Bismarck.Calina
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2011-03-15 15:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
On average I also watch about 20 movies, even at the best quality, they're about 800MB-1.2GB each,
What kind of short *** movies are you watching to get them that low on best quality? I get 700MB-1.3GB for most movies at the lowest quality... right now I'm looking at a 3.49GB torrent for Avatar.

The sizes look to be DVD rip so 480p slandered def and that 3.39 sounds like a full-disc rip off a DVD tho that's still seems a bit small so I'm not 100% sure what it is.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2011-03-15 15:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
On average I also watch about 20 movies, even at the best quality, they're about 800MB-1.2GB each,
What kind of short *** movies are you watching to get them that low on best quality? I get 700MB-1.3GB for most movies at the lowest quality... right now I'm looking at a 3.49GB torrent for Avatar.

I have Avatar here, and I still have never watched it.

Downloading Age of Mythology because I have never tried it :o

EDIT:

Pft, I know someone besides me has to have their media in .flac. Bigger is clearly better people :P

Movie itself wasn't all that great but the visuals where absolutely stunning you should give it a watch.

I also have all my music in .flac^^(ripped from my own cd's since I've never found any site besides what.cd that has .flac but still most of what a listen to just isent there /sigh)
 Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taigatan
By Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding 2011-03-15 15:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Calina said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding said:
Crunchyroll 720p videos are closer to 300MB each.
Kinda depends on who you do it from and what you downloading. Like if I ever bothered to download most my 1 hour TV shows in 720 they'd be slightly over 1GB

1hr TV show usually = about 42-44 minutes without the commercials in 720p that's 1.10-1.11gb's.

1hr movie station TV show(think Dexter Spartacus) usually = about 58-59mins in 720p that's 1.45-1.49gb's.

Average 90min movie in 720p = 4.00-4.45gb's.

Average 90min movie in 1080p = 8.00-8.5gb's.

I've been ripping dvd's in 720 to about 1.1gb files... movies mind you.

I'm not going to get into an encoding argument here, but those are some huge file sizes in the above posts... 1GB for a 22 minute anime TV show? Maybe for a CoalGirls blu ray 1080p I could see 1GB... but for standard 720p anime shows I've seen about 300-400MB and I've tracked the bandwidth from Crunchyroll's site as being about 300MB per 720p streaming show.

But yes it does add up when you follow up to 20 shows a season or more like I've been known to do.

Anyway the live action TV shows are probably a bit different and if you're talking blu ray versus DVD you're going to get different sizes as well. But ripped from TV anime shows should never be 1GB... the encoder is just wasting space and peoples bandwidth at that point.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-15 15:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I have Avatar here, and I still have never watched it.

Downloading Age of Mythology because I have never tried it :o EDIT: Pft, I know someone besides me has to have their ***in .flac. Bigger is clearly better people :P
Oh not actually downloading just doing a quick check to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

And yeah omg I know someone that does all there music in .flac... I tried once. Yeah sorry 40MB for a song is kinda rediculous
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-15 15:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure what quality dattebayo rips are but they're only about 170mb per episode and they're in .avi

When I've been ripping I've been using .mkv
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-15 15:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

truth be told I don't know much about this encoding business, just a noob in it. But idc what quality you're downloading 400+gb/month is insanity.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-15 15:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
I'm not sure what quality dattebayo rips are but they're only about 170mb per episode and they're in .avi

Yeah they were nice... too bad they pretty much gave up
 Bismarck.Calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2011-03-15 15:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding said:

I'm not going to get into an encoding argument here, but those are some huge file sizes in the above posts... 1GB for a 22 minute anime TV show? Maybe for a CoalGirls blu ray 1080p I could see 1GB... but for standard 720p anime shows I've seen about 300-400MB and I've tracked the bandwidth from Crunchyroll's site as being about 300MB per 720p streaming show.

But yes it does add up when you follow up to 20 shows a season or more like I've been known to do.

Anyway the live action TV shows are probably a bit different and if you're talking blu ray versus DVD you're going to get different sizes as well. But ripped from TV anime shows should never be 1GB... the encoder is just wasting space and peoples bandwidth at that point.

Yes sorry i was referring to live action anime are usually around 300mb from what i remember.(Stopped watching anime because of all the filler bull I just read the manga's of all the anime I used to watch)
By Taigatan 2011-03-15 15:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

DB has never really been known for their amazing encoding quality but the vids don't look terrible and the file sizes are reasonable.

Some stuff from this season in MKV h.264 stuff...

GG - Puella Magi - 400-600MB... they've been all over the map with this show.
Ayako - Onii-chan - 350-400MB

Most stuff it coming in around the 300-400MB range... anything more than that the encoder is probably using constant quality with an RF rating that is way too low and just adding MB to the size but not necessarily any quality.

Edit
@ Calina
Yeah I would imagine live action would be very different... I'm not a huge encoder, I've more so dabbled in it, but when I've done some TV shows from my DVD's I've always noticed that live action is way higher than animated.
 Bismarck.Calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2011-03-15 15:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

dattebayo rips where slandered def because at the time that was what was airing on tvtokyo. They didn't start airing in HD till after crunchyroll got the streaming rights
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-15 15:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Even being a pirate and using torrents and sites to watch movies online with, I doubt I'd hit 250GB a month.

You wouldn't. In the UK we have a fair usage policy and I rarely hit over 100Gb unless It's format month.

I've only ever hit 250Gb once and I'm a huge pirate/downloader in general.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-15 15:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Calina said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
I'm not sure what quality dattebayo rips are but they're only about 170mb per episode and they're in .avi When I've been ripping I've been using .mkv
dattebayo rips where slandered def because at the time that was what was airing on tvtokyo. They didn't start airing in HD till after crunchyroll got the streaming rights
Meh I'm not a quality freak and at the time I was on a much slower comp with less HD space so I liked smaller sizes
By Secaoftitan 2011-03-15 15:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info on general file sizes. When Fairpoint does this eventually, it's good to see my wife and I should be fine. These caps are still ridiculous and these CEOs all deserve a kick in the balls.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-15 15:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Secaoftitan said:
Thanks for the info on general file sizes. When Fairpoint does this eventually, it's good to see my wife and I should be fine. These caps are still ridiculous and these CEOs all deserve a kick in the balls.

not really, there's a severe bandwidth problem in America (and other places too I'm sure), it costs them money, putting a cap or charging extra for more is to be able to provide better service for everyone not just data hogs.

If anything it should be lower than 250gb, as that's a very large number.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-15 15:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of bad weather knocking the weather out... it's raining pretty hard out of there... and alot of lightning/thunder... well we'll see
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-03-15 15:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Speaking of bad weather knocking the weather out... it's raining pretty hard out of there... and alot of lightning/thunder... well we'll see

See ya tomorrow.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-15 22:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

speaking of encoding and what not, what all files and encoding does the xbox support?

or what's a better fileserver to work with the 360 (after the last big update I can't get ps3mediaserver to work the way I like)

I have some h.264 files from dattebayo which are .avi's

and some rips of my own that are .mkv

not to mention some mp4 files like amvhell and the like

I have a computer that I'll be setting up basically just to stream files and I'm debating on if I should throw xp or 7 on it, or if I should try to hunt down a copy of media center edition, ideas?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-15 22:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
See ya tomorrow.
Psh
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-15 23:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

or another issue as I'm new to the encoding thing, I have some dvd's of shows and I want to rip the episodes into separate files, is there a program that detects this automatically or would I have to filter out the chapters manually? Preferring not the latter as encoding takes time and I have quite a few dvds to go. IE: House
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2011-03-15 23:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

not really, there's a severe bandwidth problem in America (and other places too I'm sure), it costs them money, putting a cap or charging extra for more is to be able to provide better service for everyone not just data hogs.

If anything it should be lower than 250gb, as that's a very large number.

{Lie}
If that was the case, those companies would start losing money, and they are way far from that my friend.

That whole bandwidth cap idea started with every damned ISP once people started dropping their cable/sat companies for netflix.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-16 00:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

it is very far from a lie, in fact that's exactly one of the reasons they put a cap on it, because they were starting to lose money. The infrastructure can't keep up with the demand, go do some research on it.
[+]
 Sylph.Michizane
Server: Sylph
user: Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2011-03-16 00:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I Have a question. I'm not very tech savey, so i have no idea how much bandwidth i actully use. I only use internet for small downloads (mainly files for school and work) PSN and FFXI on two system, since my sister plays. I use AT&T, so does anyone know if i would be at risk of capping? :x

*edit* I also watch netflix every once and awhile
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2011-03-16 00:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Michizane said:
I Have a question. I'm not very tech savey, so i have no idea how much bandwidth i actully use. I only use internet for small downloads (mainly files for school and work) PSN and FFXI on two system, since my sister plays. I use AT&T, so does anyone know if i would be at risk of capping? :x

Depends on how much you watch Netflix, but even then, you should be fine unless you run it 24-7 lol
 Sylph.Michizane
user: Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2011-03-16 00:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

thx :x
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-16 00:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Michizane said:

most people probably don't go above 5-10GB/month max, even with some random streaming.

I probably don't even hit 50 and most downloaders probably don't hit 100, 250 is a very generous cap. They're just doing it so they can maintain the speed/service for low cost to the other people who pay and don't use that much data IE: like you.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-16 00:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

from what I can tell the main problem with US's data is mostly just the vast land size it has to cover. It costs money to run fiber, and it has it's limits too.
[+]
 Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2011-03-16 01:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

AT&T apparently will be only charging people who "consistently" go over this limit. In addition they didn't expect this information to be in the media this early. They were going to do mailers next month.
By Kano1012 2011-03-17 08:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Man I am glad I dont have a cap. I do about 1.2 terabytes a month lol