The Last Dance: Gearing Paradigms for a New Age
First Page 2 3 ... 72 73 74 ... 117 118 119
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-13 12:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Denali wristbands, merman's earrings, engulfer cape, proper sachet if you're like me and carry most for mobs that only use one nuke element. I wouldn't bother with a MDB Thokcha, and you should be able to stun Gorge or Disgorge, I forget which one it is you have to stun. NIN does have it's moments though over DNC and that's only because of Migawari mostly.
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-13 12:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Absorb ALL the magics!
[+]
 Bahamut.Tokidoki
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Tokidoki 2012-07-13 12:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

LiandraLevi said: »
I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on tanking mobs with high magic damage, like Turul or Glavoid's Disgorge. Really Magic mobs are the only Abyssea mobs that give me trouble on DNC solo or otherwise and wanted additional input. A small group of friends and I are going to farm us up some Empy weapons soon, my NIN is getting leveled but I enjoy DNC a bit more and was wondering a couple of things. 1) First of all will NIN do a superior job vs DNC, should I just finish leveling and gearing NIN(from a tanking perspective only, not considering Red Proc's atm) 2) Dark Rings, Twilight Torque, Avalon Breastplate, what are some other worthy pieces of gear to add to my magic resistance build? +MDB Thokcha? In most situations I will have Shell V. Thanks in advance. Edit: Any specific information on surviving Disgorge is greatly appreciated as well.

I'm doing Glavoid atm for Twashtar and stunning Disgorge isn't such a big deal. Have fought 14ish times now and recast timer on stun is never an issue as it's always ready. With Turul (have fought 10+ times) nothing's going to save you but a decent whm imo ^.~
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-07-13 12:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is mine minus the head and legs :(

Archon would be Shadow if you know...I could get one

And depending how small of a group you are I'd just say NIN it for procs. If you already have a dedicated NIN there's no reason you can't dance. Like Austar said just stun disgorge.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-13 12:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Disgorge is a random multiple of 3,000 distributed to all targets in front, so the only way you're going to survive is to stun it in the short window before it begins to absorb damage, because the stun effect won't land if it lands during physical absorption.

The best way to do that is with a bot to be perfectly honest. It could be my connection but I've never had any luck manually.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-13 12:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You also can't count on having shell up on Glavoid unless your WHM is sticking around for the fight, because it absorbs buffs.
By LiandraLevi 2012-07-13 12:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I got hopeful hearing it could be stunned, then Sylow says it's difficult to do manually. Damn. Should I just expect to die on most pops?

I will have a WHM and possibly a BRD(if Earth Carol helps with the damage?) I'll work on some of these additional pieces of gear as well.

One interesting thing I read on the FFXIwiki discussion page for Glavoid was you can avoid Gorge/Disgorge if you are on a different elevation from the mob, any truth to that or no?
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-13 12:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I got hopeful hearing it could be stunned, then Sylow says it's difficult to do manually. Damn. Should I just expect to die on most pops?

I will have a WHM and possibly a BRD(if Earth Carol helps with the damage?) I'll work on some of these additional pieces of gear as well.

One interesting thing I read on the FFXIwiki discussion page for Glavoid was you can avoid Gorge/Disgorge if you are on a different elevation from the mob, any truth to that or no?
Even if it is true, I don't think it applies to the person tanking.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-07-13 12:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Have the WHM sub BLM and stun it.
 Phoenix.Elspetta
Server: Phoenix
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2012-07-13 12:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Have your WHM come /blm and just stun all of the disgorges. I did my Twash as whm with a nin tank. We tried /dnc to help with the stuns and it didn't work at all. Make sure the whm wears FC/Haste gear for the stun to keep the timer down low. There will be times where you mistime it, but just raise and back tank until unweakened.

We tried this and no matter where we stood, we also took the disgorge to the face.
By LiandraLevi 2012-07-13 13:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I appreciate all the input. Will bring a Stunner for sure. Does Animated Flourish or Headbutt work?

My only time I fought him previously was just leeching a zone win and I had just returned to the game and was basically clueless. Thanks for the help so I don't need to waste pop sets.
 Asura.Cambion
Server: Asura
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2012-07-13 16:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I checked back 5 pages, but couldn't find it mentioned, so if it's been discussed beyond that, I apologize in advance. I even tried to use the Dnc DPS spreadsheets but the item hasn't been put into the document, and when I tried to manually do it, I couldn't get it to work correctly.

Regardless... Oneiros Ring with 10MP merits vs Rajas Ring, for TP'ing.

My current setup is as follows, not elite, but good.

Just thinking of swapping these rings around, since I'll probably have to do it on War anyways.
I'm mainly Dnc inside of abyssea, but I'm curious about this ring, as I notice a trend in the Warrior World of using Oneiros with MP merits. Maybe it's just because we can't access Epona's I'm not sure, so thought I'd bring it up and see if it's even worth a discussion?

Thanks.
 Ragnarok.Acslater
Server: Ragnarok
user: nuuut
By Ragnarok.Acslater 2012-07-14 11:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Um you could just have a ninja tank migawari the disgorge / gorge, that's what I did on my ninja for my friend's ukon.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2012-07-14 12:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Acslater said: »

Um you could just have a ninja tank migawari the disgorge / gorge, that's what I did on my ninja for my friend's ukon.

Migawari really does work wonders for that fight x.x
[+]
 Fairy.Prometheus
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Prometheus 2012-07-14 12:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I found that having the WHM sub BLM for stuns is not very effective. Keeping up buffs after he absorbs brings about a lot of missed stuns not to mention trying to erase slow etc. I didn't help that I had a pretty shotty connection.

In the end the thf tank subbed drk and that worked much better. The tank normally has more haste gear for TP than a mage anyway.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-07-14 13:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Having the whm cast stun works perfectly fine. The only buffs that should really bother you is erasing slow and casting haste.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-07-14 13:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Disgorge is a random multiple of 3,000 distributed to all targets in front, so the only way you're going to survive is to stun it in the short window before it begins to absorb damage, because the stun effect won't land if it lands during physical absorption.

The best way to do that is with a bot to be perfectly honest. It could be my connection but I've never had any luck manually.

how do you get your whm to auto-stun? Using auto-exec? r
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-14 18:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I was specifically answering as if they were going to be trying to solo, so I meant with violent flourish.

Stunning with a WHM or BLM mule is easy enough, but automated stunning is always better than manual stunning.

There are a lot of ways to do that but it's not really the place to discuss!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-07-14 22:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm wondering how useful Dancer will be in the new Dungeon Crawling system. If it's an embrava-fueled zerg, we won't be that good. If it has a lot of merit-party style objectives that don't . . . wait, if we can only go once per day then why wouldn't we always use Embrava?

DNC defeated again!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-15 02:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

if it isnt outright HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE like Nyzul I'd let people bring whatever the *** they wanted tbh, event sounds like something to do for fun
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-07-16 21:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/24498-Terpsichore-and-Glanzfaust?p=338535&viewfull=1#post338535

Confirmed localization issue.
[+]
 Shiva.Vosslerr
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Vosslerr 2012-07-17 03:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

A bit ranty I know but I just wanna blow some steam with some people that probably understand, I have just lost it with some people. Seriously thinking of just cancelling my Content ID. I mean I fell in love with DNC, and I am hated on for maining it. People won't take my advice and switch from their twilight knives. When I know its just hurting them, they refuse to listen.

Then I think well, who should I be to judge these people and I realize that they do actually have a negative impact because Twilight knives and wielding charis hands to TP in are mainstream on DNC and thus aren't even considered for even semi-endgame content on my server.

This is no joke but I actually got so pissed at this dude one day. Actually got GM'ed and deserved it probably. Was doing a lower tier VW, and being on DNC, (and it definately being my best geared job) I asked if I could come DNC. He said and I quote, "I wouldn't take DNC to any VW, ever." I was like seriously? I checked his character, was NIN and had a horrible set of gear, wasn't capped haste and was obviously TPing in Iga body.. Needless to say, I went off, lol. It was probably stupid. But I was offended greatly.

Its not just that but the recently direction of the game has really just turned me off. I don't see how its fun to have 16 wars and 2 schs. Also proc type mobs are getting very old. What I wouldn't give for a change of content. Just really not having fun anymore guys :/ Comments?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-17 03:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Make friends who don't mind you going DNC to stuff on occasion? Shout and make your own VW group?

Grow a pair?
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-17 03:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

People are ignorant, but honestly you just got butthurt way too fast.

DMG very rarely is the issue on VW these days, and DNC deals enough to warrant a spot if you'r geared well(and hey, more procs probably).
Buuuut yeah, it will be like it always have.
Back at 75 only a handful of people would accept DNC in meritparties, and only the same people would allow for people to DNC in events where they were good, like Einherjar.
 Shiva.Vosslerr
By Shiva.Vosslerr 2012-07-17 03:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not really that Sylow, its the fact I get hated on for it. I mean I am just wondering if I am just being an *** tbh. :/ Its not the fact I don't get invited. I try to help others and they don't listen. Is that wrong? I mean isnt that why you made this guide? To show the actual capabilities of the DNC class?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-17 03:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Stupid people will never listen.
You know, the "it's my 10 dorras, so I'll do what I want!" kind!
 Shiva.Vosslerr
By Shiva.Vosslerr 2012-07-17 03:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, but I always figured that was the point of the game, to improve yourself. lol
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-17 03:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

My solution was to make a Mjollnir.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-17 03:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
My solution was to make a Mjollnir.

This is always a good solution.
 Shiva.Vosslerr
By Shiva.Vosslerr 2012-07-17 03:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

/sigh maybe you don't understand. I just figured you would understand what I'm going through. I think telling me to grow a pair was kinda mean tbh. Really kinda looked up to you and Byrth both. Nvmd..
First Page 2 3 ... 72 73 74 ... 117 118 119