A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 99 100 101
By Ophannus 2013-09-13 12:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Any colonization reives in new zones that can be soloed? I tried standing outside 20' and nuking but some mobs on certain reives roam to about 20' away and aggro especially in Yorcia and Dho gates. I saw ONE reive in Marjami that I could potentially solo it's the southmost one by the beastmen tents/wooden gates. Are there any others? Trying to get Bookworm Cape and nobody does reives on my server(or if they do, its 1-2 ppl and they kill mobs for an hour while waiting for more ppl to come)
 Bismarck.Davorin
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Davorin
By Bismarck.Davorin 2013-09-13 13:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The Marjami reives all seem to have one side of the reive in a narrow corridor and the other opens up into a larger area. If you stand on the open side, it is easier to get to max distance and nuke away without aggro. Getting to the other side may require climbing in most cases.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-09-13 14:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I've solo`d a colonization reive in Yorcia on sch, helix the roots from max distance and nuke any mobs that aggro. Once helix is on you can either stand out of aggro range and let helix do the work or 1 shot(or close to) some mobs for extra bayld.
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-13 23:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
Any colonization reives in new zones that can be soloed? I tried standing outside 20' and nuking but some mobs on certain reives roam to about 20' away and aggro especially in Yorcia and Dho gates. I saw ONE reive in Marjami that I could potentially solo it's the south most one by the beastmen tents/wooden gates. Are there any others? Trying to get Bookworm Cape and nobody does reives on my server(or if they do, its 1-2 ppl and they kill mobs for an hour while waiting for more ppl to come)
I like to do three lair reives in marjami ravine by biov 4.
If you are solo/duo helix the roots once. Kill mobs until helix wears so you actually get evals, then just kill the roots. I often get 2-3 drops solo.
By Ophannus 2013-09-14 13:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought you damage from DoT doesn't count in reives. It always seems my Helix/Kaustra damage gives me credit, only the initial damage does. Any Lair Reive killed with anything less than like 800 Bayld/EXP gives a crappy *** reward like a Lesser Chigoe or a Pebble. But in order to get 1k+ bayld/EXP from Lair Reives you have to kill a lot of adds no?
 Siren.Taruina
Server: Siren
user: zerich
By Siren.Taruina 2013-09-14 14:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

DoTs don't count for points towards a person's evaluation. They do get (and keep) evaluations rolling because of "progress" happening on the reive's main objective. I've noticed that the rewards are 100% random, it doesn't matter how many drop slots you get.
By Ophannus 2013-09-15 09:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I think maybeeee Kaustra counts? Before casting Kaustra on a solo Colonization Reive I was getting like 200-250 Bayld per evaluation with like 10-12 nukes of 612 per nuke. I then Kaustra'd the rocks and suddenly I'm getting 500-600 bayld per evaluation until the effect wears off. This doesn't seem to work for when I put a Helix on though. Can anyone confirm/deny if DoT's affect evaluation?

Also Lair Reives give me like 200 bayld entirely(not counting final evaluation from defeating the target) and then I get like 1 item, usually something crappy like a luan log. When I go on my DRG and spam sonic thrust and kill dozens of adds before killing the target I get 1k+ bayld and usually 2-3 items including a cape/high tier simulacrum. I feel like I'd be better off just doing Colo reives :/

btw I've been spamming Reives in hopes of getting Bookworm Cape but now that I think about it, would Bookworm beat out Twilight Cape with Klimaform+Weather up?
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-15 19:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Does your exp/eval increase on evals past the first by a decent ammount as well? Otherwise that only has to do with damage taken by the roots/nest giving a higher max bayld.

The bit about lair reives sounds weird. I want to say I get ~1k bayld/lair (including ending eval). I haven't done it in over a week now so I don't remember exactly. Do you not kill monsters when you do lair reives on sch? I noticed often getting only 1 item at the end when I did not kill any.

On most spells, yes. On kaustra magic dmg+ doesn't effect it so likely not. I wouldn't be supprised if there were a few more spells but mostly bookworm beats twilight cape.
 Bahamut.Havelock
Server: Bahamut
user: Havelock
By Bahamut.Havelock 2013-09-16 02:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't ToM staves beat atinian on T5 nuke? I can imagine even Chatoyant beating 25 mab and 12 INT on T5. Maybe with ToM Twilight would pull ahead on T5 nukes? I'm by no means an expert but i'd like to see the numbers to confirm.
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-16 13:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just using atinian because it has int&mab on it, to push favor towards twilight cape & cause I use atinian on t1-4. I also use it when I don't want to carry around a bunch more staves. (if I do reives I try to limit my inventory use so I can spam it longer)

Since you asked:
I suggest bookmarking his list of calculators. I use them anytime I want to find something out.
By Ophannus 2013-09-17 18:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent 15mil in like maybe 10-12 stacks of Verdigris+1 and another 20mil in about 2 stacks of Verdigris+2 and countless NQ stacks. I have only gotten MAB on Hagondes pieces like twice and this is what I got:

Head: MAB+27
Body: MAB+8
Hands: MAB+4
Legs: MAB+5

w.t.f

I saw ppl with +17 MAB on legs from an NQ stone but 99% of my NQ stones yielded pdt-1%, like 60% of my +1 stones gave PDT 1-3% with a random Enmity-3, MBB+7% and most of my +2 stones gave ***like M.acc+22, Pet Attack+29, Pet MAB+26, Fast Cast+6. Man I just wanted some goddamned MAB on my hands/body/legs in the 10-20ish range but it's impossible to get and I've wasted so much gil, is MAB a really rare stat for augmenting? I always seem to get Pet stats or Enmity. I've only seen MAB like 4-5x out of like 150-200 augment attempts.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-09-18 12:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I have been entirely inactive on both ff11 and this site, I have converted the guide to a node and given Chimerawizard editing abilities to try to keep the stuff on the guide more up to date. Sorry for not doing it myself, but I have faith!
By fractalvoid 2013-09-18 13:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Inc guide going to trash cos Chim is a n00b.
[+]
 Sylph.Staleyx
Server: Sylph
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2013-09-18 20:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Day 4 In tree with no weather for trial 791 to make stun staff. Trials like this are pointless and so boring! I could be using this time to upgrade other parts of my stun set.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-09-18 21:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Staleyx said: »
Day 4 In tree with no weather for trial 791 to make stun staff. Trials like this are pointless and so boring! I could be using this time to upgrade other parts of my stun set.
I suggest going to the back areas of Sacrarium. There are spiders they added there post level cap increase that were VT to 75s I believe. So EP now :)

Around I-6/7 & I9/10 on Map 2.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-09-18 22:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Staleyx said: »

this is the best site ever for tracking weather for trials.
http://ff11info.com/bazaar/en/weather.php

enjoy.

on a side note. i am only noticing a 1-2 sec drop in recast timer for stun when using the staff. if the mob isnt using TP moves/spells that fast, would Atinian Staff be the better option, due to the massive boost in magic accuracy?
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-09-18 22:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The answer is pretty obvious.

If you need that extra -recast time, then you should use the Magian stun staff.

If you don't need the extra -recast time and you're fighting something that might resist at some point, you should use the Atinian.

If you don't need the extra -recast time and resists aren't a problem, you can use either.
[+]
 Sylph.Staleyx
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2013-09-28 16:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Still working on this stun staff. Right now I'm on Trial 824. My question to the players that have completed this staff, would applying helix to one worm at a time then nuking be the fastest way to complete this or is there another route?
 Bahamut.Phidruran
user: phidruran
By Bahamut.Phidruran 2013-09-28 18:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I used shock for this stage and then for the rest of my trials, I changed to sch/drk for manifested absorb-mnd for a friend to cleave a group.
 Sylph.Tsujikiri
user: Tsujikiri
By Sylph.Tsujikiri 2013-09-28 19:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to cleave worms at this point. It's better to join a worm party and run around applying shock/helix til next trials. Then it's sch the rest of the way with someone cleaving.
 Bahamut.Phidruran
user: phidruran
By Bahamut.Phidruran 2013-09-28 19:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I said I used shock for this stage and then cleave for the rest lol.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-09-28 21:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
I think maybeeee Kaustra counts? Before casting Kaustra on a solo Colonization Reive I was getting like 200-250 Bayld per evaluation with like 10-12 nukes of 612 per nuke. I then Kaustra'd the rocks and suddenly I'm getting 500-600 bayld per evaluation until the effect wears off. This doesn't seem to work for when I put a Helix on though. Can anyone confirm/deny if DoT's affect evaluation?

Also Lair Reives give me like 200 bayld entirely(not counting final evaluation from defeating the target) and then I get like 1 item, usually something crappy like a luan log. When I go on my DRG and spam sonic thrust and kill dozens of adds before killing the target I get 1k+ bayld and usually 2-3 items including a cape/high tier simulacrum. I feel like I'd be better off just doing Colo reives :/

btw I've been spamming Reives in hopes of getting Bookworm Cape but now that I think about it, would Bookworm beat out Twilight Cape with Klimaform+Weather up?

Seems to me that reive's still favor melee jobs. I've done many reive on sch helix'ing roots, nuking mobs, buffing, curing etc and the afk DD slapping the roots for 20mins gets a cape and I get yet another pebble.

Surely I'm doing more per eval than someone just hitting the roots aren't I? or is there something I'm missing.

Post deleted by User.
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-29 11:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, it took me a while since I couldn't edit the sets I had to make new ones, and I wanted to go through the whole thing once making edits before I published it. Please let me know any errors you find or things you think should be changed/added.
By charlo999 2013-09-29 14:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't striga crown/appentence crown be better for drain / aspir sets along with vampiric mitts/boots.(if you can get them)

Also gendwitha gages 7% fast cast not better than 3 haste?
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-29 15:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, Vampiric set (if you can get it) is +10% effect. You should already have the hagondes pieces on you, so inventory -0, vs. -2. (this was the main reason)
It's the argument of potency vs. recast-.
130%/110%=18.2% (potency increase from set+head)
60sec*(1-(.16/2FC))*(1-.25haste)= 41.4sec
60sec*(1-(.6/2FC))*(1-.14haste)=50.1sec
50.1/41.4=21% increase in recast.
then multiply (arts|alacrity) for the final recast.

Depends if you find yourself waiting on aspir recast for something, definately go w/ a haste build.

Gendewitha definately win if you can squeeze out the 3% haste somewhere else. (the grip that's in the set + ionis does this; so w/ ionis ya, gende win) but haste generally just wins against Fast Cast for recast due to only 1/2 FC going towards recast & the ease of increasing haste.

I guess I should re-up his set because it's good for a potency focused set.
By charlo999 2013-09-29 18:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Vamperic set is 30%
head is 10%
so a straight up 40% boost (so I dont get the 118.2%)
Doubt any sch is gonna use a charge on drain / aspir
better served in halving your nukes if your trying to save mp unless you using the 2% coat then half speed or half cost is gonna be better.

50.1 > 41.4 is a 17-18% (17.3652) reduction in recast not 121% dunno where you got that from. 100% would make it 0 seconds no?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-09-29 18:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

charlo999 said: »
Vamperic set is 30%

OldWiki has the set bonus at 5% and BGWiki shows 10%. Where are you getting 30% from?
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 99 100 101