[Archive] Bushido - The Way Of The Samurai (A Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » [Archive] Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide)
[Archive] Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 35 36 37
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2013-09-24 14:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
example would be a

[cut]
Aaah now we're talking! :P
Yes I see what you mean now, a bit better at least.
They do not apply to my situation but sure, it does make a lot of sense ;)
Tbh I probably would have had lot more of these sets at the release of SoA, I remember on my other jobs I had way more.
Some of those kinda lost relevance by now, it's either 1-2 different items only, or more sets have consolidated into a single one =/
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-24 14:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
example would be a

[cut]
Aaah now we're talking! :P
Yes I see what you mean now, a bit better at least.
They do not apply to my situation but sure, it does make a lot of sense ;)

Basically what I'm getting at is that putting together a handful of optimized sets for different situations or even targeted as specific mobs doesn't require much effort or additional gear. The cost/reward ratio is pretty good compared to the optimization cost of a lot of jobs. At the point when I quit FF, I hardly used SAM for events, but keeping it up to a decent level was relatively simple.

Like the 2 sets that Llew posted, the difference in optimization between using a haste body and using AF3 body. You'd probably already have windbuffet and one of the good haste bodies available anyway, why not have that set defined and available to swap into for the situations where it's better?
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-09-25 12:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be an optimal set with Amano after november update?
I guess this GKT will destroy Tsurumaru because of Kaiten properties.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-09-25 13:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just hoping that they release that whole empy WS unlock thing as well. I want my koga to be god tier. :(
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-25 14:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »

With the added skill and amount of accuracy available, anything that Amano would beat Tsuru on, Masa would likely beat Amano. Kaiten is a good WS, but it's almost always behind Fudo for a couple reasons. Flat fTP means that kaiten gets nothing from extra TP above 100 giving the immediate advantage to fudo. And Masamune's aftermath generally beats Amano's OD2.5. There's a lot of other factors, but that's the simple version.

That's all assuming the update increases just the base damage and adds an equal amount of skill to each.

Either way it's going to be tough to beat 25 save TP and 450 delay on Tsuru. I don't see any RME's beating Tsuru by much if you are using shoha. But it's all speculation until the stats are known.
 Ragnarok.Dragish
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Dragish 2013-09-25 16:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

With the added skill and amount of accuracy available, anything that Amano would beat Tsuru on, Masa would likely beat Amano. Kaiten is a good WS, but it's almost always behind Fudo for a couple reasons. Flat fTP means that kaiten gets nothing from extra TP above 100 giving the immediate advantage to fudo. And Masamune's aftermath generally beats Amano's OD2.5. There's a lot of other factors, but that's the simple version.

That's all assuming the update increases just the base damage and adds an equal amount of skill to each.

Either way it's going to be tough to beat 25 save TP and 450 delay on Tsuru. I don't see any RME's beating Tsuru by much if you are using shoha. But it's all speculation until the stats are known.

Great Katana skill + 300++ and prob a huge DMG boost

edit: at minimum
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-25 16:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Dragish said: »

Great Katana skill + 300++ and prob a huge DMG boost

edit: at minimum

who knows, they've gone back and forth on how they want RME's to compete with SoA weapons. Either way, a 5 hit Masa/Amano build is going to have a disadvantage to a possible 3 hit Tsuru build.
 Ragnarok.Gunit
user: Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2013-09-30 16:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

What buffs have you guys been using apex arrow with?
 Lakshmi.Krazykozy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Krazykozy
By Lakshmi.Krazykozy 2013-10-08 10:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 313716 ItemSet 314148
**Bow is rank 15 Path B**
This is my current Apex set. I have capped archery skill and capped archery merits and currently 3/5 on Apex Arrow merits. Now my question is this, would a Hope Torque be better then the gorget considering it bumps you from I think it's what a B or B- to a B+ w. Torque. Or would Light Gorget still perform better?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 14:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

probably worthless based on how the ilvl skill stacks.
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-10-08 15:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Random uninformed SAM question:

I've noticed a lot of chatter recently about Apex on SAM. Is this just because people are bored or is it actually superior for DPS in some cases? If so, which cases?

thanks
 Bismarck.Mankey
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Mankey 2013-10-08 15:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

When my linkshell did legion and I used only shoha I lost to the ranger and occasionally a monk. When I started using apex arrow I was beating them by a good chunk. It seems superior to me in legion with enough buffs. I've heard it's good on Muyingwa but I'm always on ranger for that so I can't say. Other than that I don't really use apex arrow.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 16:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

it's only superior because it ignores defense.
 Lakshmi.Krazykozy
user: Krazykozy
By Lakshmi.Krazykozy 2013-10-08 16:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So, would a hope torque be better in the neck slot then light gorget cuz it would bump you up a teir before the weapon would it not?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 16:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

not the way you think it would

Edit: People are reporting that other +skill gear doesn't stack with the +skill on iLVL weapons, so that skill on Hope Torque would be doing nothing for you when you have 180 on your bow.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-10-08 17:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Only h2h has weapon skill tiers >_>. Also the reason apex is winning in most cases is the piercing bonus many mobs have, I'd say it's worth having unlocked if you plan on doing a lot of muyingwa or legion, but it may not even be worthwhile on muyingwa if you can't get racc buffs.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 17:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

even the piercing weakness wouldn't put apex ahead on high level targets with sam's low ranged attack if it didn't ignore defense.
 Bismarck.Keityan
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-10-08 17:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

even the piercing weakness wouldn't put apex ahead on high level targets with sam's low ranged attack if it didn't ignore defense.

Nope, it works because ranged attack have a different attack cap than melee. So while you attack cap on melee hits, you cap twice as high on a ranged attack. This allows for a higher damage potential on ranged WS than melee WS. Of course, the partial (you're totally overestimating it, it's PARTIAL) ignore defense helps to get it higher, SAM's were able to do way before apex by using namas/sidewinder or having good buffs. So while it's true that partial ignore defense is helpful, it is rarely needed since the situations that you use it are already in high attack situations.

Try Apex on any of the VWNM NM's or Legion. Prov Watcher, ADL, Morta etc. Just by the superior skill+ rating and the resulting ranged attack cap (2x higher.)(2.25 modifier melee 3 modifier for ranged) you'll never beat Apex with Shoha.(Edit: Also- fSTR2 caps 2x higher)

It is generally a good rule of thumb to pick and chose your target based on piercing weakness. In piercing situations, you don't even need to cap attack to already get superior damage to melee WS (shoha). When you cap on piercing weak mobs, it is devastating and nothing can beat it but a good RNG with the right abilities up.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-08 18:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

that's only if you're getting ranged buffs, in standard dd trim buffs it won't be pulling ahead like that without a sizable piercing advantage. apex is still useful when you're not super buffed, unlike sidewinder and namas.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-10-08 18:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Keityan said: »
Just by the superior skill+ rating and the resulting ranged attack cap (2x higher.)
Ranged ratio cap is not twice as high as melee.
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-10-08 18:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Bismarck.Keityan said: »
Just by the superior skill+ rating and the resulting ranged attack cap (2x higher.)
Ranged ratio cap is not twice as high as melee.

for reference to the others
Melee weapons have a Ratio cap of 2.25
Ranged Attacks have a Ratio cap of 3.0
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-10-09 04:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't check direct details before posting, but I fixed the above post(did the calculation too long ago and jumbled some variables) What is true (and what I really wanted to push as 2x) is that fSTR on ranged weapons cap twice as high as melee weapons. So given these variables, bow WS's will always beat melee WS's if you're overloading attack/STR.

Quote:
apex is still useful when you're not super buffed, unlike sidewinder and namas.

No it's not. They play the same exact niche. This is because you're over-estimating the amount of attack it needs- it doesn't completely ignore defense. It is based on TP and you still need a ton of attack to make it work. Apex always loses to Namas. The only reason why it's doing well now is because you have a Spelgan bow with superior damage rating and +skill. When I tested Apex and Namas when Yoichi was still the best bow for SAM, it never outperformed Namas in low or high buffed situations.

When you're not super buffed and you don't have enough attack, you wouldn't use Apex Arrow, you'd use Shoha. This is because you don't have enough attack to support the WS. Because G.kat skill cap is higher than bow, in these high defense situations, you'd always prefer g.kat over bow.
 Ragnarok.Gunit
user: Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2013-10-10 16:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats a Namas arrow set look like now?
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-10-11 10:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Gunit said: »
Whats a Namas arrow set look like now?

it looks really close to apex set which looks like this:

ItemSet 310503

The only difference is that with Namas, you'd prefer to use Vulcan Pearls and Pyrosoul rings since the STR and AGI mods are equal for Namas, which means if you're capped STR, they'd contribute the same exact way. STR also affects STR-VIT(mob) calculations too, so if you're not capped there, it's safer to use STR over AGI for namas.

It's also a tossup vs Tenryu Hakama +1 vs Otronif Brais. They are really close and Tenryu still has a slight edge.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2013-10-15 13:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for a generic NoIonis TP set.

ItemSet 311451

This one is awesome but I don't have Porthos Byrnie. How can I reassemble the set? Otronif Body would make me sit at 24% Haste, and using a haste belt gives me too much haste without any other decent option for body (could use AF3+2, but without the need for that STP it sounds like a bad choice).

Karieyh and Gorney could be decent options since they have SoA stats and multiattack, but they give only 2% and 3% Haste which is not enough.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-10-16 09:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Goading + Juogi+1?
By itchi508 2013-10-16 09:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Only option to cap haste 26% w/o going over in a similar set to what you wish to use with the Gorney, is with usu +1 feet and that combo seems like a down grade to what is available.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Should use this even though its short 3% its ideal if you don have porthos.
Otherwise use Otronif harness, be at 24% haste And lose the DA from gorney, which is not worth it.
ItemSet 314423

here is a solution to your set 25% haste, or use whirlpool greaves for 26% haste & just eat carbonara. use Misuuchi kappa or JSE cape.
ItemSet 314422
 Lakshmi.Bladewing
user: bladewing
By Lakshmi.Bladewing 2013-10-16 11:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Have not been able to mess with the spreadsheets honestly and after reading a few pages back in this post I am still not clear what is considered the best NonIonis TP set...
By itchi508 2013-10-16 11:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
Well I'll offer 2 basic sets.

With Ionis:
ItemSet 311460
Can use Porthos Byrnie if you don't have 2DA on Otronif Harness. Can also swap Takaha Mantle to Misuuchi Kappa if you use Carbonara or have Samurai Roll.

Without Ionis:
ItemSet 311451
Refer to this and swop your body to Otronif & try for DA or use Gorney until you either get Porthos or there becomes a better option.
Otherwise use Unkai/goading @ 25% haste and drop windbuffet.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-10-16 12:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
but without the need for that STP it sounds like a bad choice).
Nothing wrong with overshooting your x-hit if there's no better options. Any excess TP becomes added TP bonus for Shoha.

Lakshmi.Bladewing said: »
Have not been able to mess with the spreadsheets honestly and after reading a few pages back in this post I am still not clear what is considered the best NonIonis TP set...

Attack uncapped:
ItemSet 311451

Attack capped:
ItemSet 311452

For the people saying they don't have Porthos, you can just swap to AF3 body, Mikinaak Greaves Rank A15 and any 7% or higher haste belt. If you don't have Rank A15 Mikinaak Greaves either then just swap to AF3 body and Dynamic Belt +1. Only around a .003% difference between the two so just choose whichever is more convenient for you.
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 35 36 37