Washington State Gets Rid Of "sexist" Language

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 23 24 25
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-10 15:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

As if there wouldn't be outrage if all 43 presidents were women, and those words that we are fighting over were womankind, clergywomen, herstory,etc.
 Siren.Flavin
Server: Siren
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »
I think the fear there is more along the lines of "ending up as a registered sex offender", and I think you know that.
You can end up on the sex offender registry for acts committed against men and boys as well... This is not a product of feminism... you think having your hands on an 8 y/o boy looks any better? I mean seriously... How can you lay this all at the feet of women?
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-07-10 15:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't privy to the details, but suffice to say he was pretty scared for his career for a while there. He did the right thing and got burned pretty hard for it. Had the judge not sided with him it would have wrecked his life.

You call all keep on your high horses, but here's a guy who did what was right and someone turned around and cockslapped him in the face for it. People who aren't as awesome as my friend not jumping in to save someone, while lamentable, is perfectly understandable from where I'm standing.

We live in a world where doing the right thing can and will be punished. Some folks are just more pragmatic about addressing that reality.

This has been happening for over 20 years now. People are sue happy and case law is insane.

Good book, if you are interested, is "The Case Against Lawyers: How the Lawyers, Politicians, and Bureaucrats Have Turned the Law into an Instrument of Tyranny--and What We as Citizens Have to Do About It"
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-10 15:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flavin said: »
I think the fear there is more along the lines of "ending up as a registered sex offender", and I think you know that.
You can end up on the sex offender registry for acts committed against men and boys as well... This is not a product of feminism... you think having your hands on an 8 y/o boy looks any better? I mean seriously... How can you lay this all at the feet of women?

Easy question to answer.. He's sexist.
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 15:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

have to hand it to you. Yes you can reverse that but going this far for an incident like this?
Quote:
In Illinois, 28-year-old Fitzroy Barnaby was convicted of “unlawful restraint of a minor,” a sex crime, and placed on a sex-offender registry after he grabbed the arm of an 14-year-old girl to lecture her on not dashing into the street in front of a moving car, as she had just done
By Drjones 2013-07-10 15:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You can end up on the sex offender registry for acts committed against men and boys as well... This is not a product of feminism
I never said it was.

I'm just pointing out that what Sparth dismisses as "potentially catching ignorant comments", was probably not the intended message. If we're talking about adults getting in trouble for interacting with children in the context of sports, the concern is more likely to be sex offender registration, not people saying things behind your back.
 Ragnarok.Corres
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 15:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
I wasn't privy to the details, but suffice to say he was pretty scared for his career for a while there. He did the right thing and got burned pretty hard for it. Had the judge not sided with him it would have wrecked his life.

You call all keep on your high horses, but here's a guy who did what was right and someone turned around and cockslapped him in the face for it. People who aren't as awesome as my friend not jumping in to save someone, while lamentable, is perfectly understandable from where I'm standing.

We live in a world where doing the right thing can and will be punished. Some folks are just more pragmatic about addressing that reality.

This has been happening for over 20 years now. People are sue happy and case law is insane.

Good book, if you are interested, is "The Case Against Lawyers: How the Lawyers, Politicians, and Bureaucrats Have Turned the Law into an Instrument of Tyranny--and What We as Citizens Have to Do About It"
is kind of relating maybe? illustrates quite clear what is wrong with the criminal law:
the illustrated guide to criminal Law ep.16
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-07-10 15:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The overall caveat in modern feminism = In order to empower women we must dis-empower men.

See a women coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = you go girl way to make something of yourself and help out the next generation

See a man coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = Ew, what a pervert! I bet he jerks off while they're all in the locker room.

The cause/effect relationship is quite simple. Rig the system so that men are always cornered into "your worst nightmare" and many will simply avoid participation to avoid the hassle.

Works very similarly to the "race card".
This is not true at all... There are plenty of make coaches for female sports that don't get that kind of treatment at all...

When did we men become so complicit in using the victim card? lol... You guys make me a little sad inside... There may be a cause to stand up for but god you act like every woman is out to castrate every man and your so helpless to do anything about it...

I feel like I have a relevant story:

Ask my girlfriend she will frequently tell you I am one of the best things to happen to her.

She takes the patch form of birth control as both a means of contraception and as a treatment of her endomitreosis (sp?). As a general rule, she must change this patch once a week which as it works, floods her body with large dosage of hormones.

I nearly have it down to a science when she puts the patch on. The raw amount of estrogen delivered to her body greatly affects her mood. One day after she had put on the patch the night before, she had bad dreams and woke up pissed at me. I had cheated on her in her dreams. She was very upset, nearly distraught at her dreams and was crying and yelling. I tried to comfort her, but had to give up eventually and head to work.

When I left there was a cop supervising some utility work right outside my door on the street. I waved high to him, to which he kind of sneered at me, turned around to kiss my girlfriend's teary eyed face goodbye, got in the car, and left.

Later that day she told me that immediately after I left, the cop came up to here and asked if she "needed to talk with anyone about the kind relationship she was in". He immediately thought I was an abusive jerk. I was bullsh!t, not only was that not the case but it was the exact opposite.

Just for the record I don't view myself as helpless, but I certainly was a victim of the prejudices of modern feminism.
By Comablack187 2013-07-10 15:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
This was not a vote to regulate what you can or cannot say. It changed the language in the written statutes. You are still free to say fisherman or mailman or whatever the *** else has 'man' in it. That quote is irrelevant.

inb4 slippery slope

then explain the sense it makes to even take the time to put something so meaningless into legislature...

A legislature will vote on numerous measures during a session and many of those are small bills that you may think are frivolous or don't address the headline issues at the time. Does anyone flip a *** when a state congress votes on what to name a *** library? They modified 40,000 words... it probably took a small gaggle of interns a whole week to fix it. Oh god the waste!

Congrats, you just proved yourself wrong. Takes a special kind of stupid to pull that off. Proof that drinking your own bath water makes you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
By Drjones 2013-07-10 15:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Longkissgnight said: »

Easy question to answer.. He's sexist.
Racist too.

But so is every single person in this thread if they're honest. Anyone who says they aren't is lying to themselves. The important thing is to be able to recognize it and overcome it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-10 15:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You can end up on the sex offender registry for acts committed against men and boys as well... This is not a product of feminism
I never said it was.

I'm just pointing out that what Sparth dismisses as "potentially catching ignorant comments", was probably not the intended message. If we're talking about adults getting in trouble for interacting with children in the context of sports, the concern is more likely to be sex offender registration, not people saying things behind your back.

Because it's nothing more than fearmongering taken to a hilarious degree brought to us by spooky feminism rather than a culture that sues and talks ***about everything/anything.

If I want to go coach a bunch of 8 year old girls you bet someone is going to talk ***about me the same way men training boys can also get ***talked about you. It's how people are. The takeaway from this is do what you feel is right and quit worrying about every possible bad outcome because with that line of thinking it'd be a wonder how some people get out the front door in the morning.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
have to hand it to you. Yes you can reverse that but going this far for an incident like this?
Quote:
In Illinois, 28-year-old Fitzroy Barnaby was convicted of “unlawful restraint of a minor,” a sex crime, and placed on a sex-offender registry after he grabbed the arm of an 14-year-old girl to lecture her on not dashing into the street in front of a moving car, as she had just done
No doubt that is going to far... I won't refute that...

I would like to know why he thought it was a good idea to grab a little girl (and I assume hold her by the arm) and lecture her himself... Doesn't seem like a bright idea or the right thing to do in any situation even if the punishment is too harsh unless I misunderstood and he pulled her back saving her from getting hit...

Would you agree at least that this is the exception and not the rule?
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The overall caveat in modern feminism = In order to empower women we must dis-empower men.

See a women coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = you go girl way to make something of yourself and help out the next generation

See a man coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = Ew, what a pervert! I bet he jerks off while they're all in the locker room.

The cause/effect relationship is quite simple. Rig the system so that men are always cornered into "your worst nightmare" and many will simply avoid participation to avoid the hassle.

This is not true at all... There are plenty of make coaches for female sports that don't get that kind of treatment at all...

When did we men become so complicit in using the victim card? lol... You guys make me a little sad inside... There may be a cause to stand up for but god you act like every woman is out to castrate every man and your so helpless to do anything about it...

Ask my girlfriend she will frequently tell you I am one of the best things to happen to her.

She takes the patch form of birth control as both a means of contraception and as a treatment of her endomitreosis (sp?). As a general rule, she must change this patch once a week which as it works, floods her body with large dosage of estrogen.

I nearly have it down to a science when she puts the patch on. The raw amount of estrogen delivered to her body greatly affects her mood. One day after she had put on the patch the night before she had bad dreams and woke up pissed at me, I had cheated on her in her dreams. She was very upset at this and was crying and yelling. I tried to comfort her, but had to give up eventually and head to work.

When I left there was a cop supervising some utility work right outside my door on the street. I waved high to him, to which he kind of sneered at me, turned around to kiss my girlfriend's teary eyed face goodbye, got in the car, and left.

Later that day she told me that immediately after I left, the cop came up to here and asked if she "needed to talk with anyone about the kind relationship she was in". He immediately thought I was an abusive jerk. I was bullsh!t, not only was that not the case but it was the exact opposite.

Just for the record I don't view myself as helpless, but I certainly was a victim of the prejudices of modern feminism.
I disagree again that this is a product of modern feminism... I would argue it's more a product of masculine bravado... man sees what looks like a woman in need and wants to go help or in this case might see it as his job... It doesn't really look all that good for you when girl is crying as you leave but again without context... You act like a situation has never been misinterpreted... Hell it happens often enough here... hell maybe he wanted to steal your g/f from you by acting like the white knight extraordinare!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2013-07-10 15:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

she had bad dreams and woke up pissed at me. I had cheated on her in her dreams. She was very upset, nearly distraught at her dreams and was crying and yelling.
HOW DARE YOU CHEAT ON HER IN HER DREAM! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED! =P
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 15:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I would like to know why he thought it was a good idea to grab a little girl (and I assume hold her by the arm) and lecture her himself... Doesn't seem like a bright idea or the right thing to do in any situation even if the punishment is too harsh unless I misunderstood and he pulled her back saving her from getting hit...

i gladly agree with that. If it would have been me i would have taken her to her parents house and told them about the incident. Just grabbing her arm and punishing her for that is making a parent-punishing less important or grave. The parents have to punish her for that so she does not get run over someday. Same thing with a boy no question about that.

edit:
Quote:
had put on the patch the night before, she had bad dreams and woke up pissed at me. I had cheated on her in her dreams. She was very upset, nearly distraught at her dreams and was crying and yelling. I tried to comfort her, but had to give up eventually and head to work.
her needs were not fullfilled in that regards. When you know these things can maker her emotions strafe around you have to fullfill her needs in order that she can not be pissed at you for that. This behaviour has nothing to do with feminism at all.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Comablack187 said: »
This was not a vote to regulate what you can or cannot say. It changed the language in the written statutes. You are still free to say fisherman or mailman or whatever the *** else has 'man' in it. That quote is irrelevant.

inb4 slippery slope

then explain the sense it makes to even take the time to put something so meaningless into legislature...

A legislature will vote on numerous measures during a session and many of those are small bills that you may think are frivolous or don't address the headline issues at the time. Does anyone flip a *** when a state congress votes on what to name a *** library? They modified 40,000 words... it probably took a small gaggle of interns a whole week to fix it. Oh god the waste!

Congrats, you just proved yourself wrong. Takes a special kind of stupid to pull that off. Proof that drinking your own bath water makes you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
I don't think you actually even read what he wrote...
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 15:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Comablack187 said: »

inb4 slippery slope

O... k....?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 15:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

She takes the patch form of birth control as both a means of contraception and as a treatment of her endomitreosis (sp?). As a general rule, she must change this patch once a week which as it works, floods her body with large dosage of hormones.

I nearly have it down to a science when she puts the patch on. The raw amount of estrogen delivered to her body greatly affects her mood. One day after she had put on the patch the night before, she had bad dreams and woke up pissed at me. I had cheated on her in her dreams. She was very upset, nearly distraught at her dreams and was crying and yelling. I tried to comfort her, but had to give up eventually and head to work.

Or the cop has seen similar scenes like that one countless times, took it out of context, and rushed to judgement. Unfair, yes, but don't see how that is related to feminism.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2013-07-10 15:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I woulda let her win Darwin award....14 is old enough to realize the dangers of crossing motorways with active traffic.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-07-10 15:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

As if there wouldn't be outrage if all 43 presidents were women, and those words that we are fighting over were womankind, clergywomen, herstory,etc.

woman
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-10 15:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

woman

We can't win for losing.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-07-10 15:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

He grabbed her because she fell/jumped/something in front of his car and he was angry.

http://www.wnd.com/2005/07/31134/
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 15:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skulloneix said: »
Quote:
I woulda let her win Darwin award....14 is old enough to realize the dangers of crossing motorways with active traffic.
No Darwin award here. Her death would have been rather pedestrian.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-07-10 15:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

She takes the patch form of birth control as both a means of contraception and as a treatment of her endomitreosis (sp?). As a general rule, she must change this patch once a week which as it works, floods her body with large dosage of estrogen.

I nearly have it down to a science when she puts the patch on. The raw amount of estrogen delivered to her body greatly affects her mood. One day after she had put on the patch the night before she had bad dreams and woke up pissed at me, I had cheated on her in her dreams. She was very upset at this and was crying and yelling. I tried to comfort her, but had to give up eventually and head to work.

I disagree again that this is a product of modern feminism... I would argue it's more a product of masculine bravado... man sees what looks like a woman in need and wants to go help or in this case might see it as his job... It doesn't really look all that good for you when girl is crying as you leave but again without context... You act like a situation has never been misinterpreted... Hell it happens often enough here... hell maybe he wanted to steal your g/f from you by acting like the white knight extraordinare!

Well why doesn't it look good for me to leave her when she's crying? Does every realistically conceivable explanation involve some form of misogyny on my part? Doesn't that illustrate the particular prejudice to blame men first? Where do you think that comes from if not from modern feminism?

There's a reason he didn't come up to me and say "Excuse me sir, are you alright? Did your woman step out of line?" I'm sure in the policeman's handbook there's a chapter titled: If you see a woman who appears to be in an abusive relationship proceed this way. He wasn't trying to be macho, he was completely following procedure.

...ahem police-person's
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-07-10 16:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

woman
We can't win for losing.

just something Ive always found interesting since i was a little kid.

man
woman
human

but 'man' is sexist..
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 16:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

woman
We can't win for losing.

just something Ive always found interesting since i was a little kid.

man
woman
human

but 'man' is sexist..
so basically we are "wohu"?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-07-10 16:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well why doesn't it look good for me to leave her when she's crying? Does every realistically conceivable explanation involve some form of misogyny on my part? Doesn't that illustrate the particular prejudice to blame men first? Where do you think that comes from if not from modern feminism?

There's a reason he didn't come up to me and say "Excuse me sir, are you alright? Did your woman step out of line?" I'm sure in the policeman's handbook there's a chapter titled: If you see a woman who appears to be in an abusive relationship proceed this way. He wasn't trying to be macho, he was completely following procedure.

...ahem police-person's

Wow
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 16:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

...ahem police-person's
Maybe it's because she looked upset and was crying and you were off on your way... Perception probably caused more by the fact that the overwhelming amount of domestic violence is perpetrated by men? Maybe it's men's innate instinct to protect a woman? Maybe he wanted to bang your wife? There was a reason he didn't come up to you but it wasn't because feminism had corrupted his mind lol...
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 16:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

...ahem police-person's
... from the all too common occurrence of domestic violence against women? Are you really that *** dense?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 16:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a reason he didn't come up to me and say "Excuse me sir, are you alright? Did your woman step out of line?" I'm sure in the policeman's handbook there's a chapter titled: If you see a woman who appears to be in an abusive relationship proceed this way. He wasn't trying to be macho, he was completely following procedure. ...ahem police-person's
if you can not fullfill the needs of your girlfriend and express your expectations (and she hers) then your realtionship is dysfunctional and you should work on creating order in your relationship. If you can not do that you should have no relationship at all.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 23 24 25