(Don't) Fear The Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » (Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
(Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 209 210
By Taint 2024-10-15 07:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont forget SE for B/F Windhands!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-15 09:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
but have never seen anyone share any numbers.

I throw Scarlet praise with screenshots in various thread all the time. Most fun ability in the game.

This is probably my favorite one, because it's also best use for Apocalypse I have found so far :)
Keep in mind this is almost 2 years old, probably like Nyame20,empy+2 and no Aria.

Did you ignore this ambuscade mechanic of running away and just kill it with Apoc?
By SimonSes 2024-10-15 09:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Did you ignore this ambuscade mechanic of running away and just kill it with Apoc?

Yep :)

I did DS+NE drain III to have big enough HP pool to survive those 1.5k DoT ticks between Catastrophes. If I remember this right, there is one SP that can kill your there, or force you to run to little moogles.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-15 09:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

That is the kind of innovative and creative use of job abilities/weapons that I love to see. Need more unique applications like that. Very cool
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-15 09:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If I remember this right, there is one SP that can kill your there, or force you to run to little moogles.

Perfect Dodge. Though if he's still using TP moves, being stunned or terrorized would be quite inconvenient.
By SimonSes 2024-10-15 09:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrox78 said: »
Dodik said: »
Most guaranteed to piss off your healers ability in the game, for sure.

You better bring your own healer if you wanna go all emo-Drk circa 2003.

You can control this ability to some extension. Predict damage, have few tiers of gear to boost %HP damage taken etc. You can use Dread Spikes on stuff that you know won't resist the effect. You can have TP ready to use Catastrophe or Origin (and miss :D). In current state of the game, everything that brings some emotions and breaks the routine is welcomed.

It’s sad that it has been reduced to a mere gimmick. Hell, I can’t even soul eater anymore unless I’m using it to grab hate on the botulism and then turn it off, primes capping DMG so easily kinda killed SD and SE unless you just want to troll your healers (and my static healers will just let me die lol)

I disagree. You are not caping damage unless you are buffed to the roof and hold TP and/or have savagery. There is also huge gain in white damage. SD can potentially still adds tons of DPS.
By SimonSes 2024-10-15 09:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
If I remember this right, there is one SP that can kill your there, or force you to run to little moogles.

Perfect Dodge. Though if he's still using TP moves, being stunned or terrorized would be quite inconvenient.

I think chainspell and manafont force him to use spells only, so you can zerg it safely during that time. There is for sure some randomness involved for that method.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-15 09:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I think chainspell and manafont force him to use spells only, so you can zerg it safely during that time. There is for sure some randomness involved for that method.

5% miss chances also suck. 1 is probably OK, but 2 means certain death. Also nobody other than other Apoc/Foe DRKs can do any damage, so it will probably be slower overall.

It's definitely a neat gimmick and fun to mess around with, but not ideal.
By SimonSes 2024-10-15 10:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

5% miss chances also suck. 1 is probably OK, but 2 means certain death. Also nobody other than other Apoc/Foe DRKs can do any damage, so it will probably be slower overall.

Definitely, but doesn't normal strategy involves just white damage under constant amnesia or just stop damage when it's in DoT mode and just following moogles. Afaik it's pretty long fight that way. You can also technically have other DD just do the same, while DRK is spanking cata/origin. Especially RNG should be effective with white damage from Arma.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-15 10:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely, but doesn't normal strategy involves just white damage under constant amnesia or just stop damage when it's in DoT mode and just following moogles. Afaik it's pretty long fight that way. You can also technically have other DD just do the same, while DRK is spanking cata/origin. Especially RNG should be effective with white damage from Arma.

It is mostly white damage under amnesia, but TBH there's often a risk of pushing the next 1hr from him before the current one wears off, because 5 people doing white damage is...a lot. It's definitely not a very long fight if you are doing it right, his HP flies down.

The only people who can do this are RNG or possibly COR but that assumes that the regen moogle is standing close enough to the boss moogle for you to be able to shoot him and also no pillars in the way, etc. Also can't do this while the regen moogle is moving, which is pretty often. And in a fight where (for non-Apoc DRKs) you have to move a lot, I wouldn't want to bring a RNG anyway because their white damage weapons all revolve around standing still to shoot, which is asking to have an aura move away from you. Even if you don't die, while you're chasing the moogles you're not doing your primary source of damage. WAR, MNK, hell even THF doesn't have this problem.
By SimonSes 2024-10-15 10:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ehhh I guess it depends if you are using ja0wait and even if you don't RNG shots almost immediately those days and moving is actually required to keep hover shot. With Hover shot stacks and being able to damage from distance RNG should be actually amazing for this.

Btw if you proc SD, DRK white damage is second to only Ukon WAR probably.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-15 11:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

...Especially if you use a good weapon instead of Apocalypse. Sorry I couldn't resist.
By SimonSes 2024-10-15 11:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

...Especially if you use a good weapon instead of Apocalypse. Sorry I couldn't resist.

I love Appc, but I'm also a math person I know it's place. I wouldn't use it for WS strategy too in the first place, but Foenaria wasn't a thing then (and still isn't for me outside of Sortie :P). I would obviously use Calad for white damage :)
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 209 210