First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 13 14 15
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-30 22:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Karusan said:
Just because they're playing how they want doesn't mean you can't *** about them, we're elitist snobs after all! :D

I think my social is starting to notice this <_> Excuse me for wanting to be around people with a good grasp of game mechanics.
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-30 22:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Tyndal said:
Dubont said:
well if you go by the "they play how they want" logic then that makes this entire thread void. What if some whms dont want to cure ptys? What if they do want to DD? What if they want to full time Str gear? What about acc? Hell what if one wanted to full time an AGI build? Would they be wrong...since they are playing how they want?

simple answer: no, they aren't wrong
long asnwer: If they are getting things done they want, then more power to them. If they don't meet your standards, don't invite/play with them and find people who do meet your standards. If you do happen to get in a party with them, don't worry about leaving said party/don't worry about changing their mind about the game. #1 reason why I don't play with random people is I'm tired of meeting people who do not meet my standards of play, but sure as hell can bet when I go level solo/goof around with friends/whatever, I try some dumb stuff cause I can and it is fun.

oh im not saying dont try new stuff. I play Cor/Drk and Cor/Thf constantly (sometimes even Drk/Blm to utilize the full range of the mage side of the job) but im just making a point that if you play a certain job (say Whm since its the topic) and you get access to all these healing and support spells...why not use them? Why would you want to play WHM but dd? Why would u want to play PLD but main heal? It makes no sense. Sure people can play how they want, im not knocking them for it, but if they play how THEY want, eventually wont it hurt those around them? Just my 2 cents...also...if i cant say that x Person sucks because he is x job and isnt doing x things then this entire thread (like i said) is boid.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-30 22:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
I make it a point not to be an elitist whm snob :P

We all started out somewhere, I try to respect it. Likewise, if the person is HIGH lvl and doing something that endangers the group, then yeah.. *** about it.

Fair enough, if the person is clearly new or is at a low enough level they may not be completely comfortable with the job that's one thing. I'm talking about the people who have been playing at least a year and still don't understand basic gameplay though.
 Lakshmi.Tyndal
Server: Lakshmi
user: delan35
By Lakshmi.Tyndal 2009-06-30 22:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
oh im not saying dont try new stuff. I play Cor/Drk and Cor/Thf constantly (sometimes even Drk/Blm to utilize the full range of the mage side of the job) but im just making a point that if you play a certain job (say Whm since its the topic) and you get access to all these healing and support spells...why not use them? Why would you want to play WHM but dd? Why would u want to play PLD but main heal? It makes no sense. Sure people can play how they want, im not knocking them for it, but if they play how THEY want, eventually wont it hurt those around them? Just my 2 cents...also...if i cant say that x Person sucks because he is x job and isnt doing x things then this entire thread (like i said) is boid.

If someone were to join an LS of mine, I'd coach them. If they are some random person, idc what they do. I don't play RDM for anyone but me. I don't touch it for events, I don't care what anyone else says/does to/with the job, I don't care if it is the "best" job I have for something. It is for me, and me alone. So, when I go do something, I melee, I nuke, I do anything I want. Don't like it, tough, I don't care what you like. You want me for X event, I have other jobs that I'll bring. I don't care if /anything is the best subjob for it either. I use what I want to try, and again, I don't care what anyone else says.

That being, if someone is using a job for some event with my LS, I'll try to guide them to a more efficient palyer, but if it is just merits/exp, in the end it doesn't really matter anyway. And as for doing random pickup stuff, if you care that much about what people do, I personally think it is you fault for doing it with random people, not theirs for not matching your expectations.
[+]
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-30 22:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bart everyone knows you are THE elitist whm snob. :P
....Has your avatar gotten faster? o.O

Linkshell activities I think come under a different category, there is an objective and everyone needs to play to their best to achieve their objective. If someone isn't doing their job then it's the leaders responsibility to manage that person and make them learn what it is they should be doing.

For one of things and pickups, if you haven't set expectations down beforehand then it's a free for all.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-30 22:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people have no choice but to do things with random people, so it would be nice if people knew wtf they were doing and actually HELPED the situation.

I'm well known in my LS for bitching about how *** stupid other blu's are with their gear choices, I /c most blus I see to see what gear they're using, and there are some dumbass blus out there I can tell you that. But what my LS don't realise, and something that is often hard to remember, is that I have no issues with blus that have ***gear because they can't get any better, as long as they're smart about what gear they do use. When I see someone meleeing demons in crimson feet, or using higher damage sword in off-hand or wearing gear that offers them absolutely nothing for what they're doing, that's when I *** about stupidity, not when they're wearing NQ prince's slops, at least they're the best piece you can get when you have no gil.

My point is, we were all new once, remember that, and take note of the difference between stupid players and broke players (when it comes to gear anyway).
[+]
 Unicorn.Alarin
Server: Unicorn
user: Alar
By Unicorn.Alarin 2009-06-30 22:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

While /sch is really nice it doesn't make or break you. Most of the time endgame whm is just a cycle of casting regen3, haste, barspell, cure3 on tank during ichi interrupt, cure5 when needed with random -na spell thrown in. As long as you can manage mp well and pay attention gear and sub doesn't tend to matter at all.

I used to have a pretty well geared whm, but now I've sold off almost all that stuff to focus on blm and rdm I can still keep up with the better geared ones just by paying attention, having good merits (no excuse for not having 5/5 cure casting time reduction) and playing the job decently.

If you really want the best gear for whm you'd need to have a barspell set, a hmp set, an enmity down set, a max mp set, a cure5 mnd set, an enfeeble set, a repose set, a haste set, a banish nuking set, and a fastcast set. If you want to just be a simple nonblink whm playing the job part time, prioritize cure potency, fastcast/cure cast time reduction, then haste.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-30 22:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
A lot of people have no choice but to do things with random people, so it would be nice if people knew wtf they were doing and actually HELPED the situation.

I'm well known in my LS for bitching about how *** stupid other blu's are with their gear choices, I /c most blus I see to see what gear they're using, and there are some dumbass blus out there I can tell you that. But what my LS don't realise, and something that is often hard to remember, is that I have no issues with blus that have ***gear because they can't get any better, as long as they're smart about what gear they do use. When I see someone meleeing demons in crimson feet, or using higher damage sword in off-hand or wearing gear that offers them absolutely nothing for what they're doing, that's when I *** about stupidity, not when they're wearing NQ prince's slops, at least they're the best piece you can get when you have no gil.

My point is, we were all new once, remember that, and take note of the difference between stupid players and broke players (when it comes to gear anyway).

This, a million times over. Your gear doesn't have to be great, it just has to make sense for the task at hand.
[+]
 Odin.Arnor
user: arnor
By Odin.Arnor 2009-06-30 23:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Andross said:
Arnor said:
again i say it i have no problem with sch sub its an amazing sub im not bashing it at all.. but all im saying is dont bash someone or tell someone how to play thier job for not having /sch.. and noone should feel bad about /smn with max MP boost and auto refresh its a decent sub.. its not a question of what thier sub is a whm/blm or /smn could be great and a /sch might suck and id take a /blm or /smn that knows what they are doin over a /sch thats only doin what everyone else says they should any day -.- if you have sch use it by all means but dont go telling others they have to do it when they can do just fine without it too.. cause people play this game to have fun.. not be bashed for playing it the way they want to

I'm not saying WHM/BLMs suck, just that /blm is not a good SJ for WHM. It isn't. /sch is better. There's really no reason to defend /blm. /blm does nothing for WHM outside of ES. I have no idea why it's the most common SJ for WHM. I assume people are stuck in 2004.

/smn shouldn't be used outside of sacing dyna xarc. Most WHM sub it for Auto Refresh, which makes no sense. I've never seen a /pld, which offers the same Auto refresh, but also some good defensive options (sentinel, for example).

If there wasn't /sch, I'd go /drk for stun.

thats just it.. there are more reasons for /blm and /smn and also the chance they dont have /sch leveled.. smn isnt just auto refresh.. they get max mp bonus too.. max mp > pld defense bonus.. then blm has ES a few different sleeps escape warp drain and aspir.. i know sch has drain and aspir but if someone doesnt have /sch lvled then this could work too.. im not saying if they have /sch lvled they shouldnt use it.. just saying /blm and /smn wont make or break the job.. and if someone who paid good money to play this game uses thier personal judgement and feelings to not lvl sch or use /blm or smn on a game they play for fun.. noone should bash them for it.. /sch is amazing but its not a must.. if certain subjobs were a must every DD would be ninja and noone would hit thier full potential. just let people play how they want.. you wouldnt want people telling you your doin something wrong or how you should play game dont tell people how they should play -.-
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-30 23:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, if I'm genuinely doing it wrong I hope somebody says so >.> Not being /SCH hardly qualifies for that though.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.October
Server: Midgardsormr
user: izzlet
By Midgardsormr.October 2009-07-01 00:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I pay $14 a month for this game, I have a right to play it however I want.

So if I wanna play it by being bossy and elitist, by god, I'm going to do it. It's my money!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.October
user: izzlet
By Midgardsormr.October 2009-07-01 00:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:

Just be the best goddamn WHM you can be. :p

This might help:

You can do it, little whms! I believe in you!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-01 00:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It might be your $13.95, but when you're in a party, it's our $69.75 you're *** with.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-01 01:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I get it. `_____`
 Kujata.Meilin
Server: Kujata
user: Siris
By Kujata.Meilin 2009-07-01 01:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM is my first 75 and main job and I <3 it, I like to think I'm decent at it when I try but... My bf yells at me a lot cause most of the time I'm watching anime while playing and not paying attention! Heh. The only SJ I use/will use is /blm not because I think it's better I just <3 free warp! Also because while /sch gives lotsa awesome ***I play the job fine w/o all the bells and whistles /sch gives. The only thing /sch would do for me is complicate my macro pallet worse then it is :P
[+]
 Kujata.Aurica
Server: Kujata
user: Cartman
By Kujata.Aurica 2009-07-01 01:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, reading all of this makes me not ever want to play WHM again.

I'm an old-school WHM. I used to play WHM a lot before I quit back in 2007. Now that I'm back, I thought about leveling WHM again. But hearing all of this controversy pushes me away from it because I don't want to end up being a crappy WHM.

I will not argue about the benefits/deficits of subjobs. You guys seem to have that covered already. But I will say (like others before me have) that your subjob shouldn't be the only measure of how good a WHM you are. If a WHM can get by just fine being /BLM or /SMN, then let them. They might not have the job unlocked. They might not have WotG installed. They might have the job unlocked but not leveled at all or not at 37 (I was guilty of this when I played with /SMN @ WHM75/SMN30 ;; ). You can't judge a person just by their subjob.

Another thing that makes me want to cry even more is how much ppl are saying about different gear sets. Back when I played this (click link) was about what I wore all the time. I never had the latent ring. I had some MND rings but I hardly swapped them out. I just didn't have a lot of gear for my WHM and I still did just fine (I think anyway). Just because someone doesn't have all this gear that some ppl here seems to say that every single WHM should have doesn't mean that they are a bad WHM. They might not be able to afford everything. They might not have the inventory space. WHM may not be their main job. They may not have the same knowledge that some others do. You can't fault a person because of their gear.

Everything that people here have said just makes me not want to level WHM again because I am afraid that I will be considered gimp if I don't have all of this kick-*** gear or /SCH. So I think I am just going to avoid it like the plague.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Razgrize
user: Razgrize
By Midgardsormr.Razgrize 2009-07-01 02:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to the original subject, after all the tangents you all always go on about here. I think being a new age whm with stuff like /sch, new merits, new abilities/spells and new equip like the up coming Selenian Cap and Marduk Gear has really just transformed whm into something it has desperately needed for a while. rdms and smns where able to be a primary healer just as good as a whm for a long time. Not saying that's a bad thing just saying it's the whms primary job to heal others. Why place someone else in that position. With some of the new features that I mentioned whms can now be more efficient, more versatile and faster. I have recently been toying with macros for an optimal fast cast for cures. And its quite amazing how fast I can toss out a cure spell. Here will be the ideal setup when finished:

WHM/SCH
Templar Mace
Numinous Shield +1
White Tathlum
Selenian Cap (MND+4 Cure, Potency +3%, Fast Cast +3%, lol BP ability delay)
Beak Necklace +1
Loquacious Earring
Roundel Earring
Marduk's Jubbah
Blessed Mitts
Bomb Queen Ring
Tamas Ring
Intensifying Cape
Hierarch Belt
Blessed Trousers
Cure Clogs

This set gives a total -55% cure cast time with max Cure Cast Time merits and light art up. Not sure how Celerities 50% would play into this since that would total 105%. This gear set would only be used for the initial cast then you would macro in your Cure gear (Cure Potency, MND, VIT etc.) I will spare you on that macro set on this. Then lastly you would equip a haste setup for the recast on your spells. This may seem all confusing but its really easy to use if your using windower macros.

Overall I personnel like to use a lot of Cure Potency, HP, MP, and MND for my whm and find /sch way superior to the other subs. (yes I used /blm and /smn and liked them a lot at the time of use). Like others have mentioned whm takes a very good attention span and it's very hard to hide as a bad whm since the party is so dependent on you to keep them alive. Hope this thread helps up and coming whms learn to optimize there play. Take criticism from others when needed and don't get too frustrated that's when I see most whms fail. You will find your self in tough situations, have many tough decisions to make in the heat of the moment and this may make others upset at you. But at the end of the day its still a game! Live it!
[+]
 Ramuh.Miemo
Server: Ramuh
user: Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-07-01 02:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

/slight derail

Just puting it out there.
I don't mind "bad" whm's half as much as I disslike Endgameready BLM's that can not for the life of them land a single Magic Burst..!

/rerail
[+]
 Phoenix.Braco
Server: Phoenix
user: Braco
By Phoenix.Braco 2009-07-01 02:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Miemo said:
/slight derail

I don't mind "bad" whm's half as much as I disslike Endgameready BLM's that can not for the life of them land a single Magic Burst..!

/rerail

Everytime i read something like this about BLMs i start laughing, so I just had to post.

If you ask me this is more the fault of the comunity then the BLMs. Since most of the time BLMs now adays are forced to solo/or burn to 75. And have had little or no experiance with Magic Bursts, even if they get a party after 55 theres no way in hell they'll have a chance to burst, couse no one SCs anymore. The whole end game BLM thing cracks me up, because no one wants to party with them past 55, or SC after 40(before that it's rare but happens), and yet EVERYONE ,at one point, wants them in endgame/BCNMs/KSNMs/(insert activity where you might need a BLM) It's rediculus.

I'm so glad i went WAR, but i know a couple of ppl that gave up BLM because of this.
Sorry for derail but couldn't help my self (still grining as I type this)
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-01 02:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just the way the job is played dude. Same with smn, great for certain end-game events, sucks for invites, or is expected to main heal. Same situation with a few other jobs probably, and I'm sure some jobs will get party invites easily but suck at end game.

BLM's are great for end-game, so if you want to be useful in end-game, level BLM. The fact that you have to solo most of the way is just part of the process of levelling blm, don't like it? Don't level it, simple as that.

As for MB, I agree with you to a certain point that it's the fault of the community, and moreso the fault of SE for allowing the most efficient exp at later levels to be tp burn without requiring SC's. But come on, MB really isn't that hard, WS > WS = SC, cast magic = MB, it's frigging easy.

Need more info? Spend 2 minutes reading the magic burst page on wiki. Still can't MB? /wrists
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-01 02:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Braco said:
Miemo said:
/slight derail

/rerail

Everytime i read something like this about BLMs i start laughing, so I just had to post.

If you ask me this is more the fault of the comunity then the BLMs. Since most of the time BLMs now adays are forced to solo/or burn to 75. And have had little or no experiance with Magic Bursts, even if they get a party after 55 theres no way in hell they'll have a chance to burst, couse no one SCs anymore. The whole end game BLM thing cracks me up, because no one wants to party with them past 55, or SC after 40(before that it's rare but happens), and yet EVERYONE ,at one point, wants them in endgame/BCNMs/KSNMs/(insert activity where you might need a BLM) It's rediculus.

I'm so glad i went WAR, but i know a couple of ppl that gave up BLM because of this.
Sorry for derail but couldn't help my self (still grining as I type this)

This :( Don't blame the BLM when nobody even SC's anymore, no SC means no opportunity to even try to MB. I struggled with it for a little while at 75 simply because I had no practice and so didn't have the timing down for Tier IV and AMII.
[+]
 Ramuh.Miemo
Server: Ramuh
user: Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-07-01 02:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I solod BLM to 75 most way too. Just saying it annoys me that some ppl don't even try and learn to MB...
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-01 02:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if you're brand spanking new to end-game then I don't expect you to be able to land TIV and AM MB's, but you should be able to get the hang of drain and T1's damn near first try, then work your way up from there.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-01 02:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

whm, blm, whatever *shrug*
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-01 02:51:21
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I miss the old days. Lufaise Meadows... Abraxxas mobs... SAM MNK PLD RDM BLM BLM... best pt ever, so much fun and yummy exp to match it.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 13 14 15