Food 101
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-17 21:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone have a recipe for spinach stuffed chicken or pork tenderloin?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-20 01:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I take boneless/skinless chicken breasts and cut them open to make a pocket and stuff cheese and spinach inside and grill them.

I've also done that same thing, but instead breaded them up fried them til the outside was completely done, then took two slices of tomato and some extra cheese on top and into a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Put a bit of pasta sauce over the top.

This is my general purpose fry breading.
1 cup flour
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, baking powder (not required, but it does make it better)
1/2 tsp salt
Mix it all up, then take whatever food you're going to fry, and dredge it in flour, then into a egg/milk mix (I don't really measure it, something like 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of milk) then drain them off pretty good and drop them into the dry mix and get it coated well then set it aside on a plate and do the rest. Let them rest 5-10 minutes. From there you can give them a quick second coat just in the dry mix before frying them, or you can just put them in the fryer without doing it.

It's actually taken me a while to get a good frying system down.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-20 01:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I take boneless/skinless chicken breasts and cut them open to make a pocket and stuff cheese and spinach inside and grill them.

I've also done that same thing, but instead breaded them up fried them til the outside was completely done, then took two slices of tomato and some extra cheese on top and into a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Put a bit of pasta sauce over the top.

This is my general purpose fry breading.
1 cup flour
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, baking powder (not required, but it does make it better)
1/2 tsp salt
Mix it all up, then take whatever food you're going to fry, and dredge it in flour, then into a egg/milk mix (I don't really measure it, something like 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of milk) then drain them off pretty good and drop them into the dry mix and get it coated well then set it aside on a plate and do the rest. Let them rest 5-10 minutes. From there you can give them a quick second coat just in the dry mix before frying them, or you can just put them in the fryer without doing it.

It's actually taken me a while to get a good frying system down.

I need to try this! It sounds phenomenal!
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-20 01:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, make sure you pound out the chicken breasts before you slice them open. Usually you just wanna focus on the top rounded part and just get that to thin out so it's more flat and even. (That's more for even cooking than clean cutting.)
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2011-04-20 12:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay guys, prepare to have your mind blown by the worlds easiest and most delicious cookies.

Cake Cookies

Ingredients:
1 box of cake mix (any flavor will do)
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (optional, but recommended)

-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
-Start by emptying the box of cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, the two eggs and the 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Stir it up until everything is mixed nicely. You now have cookie dough.
-Next, take 2 large cookie sheets and place parchment paper on them. I find the parchment paper really helps when removing the cookies and makes cleanup a snap. Divide your cookie dough into 16 portions and place 8 lumps on each sheet. Make sure to keep them separated because the cookies tend to spread out quite a bit.
-Bake at 350 degrees on the middle rack for exactly 15 minutes. I usually do one cookie sheet at a time, but if your oven is big enough you could do both.
-After 15 minutes remove your cookies and let them cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before you transfer them to a cooling rack. They're much too soft to move right after coming out of the oven.
-Success! You've just made delicious cake cookies. Enjoy!

The best part about this recipe is that any box of cake mix will work. You can make cherry flavored cookies, french vanilla cookies or even triple chocolate chocolate chip cookies. The possibilities are endless.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-22 14:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's an idea I've been toying with...

If a Reece's peanut butter cup is good, a peanut butter stuffed pretzel is awesome and a chocolate covered pretzel makes my world go around, then a chocolate covered, peanut butter stuffed pretzel may just be the holy trinity of snack food.

Experimenting with it this weekend. Wish me luck! I need to come up with a name for this concoction.
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-22 15:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:

If a Reece's peanut butter cup is good, a peanut butter stuffed pretzel is awesome and a chocolate covered pretzel makes my world go around, then a chocolate covered, peanut butter stuffed pretzel may just be the holy trinity of snack food.

Experimenting with it this weekend. Wish me luck! I need to come up with a name for this concoction.
Pick me up at the airport this sounds amazing!
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-22 15:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Call it Holy Pretzel.
By zahrah 2011-04-22 15:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
zahrah said:

Beer is needed then?
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-22 15:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
zahrah said:

Beer is needed then?
I'm going to have to say Warsteiner Dunkel or Sam Adams Dark. Especially the Sam Adams...it tends to flow rather well with a sweet meal.
By zahrah 2011-04-22 15:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Call it Holy Pretzel.

And so it will be!

Ramuh.Urial said:
zahrah said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
zahrah said:

Beer is needed then?
I'm going to have to say Warsteiner Dunkel or Sam Adams Dark. Especially the Sam Adams...it tends to flow rather well with a sweet meal.

I'm good with either. I need to introduce you to some Shiner though.
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-22 15:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Beer is always welcome. Rarely do I find one I just have no interest to drink...
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-04-22 15:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

P.C.P. Peanutbutter-Chocolate-Pretzels is what I always called them.
yeah yeah yeah Angel dust...
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-22 15:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess I should add this here..

Real Mojitos
Requires:
Limes (need 2 oz. lime juice per drink)
Mint Leaves (6-10 per drink depends on the size of the leaf. Most grocery stores carry them, check in organics section if your store doesn't have an entire fresh herb section)
Sugar
Crushed Ice
Liquor, of course
Soda Water (the carbonated water, it's called all kinds of things)
Straws

Start by using the palm of your hand to compress and roll the lime on the counter, to soften it up, then stick it in the microwave for a few seconds, just til it gets warm. This will help get all the juice out of the lime.

Put 2 oz lime juice, one heaping teaspoon of sugar 1-1.5 oz of liquor** the mint leaves (stack them, and then rip them in half before putting them in the glass) and just enough crushed ice to cover the liquid. Now if you have one use a muddler (can also use the back of a cooking spoon that has a wide handle) and smash everything down 4-5 times. Fill the glass nearly to the top with crushed ice, put in 1 oz. or so of soda water to top it off, then put in a straw (really important to use the straw, it's just not the same drink if you don't use one, trust me).

**Technically you're supposed to use White Rum, but I find a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Rum and Tequila tastes better.**

A Mojito is by far my favorite mixed drink.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-22 15:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess I should add this here..

Real Mojitos
Requires:
Limes (need 2 oz. lime juice per drink)
Mint Leaves (6-10 per drink depends on the size of the leaf. Most grocery stores carry them, check in organics section if your store doesn't have an entire fresh herb section)
Sugar
Crushed Ice
Liquor, of course
Soda Water (the carbonated water, it's called all kinds of things)
Straws

Start by using the palm of your hand to compress and roll the lime on the counter, to soften it up, then stick it in the microwave for a few seconds, just til it gets warm. This will help get all the juice out of the lime.

Put 2 oz lime juice, one heaping teaspoon of sugar 1-1.5 oz of liquor** the mint leaves (stack them, and then rip them in half before putting them in the glass) and just enough crushed ice to cover the liquid. Now if you have one use a muddler (can also use the back of a cooking spoon that has a wide handle) and smash everything down 4-5 times. Fill the glass nearly to the top with crushed ice, put in 1 oz. or so of soda water to top it off, then put in a straw (really important to use the straw, it's just not the same drink if you don't use one, trust me).

**Technically you're supposed to use White Rum, but I find a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Rum and Tequila tastes better.**

I may have to use this this weekend too!
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-22 15:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds sweet, I prefer the spicy bloody mary.

2 shots vodka

8ish ounces of tomato juice (bonus points if you can find the v8 hot flavor juice

about half a lemon of lemon juice

teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

pinch salt pinch garlic powder

a couple icecubes

and a couple dashes of hotsauce, how could i forget that

Tall glass and a celery stick to stir
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-22 15:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
P.C.P. Peanutbutter-Chocolate-Pretzels is what I always called them.
yeah yeah yeah Angel dust...

It's been done before!?! Crappo!
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-22 15:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It's pretty rare to do anything in cooking that hasn't been done..
 Diabolos.Mesheef
Server: Diabolos
user: Mesheef
By Diabolos.Mesheef 2011-04-22 15:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Long one here get ready.

Parmesan Crusted Asiago Peppercorn Chicken
Alfredo Shrimp pasta

Some parts I cheat to save time. E.I. Asiago/Alfredo sauce (Your choice on sauce.)

Chicken breast (Thawed, Not Frozen)
Vegetable Oil
Parmesan
Peppercorn
Shrimp any size, I prefer larger
Garlic powder (eases the texture vs actual garlic)
Sea Salt

Fill a sauce pan with oil and bring to a medium temp on the stove. Begin filling with Parmesan until pan looks like it is more filled with a wet Parmesan over dry Parmesan or too much oil.

Once you have it cooking it will slowly being to lightly bubble, Not boil but just letting the air pockets rise. At this point Stop frying the Parmesan and put it into a baking pan at a slight angle. Best to use a small baking pan inside a larger and leave it at an angle on the rim of the larger pan. The reason behind this is to separate the extra oil.

Bake in the oven at 425 degrees F. Doesn't take long to burn the Parmesan at this point so you need to be careful and eyeball it a lot. When you pull it out DO NOT TOSS THE OIL!
You will need the same oil for the shrimp.

While your Parmesan is crusting in the Oven begin trimming the fat off the chicken breast if there is any. Refill your Sauce pan with fresh oil. Raise the temp to a mid-high on the stove.

Remember to check on your Parmesan.

Once your Oil temp has been raised and your chicken has been trimmed you will place the chicken in the oil only long enough to sear the outside of the chicken closed to hold the juices of the chicken. The should only be a matter of seconds. It turns the chicken white almost immediately.

Check your Parmesan if you haven't pulled it out by now it could very well be burned and you must restart.

Boil a pot of water for your pasta.

Once all your chicken has been through the oil place it in a Baking pan. Spoon the Crusted Parmesan over the chicken and dab some Alfredo or Asiago. Take the Garlic Powder and the Peppercorn and Sprinkle it over the Chicken. Then Place in Oven at 425 degree's F for 20-25 minutes. (Varies on elevation.)

Take the oil that you saved from the separation from the Parmesan and place in a sauce pan to begin to cook your Shrimp. Season it with some garlic, sea-salt and Peppercorn. For anyone that has never put shrimp in hot oil to cook it. It does not take long.

Once the Shrimp is done pull it off the stove and set it to the side til your paste is done then strain the pasta and dump shrimp inside.
When you serve pasta just pour warm Alfredo or Asiago over the pasta and that portion of the meal is done.

Oven buzzer goes off and simply pull it out of the oven and place next to the pasta. Take a spoon and scrape the extra out of the baking pan and place on top of the Chicken for extra flavor.

Be Forewarned this is a very un-healthy meal.... But the taste is well worth the sit-ups you will need afterward.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-04-22 16:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

When it gets cold here, one of my favorite meals is chili and bread. This is a recipe I make sometimes when I need a good, hearty comfort meal:

Frontier Chili:

You will need:
5 pieces of bacon, sliced into small pieces
2 pounds beef shoulder cut into small pieces (bite sized)
1 red onion, diced
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp (more to taste) crushed red pepper
12 oz. hot chunky salsa
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans stewed tomatoes
half a can of beer (any kind works)
cayenne pepper (to taste)

In a large stew pot, cook the bacon until done. Add the meat and cook until it's brown. Add diced onion, turn the heat to low, and allow to cook for about 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, simmer for 3 hours. You will likely have loads of leftovers, which is great because it tastes even better re-heated.

Edit: Important! Remember to DRAIN the cans of beans and stewed tomatoes, and do not go overboard on the half can of beer. Otherwise you will have runny, soupy chili.

I usually make this bread to go with it:

Cornbread

You will need:

1.5 cups cornmeal
2.5 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 9 inch x 13 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix the flour mixture and cornmeal mixture. Add the eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into the greased pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife poked into the middle comes out clean.

If you don't like cornbread, you can also eat the chili in a bread bowl. Buy a sourdough bowl. Slice the top off (don't throw it away!) and pull some of the bread out of the inside, leaving half an inch to an inch of bread on all sides. Spoon chili into the bread bowl until full. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Replace the top you sliced off. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes, or until you can't stand the yummy smell anymore and must eat it. Use the bread you pulled out to dip into the chili, if you like.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-04-23 12:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

;; Why is this thread dead! We love food! Ok, here's another one. This makes a naughty but delicious breakfast and a yummy snack.

Easy Pull-Apart Sticky Buns

You will need:

3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter, melted and divided
1/3 maple syrup
2 tubes (6 oz each) refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits
1/2 sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese

Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle pecans into it. In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and 2 tbsp. butter; pour over the pecans. Set this aside.

Separate the biscuits and split each one in half horizontally. Place remaining butter in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar.

Cut the cream cheese into 20 cubes. Roll each cube in the sugar mixture. Once sugared, place each cube in the center of each piece of dough. Fold the dough over the cheese cube and pinch to seal the edges tightly. Dip one side of each cheesed biscuit into the butter, then the sugar mixture.

Arrange biscuits in the prepared pan, sugar side UP. Pour any remaining butter over the top and sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Eat them while they are warm and moist and sticky! Refrigerate leftovers and heat them for a moment or two in the microwave before eating them. Yum yum!
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-13 16:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I made chicken penne alfredo just now.

My time management skills sucks, and I burnt the sauce, but it's edible.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-22 21:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, this is going to be a bit long, a lot of it isn't absolutely necessary, but I put a lot of work into my meals.. This is my version of chicken and rice. For all the seasonings/herbs, use about a half TSP, add more to your preference

Marinade: (Not necessary, but it makes a huge difference, do this step the night before)
Chicken (works with most any portion, never tried with wings though)
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chicken broth
Garlic (3-4 cloves)
Onion Powder
Black Pepper
Parsley
Basil
Ground Thyme (use an 1/8 TSP of this, it's pretty strong stuff)
Ground Cumin
Paprika

In a sauce pan, melt the butter over medium to medium-low heat, crush the garlic in a garlic press, best if you double press it, press it out on a plate first, then put it back through directly into the butter. Let it lightly simmer for a minute, add in the other ingredients, let it simmer for 15 minutes, set it aside, or in the fridge to cool. Once it's cool, set aside about 3/4 to 1 cup of the marinade (the rest can be saved in the fridge for future use, might not be practical for everyone, but I use it a lot and have plenty of bottles to keep it in) and fill the injector, pull back the skin, don't completely remove it, but you want to expose the meat. Inject the chicken with the marinade, put it in a bowl or dish that you will let it marinate over night in, continue with all the chicken.

Rice mix:
1 1/2 cups white rice
1 can Chicken broth (or about 2 cups) make up the rest of the 3 cups of liquid for the rice with water
1 can of cream of chicken soup, or cream of mushroom, works great with both
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli florets
2 cloves garlic
Parsley
Basil
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. WHILE you're doing that, take the chicken out of the fridge, sprinkle with parsley, onion powder and pepper, pull the skin back up over the meat (sealing in the seasonings).

Put another cup of water in the rice and mix well, then pour into a 9x13 baking dish (I really suggest also putting the baking dish on a very big cookie sheet with a rim to hold in the liquid, or at the very least laying down foil in the oven to trap any spare liquid/juice/rice mix that boils out) smooth/even out the mix (so that the liquid and rice is evenly distributed) then place the chicken on top, cover the pan tightly in foil and put in a preheated 375 degree oven, cook for about 40 minutes, remove the pan from the oven, remove the chicken, stir the rice mix, add another 1/2 cup of water to the mix before stirring if the chicken is still not quite done, put the chicken back, leave the foil off and back in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Make sure to stir the rice before serving.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-31 15:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Burgers a la Slip

Waiting a bit to grill 'em
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-31 16:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

They were good. Kudos, Slip!
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-31 16:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I left my phone in my room plugged into my laptop so I could post the first picture :/
By zahrah 2011-05-31 16:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Burgers a la Slip

Waiting a bit to grill 'em

That looks good! Gas or charcoal?
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-05-31 16:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just now seeing this and I'm amazed at all the chefs here ^^. Its pretty awesome :). I'm a chef myself (currently working at an lolOlive Garden) and I LOVE to cook, so I'm gonna backread this thread lol.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-31 16:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:

That looks good! Gas or charcoal?

Gas.

I wouldn't call myself a chef, Eik, I'm quite the noob cook.