Washington State Gets Rid Of "sexist" Language

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 23 24 25
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-07-10 14:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flavin said: »
I guess I don't get the outrage... I mean every argument against this language change starts off with "why should anyone care?!?!?" Conversely why do you care that they put it on the books as something else? lol... I mean I live in Illinois and supposedly my state has taken to something similar and I really haven't even noticed the change... It's not like it makes it a crime to still call people freshman lol... I personally don't see why it bothers people and I mean if it makes people happy or feel more respected why not? Especially so if you don't really even give a ***in the end beyond some silly statement someone else made early on about letting women control the "man's language" lol... oh my I laughed quite heartily... that and it makes no sense... any who...

It bothers me BECAUSE it's an irrelevant change. The government has much better "outrages" they should be attending to.

I also am of the OPINION that if the government rolls over once it never stops. I gave examples of my opinion in action earlier. Another good one is the "zero tolerance" policy in schools (push another kid in disagreement = expelled). The difference is that I don't force the government to waste time on feelings/government the vast majority don't share. Sure if you ask a woman if she cared about the terms after reading this article, she might be on the spot, but who was actually thinking yesterday "man, we need to start saying the human race instead of mankind BECAUSE ITS OFFENSIVE". I'd assume if their legislature has time for this WA must have a 0.5% unemployment rate, perfect roads, #1 education in the country etc etc etc hyperbole etc.
[+]
By Comablack187 2013-07-10 14:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I don't get the outrage... I mean every argument against this language change starts off with "why should anyone care?!?!?" Conversely why do you care that they put it on the books as something else? lol... I mean I live in Illinois and supposedly my state has taken to something similar and I really haven't even noticed the change... It's not like it makes it a crime to still call people freshman lol... I personally don't see why it bothers people and I mean if it makes people happy or feel more respected why not? Especially so if you don't really even give a ***in the end beyond some silly statement someone else made early on about letting women control the "man's language" lol... oh my I laughed quite heartily... that and it makes no sense... any who...

Its simple... we did not vote these politicians in to change words to make people feel better. Who really gives a ***if it makes you sad that a manhole is called a manhole lol. There are much more important matters that need to be delt with now.
[+]
By Comablack187 2013-07-10 14:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

It bothers me BECAUSE it's an irrelevant change. The government has much better "outrages" they should be attending to.

I also am of the OPINION that if the government rolls over once it never stops. I gave examples of my opinion in action earlier. Another good one is the "zero tolerance" policy in schools (push another kid in disagreement = expelled). The difference is that I don't force the government to waste time on feelings/government the vast majority don't share. Sure if you ask a woman if she cared about the terms after reading this article, she might be on the spot, but who was actually thinking yesterday "man, we need to start saying the human race instead of mankind BECAUSE ITS OFFENSIVE". I'd assume if their legislature has time for this WA must have a 0.5% unemployment rate, perfect roads, #1 education in the country etc etc etc hyperbole etc.

OMG someone with some common sense!!!! *** FINALLY!!! I guess to be a human being.... common sense isn't required.
 Ragnarok.Corres
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 14:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
These days men just wanna be left the hell alone and not have to deal with this BS. We're coming full circle.
agreed in that respect.
from Sick of being treated like the enemy, guys are dropping out of society if anyone has even read it:

Quote:
a lawsuit filed this week alleged, a man working at the desk of Planet Fitness on Bay Shore, Long Island was too afraid of repercussions to enter the ladies’ room to administer CPR to a dying woman? “He said he didn’t know what to do and that he wasn’t allowed to go into the ladies’ bathroom,”

Quote:
On a blog called Parent Dish, a reader said he stopped coaching girls soccer after an 8-year-old player told him, “I don’t have to listen to you. I can get you in trouble just by telling people you touched me.”

Quote:
In England, a man passing by 2-year-old Abigail Rae, who later drowned, declined to help guide her to safety because he feared being labeled a pervert.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
Server: Siren
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 14:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This didn't stop them from doing anything else... This isn't the federal government either...

Also, it's ridiculous to demand perfection in your eyes as a requirement to change something that you think is irrelevant in the first place... and just because you see it as such doesn't make it so...

Beyond that people are going to continue saying what they will and probably more than half the state won't even be aware of it lol...
By Comablack187 2013-07-10 14:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

End Thread_
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 14:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
These days men just wanna be left the hell alone and not have to deal with this BS. We're coming full circle.
agreed in that respect.
from Sick of being treated like the enemy, guys are dropping out of society if anyone has even read it:

Quote:
a lawsuit filed this week alleged, a man working at the desk of Planet Fitness on Bay Shore, Long Island was too afraid of repercussions to enter the ladies’ room to administer CPR to a dying woman? “He said he didn’t know what to do and that he wasn’t allowed to go into the ladies’ bathroom,”

Quote:
On a blog called Parent Dish, a reader said he stopped coaching girls soccer after an 8-year-old player told him, “I don’t have to listen to you. I can get you in trouble just by telling people you touched me.”

Quote:
In England, a man passing by 2-year-old Abigail Rae, who later drowned, declined to help guide her to safety because he feared being labeled a pervert.
Not sure how the first one has to do with a feminist push... I didn't know keeping men out of women's bathrooms when people are dying was a huge push...

To be fair... an 8 y/o boy could say the same thing and the coach would probably be in an even worse situation...

That is one of the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE things I've ever heard...
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 14:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
agreed in that respect.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Not sure how the first one has to do with a feminist push... I didn't know keeping men out of women's bathrooms when people are dying was a huge push...

To be fair... an 8 y/o boy could say the same thing and the coach would probably be in an even worse situation...

That is one of the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE things I've ever heard...
Being "HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE" doesn't make it any less true.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-10 14:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're afraid of being labeled a pervert for helping someone who is dying in a ladies restroom or drowning, you're an idiot. I'm going to save a life so you can *** that I saw someone powdering their *** later after I'm being thanked by the person I saved.

Children pulling the "I can get you in trouble card" isn't new either and the delicious man tears don't change that reality. It's called use your adult brain and outwit a child, not back down and flee because you got hit with the oldest trick in the book.

Is this the best schlock that can be churned up to speak of how oppressive things have become in the world of man? Seriously, stick to child custody cases or women who abort a child even though the male parent is willing and able to take possession. At least that stuff is gripping, not this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance crap.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 14:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You're talking to me again! I'm so happy!!!
By Ashman 2013-07-10 14:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Comablack187 said: »

OMG someone with some common sense!!!! *** FINALLY!!! I guess to be a human being.... common sense isn't required.

That's a little harsh! I frequently agree with many of the people arguing the other side here (I even added a silly moostache to my account because of flaviflav). Debating a difference of opinion is a wonderful way to keep your mind sharp. You should value those who argue with you loudest!

Beyond that people are going to continue saying what they will and probably more than half the state won't even be aware of it lol...

I agree. It's not the people I'm worried about It's the government. It's another step toward an even more entitled society. I'm busting my *** to pay taxes so some guy can collect federal aid because he's too entitled to work for 4 years as an intern (boo wallstree!) to get a job to fill the one of 2 billion "computer science" degrees in the US. I see this turning into "taxes going to grant to pay women an extra 50% an hour to compensate for sexist wages" because the government doesn't know when to say "enough is enough". We're turning equal rights into "let me tip the scales in my favor as much as i can get away with".
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 14:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

A legislature will vote on numerous measures during a session and many of those are small bills that you may think are frivolous or don't address the headline issues at the time. Does anyone flip a *** when a state congress votes on what to name a *** library? They modified 40,000 words... it probably took a small gaggle of interns a whole week to fix it. Oh god the waste!
[+]
By Drjones 2013-07-10 14:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
If you're afraid of being labeled a pervert for helping someone who is dying in a ladies restroom or drowning, you're an idiot. I'm going to save a life so you can *** that I saw someone powdering their *** later after I'm being thanked by the person I saved.
You say that now, but my friend who's a nurse helped some poor *** when he hit the floor, saved his life. The guy turned around and tried to sue my friend. Caused a whole bunch of trouble over having his life saved and then the judge told him he was a terrible person and threw the whole case out.

Still, the point is that saving someone's life can and will result in someone pressing charges against you. With how *** up our legal system is it doesn't surprise me that people would hesitate in that kind of situation.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 14:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Children pulling the "I can get you in trouble card" isn't new either and the delicious man tears don't change that reality. It's called use your adult brain and outwit a child, not back down and flee because you got hit with the oldest trick in the book.

Is this the best schlock that can be churned up to speak of how oppressive things have become in the world of man? Seriously, stick to child custody cases or women who abort a child even though the male parent is willing and able to take possession. At least that stuff is gripping, not this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance crap.
Child custody isn't really an outcome brought on by the feminist movement... It's just really always been like that... It is an unfair bias but one that's just always kinda been around...

I don't really see how any of what most of what has been brought up is a product of the feminist movement... Haven't pedophiles always been frowned upon? When do you hear about a man getting chastised for saving a womans life? We make those guys into heroes for about 15 minutes until we forget about them!
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 14:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You're talking to me again! I'm so happy!!!
Different thread, that and my migraine is gone, so I'm not super bitchy today. :)
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashman said: »
Comablack187 said: »

That's a little harsh! I frequently agree with many of the people arguing the other side here (I even added a silly moostache to my account because of flaviflav). Debating a difference of opinion is a wonderful way to keep your mind sharp. You should value those who argue with you loudest!

I agree. It's not the people I'm worried about It's the government. It's another step toward an even more entitled society. I'm busting my *** to pay taxes so some guy can collect federal aid because he's too entitled to work for 4 years as an intern (boo wallstree!) to get a job to fill the one of 2 billion "computer science" degrees in the US. I see this turning into "taxes going to grant to pay women an extra 50% an hour to compensate for sexist wages" because the government doesn't know when to say "enough is enough". We're turning equal rights into "let me tip the scales in my favor as much as i can get away with".
It is always interesting to see how people's viewpoints intersect here... At one point they're bitterly arguing against each other and the next day they're teaming up to pound that other guy into the dirt...

I guess I just don't agree with you there... and cmon, even though you're being sarcastic, no politician likes to raise taxes because it's a career killer! but in any case I don't see this as a slippery slope leading to drastic and unfair changes...

Edit: Mustaches 4evar!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-10 15:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »
You say that now, but my friend who's a nurse helped some poor *** when he hit the floor, saved his life. The guy turned around and tried to sue my friend. Caused a whole bunch of trouble over having his life saved and then the judge told him he was a terrible person and threw the whole case out.

Still, the point is that saving someone's life can and will result in someone pressing charges against you. With how *** up our legal system is it doesn't surprise me that people would hesitate in that kind of situation.

Sue on what grounds? Further, the fear of getting sued or being improper in a particular situation isn't going to stop me from doing what I perceive is the right thing. Sure, doing the right thing may not always work out the way you expect but when the best excuse is "I think I might be seen as a pervert" you're really stretching the idea that men are being persecuted by the female overlordship.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-07-10 15:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The overall caveat in modern feminism = In order to empower women we must dis-empower men.

See a women coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = you go girl way to make something of yourself and help out the next generation

See a man coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = Ew, what a pervert! I bet he jerks off while they're all in the locker room.

The cause/effect relationship is quite simple. Rig the system so that men are always cornered into "your worst nightmare" and many will simply avoid participation to avoid the hassle.

Works very similarly to the "race card".
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 15:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

And yet, I can picture a situation where a man is seen holding someone else's child and immediately incriminated despite having just saved their life. It's probably not the most likely outcome of the situation, but it's certainly a possible one. I'd still save the child, as would most people, but I can sort of understand the thought process. This is especially true if (throwback to the start of the thread) the man looks 'creepy'.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Did he have a DNR?

True enough that someone may not want to have their lives saved or whatever his reason.(and that can lead to legal retribution) but that isn't the point... he was trying to use the situation to say that it was because of the feminist movement or women in general maybe that you can't be near female children or cross certain thresholds because of new public perception... your story is not showing that perception of the situation by any bystander or even the legal system was against your friend leaping to action... in fact it seems to support that the judge was actually on your friends side...

Edit: EMT got in trouble because he resuscitated a woman with a DNR even though he was not aware... but are you going to look at him like you did something wrong? No, ony that lady really is...
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-07-10 15:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
A legislature will vote on numerous measures during a session and many of those are small bills that you may think are frivolous or don't address the headline issues at the time. Does anyone flip a *** when a state congress votes on what to name a *** library? They modified 40,000 words... it probably took a small gaggle of interns a whole week to fix it. Oh god the waste!

Two quotes from the same speech in one day. Must be my birthday'

Quote:
They got a lot of company in this country. There's a lot of groups, a lot of institutions in this country want to control your language.
Tell you what you can say and what you can't say. Government wants to tell you some things you can't say because it's against the law.
Well you can't say this because it's against the regulation.
Well here's something you can't say because it's a secret.
"You can't tell him that, because he's not clear to know that."
Government wants to control information and control language, because that's the way you control thought...
and basically that's the game their in.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The overall caveat in modern feminism = In order to empower women we must dis-empower men.

See a women coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = you go girl way to make something of yourself and help out the next generation

See a man coaching a basketball team full of 15 year old girls = Ew, what a pervert! I bet he jerks off while they're all in the locker room.

The cause/effect relationship is quite simple. Rig the system so that men are always cornered into "your worst nightmare" and many will simply avoid participation to avoid the hassle.

Works very similarly to the "race card".
This is not true at all... There are plenty of make coaches for female sports that don't get that kind of treatment at all...

When did we men become so complicit in using the victim card? lol... You guys make me a little sad inside... There may be a cause to stand up for but god you act like every woman is out to castrate every man and your so helpless to do anything about it...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-07-10 15:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You're making jokes but bureaucracy will twist your *** more each year you have to pay taxes. The more you put in a hard days work and then realize "My tax money is going toward interns doing this ***" or "there is a bureau of the government who audits census material collected from small business owners, aside from the census bureau, aside from the information that you hand in on your taxes annually"; the more you understand HOW MUCH the government *** abscesses the money we work to give them (and they treat it like board game money). Even better is how some people stuck with us on this sinking ship, sit back and expect you to work harder because they found a way to cheat the system (it's my human right to procreate so you go to work while me and my 14 kids are on wellfare. ps my brothers, sisters, parents are too because being a part of the system means i learned how to work the system).

Whatev pleebo. I have no doubt you probably have a clue how the working life goes. I don't mean to lecture here or anything. I just have a strong sense of justice about some things and tend to rant.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

Two quotes from the same speech in one day. Must be my birthday'

Quote:
They got a lot of company in this country. There's a lot of groups, a lot of institutions in this country want to control your language.
Tell you what you can say and what you can't say. Government wants to tell you some things you can't say because it's against the law.
Well you can't say this because it's against the regulation.
Well here's something you can't say because it's a secret.
"You can't tell him that, because he's not clear to know that."
Government wants to control information and control language, because that's the way you control thought...
and basically that's the game their in.
Is it actually illegal now to say freshman in Washington or did they just change what they would officially use?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 15:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This was not a vote to regulate what you can or cannot say. It changed the language in the written statutes. You are still free to say fisherman or mailman or whatever the *** else has 'man' in it. That quote is irrelevant.

inb4 slippery slope
[+]
By Drjones 2013-07-10 15:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't privy to the details, but suffice to say he was pretty scared for his career for a while there. He did the right thing and got burned pretty hard for it. Had the judge not sided with him it would have wrecked his life.

You call all keep on your high horses, but here's a guy who did what was right and someone turned around and cockslapped him in the face for it. People who aren't as awesome as my friend not jumping in to save someone, while lamentable, is perfectly understandable from where I'm standing.

We live in a world where doing the right thing can and will be punished. Some folks are just more pragmatic about addressing that reality.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-10 15:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

When did we men become so complicit in using the victim card? lol... You guys make me a little sad inside... There may be a cause to stand up for but god you act like every woman is out to castrate every man and your so helpless to do anything about it...

It's hilarious because if being labeled a pervert for saving a life in a restroom or the paralyzing fear of being labeled a kiddy fiddler after fishing a girl out of a lake and using CPR to save her life is the best we men have in arsenal, this war is done before it started.

In a world where women are sex trafficked, face genital mutilation, insane husbands who beat the paste out of them, glass ceilings in sectors of industry, harassment on the job, objectification and cultural barriers we men have.... potentially catching ignorant comments while coaching a female basketball team.

Pardon me if I shake some laughs out of my gut.
[+]
By Drjones 2013-07-10 15:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the fear there is more along the lines of "ending up as a registered sex offender", and I think you know that.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 15:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't privy to the details, but suffice to say he was pretty scared for his career for a while there. He did the right thing and got burned pretty hard for it. Had the judge not sided with him it would have wrecked his life.

You call all keep on your high horses, but here's a guy who did what was right and someone turned around and cockslapped him in the face for it. People who aren't as awesome as my friend not jumping in to save someone, while lamentable, is perfectly understandable from where I'm standing.

We live in a world where doing the right thing can and will be punished. Some folks are just more pragmatic about addressing that reality.
I never said people wouldn't rake you over the coals for doing what's right... We're talking about public perception here... did everyone there watching him save this guys life turn on your friend and start calling him a *** or whatever else? They probably let out a sigh of relief... or cheered him on...

Their is a problem though with certain actions like that in that if you're not licensed to perform cpr and you do and save the persons life but in doing so crack a rib or harm them in some way along those lines you can still get in trouble... hell a guy might not be dying and an act I take kills him... there can always be questions with that and always someone out there who is looking to be an ***...

However, I don't think I've ever heard about a situation where the parents are all like oh my god you saved my daughter but I think your hand brushed up against her breast when you were pulling her out of the water so you mr. pervert have to go to jail now...
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-10 15:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Without the details its hard to say anything regarding that individual case. Further, there are plenty of things that can go wrong while doing the "right" thing and I mean mundane things like crossing the street at a crosswalk and getting mowed down by a car. Is that going to stop you from doing whatever it is you need to do?

How risk averse are you going to be?
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 23 24 25