Squeenix Might Be Planning To Drop "Enix"

Language: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Squeenix might be planning to drop "Enix"
Squeenix might be planning to drop "Enix"
First Page 2 3 4 ... 11 12 13
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-17 10:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said: »
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
I don't know why everyone thinks a VII remake will save the company.
It won't save it, but I think it would be an amazing nostalgia fix for a lot of people.
That isn't a good direction for a company. I'll be very disappointed if they remake VII. The only reason the I, II, III, IV and V remakes don't bother me is because a lot of people didn't play them, and they're bringing them to a new audience. (Also the fact that they are low budget games to remake) I'd rather Square release new games consistently, than get into the remake trap. Also I know everyone hates SE here, but I honestly don't think the last games they produced were that bad. XII was an amazing game in its own right, XIII was underwhelming for an FF, but still better than a number of RPGs out there, XIV was a huge disappointment but all the recent fixes have vastly improved it. I'm guessing when everyone says SE has gone to ***, they are referencing XIII and XIV though.

I liked 10 a lot. I remember playing blitzball for as many hours as i played some of the other games, total. 12 was indeed a great game, but I spent so much time getting pissed at rare game not showing up that I ended up having to play something else too often (too much content for a completionist?). 8 got entirely too much bad press from fanboys who were jaded it wasnt 7:part 2 with sephiroth jerking off cloud left and right.

XIII and XIV, however, seem like they're not even final fantasies. XIII seems like the *** child of XII and X-2 (don't even get me started on X-2). I am confused as to why they feel the need to change everything and completely break the mold in every game. It's ok to change things up but I feel they are forcing it. When I play 13 I feel as if I'm in a giant "gear" observing the battles through it's HUD. On top of that the "meh" storyline full of over-the-top pink haired emoness made me want to stop playing. 8 was angsty but 13 gets stellar reviews?
XIV i'll try to be concise and brutally honest: It seemed like a third party company tried to re-make 11 with better graphics and poor story/mechanics. If you told me that the company that made guild wars was who was really behind XIV I wouldn't argue with you for a minute.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-08-17 10:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

because , ff7 was downloaded 100,000 times in the first 2 weeks on the playstation network, and its the most downloaded game on psn I think, and at a price of 10dollars, think about it, thats 1million dollars made just for letting people download the data, on a system that already plays ps1 games. Of course when I downloaded ff7, I didn't know all ps3s played ps1 games.......

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Hades.Medjai
Server: Hades
user: medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 10:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all PS3's can play PS1 games, actually most of them can't. Only the first generations have backward compatibility.
you are thinking PS2 games not ps1
[+]
 Odin.Daemun
Server: Odin
user: daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2011-08-17 10:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Ramuh.Rowland said: »

It won't save it, but I think it would be an amazing nostalgia fix for a lot of people.
Where would they go after that?

Indeed.
Resorting to remakes from their golden years seems to be the act one would take to put the final nail on the coffin.
FFVII remake would be a Swan Song
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-17 10:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Medjai said: »
Not all PS3's can play PS1 games, actually most of them can't. Only the first generations have backward compatibility.

It's on a region by region basis.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Rosalee
Server: Bismarck
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2011-08-17 10:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Medjai said: »

Actually, he was right. I have a launch day PS3, it plays PS1, PS2 AND PS3 games.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-08-17 10:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont no about both squarsoft and Enix going downhillbefore the merge. With SS's FF series and enix's star ocean seriers, i was actuly quite happy whne i first heard they were merging. Was hopeing they would be able to do something rly incredable together
By Drjones 2011-08-17 10:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said: »

because , ff7 was downloaded 100,000 times in the first 2 weeks on the playstation network, and its the most downloaded game on psn I think, and at a price of 10dollars, think about it, thats 1million dollars made just for letting people download the data, on a system that already plays ps1 games. Of course when I downloaded ff7, I didn't know all ps3s played ps1 games.......
Because remaking a game is free and guaranteed profit, right?
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-08-17 10:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

They say, (and by they I mean wiki) that ff7 was pretty much the game that sold the ps1, What I really wish they would have done, is Remade ff7 when the ps3 first came out.

I remember hearing reports of people getting shot, when ps3 first came out, I would hate to see how things would have went, if there was a ps3 ff7 exclusive......tbh I may have been 1 of people shooting others if that were true......Beats waiting in line.
By Artemicion 2011-08-17 10:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
The older FF games had plenty of problems.

None of which particularly stood out or mattered in the grand scheme of being a good RPG. The most important being the general storyline and soundtrack. Those two tend to make or break things for me, but the former has been severely lacking as of late; and I certainly don't see it improving on the horizon either.

It went from genuinely good stories with characters that developed as things went along into what I can only sum up as being a Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen Final Fantasy.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-17 10:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not realising how costly the development of a VII remake would be.
By Artemicion 2011-08-17 10:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not realising how costly the development of a VII remake would be.

The legal fees of having your dream team of lawyers just to get the green light to make it alone would be a huge risk assessment and hurtle for cost to profit margin.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-08-17 10:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont no about 'save' them. But it would be great if done right. I was a young chiild when i played my first FF game (7). So it holds a bit more to me.

But what id liek to see is not an actul 'remake' rather leave the storyline and wording (Everything) 100% the same, just with new graphic.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-08-17 10:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »

If they do it right yeah.....

If you look at ocarina of time, another game thats very notorious among gamers, it was remade for the 3ds, and even though I still Not sure how 3ds sells are now, but Im pretty sure It helped sell alot of 3ds's
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-17 10:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Shiva.Flionheart said:
The older FF games had plenty of problems.

None of which particularly stood out or mattered in the grand scheme of being a good RPG. The most important being the general storyline and soundtrack. Those two tend to make or break things for me, but the former has been severely lacking as of late; and I certainly don't see it improving on the horizon either.

Ok lets go through some of the things disliked in the older FF games on release (Noting that I don't agree with all of these, but only that they were only mentioned as a negative part of the games in reviews)

VII: Materia System had a very bad work to reward ratio, 3 party members.

VIII: Junction system was convoluted, Equipment system was shallow, 3 party members, Storyline was lacking

IX: Storyline was lacking, Too easy, each character locked into a role, kiddy graphics

X: Sphere grid was convoluted, 3 party members, bad voice acting, no world map

XI: Online

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-17 11:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »

If they do it right yeah.....

If you look at ocarina of time, another game thats very notorious among gamers, it was remade for the 3ds, and even though I still Not sure how 3ds sells are now, but Im pretty sure It helped sell alot of 3ds's

Completely different set of circumstances. OoT had a minor graphical upgrade and there was no legal issues.

N64 to 3DS is a far smaller leap than PS1 to PS3.

And even OoT had an unchanged soundtrack (Still Midi) due to the fact that the development cost would sky rocket if the music was fully orchestrated. Do you honestly think people will accept a PS3 iteration of VII with a midi soundtrack?
By Artemicion 2011-08-17 11:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually the materia system was very creative, functional and quick to customize. I don't recall anyone bashing on that.

The junction system had potential, but the manner in which to utilize it via the "Draw" system is what made it flawed. Granted, this holds no relevance to 8 having a great story and an amazing score.

IX lacking story, what?
Also it brought back the tradition of having characters fixed to a job class, but enough bases were covered with the amount of playabe characters and the passive job trait system was enough to keep it balanced. Kiddy graphics? Seriously? IX pushed PS1 hardware to the limit if I recall correctly.

X: Won't disagree with you on that one. But the sphere grid was a nice change of pace and allowed for directional options for each of your characters and still had the "hardcore" fill it up option as well.

It seems discrepancies for older FFs you listed are based on much more modern demands for RPGs now as opposed to what was actually available for the time. For what was possible, the old games delivered. With what is possible now... I still don't see the full package, and it's severely disappointing.
By Artemicion 2011-08-17 11:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

My point being gameplay systematics can be worked around or tolerated and don't necessarily make an RPG come to a screeching halt in terms of quality. The content therein does however.

I remember being fustrated with the allocation and elemental system in Chrono Cross, but that didn't stop me from being blown away by everything else.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-08-17 11:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I think thats why I liked ff7 the most, the materia system has been my fav battle system of all the ffs. 8, the thing I hated the most is how your enemies lvl up with you, yeah it was real challenging, but the problem I had, was not knowing the enemies lvled up with you., so I lvled to 100, at the start killing those t rexes by sleeping them, after I was done lvling ,I went outside, and was like WTF. Other then that, I liked 8 almost as much as 7
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-17 11:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

As I said, those aren't my personal views, they were negative aspects of the game picked up in reviews and by critics.

Every FF comes out with bad reviews from the fans, and when the next game comes out the last one is looked upon fondly.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-08-17 11:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly Wouldn't mind the same ps1 music in the ps3 ff7. but I guess I could see how other people wouldn't like it.
By Artemicion 2011-08-17 11:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess it takes the new to appreciate the old.
That seems to be the trend with SE now.

Release something new and fantastic; only to be greatly disappointed by it. Then the past becomes all that much more brighter.
In terms of being brighter, SE's release trend has made the past blindingly bright (ala nostalgia glasses).
It only took 8 years or so.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-08-17 11:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ff 13-2 will probably be slightly better, but right now I have the highest hopes for ff versus 13, I saw the gameplay/graphics, and It looks awesome. hopefully that will be the game that Brings Squarew/e back up, 13-2 Has potential I guess but im not getting my hopes up...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-08-17 11:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Flion meant the character design and not how good the game looked (IX). They were supposed to be 16ish but they looked younger because they were kinda deformed. I actually liked that style but it seems a lot of people didn't.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-08-17 11:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Squeenix could take a dump in a FF7 branded cd case, put a $100 price tag on it and make millions. But that's pretty much the only reason to do a remake. In realistic terms, they wouldn't do a remake of it that didn't live up to the original because they know it'd lose them what little credibility they have left. So while it may make them a ***load (get it? eh? eh?) in the short term, it'd be damaging in the long run unless they did a seriously *** epic job of it. Doing a seriously *** epic job of it would cost them too much, and they're probably scared that they no longer have the talent and skills to do it justice.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 11 12 13