the props xD
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-07-10 07:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ou have a point with hormones, but that isn't so clear cut. Testosterone isn't exclusive to the male sex anyways, normal people have a wide range of hormones.

It's been shown that higher levels of testosterone leads to increase aggressiveness and most men have more testosterone than women (Mainly produced by testes, some produced by adrenals which is where women get a lot of theirs).

The problem here is that a lot of the "sexist" culture is a result of the free market rather than anybody being sexist. Objectification of women sells movie tickets, video games, etc. You know what doesn't sell? Treating people like they're intelligent (See: JCPenny's). Personally I think it's just within our nature to be sexist on this level. I don't think there's anything wrong with genders roles, etc. The important thing is to make sure the opportunity to break out of these roles exists, and the fact that the wage gap is very small in these cases is what equality should be about.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-07-10 07:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
You said "by definition." "To creep", from proto-Germanic kreupana ("twist") and later Old-English creopan and Middle English crepen refers to a type of slow movement across the ground, as would be associated with snakes, lizards, insects, etc. (PIE root is ger - turn, wind). "Creepy" by definition means "producing unease, discomfort or a fearful sensations, such as that of having things crawl (or creep) over one's skin.

The definition has nothing to do with "an emotional feeling that a women gets when she perceives sexual interest from a male she feels is unworthy."

Referring to modern feminist usage of the word, not ancient usage.

Girl1: "That guy over there makes me feel creepy"
Girl2: "Yeah he's a creep"

This is all very simple to understand if we stop listening to what people say, and only pay attention them by what they do.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 07:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

ou have a point with hormones, but that isn't so clear cut. Testosterone isn't exclusive to the male sex anyways, normal people have a wide range of hormones.

It's been shown that higher levels of testosterone leads to increase aggressiveness and most men have more testosterone than women (Mainly produced by testes, some produced by adrenals which is where women get a lot of theirs).

The problem here is that a lot of the "sexist" culture is a result of the free market rather than anybody being sexist. Objectification of women sells movie tickets, video games, etc. You know what doesn't sell? Treating people like they're intelligent (See: JCPenny's). Personally I think it's just within our nature to be sexist on this level. I don't think there's anything wrong with genders roles, etc. The important thing is to make sure the opportunity to break out of these roles exists, and the fact that the wage gap is very small in these cases is what equality should be about.

I'm not sure your sex, and I'm not wanting to assume at all, but when you live with those tiny bits of societal discriminaion everyday it becomes a bigger deal. You get tired of men acting like you'll be incompetent because of your sex. So if you're a woman who likes typically manfolk things, you'll get crazy amounts of backlash. (From men and women- there are plenty of women sexist against women) As far as I know my testosterone is normal, so why do I act like any other guy I know? Anecdotal evidence is equivalent to a grain of salt, sure, but you don't really strip the similarity between the sexes until you strip people trying to pretend they're more feminine/masculine than they really are.

But you are completely right that the free market is the biggest perpetrator of things. Sex sells, women speaking up doesn't.
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 07:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I'm not sure your sex, and I'm not wanting to assume at all, but when you live with those tiny bits of societal discriminaion everyday it becomes a bigger deal. You get tired of men acting like you'll be incompetent because of your sex. So if you're a woman who likes typically manfolk things, you'll get crazy amounts of backlash. (From men and women- there are plenty of women sexist against women) As far as I know my testosterone is normal, so why do I act like any other guy I know? Anecdotal evidence is equivalent to a grain of salt, sure, but you don't really see the similarity between the sexes until you strip the bs off people trying to pretend they're more feminine/masculine than they really are.

But you are completely right that the free market is the biggest perpetrator of things. Sex sells, women speaking up doesn't.

Also, dammit I can't forum today. I had to edit this like 400 times. Posting at 7am wasn't the best idea it seems!
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-10 07:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

There is nothing specifically rooted in misandry about the word creep or creepy itself. It simply means something or someone that makes you feel uneasy or uncomfortable.

This does not mean that it cannot be used in misandrous ways, but by definition does not refer to modern feminist usage and the definition has nothing to do with the arbitrary crap you made up and/or saw in some random-*** youtube video to support your point.

Creepy
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2013-07-10 07:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Jingles said: »
Okay, yeah, not going to bother now. Men's Rights is a movement based on discomfort, of having centuries of authority questioned.

And this, friends, is the definition of naïveté.

It's essentially the equivalent of saying "My problems are real, yours are just made up!"

I mean, really -- because MRM definitely has no good points. There aren't any legal or social consequences of being born with a penis.

• It's been normalized to genitally mutilate baby males for no apparent reason.

• Man up! and virgin shaming

• Men have no special legal protections, whereas women have an absolute ton

• Ever seen a shelter for abused men? Me neither.

• Should we talk about divorce court, and custody, or is that just apparent enough that we don't have to get into it?

• Men can get drafted, women cannot. Doesn't even matter that there's nobody drafting right now -- the government literally, blatantly states that women are inherently more valuable than men by not repealing that.

• Should we talk about scholarships?

• Hell, let's just be blunt -- education basically takes all attention away from males and just focuses it on women. Women in STEM! Women in Robotics! Women award for leadership! etc.etc. Have a men's award/league/scholarship, people pitch a fit.

• No reproductive rights, yet has to pay child support.

• Unfair treatment when accused of rape

• Unfair treatment when accusing of rape

• Domestic violence against men is laughed off.

etc.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2013-07-10 07:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

can we all just hold hands and play the "lifetime presents when will candace cameron get raped in this movie?" game then we can all guess who will save her toby keith or randy travis
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-07-10 07:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Weight lifters have known for a long time that testosterone assists with creating large amounts of muscle mass. Steroids were just artificial testosterone injected to encourage this process, the side effects were extremely enhanced aggression and dominate behavior. Natural testosterone production can be enhanced by proper eating and lifting exercises, power lifters do this all the time. They need to watch their mood swings as a result of this.

And yes gender roles exist, they were not artificially created by "evil white men" but instead are a result of millions of years of natural selection slamming into the invention of agriculture and monogamy. Most of the previous social barriers created for / around women were to limit and control hypergamy and to preserve a women's value as a long term mate / marriage partner.

The results of breaking those down is the reinstatement of our ancient sexual instincts and mating system. Now we have unchecked hypergamy with young women constantly moving from one male partner to the next, typically the dominate aggressive males, until she hits 30 and find out that her biological clock is running out and she needs to settle fast.

Now breaking those barriers isn't necessarily a bad thing, they weren't entirely natural to begin with. But in doing so we need to be cognizant of the reasons for their existence and thus the results of them not being there. I won't be dating any 30 year old women looking to turn me into an ATM or retirement fund. If / when I do marry it will be to someone who values family and is in her mid twenties and it will only be because I desire to have children. Pre-nump is mandatory. (Actually I recommend everyone get those, divorce is entirely too common and they keep things real).
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 07:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
can we all just hold hands and play the "lifetime presents when will candace cameron get raped in this movie?" game then we can all guess who will save her toby keith or randy travis

Only if your hands aren't sweaty, cause that'd be creepy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-10 07:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, The Lifetime Original Movie Drinking Game never turns out as fun as it sounds like it's going to be.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25