Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 101 102 103 ... 449 450 451
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-08 15:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thrashing Assault closes Light with Savage Blade opening. It's basically a Light version of Quad. Continuum.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-07-08 15:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Metalsinger or Wanion for STR/DEX spells?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-07-08 19:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Metalsinger or Wanion for STR/DEX spells?
metalsinger for all due to fSTR and how blu att is calculated

Sylph.Nikia said: »
Had a few questions if you will, I see Ginsen is now in first TP set.
So that is now better than Vanir Battery?

Still wondering with the new 30% haste if that is enough to full time Suppa/Brutal or does +7DW Combo still beat it when no marches/samba?

Yes
No, until you cap delay more DW is better.

30%haste spell +25% haste gear = 55% haste
25% DW (traits) + 7% (ears) + 5% head = 37% DW

0.45 x 0.63 = 0.2835

until the above number hits 0.2 or below, you want more of either haste or DW
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-08 19:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Nikia said: »
The spell set you posted is for /war(general use)?
Just wondering how much DPS would one lose if they went /nin with something like this:

Yes.

Not doing a full mathematical comparison right now, however it would probably be somewhere between a 5 and 15% DPS loss depending on whether Berserk is applicable or not and to what magnitude. Losing DA by itself isn't a big deal. That spellset can be improved by removing things like Occultation and Dream Flower in favor of setting Triple Attack. Anywhere you'd be using /NIN won't be benefiting from sleep anyway.

I'm just going to update the spell set section while I'm updating gearsets. Nvm can't update gearsets yet. Basically:

TP Set I is still all best in slot except for the waist, which is now Shetal Stone until delay cap. Sweordfaetels +1 is worthless. Still Qaaxo or Luhlaza +1 if Thaumas is too inefficient. And no, Iuitl +1 pieces don't need augments to be best.

Avatar stat rings replace all the other stat rings in every set. MAB rings are applicable in a lot of places as well.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-08 20:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

updated spell list, set list, job traits, and added the new skillchain. set lists are basic, don't know what else to add there so if you want specific sets let me know (not like, event specific.). Due to the variable nature of job points (i.e., not everyone has them capped), I've included sets that take only 60 set points and have listed a couple of suggestions for when and if you get some job points put into BLU. The amount of points required for each set is listed right below the set title.
[+]
 Odin.Acacia
user: Acacia
By Odin.Acacia 2014-07-09 09:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, but I can't get Thrashing Assault to skillchain with anything at all.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-09 10:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Try savage blade.
 Odin.Acacia
By Odin.Acacia 2014-07-09 10:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Try savage blade.
I did, at least 10 times, nothing.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-09 10:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Acacia said: »
Try savage blade.

Are you sure you're not just missing the SC because of gear changes?
 Odin.Acacia
By Odin.Acacia 2014-07-09 10:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Try savage blade.

That wouldn't stop it from showing in the log.
By Thegod 2014-07-09 10:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Few questions no disrespect intended...

1. Have any of these sets you put in guide been put through DPs spreadsheets? I show none of those being best against any of the abaivable targets.

2. Your optimal dd spec spell list has some utility in it and I'm curious how that makes any sense since optimal dd means you will have people on ulilitu jobs....even the new haste which is awesome isn't needed in optimal dd set if your capped on delay reduction already.

3. The rest of my questions are pretty nit picky but I'm really curious why you seem to under value duel wield according to every DPs I've run DW is coming out significantly better then multi attack.(new belt for instance, confused how you could update sets and no include the biggest upgrade in gear we have ever gotten on a pure melee side)

PS. I've read the thread I don't post because no offense but no1 here is more capable of finding answers I need then myself...just curious what your method is for ,asking these guide because not much in it is optimal for anything beyond soloing

PSS. Pure dd spec spell list doesn't need a cure, an aoe erase, or any utility, if your dding vs. A samurai or monk or whatever you can't afford to drop tiers of dd traits so you can lower DPs by casting a spell a more traditional mage will be casting anyway.

70 set points allows you to set both max atk or max acc and other dd utility traits(I.e. sc bonus and STP 2) instead of useless spells the other mages will be casting...just my two cents no offense intended.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-09 10:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Try savage blade.

That wouldn't stop it from showing in the log.

Yes it does if you don't use battlemod.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-07-09 10:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thegod said: »

3. The rest of my questions are pretty nit picky but I'm really curious why you seem to under value duel wield according to every DPs I've run DW is coming out significantly better then multi attack.(new belt for instance, confused how you could update sets and no include the biggest upgrade in gear we have ever gotten on a pure melee side)

He said he updated spell lists, not gear. He noted on this page that it's now the best belt until you're delay cappped. I would have to see what gear and buffs you're using to make the DW hat come out better- I had Whirlpool/Iuitl as coming out better when I checked it a while back, but there have been some new pieces of gear that could have altered it slightly since then.

I don't entirely disagree with you on the spell sets- but then again, 1) these are just somewhat subjective suggestions anyways (he even notes that in the opening for the section) and 2) there is some value in having some utility even in a mostly full-DD set. It takes time for mages without Yagrush to go around and erase everyone, particularly if there's more than one debuff to erase. It's a similar situation for Erratic Flutter- if there's a slowga or dispel move, it takes time for those buffs to be put back up. It could also mean changing what buffs are being used in the first place. That added functionality is often part of the reason why you're on BLU rather than another DD in the first place.
 Odin.Acacia
By Odin.Acacia 2014-07-09 10:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it does if you don't use battlemod.
So it does... It's been far too long since I haven't used BlinkMeNot I guess. Thanks >.<
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-09 10:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
can't update gearsets yet. Basically:

TP Set I is still all best in slot except for the waist, which is now Shetal Stone until delay cap
Even on the same page...

ah item list hasn't been updated yet.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-09 11:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thegod said: »
Few questions no disrespect intended...

1. Have any of these sets you put in guide been put through DPs spreadsheets? I show none of those being best against any of the abaivable targets.

Between my own math and motenten's spreadsheets (which I've begun using specifically to alleviate these kinds of complaints), the gear in the OP = the best in the proper configurations for each target. Not sure what you're doing wrong to make it say otherwise, particularly since you've included 0 information or gear in your post.

Quote:
2. Your optimal dd spec spell list has some utility in it and I'm curious how that makes any sense since optimal dd means you will have people on ulilitu jobs....even the new haste which is awesome isn't needed in optimal dd set if your capped on delay reduction already.

You won't always be in a full party with full buffs. The spell section specifically says that they're general use templates meant for adjusting, if you don't think your party benefits from AoE erase or don't think you need self haste then replace them?

Quote:

At least read the very page that you're posting on. I specifically mention that the set in the OP is bes in slot with the addition of the 6% DW belt. Thurandaut cap+Cetl/Twilight Belt came out ahead pre-July update very insignificantly in exchange for a large chunk of accuracy and survivability stats, I've made several posts outlining this in the past and never put them in the tier I set due to being an overall inefficient usage of inventory. THurandaut is worthless with the new DW belt.

Quote:
PS. I've read the thread I don't post because no offense but no1 here is more capable of finding answers I need then myself...just curious what your method is for ,asking these guide because not much in it is optimal for anything beyond soloing

Honestly all this tells me is that you're trolling, specifically mentioning that no one in the thread can answer your questions but still reading it seems pretty counter intuitive, and slighting everyone who contributes information in here (including those I don't necessarily agree with) is not appreciated, particularly when you're wrong.

Quote:
PSS. Pure dd spec spell list doesn't need a cure, an aoe erase, or any utility, if your dding vs. A samurai or monk or whatever you can't afford to drop tiers of dd traits so you can lower DPs by casting a spell a more traditional mage will be casting anyway.

So again, if you don't feel like you need those spells then replace them. In a non-perfect scenario, having access to AoE erase and AoE heal is useful, whereas an extra 10~20 attack from the traits you might get for dropping these spells has a marginal benefit at best. Removing everyone's slow on Wopket, for example, is going to have a major impact on the fight compared to having a meager amount of extra attack or store tp (.9% increase in DPS in a delve boss setting with COR and BRD buffs).
 Quetzalcoatl.Disturb
user: moveZig1
By Quetzalcoatl.Disturb 2014-07-09 11:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Something interesting I just tested: The Fast Cast job trait was updated somewhere to work like Clear Mind, in that every 8 job trait points in it you gain a higher level of Fast Cast. I'm not super great with the maths though. So if someone wants to follow up on this who is and let us all know the percentages, that would be cool.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-09 11:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

has always worked like that, the fast cast values are in the OP

As an aside: There's been a dev post today stating that attack buffs will affect blue magic in August.
[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2014-07-09 12:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

As an aside: There's been a dev post today stating that attack buffs will affect blue magic in August.

I think you just made my month....
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-09 12:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I should probably specify, with a better translation it actually says they're strongly considering rather than absolutely doing it.
By kenshynofshiva 2014-07-09 12:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep hope ALIVE lol.
 Odin.Acacia
By Odin.Acacia 2014-07-09 12:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this was already addressed (it's a long thread, I haven't read it all yet) but since the weapon skill update is CDC->Amorphic more powerful then Requiescat->Quad?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-09 12:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably a wash, wouldn't be shocked if CDC -> Amorph was a bit stronger though
 Quetzalcoatl.Disturb
user: moveZig1
By Quetzalcoatl.Disturb 2014-07-09 15:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
has always worked like that, the fast cast values are in the OP

I should have looked, sorry. Was going off old information listed on the wikis and they have it wrong. Though I found something new :(
By tennotsukai87 2014-07-10 02:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

With the advent possibility of stronger blu spells, are there any decent combos available with Thrashing Assault during Azure Lore?
By kenshynofshiva 2014-07-10 12:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hope is ALIVE:
Quote:
Camate
Community Rep
Camate's Avatar Join Date
Mar 2011
Greetings,

Thanks for the feedback on blue mage. We’ll be sure to inform the development team.

In the meantime, however, I did receive some word about some upcoming plans. In the August version update they will be making it so physical blue magic spells will receive effects from food, songs, and rolls.

This is something that will affect battle balance in a big way, so the team will be making adjustments very carefully; however, they would like to make it so blue mages can really use their magic to shine.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-10 13:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully it includes Nat. Meditation/Berserk too! Sort of needs to in order to make the adjustment truly shine since it's going to be most useful for solo/lowman. In high buff situations you still won't want to stop to cast DD spells outside of Efflux/maybe Chain Affinity due to the 3.5-4s delay imposed by every spell (.5s-1s casting time + 3s magic delay with an additional 1s if you stack it with a JA)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-10 17:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

moar buffs

Quote:
he need for accuracy and magic accuracy at the same time
We understand that when fighting high level monsters there are quite severe equipment requirements when trying to land the additional effects from physical blue magic spells as you need to have both physical accuracy and magical accuracy. The development team is currently looking into adjustments for this.

However, battle balance-wise these stats are extremely important, so in the event we were to add both of these stats to a few pieces of equipment, it would cause them to become extremely strong which would then in turn reduce your choices for gear selection. Due to this, we’ll be looking into other ways of bolstering magical accuracy for blue mage other than equipment.

Newer spells and Burst Affinity
We’ve been seeing requests to make it so the magic-based blue magic spells introduced post-Adoulin can be used with Burst Affinity. The spells added after Adoulin have a lot of power on their own, and in exchange for setting their base power very high, we’ve made it so status modifiers cannot be applied. Due to this, when using these spells with Burst Affinity their power does not increase.

However, due to the overall adjustments made to weapon skills in the June version update, we expect there to be more opportunities for skill chains, so we would like to look into revamping the status modifiers.
[+]
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-07-10 18:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

moar buffs

Quote:
he need for accuracy and magic accuracy at the same time
We understand that when fighting high level monsters there are quite severe equipment requirements when trying to land the additional effects from physical blue magic spells as you need to have both physical accuracy and magical accuracy. The development team is currently looking into adjustments for this.

However, battle balance-wise these stats are extremely important, so in the event we were to add both of these stats to a few pieces of equipment, it would cause them to become extremely strong which would then in turn reduce your choices for gear selection. Due to this, we’ll be looking into other ways of bolstering magical accuracy for blue mage other than equipment.

Newer spells and Burst Affinity
We’ve been seeing requests to make it so the magic-based blue magic spells introduced post-Adoulin can be used with Burst Affinity. The spells added after Adoulin have a lot of power on their own, and in exchange for setting their base power very high, we’ve made it so status modifiers cannot be applied. Due to this, when using these spells with Burst Affinity their power does not increase.

However, due to the overall adjustments made to weapon skills in the June version update, we expect there to be more opportunities for skill chains, so we would like to look into revamping the status modifiers.

I still think a "stance" is a better/more balanced way to handle this. One that increases blu att and one that increases macc, but w/e...SE giving away everything to make everyone happy (before end?). Game is too easy now, but they are doing a good job of making me chase down a couple items every update to keep me in. Stupid addiction!! Damn u SE, just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in (with shiny new fill in the blank).
First Page 2 3 ... 101 102 103 ... 449 450 451